PDA

View Full Version : Flower, Sun, Rain.

Frana
Apr 17, 2008, 04:04 PM
OK, so with my newfound love of Suda 51, I looked up all his games. Now, this was originally on PS2, but they ported it ti DS and the DS version is coming out over here soon. Is this any good? Are they gonna port the PS2 version too?

Eihwaz
Apr 17, 2008, 04:11 PM
On 2008-04-17 14:04, Frana wrote:
Is this any good? Are they gonna port the PS2 version too?

Anything that involves the warped genius of Goichi Suda being more available to the English-speaking world is GOOD. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_yes.gif

Also, since the game only ever existed previously on the PS2, I would assume that that's the version that they're porting.

Based on the plot synopsis on Wikipedia, it doesn't sound quite as compelling as killer7, but it sounds interesting nonetheless.

GoichiSuda
Apr 17, 2008, 04:13 PM
The PS2 version won't be ported its ages old. The DS version is already out in Japan. You found a confirmation for the US version? Whose the publisher?... I could only find a confimation for the Euro version.

Randomness
Apr 17, 2008, 07:05 PM
Er... I fail to see how "ages old" is relevant to porting. Look at the FFI-VI ports.

Nitro Vordex
Apr 17, 2008, 07:15 PM
Never seen these games, or heard of them.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Nitro_Vordex on 2008-04-17 17:15 ]</font>

GoichiSuda
Apr 17, 2008, 08:34 PM
On 2008-04-17 17:05, Randomness wrote:
Er... I fail to see how "ages old" is relevant to porting. Look at the FFI-VI ports.

Other then the fact that the PS2 version isn't being ported... It is a quirky Japanese mystery game that came out at the beginning of the PS2's life cycle and has PS1 graphics. The company that developed the title is an Independent developer and would lose more money translating the game than they would gain selling it. How many people in America do you think will buy a PS1 graphiced Japanese mystery game?

On the other hand it will make for a fine DS game, graphic and story wise.

Eihwaz
Apr 17, 2008, 08:37 PM
On 2008-04-17 18:34, GoichiSuda wrote:
Other then the fact that the PS2 version isn't being ported...

Okay, if the PS2 version isn't being ported, then which one is? As far as I know, the only version that exists is on the PS2, thus making the port of some other version kind of, y'know, impossible.

GoichiSuda
Apr 17, 2008, 08:44 PM
On 2008-04-17 18:37, Eihwaz wrote:

Okay, if the PS2 version isn't being ported, then which one is? As far as I know, the only version that exists is on the PS2, thus making the port of some other version kind of, y'know, impossible.

Here you go: http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-hq-49-en-70-2ha1.html

And the official site: http://www.mmv.co.jp/special/game/ds/fsr/

Eihwaz
Apr 17, 2008, 09:06 PM
That really doesn't tell me that this is being ported from some mythical, non-PS2 version. >_>

GoichiSuda
Apr 17, 2008, 09:12 PM
On 2008-04-17 19:06, Eihwaz wrote:
That really doesn't tell me that this is being ported from some mythical, non-PS2 version. >_>

...That isn't a PS2 game it's a DS game and it is already out in Japan how is that mythical?

I can't tell if you are trying to write satirically mocking that it is a port of a PS2 game on the DS thus being the same version but if you are that also would be false. The DS version's puzzels have been changed, new ones added, and they of course incorporate the stylus.

Eihwaz
Apr 17, 2008, 09:15 PM
Okay, I'm starting to think that I might have misconstrued what you said.

When you said this, I assumed you were implying that there was some other, non-PS2 version of the original Flower, Sun, and Rain, which was then used as the basis of the soon-to-be-released DS port. We both agree on the idea that there's the PS2 version of this, and then the DS port, right?

GoichiSuda
Apr 17, 2008, 09:20 PM
Yes, Flower, Sun, and Rain was released in 2001 in Japan only for the PS2. It was then re-released in Japan on the Nintendo DS in 2008. The version that is being "ported" to Europe(and suposedly American though I haven't seen a confirmation yet) is the DS version.

Eihwaz
Apr 17, 2008, 09:37 PM
Ah, so the whole thing was an issue of semantics, then. To be rather anal, though, what we're talking about isn't a port, it's a localization. The game was only truly "ported" when it was taken from the PS2 and then put on the DS. Bringing it over to America (or Europe) is just a matter of localizing.

Sorry 'bout that. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Eihwaz on 2008-04-17 19:38 ]</font>

GoichiSuda
Apr 17, 2008, 09:42 PM
Ah, I used the wrong terminology. At least people who read this will know the history of the game.http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif
Did you play the original PS2 version?

Eihwaz
Apr 17, 2008, 10:10 PM
No, but I'm interested in anything that involves Grasshopper Manufacture or Goichi Suda, especially after how much I enjoyed killer7.

Flower, Sun, and Rain is moderately high on my "want" list right now, but The World Ends With You is at the very top currently.

GoichiSuda
Apr 18, 2008, 01:50 PM
Same here, same here. You know hes working on Fatal Frame IV for the Wii, a game being referred to as "Project S"; which is a game he will be working with Kojima on, and he is also planning to work with Mikami's new studio PlatinumGames.

Frana
Apr 18, 2008, 03:09 PM
Yea! More Suda 51 fans!

Eihwaz
Apr 18, 2008, 06:03 PM
After all this talk of more Suda51 stuff, I have a really strong urge to go get my DS and try to plow through Contact again. I keep starting it up, and then due to various circumstances, I end up not getting to play it for so long I lose track of the story. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

Frana
Apr 18, 2008, 06:34 PM
Contact ruled. That's his first game I played.