PDA

View Full Version : Afro Samurai: The Game

Frana
Apr 17, 2008, 03:22 PM
Seriously, if this is gonna just be a hack-and-slash, count me out. What would rule would be if this was an MMO, and there were, say, 50 top ranked players and you could kill them for their headbands until you get #2 so you can fight the top-ranked. They would change hands constantly. That would rule. Thoughts?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Frana on 2008-04-17 13:23 ]</font>

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Apr 19, 2008, 09:37 AM
That does sound like an interesting premise and if it has an addictive action gameplay type with some amount of depth, it could be successful. If people can't always be online in an arcade type arena, maybe also taking in the AI of top fighters to be pitted against in a Virtua Fighter style would be good to have as well. Doesn't have to be an MMO, considering those are based on grinds/subscriptions/newer content released at a gradual rate.

What is the current game turning out to be instead?

Figuring it won't be that great considering its an Anime license series to game deal, but haven't heard anything about this.

Got some links? I don't have the time right this second to go find the info myself, plus I figured this topic would have some to start out with and go from there.

Frana
Apr 19, 2008, 10:10 AM
http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/afrosamurai/index.html

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KfyOjsZupyc

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Apr 19, 2008, 10:46 AM
Thanks.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=83YKC2PgoQM&feature=related
^
Development stuff one, blatant use of Nas' One Mic there in some weird remix but don't mind it as a soundtrack to that clip.

Hands-on Preview
V
http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/afrosamurai/news.html?sid=6189281

Looks more like an Onimusha type of action game with some Shinobi "Tate" kill elements. Comic book cut ins seems nice, but its at an early stage looking more of a PS2 quality build. Hopefully it gets real stylish with brushstrokes perhaps like an Okami/SF4 thing. Since this anime/show/cut apart movie was basically really about the style and not soo much plot/story/dialogue.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HAYABUSA-FMW- on 2008-04-19 08:47 ]</font>

granis1233
Apr 21, 2008, 07:57 AM
i'm a fan of the show but a game shoude never be made.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Apr 22, 2008, 09:57 PM
On 2008-04-21 05:57, granis1233 wrote:
i'm a fan of the show but a game shoude never be made.

The show/movie was soo short, a game would actually be much more of a story/deal/basically anything "more."

Monochrome
Apr 22, 2008, 10:07 PM
Graphics look nice, but yeah so far seems like alot of hack and slash to be had. If it were DMC or NG quality I'd be ok with it buuuut...

Why does it always have to be a "hope against hope" situation for games based on licenses? *sigh* What was the last licensed (especially anime) game to not only be good but actually exceptional and add something new to the scope of games in general?

Hokuto no Ken (Black Belt) on Master System?

granis1233
Apr 24, 2008, 09:40 AM
if a game is to go throue i say let it have PS3 grafices.

amtalx
Apr 24, 2008, 09:49 AM
I'm not sure about this one... Most anime games are destined for failure. Most of the time they are only amusing if you are a slave to the source material (I'm a GITS whore). IMO, the source material for this one was pretty bad. Too much sword swinging and not enough time spent making me actually want to sit through it.

Frana
Apr 24, 2008, 09:11 PM
On 2008-04-22 20:07, Monochrome wrote:
Graphics look nice, but yeah so far seems like alot of hack and slash to be had. If it were DMC or NG quality I'd be ok with it buuuut...

Why does it always have to be a "hope against hope" situation for games based on licenses? *sigh* What was the last licensed (especially anime) game to not only be good but actually exceptional and add something new to the scope of games in general?

Hokuto no Ken (Black Belt) on Master System?

Certainly not Dragon Ball Z. Burst Limit looks really bad...

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Apr 24, 2008, 10:03 PM
I was going to mention the Ghost in the Shell PS2 game getting mixed reviews, but figured it didn't add anything new or innovative to gaming. But if its at least a passable, good, regular game its still worth it like amtalx said if you like the source material, bonus if you get it cheap later on.

This series didn't have a ton of source material to begin with and I already played plenty of DMC/Onimusha/Genji/SamChamploo game. Never picked up the Shinobi or Red 'something' sequel though. Got kinda burned by paying $50 on release for Yakuza, $40 on that SamChamploo so I'll wait this one out, even if it might be a sort of lower quantity release-harder to find later.

watashiwa
Apr 25, 2008, 12:28 AM
On 2008-04-22 19:57, HAYABUSA-FMW- wrote:
The show/movie was soo short, a game would actually be much more of a story/deal/basically anything "more."

It's funny you mention that...

http://tv.ign.com/articles/830/830285p1.html

It's old news... but still.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Apr 25, 2008, 01:02 AM
Alright.

Now when I get receipt checked by the door security when they see the receipt and break the ice with "Are they going to make a Season 2 of that?" when seeing the AfroSam1 DVD, I can say yes.