PDA

View Full Version : Kids online

Atomic646
Apr 12, 2008, 07:24 AM
On 2008-04-11 11:31, Tianna wrote:
Sorry but I didn't see a correct way to vote IMO.

Explanation: I am 36 year old mother and I don't agree with KB or Voice with people typing or using bad language with my children in and out of the room. I do not use bad language around them and ask peeps online to watch what they say if my kids are present. Most are very nice about it and reply with an "I'm sorry". Most are respectful but of course there are some that are not.

In a nutshell, I know there are those out there that enjoy(in a childish way) using bad language and will probably even curse me on here for saying what I am, but it is unneccesary to tempt(in my case) 9 or 11 year olds into repeating what they hear/read and possibly getting them kicked out of school for copying others.

Sorry for the rant but this topic hit a nerve. My 11 year old is in detension for writing a bad word on his desk.

Uh...no offense to you or anything but if parents are so worried about thier kids repeating what other people say, then don't buy them xbox live. It's the internet people say whatever they want. If you ask people to stop using bad language when your kids are present then ok, But I disagree with what your saying about no KB or Mic.

I prefer mics, It's easier and faster to communicate. When there's 12yr old's, You can't go wrong with mute or Blacklist http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Notice: This topic was originally part of headset or keyboard. (http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?forum=20&topic=173608)

Kairi_Li
Apr 12, 2008, 08:28 AM
On 2008-04-12 05:24, Atomic646 wrote:

On 2008-04-11 11:31, Tianna wrote:
Sorry but I didn't see a correct way to vote IMO.

Explanation: I am 36 year old mother and I don't agree with KB or Voice with people typing or using bad language with my children in and out of the room. I do not use bad language around them and ask peeps online to watch what they say if my kids are present. Most are very nice about it and reply with an "I'm sorry". Most are respectful but of course there are some that are not.

In a nutshell, I know there are those out there that enjoy(in a childish way) using bad language and will probably even curse me on here for saying what I am, but it is unneccesary to tempt(in my case) 9 or 11 year olds into repeating what they hear/read and possibly getting them kicked out of school for copying others.

Sorry for the rant but this topic hit a nerve. My 11 year old is in detension for writing a bad word on his desk.

Uh...no offense to you or anything but if parents are so worried about thier kids repeating what other people say, then don't buy them xbox live. It's the internet people say whatever they want. If you ask people to stop using bad language when your kids are present then ok, But I disagree with what your saying about no KB or Mic.

I prefer mics, It's easier and faster to communicate. When there's 12yr old's, You can't go wrong with mute or Blacklist http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Indeed.

Fact is, gaming is not just for kids. Its a social environment for people in all ages, there is BOUND to be some swearing.

If you really want zero swearing influence on your kids, unplug your TV and toss it out, get rid of the internet, keep them off the streets and don't even think about letting them go public schooling. Home school all the way yo!

The semi Amish life style is the only way to truly ensure the kid won't learn any more swears, nor will give him a place to swear to impress others. (Not that it actually does. People hate it when a 12 year old says the F word every 2 seconds.)

In all seriousness, if you wanna let them play games online, you're gonna have to accept the fact that you are letting them interact with people older than they are. If that really bothers you, stick to PG MMOs like the Disney Pirates of Carribean or something. If you feel they are not ready for it, or have the maturity to not swear excessively to try to sound adult, then don't let them play. Let them know there is a consequence for their actions. That you won't let them play if they do that, and that people like US will get ticked off by kids who wannabe adult but fail to do so by swearing excessively.

And once they hit around 15 years old, a couple of hell, dammits and crap isn't that big of a deal unless you're super religious. The F word might be a bit iffy...

Still, even if the crowd they hang out with online don't swear, it doesn't stop them from talking about more... adult things. Once they go online, its all out of your control. As a parent, its your job to decide if they SHOULD go online. Letting them go online but not giving them means to communicate frustrates your kids AND us other players. No one wants to play with people who can't communicate in some form.

People swear, not because they are trying to be "childish" as you claim us to be, but cause they are trying to express the way they feel. If they are frustrated with something, "gosh darn" just doesn't cut it. "Oh Gee golly gosh, I just spend 11 million meseta by accident." is less effective than "Oh GODAMMIT!" And trust me when I say, swearing lets you vent your anger and frustration in a verbal, but non physically violent manner. I rather have someone swear then bang their fist on the table like a mad man just cause some football team lost a match.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kairi_Li on 2008-04-12 06:34 ]</font>

Tianna
Apr 12, 2008, 09:00 AM
I should have made myself clear, I guess, but i agree with all everyone is saying. For the record, I myself play PSU, my son does not. Swearing is a way of life and I know that. The real point is that I consider myself a good parent and i wish other parents could control their children a little better online or not let them play online if they can't find the time to do so. And the problem is not with KB or mics it is with a small group of people not caring what they say even if there are children present. Copying others is natural for kids and I don't expect to "shield them from life" but I can at least keep the "bad influence" down to a minimum (the same way I don't let them watch explicit murder movies or rape scenes at this impressionable age. There will be enough juveniles coming from this generation without me contributing to the numbers.
Just to wrap up, I just wish for a little more understand from some people online and I do agree that the good outweigh the bad. I really love playing with others online and PSU is my get away from RL.
OK, no more posts from me, my rant is done. MOST ALL OF U ROCK, btw....lol

ABDUR101
Apr 12, 2008, 11:57 AM
I have afew sisters to each have their own sets of kids. The one set will swear when its just them or 'the guys', however the other nephew is more controlled and doesn't even really say anything put-downish, "You suck" is about the most he'll say; because he knows his parents don't approve of swearing at all and he abides by it.

The ones who swear are the ones not on Xbox LIVE or the internet, while the one who doesn't swear at all is on the net and Xbox LIVE all the time. When I setup LIVE for him I explained to his mom that they can't control what others say, there's going to be people saying all kinds of filthy and fucked up things and it comes down to the individual(i.e. my nephew) to restrain himself or to take part.

Don't expect random people to be pillars of high moral fiber for your kids, you're the role model and if you raise your kids properly and they have a good head on their shoulders, they'll be ok. But when you tell someone online "Hey don't swear, my kid is here", you're kind of setting a bad example; not everyone in the world is going to acknowledge or care what YOUR standards are. The world is a mixed bag, of which I'm sure you're aware; but teach your kid to deal with people who are rude, ignorant, who swear and put others down etc. That will make your kid stronger and more resilient to falling in and taking part, as opposed to "Well if mom's around, they can't swear and neither can I" it will be "They can say whatever they want, but I know I don't have to do the same thing just to fit in."

I tell all my nephews that I'm not a role model, and while I hold back quite abit when they're around I'm not going to keep it 100% 'Good Times" material just for them. I tell them they know what they are and aren't allowed to say/do, that they need to abide by what their parents expect of them when it comes to such things and not use me or anyone else as a 'guideline'.

Frana
Apr 12, 2008, 12:15 PM
It even says "Gameplay experience may change during online play."

-#1 Thing to make people swear on x-box live-Forza, spinnig out on the last lap into the dude in first place.

ngagerebel
Apr 14, 2008, 10:59 AM
The big mistake parents make is sheltering their kids from this kind of stuff. They need to be shown and taught the is not polite or correct to use that kind of language. If parents Shelters kids to long from something. when they are not around to *SHELTER* them from it. its going to be like a new found toy or something that they want. You can't shelter your kids from everything

Calamity
Apr 14, 2008, 04:21 PM
On 2008-04-14 08:59, ngagerebel wrote:
The big mistake parents make is sheltering their kids from this kind of stuff. They need to be shown and taught the is not polite or correct to use that kind of language. If parents Shelters kids to long from something. when they are not around to *SHELTER* them from it. its going to be like a new found toy or something that they want. You can't shelter your kids from everything

ya its the same with teenagers if there parents dont give them enough freedom to go party and what not now then when they go on a vacation or senior trip there normally the ones that go to out of control and end up missing or something sheltering kids and teens to much can end up in bad results you should let them learn whats wrong and whats not with their understanding of the meaning

ngagerebel
Apr 14, 2008, 07:26 PM
[/quote]

ya its the same with teenagers if there parents dont give them enough freedom to go party and what not now then when they go on a vacation or senior trip there normally the ones that go to out of control and end up missing or something sheltering kids and teens to much can end up in bad results you should let them learn whats wrong and whats not with their understanding of the meaning

[/quote]

to a certian extent. You can't over protect them but you can't let them be a loose cannon either. but for example I was raised on the most violent and vulgar movies. My parents always told me you know the isn't real or those words are not polite. pretty much they said "there is a time and place for everything" lol but when it came to violence they had a strict policy on that. I could watch whatever I wanted but if I got into a fight at school or what not I was punished lol. and Im not f****** in the head. lol maybe...

Atomic646
Apr 15, 2008, 10:03 AM
Lol!!! Nice moving my post to make a topic Admin. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

BlaizeYES
Apr 16, 2008, 11:11 AM
On 2008-04-14 14:21, LILC wrote:

LOL. not quite. your values start at home, not at PARTYING. it really doesnt help anything if the kid is given no guidance and complete freedom all his life and still only thinking about finding a "party" or "fitting in" with other kids. if you dont have any beliefs to guide you, then the experiences you "gain" are just going to FUCK you up more or you're just going to completely miss the mark

Calamity
Apr 16, 2008, 05:06 PM
i didnt mean no guidance at all =0

Nitro Vordex
Apr 16, 2008, 06:05 PM
Online or off, I really don't cuss that much. I just don't see the appeal in adding the f word every sentence.
I've heard so many people just throw it around, it's rediculous. To me, it's not offensive, just annoying that you can't find another word to use. I'm looking at YOU, the people who are waaayy too influenced by rap.

When I do cuss, I try to make it "appropriate", e.g., I stub my toe, or add it to make something humorous with emphasis, And of course, fustration.

I heard sooo much swearing as a kid. I didn't care, I thought it was funny, though I knew/know better than to repeat it. The most I usually say is crap, dammit, and hell. Those just seem appropriate. Or frickin' as a substitute. Swearing is just pretty much a fact of life; it's universal, swearing is in every language. If it's in every language, then it's understandable that it can be easily spread around, especially with today's society. I respect other people if they don't like me swearing too. I always respect that.

Leviathan
Apr 16, 2008, 06:34 PM
I alway thought voice chat would be a cool feature in games but the kids in my class made me think differently. The TC reminds me of school.

I consider the people in my class to be kids, even though they are 15-17.
I'm younger than them &I have a lot more tact.

All they ever say now is the n-word followed by a cluster cuss words. They use this in every sentence when they speak, &it's just really annoying. They are also avid users of X-Box 360 games, &they speak like that in their games of Halo 3, &Call of Duty 4.

All I ask for is for them to get a better vocabulary, stop being racist, &quit with the middle school level homophobia. They need to grow up.

Nitro Vordex
Apr 16, 2008, 07:14 PM
On 2008-04-16 16:34, Leviatha wrote:
I alway thought voice chat would be a cool feature in games but the kids in my class made me think differently. The TC reminds me of school.

All they ever say now is the n-word followed by a cluster cuss words. They use this in every sentence when they speak, &it's just really annoying. They are also avid users of X-Box 360 games, &they speak like that in their games of Halo 3, &Call of Duty 4.

All I ask for is for them to get a better vocabulary, stop being racist, &quit with the middle school level homophobia. They need to grow up.

Why can't there be more people like you Levi? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Objectorz?

Leviathan
Apr 16, 2008, 09:54 PM
On 2008-04-16 17:14, Nitro_Vordex wrote:

On 2008-04-16 16:34, Leviatha wrote:

Why can't there be more people like you Levi? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Objectorz?

Few people make the world go 'round.