PDA

View Full Version : school vionlence

enoch
Apr 14, 2008, 01:49 PM
its getting really bad isnt it. My JP teacher told me its HORRIBLE in japan. anybody know anything relating to school violence

not violins

Anduril
Apr 14, 2008, 01:56 PM
During my junior year of High School we had a "race war". Supposedly it was an issue between a group of Latin kids and a group of Black kids, and eventuall tons of people started to take sides with them. It led to lots of problems with the administraion, etc. etc. After some digging I found out what had really happened. It had all just started as a fight between 2 girls over a guy. Eventually their friends started ebbing them on to fight, and they just happened to be latin and black. And thus things went out of control. That is the mind of the teenager in this day and age: The way to solve a problem is to fight and get more friends to fight. Wierd thing is that the school mostly consisted of White and Asian kids.

enoch
Apr 14, 2008, 01:58 PM
o.o my school is almost all white...tiny school. violence usually just erupts between rednecks and ummm not rednecks

rogue_robot
Apr 14, 2008, 02:47 PM
Heh, we had a "terrorist" incident here at my college last year. Some grad student got really depressed about a really shitty math exam score, charged into the civil engineering building (where most math classes are held here), and locked himself in a room with a bag of powdered sugar after phoning in a bomb threat (and all of this at 2:00 AM).

The only reason it was blown up into an incident of "terrorism" was because the guy just so happened to be in the United States on a student visa (pure coincidence - he wasn't involved in any terrorist organizations, he just had a severe stress-induced nervous breakdown; his friends and family back home, if I remember straight, immediately sought professional psychological help for him when he returned). As usual, though, just because he was a foreigner (though not even actually from the Middle East), some people immediately began making assumptions...

It isn't really a problem where one of my uncles spent his undergrad years, though (somewhere in Utah, don't remember exactly which). Anyone who wanted to start shit there with a gun would get capped in the ass from at least 3 different directions instantly, just because students and professors alike are allowed to keep guns with them anywhere on campus, even concealed. All the angsty, suicidal gunmen go to shoot up the nearby mall where guns aren't permitted instead.

I wouldn't say this violent streak is increasing in prevalence throughout the population inasmuch as the normal percentage of the population which has this violent streak (as a quantity in relation to the total world population) is acquiring more convenient methods of acting on their violent impulses. In short, there have always been this many twisted, violent misanthropes compared to normal, sane people, they just haven't been enabled to go on killing sprees so easily at such young ages until recent times (basically until firearms and their ammunition became inexpensive and readily available).

ljkkjlcm9
Apr 14, 2008, 04:21 PM
Did you really have to make this topic... this week? Especially with the 1 year later thing in 2 days at my school. UGH!

THE JACKEL

Sord
Apr 14, 2008, 10:53 PM
Earlier in the year it was discovered freshman were holding boxing matches in the mens' bathrooms. Kids would all get passes to go to bathrooms, then fight there. Earlier in the year, the school gave some speech on the school working together. I'm pretty out of touch with the student body but from what I understand it (once again) had to do with the freshmen acting up. I've heard rumors that drugs (and even the trafficing of them) are even worse in the middle school than in the high school. Supposedly, with each year the shit's passing into the high school. This is the first year in three years we haven't had a bomb threat (one of which kept us outside for 4 hours in 80 degree weather on a blacktop, NOT FUN.) Luckily this is my last year.

enoch
Apr 15, 2008, 09:09 AM
o.o sorry jackel. i just have to do a paper over it at school. I

Sord
Apr 15, 2008, 11:15 AM
On 2008-04-15 07:09, enoch wrote:
o.o sorry jackel. i just have to do a paper over it at school. I

Did your post get cut off or something? Looks like you were going to start another sentence.

enoch
Apr 15, 2008, 12:58 PM
I probably was XD but I just forgot. I......>.>

Seority
Apr 15, 2008, 01:58 PM
LOL dur?
I go to a public school. There's at least one fight every day. 99% of the time it's the black kids though. We had an ambulence here today. A vistor to the school got inbetween one. XP
Why you ask?
1) Our district thinks it's a great idea to ticket kids who don't come to school. So the kids that don't want to be there have to be there, and it really bothers the kids who do want to pass high school to have to deal with them everyday.
2) They act that way in the first place because they didn't get a good beating when they did wrong (thanks to the oh so helpful child abuse laws), so they act very immature and don't know squat.
Sad, sad world our future is.

Solstis
Apr 15, 2008, 02:00 PM
On 2008-04-15 11:58, Seority wrote:

2) They act that way in the first place because they didn't get a good beating when they did wrong (thanks to the oh so helpful child abuse laws), so they act very immature and don't know squat.
Sad, sad world our future is.

Or maybe they were abused as children. Or neither. Way to analyze.

Vanzazikon
Apr 15, 2008, 02:07 PM
You should see my school, every time you walk in you could locate where every gang hangsout. 90% of fights in my school is gang related. My school consists of 1/4 of whites, blacks, yellows and browns. It's very diverse; a melting pot if you will. I really hate gang problems. Fights are always fought for stupid reasons with them.

HUnewearl_Meira
Apr 15, 2008, 03:46 PM
Blame the parents. Parents are the irresponsible party that is responsible for this state. They seem to have the impression that you can just produce a child, give them a little boost at the start, and let them wander off under their own power. They get so wrapped up in whatever they were figuring on doing anyway, that they fail to instill a proper set of values to their offspring.

Parents ignore their children, fail to teach them respect, and consequently, because of our culture's "Don't blame me!" philosophy of late, they are surprised when their unguided spawn brings a semi-automatic weapon to school, and guns half of his classmates down. It's absolutely disgusting, and if something isn't done about it soon, then it's going to kill us, as a race.

Blitzkommando
Apr 15, 2008, 04:16 PM
I went to a rather homogenous middle-class public high school. The worst 'fight' was a snowball fight that found its way into the lobby area followed by a particular fellow getting angry about getting hit in the back of the head with a snowball. His worst? He mooned everyone in the lobby. Needless to say, it was a good laugh.

I'd say what made fights pretty much nonexistent was the fact that the parents were, overall, fairly involved with their children growing up and through high school. It also helped that with many of them the kid would get a good beating on the butt if they did pull some stupid shit. Discipline when done correctly doesn't have to be used very much because the kids wise up and stop doing what they aren't supposed to be doing. Go to Dayton and it's the opposite. Little discipline, little family involvement, and tons of problems and violence. Schools make terrible parents. Parents need to step up to the plate, like they still do for the most part in this area, and be what they are: parents. Oh, and stop listening to that quack Spock, damnit.

Monochrome
Apr 15, 2008, 09:37 PM
We hardly ever had any cool violence occur when I was in high school... darn officer-on-campus-at-all-times...

Leviathan
Apr 15, 2008, 09:52 PM
There are officers in my school now since last year apparently people were smking weed &doing cocaine in the bathroom.

One of the on-campus-police fell asleep in a chair. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

Solstis
Apr 16, 2008, 12:57 AM
Honestly, you don't have to beat your children in order to get them to obey. Follow my parents' example. Guilt your teens, make them fear your passive aggressive powers. Leave them with mental scars, not physical ones.

Vanzazikon
Apr 17, 2008, 02:14 PM
Sorry for bumping this topic up but something happened yesterday at a local high school next to my house. Check this out: http://www.ksee24.com/news/local/17853669.html

Apparently a 17 year old Sophomore from Roosevelt High school Fresno, California, brought a 21 inch baseball bat to school (the bat was cut at the handle and wrapped in electric tape so it could fit in his backpack). At 11:50AM or around there, he went to a building where they would house police officers at the school. The student "lying in wait" for an officer to come out. When officer Junus Perry exited out of the building the student struck him on the head, Officer Perry fell down bleeding from the wound he received when he was struck in the head. Officer Perry rolled around but his gun magazine fell off and the student walked towards him raising the bat, that's when Officer Perry took a gun from his ankle holster (probably a .357 or .38 snub nose) and shot the student in the chest. The student twitched a little then died right on the spot.

The school was then placed in lockdown and the incident was telephoned to all parents notifying them of the shooting.

People are trying to find out why this student tried to kill the officer. Some say he was mentally ill and suffered from dyslexia. I thought it was probably a gang initiation for a Mexican gang. others said that the Officer in the past had angered the student and the student seeked revenge, after all the said to the battered officer, "what are you going to do now."

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Vanzazikon on 2008-04-17 12:20 ]</font>

Seority
Apr 17, 2008, 02:40 PM
My dad beat me as a child. I learned.
My mother takes my computer away. I go to DreX's.
Most parents don't even do either these days. They just don't care about their children much anymore. Most of the mothers I used to work with had their kids in daycares 80% of the time, and went out every week to drink and etc. Sad sad world.

Oh and I saw a pair of 3rd grade boys try to fight each other just like the ones in my high school do. I could only shake my head. I feared for the future of this world when I thought of how young there are, yet are already influenced to do violence.

I wonder which is a bigger threat? Planned violence, Van's example, or reckless violence, like mine? Planning to kill, or accidently killing?

Anduril
Apr 17, 2008, 02:45 PM
My parents never hit me, except for one time, but after that they used the fear of the pain in order to keep me in check. Mental abuse FTW! But really it helped me become a well adjusted person. I don't have violent tendencies and I don't have authority issues. I think that the trends of school violence have to do with a mix of parenting and the mental predisposition of a child. IF either is slightly off it probably results in these kids that are "off".

Frana
Apr 17, 2008, 03:07 PM
I quit the high school to go to the Alternative one. There hasn't been any violence there(as opposed to the normal one) the teachers actually help you, and we get out at 11. It rules.

Shiba1227
Apr 17, 2008, 04:59 PM
It's a shame to see parents not care about their own flesh and blood. Makes me terrified of what will happen in the future.

Randomness
Apr 17, 2008, 06:28 PM
And people wonder why our prison system is so overloaded. Its not really just parents either, the vast majority of society in generally will just shake their head and walk away, helping never enters their head.