PDA

View Full Version : Fortegunner: EVA or DEF?

Persecution
Apr 16, 2008, 10:46 PM
Just wondering as far as body slots go if i should be getting more DEF for my CAST Fortegunner or more EVA. CASTs already have huge DEF so i was thinking more EVA but i guess more DEF on top of massive DEF already would be a good thing...thx for feedback!

Talise
Apr 16, 2008, 11:07 PM
doesn't really matter, most of the attacks are manually dodged as a gunner anyway, either one is fine.

Zorafim
Apr 16, 2008, 11:55 PM
If I'm not mistaken, Def is nearly useless, while evasion actually does something. The formula was something like, four or five points subtracts one point of damage? Considering how much damage you're taking, it'd take alot of defense to do anything worthwhile.

Really though, the body slot is better suited for other things. Resist and elemental boost units should be what you're looking for. If you can't get your hands on those, or if you don't care about elemental matching enough, I guess you could try for evasion.

beatrixkiddo
Apr 17, 2008, 12:18 AM
Resist units. If, on the off chance there is absolutely NO NEED for a Resist unit in the mission you're playing, use an Rainbow unit.

If you're a green armor wearer, then my advice to you is to gtfo.

Persecution
Apr 17, 2008, 12:18 AM
Thx guys, i was thinking about getting a rainbow slot for him anyway so that'll work! =D

dc534
Apr 17, 2008, 01:38 AM
Here is what I am using as of now, doing mother brain missions.

I bring two armors.

46% dark Delette Line +2 to my end(till I find that castest line and it comes out decent)
50% lightning Storm Line (Well I got lucky synthesizing and well those laser guys hit for a lot)

Units:
Optional sori mind, I say optional because well 75+ mental is good but only one of my armors uses all slots.
Cati power
Legsless rainbow (+18% element is better than orpad guard)
Hard Stamina +6 end

I take 110-118 damage from unbuffed deljaban megid, I play fighgunner giving another +2 end which puts me at 20 end, basically once you hit 21 end deljaban megid will never effect you. I rarely if ever die from megid. The dogs hit me for a whopping 90-127 damage, anything less than 127, which is I guess a critical will never knock me down. Oh I forgot to mention my fighgunner card is not even maxed out.

One more note, if you can afford to give up a little evasion, most acrofighters most definitly can, get a legsless rainbow it is well worth it, in my opinion it has many advantages over the orpad guard if used properly. If you go neutral for armor or are to lazy to switch back and forth between armors than dont get it. Overall it is better than an orpad guard because the orpad guard adds to your defense where the rainbow adds to element, the difference is that element means less damage from both physical and magic attacks where dfp is only against physical attacks.

Now I only need to work on getting a 50% dark castest with all the above and I should be able to get through all dark missions without a hiccup.

Hrith
Apr 18, 2008, 06:47 PM
DFP does make a significant difference. My cast uses the same shields as FG or FF, and the difference in damage I receive is huge.

If you're a major shotgun user, having DFP and EVP is nice, because shotguns will get you mauled, in the long run.
High EVP allows the abuse of Just Counter, I cannot say no to that.

High EVP is not a good thing for Dus Majarra, though (cancel, cancel, cancel, cancel, cancel, etc.)

High DFP is always good, no drawback.

I use GRM shields, anyway, decent amount of both, and highest MST (lol cast).

Randomness
Apr 18, 2008, 08:34 PM
fG doesn't have any situation where Majarra is called for.

beatrixkiddo
Apr 18, 2008, 10:09 PM
Indeed. The only time FG needs to melee is Degahna, and they should use Daggas over Majarra, since Majarra's windup causes you to fall out of Degahna's... rear alcove.

Hrith
Apr 19, 2008, 10:25 AM
On 2008-04-18 18:34, Randomness wrote:
fG doesn't have any situation where Majarra is called for.Hmm okay, is that a joke?

Dus Majarra is the best PA Fortegunner can use on any bullet-resistant monster, and if you have played a gunner class for long enough, you know how dreadfully numerous those are.

A Fortegunner without a spear on the palette is a failure.

On 2008-04-18 20:09, beatrixkiddo wrote:
Indeed. The only time FG needs to melee is Degahna, and they should use Daggas over Majarra, since Majarra's windup causes you to fall out of Degahna's... rear alcove.Actually, the main reason is because Dus Daggas has better range and hits two parts of the boss instead of one -> much higher damage.

TakNatali
Apr 19, 2008, 12:19 PM
Killer shot is not the solve all for fGs against bullet resistant monsters. I've got to agree with Hrith in that a spear or even saber is a good palette choice for fG.

Hrith
Apr 19, 2008, 01:06 PM
People use KS for bullet-resistant monsters?

Which ones exactly?

Most bullet-resistant monsters are immune to Incapacitate Lv4 >_>

Aorre
Apr 19, 2008, 02:54 PM
I find that Majarra works a lot better for monsters like Ubakrada, Kamatoze etc, because it's tedious to constantly position yourself with a shotgun. Just throwing that out there.

Dragwind
Apr 19, 2008, 03:58 PM
I would chose EVP over DFP almost every time, especially since your Majarra usage shouldn't be much, otherwise go play a fighter. If you absolutely feel you need Majarra for something, equip a GRM or Yohmei armor for that situation, then unequip it. Same goes for units is you're using those for dfp/evp. (I don't see it needing much use other than bosses, or if you tend to think you're a dps fga. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif )

Randomness
Apr 19, 2008, 06:40 PM
On 2008-04-19 08:25, Hrith wrote:

Dus Majarra is the best PA Fortegunner can use on any bullet-resistant monster, and if you have played a gunner class for long enough, you know how dreadfully numerous those are.

A Fortegunner without a spear on the palette is a failure.

Lets see... is there room on my palette for a spear? Hmm... nope, I've got it covered in guns.... shotgun, laser, rifle, grenade, twins, crossbow... Thats six.

Even if the enemy is bullet resistant, that does nothing about the other source of fG damage with guns. Burn and virus will wreck the enemy either way. fG gets the goodness of traps. No, there really isn't a situation I'd bother to put a spear on my palette for, a SABER is far more than enough, and doesn't compete for palette space since there aren't any on-hand guns.

Before you start trying to force Majarra down people's throats, theres no point in using as a fG. Anywhere you'd use majarra, I can easily match the damage with burn traps and a shotgun.

EDIT:As to your groundless attacks on KS, its for robots. And all those pesky robots ARE vulnerable. Large enemies are already better dealt with using traps and multi-hitting weapons, such as grenades or shotguns. Someone else said they can't always line up Ubakradas for shotguns... Have you tried grenades? They get stunlocked easily, for the most part they end up sitting there getting pounded, and the rest of the party has a punching bag.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Randomness on 2008-04-19 16:44 ]</font>

DarkEliteRico
Apr 19, 2008, 11:51 PM
Brings up a quick question for the Mastergunner as well, would you suggest a orpad / guard or legs with them, i'm tired of being hit for so much and getting knocked way the fuck back from those mobs at mother brain. Just looking for ya'lls two cents worth for that as well cause i'm already carrying the resists as well, just want something extra for some situations

Aorre
Apr 20, 2008, 12:02 PM
On 2008-04-19 16:40, Randomness wrote:
Lets see... is there room on my palette for a spear? Hmm... nope, I've got it covered in guns.... shotgun, laser, rifle, grenade, twins, crossbow... Thats six.
Twins, lol. And you're not always going to need a grenade on your palette before the boss, so that can be easily swapped in and out.

Before you start trying to force Majarra down people's throats, theres no point in using as a fG. Anywhere you'd use majarra, I can easily match the damage with burn traps and a shotgun.
Not on Onma/Dimma.

Someone else said they can't always line up Ubakradas for shotguns... Have you tried grenades? They get stunlocked easily, for the most part they end up sitting there getting pounded, and the rest of the party has a punching bag.
Yeah, except for the part where parties are notorious for making Ubakrada run rampant all over the place. If anything, it's harder to land that initial knock-down shot if you're not running ahead and getting the enemy to synch on your screen first.
Traps + Majarra/Hikai work nicely because...well, what's the point in creating a punching bag if you can kill it, or at least severely cut its HP, while people are just starting to get their hits in?

TakNatali
Apr 20, 2008, 10:56 PM
KS IS meant for robots, which is what i meant when i said "bullet resistant monsters" seeing as most of those happen to be robots...idk for sure but seems like most of the monsters that don't take well to bullets are metal and clanky http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Dragwind
Apr 21, 2008, 05:42 PM
I haven't heard of anyone else using KS on other resistant enemies besides bots, haha.

Hrith
Apr 21, 2008, 08:27 PM
Lets see... is there room on my palette for a spear? Hmm... nope, I've got it covered in guns.... shotgun, laser, rifle, grenade, twins, crossbow... Thats six.Lv20 Dus Majarra has better DPS than Lv40 twin handguns most of the time.

Before you start trying to force Majarra down people's throats, theres no point in using as a fG.I'm not forcing anyone to use anything, you perfectly have the right to suck.

Anywhere you'd use majarra, I can easily match the damage with burn traps and a shotgun.Shotguns Lv40 + Burn Trap G does not match the damage of Dus Majarra Lv20 and 30% 9* spears on bullet-resistant monsters, quite far from it, actually. That you are unaware of this proves how you know nothing about Fortegunner.

Same with a few bosses, like Dus Majarra on Magas Maggahna (until its lower body blows up) and Dus Daggas on Adahna Degahna is the best DPS a Fortegunner can achieve in these situations.

EDIT: As to your groundless attacks on KS, its for robots. And all those pesky robots ARE vulnerable. Large enemies are already better dealt with using traps and multi-hitting weapons, such as grenades or shotguns. Someone else said they can't always line up Ubakradas for shotguns... Have you tried grenades? They get stunlocked easily, for the most part they end up sitting there getting pounded, and the rest of the party has a punching bag.I think you have really no idea who you're talking to.

Here's what my Fortegunner uses:

Burning Shot Lv40
Frozen Shot Lv40
Plasma Shot Lv40
Grav Shot Lv40
Rising Shot Lv40
Dark Shot Lv40
Mayalee Shot Lv40
Killer Shot Lv40

Barada Riga Lv40
Barada Inga Lv40
Barada Diga Lv40
Barada Yoga Lv40

Boma Riga Lv40
Boma Diga Lv40
Boma Duranga Lv11

Burning Prism Lv40
Frozen Prism Lv40
Plasma Prism Lv40
Dark Prism Lv40

Yak Banga Lv40
Yak Diga Lv40
Yak Yoga Lv40
Yak Megiga Lv40
Yak Zagenga Lv40

So don't even try to lecture me about Fortegunner, you are just clueless about the job.

You're just one of those crappy Fortegunners giving us a bad name.
I mean you're using twin handguns, rofl.

MrNomad
Apr 21, 2008, 10:53 PM
O noez, a fG using twins. How dare he not take advantage of enemies who most of the time can't ever hit fG's because of their range difference by using rifles. Rick http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

Dark Emerald EXE
Apr 21, 2008, 10:58 PM
Hmmm im gettin interested in
Fortegunners..... Saw my friend solo true darkness S2 in about 6-7 minutes ( not counting boss)
n even tho i was in the party i didnt touch anything so he did solo just in case someone say somethin XD

TakNatali
Apr 22, 2008, 12:18 AM
Hrith i'm still a bit new to fG, what exactly is on your palette? I don't need weapon names just types please, curious as to what you use, assuming its something like rifle/spear/shoty/nade..etc. Thx! Also, would lving a couple Twin Handgun PAs and Xbow PAs be a good idea if i'm planning on using GT as well?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TakNatali on 2008-04-21 22:19 ]</font>

Jarek
Apr 22, 2008, 01:13 AM
On 2008-04-21 18:27, Hrith wrote:

Here's what my Fortegunner uses:

Burning Shot Lv40
Frozen Shot Lv40
Plasma Shot Lv40
Grav Shot Lv40
Rising Shot Lv40
Dark Shot Lv40
Mayalee Shot Lv40
Killer Shot Lv40

Barada Riga Lv40
Barada Inga Lv40
Barada Diga Lv40
Barada Yoga Lv40

Boma Riga Lv40
Boma Diga Lv40
Boma Duranga Lv11

Burning Prism Lv40
Frozen Prism Lv40
Plasma Prism Lv40
Dark Prism Lv40

Yak Banga Lv40
Yak Diga Lv40
Yak Yoga Lv40
Yak Megiga Lv40
Yak Zagenga Lv40

I'm disappointed kef.

And I thank you for not telling me I sucked the other day when I was using twins against onma.

beatrixkiddo
Apr 22, 2008, 07:43 AM
On 2008-04-21 20:58, Charger89 wrote:
Hmmm im gettin interested in
Fortegunners..... Saw my friend solo true darkness S2 in about 6-7 minutes ( not counting boss)
n even tho i was in the party i didnt touch anything so he did solo just in case someone say somethin XD

Now go watch a Fortefighter solo it http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Pandorasbox
Apr 27, 2008, 01:43 PM
Back to the topic:
Why not all the units mentioned? It isn't hard to swap stuff doing a mission. So invest in them all. I carry a few units myself. Just judge what the situation calls for and optimize your abilities.

Tetsaru
Apr 28, 2008, 06:05 AM
Imo, evasion is better than defense for a fortegunner. Most of the time, you'll be far away from stuff to dodge it anyway, and if not, you'll be able to block it often. Just Counter is awesome with shotguns, btw. :3

And personally, I've NEVER had the need for a spear or other melee weapon as a FG. I'd just use something like a Burn G trap if I need extra damage. Often times, I can just flinch-lock enemies until they die. No point in having to run up to stuff to kill it, unless you're using a shotgun. Evasion is bad for trying to pull off a good melee combo anyway. And only lv20 skills? Meh. If it doesn't die after you shoot it... just shoot it again. =P

darkante
Apr 28, 2008, 06:23 AM
On 2008-04-28 04:05, Tetsaru wrote:
Imo, evasion is better than defense for a fortegunner. Most of the time, you'll be far away from stuff to dodge it anyway, and if not, you'll be able to block it often. Just Counter is awesome with shotguns, btw. :3

And personally, I've NEVER had the need for a spear or other melee weapon as a FG. I'd just use something like a Burn G trap if I need extra damage. Often times, I can just flinch-lock enemies until they die. No point in having to run up to stuff to kill it, unless you're using a shotgun. Evasion is bad for trying to pull off a good melee combo anyway. And only lv20 skills? Meh. If it doesn't die after you shoot it... just shoot it again. =P

There is certain cases which i dislike to admit that
Dus Majara really speeds up in..like taking down those spike shelled enemies on moatoob.
Or kamatoze..anything which is bullet resistant and have multiple hit points.

But seeing as we finally got a very much needed boost as MaG came up for rifle´s which affects lv 31+ which gives knockdown each shot.
Spear is less needed. =)
Stun infinite coupled with lv 4 burn/virus status really made me happy to use rifle´s again. X)

KaffeKane
Apr 28, 2008, 07:46 AM
Facsinating, facsinating. The arguments here are quite informative.

But as far as the main question goes...

If you lean toward gun usage, then go for high EVP, but Bea's chide about Resist units is valid, especially since Stun/Resist has come around. I want one of those! D:

If you mix a bit of meele in with your guns, then go high DFP and high ele%, with a Rainbow unit, but don't rule one too far against the other.

EDIT: I just saw that Rifles 31+ are getting KNOCKDOWN?! :3 :3 :3

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: KaffeKane on 2008-04-28 05:55 ]</font>