PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye pso :(

PSOgamer17
Apr 13, 2008, 01:51 PM
PSO took up all of my time for a good 5 years. Such a great game, inovative, and it rarely got old for me. However as we all must do, move on. I have moved onto World of Warcraft now to feed my rpg crave. For those who would like to play WOW with a fellow PSOer i will give you all one of my chars names.
Lenardo, 35 hunter, on vashj, exiles guild. look forword to a pst hopefully, thank you all for a fun run, and this will most likely be my last log.
Best Wishes http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

DC_PLAYER
Apr 13, 2008, 02:45 PM
ain't wow a curse on pso?
anyway, good luck with WOW, have fun dude.

3---Hit---U
Apr 13, 2008, 03:33 PM
PSO can still be played offline.

WoW is a mmo and is stupid.

PSO is still online if you look deep inside google, I mean your heart.

Nitro Vordex
Apr 13, 2008, 04:06 PM
WoW?

dude, you've really fallen if you're playing WoW. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

Retehi
Apr 13, 2008, 06:39 PM
God forbid people play other games, other than PSO. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

Nitro Vordex
Apr 13, 2008, 06:41 PM
No, just don't play WoW. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

Kunithrayin
Apr 13, 2008, 07:12 PM
WoW is ok but it's like most games where you can't really do anything fun or interesting or get any cool stuff until you are a really high level and you have to buy everything instead of finding it, or you can do a dungeon and know within like 20 items what your drop is going to be...

NegaTsukasa
Apr 13, 2008, 08:33 PM
WOW. your playiong WoW? sheesh.
I would never compare or direct myself to WoW over PSO.
there is still something called the "Private Servers." Its not all dead and gone.

SStrikerR
Apr 14, 2008, 06:36 AM
^ yea, either look in 3 hit u's retartedly posted, "look deep in google, I mean your heart."
You can tell right there that you'll need google for something.
Then you can look in NegaTsukasa's post, and find that you are looking for private servers.

So, what we know so far- Google is a search engine.
Private servers are what you're looking for.
Figure it out.

enoch
Apr 14, 2008, 10:42 AM
On 2008-04-13 16:39, Retehi wrote:
God forbid people play other games, other than PSO. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

yes he does....i belive its in the bible >.>

RemiusTA
Apr 14, 2008, 03:17 PM
On 2008-04-13 13:33, 3---Hit---U wrote:

You...DO know what PSO is, right?

AlexCraig
Apr 14, 2008, 03:22 PM
A DC, GC, Xbox game that can be played both online and offline.

Karyyk
Apr 20, 2008, 07:21 PM
Well, I'm still enjoying PSO...

Seriously though, I've tried PSU and a good many of the MMORG's, and none of them really do it for me. PSO keeps me coming back...

cashizslick
Apr 21, 2008, 10:02 AM
pso ftw. play online. its fun.

Frog
Apr 25, 2008, 12:53 PM
On 2008-04-13 13:33, 3---Hit---U wrote:

Thank you my friend! I had no idea what joy I could find in my heart. I had no idea!!!

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

PSOgamer17
Apr 27, 2008, 03:43 PM
honestly i don't have the stuff to play online anyways my house got hit by lightning and my gamecube, luckilynot my mem cards were fried, so i occasionally play at friends houses. Anywho, what is so bad about WOW, anyways? sure it is a very different game, but i non the less enjoy it.

VanDarkmind
Apr 28, 2008, 12:05 PM
On 2008-04-20 17:21, Karyyk wrote:
Well, I'm still enjoying PSO...

Seriously though, I've tried PSU and a good many of the MMORG's, and none of them really do it for me. PSO keeps me coming back...

Absolutely agreed.

Ragna_Divide
May 7, 2008, 06:06 PM
... honestly, as fun as PSO was, a lot of the fun was the fact that you could achieve everything on your own. In terms of depth, storyline, combat, graphics, customization, and pretty much every even pseudo-quantifiable area, World of Warcraft doesn't just beat Phantasy Star Online. It solidly trounces it. This is, of course, half on account of the fact that PSO was created in (and not substantially updated since in terms of basic gameplay) the era of the Dreamcast... and half because PSO was never intended to compete in the same arena as MMORPGs.

PSO's a relatively simplistic and shallow game that just happens to be really fun. A bit like Diablo II (minus some depth, which is saying a lot given that D2 was never exactly 'deep') in that regard, just with 3D graphics and a sci-fi twist. This may be a good thing for some, but honestly... assuming that someone likes both genres, I sincerely doubt such a person could argue that WoW isn't far, far, far ahead in terms of game design and execution.

That said, I did enjoy PSO for years off and on... but every last part of me is more than willing to admit that most of the rationale behind that is the simple fact that I love the look / feel of the Phantasy Star series. I suggest this because I believe that if you reskinned PSO to be a swords-and-sorcery title and changed Pioneer 2 into a castle and Double Sabers were just two broadswords stuck together, PSO wouldn't have lasted six months. Hell, ST didn't even really expect PSO to last six months as a viable online game back in the old days.

That isn't necessarily a bad thing. Creating a compelling and enjoyable setting is a very often overlooked (and difficult!) aspect of game design. Even if far too many quests just ended on a relatively pointless note, offered no benefit, too many quests and items were online only (hurray useless Photon Drops for offline players), and didn't really have any coherent point... the 'feel' of the setting perservered.

The fact that it was on a console also probably contributed greatly to its popularity. Rare hunting was another huuuuuuge badge on PSO's chest. The fact that you knew a really sweet rare item could be five seconds around the corner at any point in time encouraged long, long hours of play that I'm sure most if not all of us indulged in.

As far as PSU goes...

PSU at least mercifully has the benefit of a far more compelling combat system, more customization, far more to do, yadda yadda. Though I'll definitely admit that until recently when I checked on what'd changed in PSU since release, I considered PSU to be total garbage. ST managed to save PSU from a total collapse into failure and bye-bye, though, and the present state of it is rather enjoyable. Still shallow, but I don't think PSO players wanted a full MMO experience anyway. And there's something to be said for being able to log on, play for fifteen minutes and have a (small) shot at some cool rares before logging off again... a quality that PSO and PSU both had.

Assuming there's a third Phantasy Star Online-esque game, I really wish they'd change a few things though... like making it so that partying with people is a GOOD thing instead of - generally speaking - a BAD thing (less chance of getting a rare if it drops, etc) unless you're grinding levels. But I don't want them to turn the PSO franchise (if it continues) into an MMO. Rather, I would like to see that... just not at the expense of them potentially releasing another game like PSO and PSU. If I ever want to go back to MMOs (no time for endgame stuff these days), I already have quality games like WoW, FFXI, etc.

There aren't enough games of PSO's / PSU's type out there.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ragna_Divide on 2008-05-07 16:08 ]</font>

calus88
May 8, 2008, 09:17 AM
how could u say that about one of the greatest RPGs. and then on top of bailing on one of the best games ever, u switch to a game like world of warcraft. i personally am ashamed of u sir

Vanzazikon
May 8, 2008, 03:08 PM
It's kind of ironic that your name is PSOgamer17 but you would choose WoW over it. I mean if I had PSO in my name hell, I would be a hardcore PSO player.

Say, why don't you try to play both? That's what I'm currently doing.