PDA

View Full Version : Sick of being mistaken as a maphacker

Para
Apr 17, 2008, 08:48 PM
I generally play Warcraft III and custom maps online. Unfortunately, for some games, the map is setup so that its 1 person versus everyone else put together.

From time to time Im stuck as the 1 person who's going against odds. Now Im pretty decent as playing as the 1 man team. I can suck sometimes but generally I play pretty well. However whenever Im doing well, Im always accused as a maphacker.

Why am I accused? In Warcraft III if anyone knows, there's something called "Fog of War" meaning the map is shrouded in fog and your unit/character etc can only see so far so you can't like see the whole map. However there are special items that help you see/reveal parts of the map to you. Im pretty good at utilizing these items (due to good educated guesses in when and where to use them to their best potency). However because of my "skill" or whatever you want to call it, I am accused of being a maphacker 80% of the time. I mean yeah its sorta flattering that your skill is comparable to someone who's cheating but when the community starts to suspect you and kick you out of games, not so good.

Nitro Vordex
Apr 17, 2008, 10:11 PM
If they don't win, they assume your cheating.

It's easier than losing fair and square.

rogue_robot
Apr 18, 2008, 01:26 PM
It's an unavoidable problem with online games. I have, in my Halo 3 experiences, both been suspected of hacking and have suspected others of hacking (like getting sniped, and seeing the shot trail emerge from the middle of the large wall behind me, pass straight through my head, and then disappear into the opposite wall). It's just one of those aspects about online gaming that royally sucks, and you can't get around it.

Inazuma
Apr 18, 2008, 02:05 PM
anyone who uses mini boosts in mario kart ds gets labeled a cheater by poor players. in general, its the poor players who call hax, cheap, cheater, etc. they have to make excuses for losing.

DreXxiN
Apr 18, 2008, 06:54 PM
Haha, I feel you man. I get that all the time in Starcraft. Sometimes I'll mass so much as the zerg because they fail to destroy my expansions, that I get labeled a money hacker.

*Shrugs* People are silly on the webz

ljkkjlcm9
Apr 18, 2008, 08:06 PM
Usually I'm just like
"Whether I'm hacking or not, you're just jealous. Either jealous of how good I am. Or jealous that you can't hack."
The more you argue, the more they'll call you a hacker. So I neither confirm nor deny it.

THE JACKEL

rogue_robot
Apr 18, 2008, 09:24 PM
On 2008-04-18 12:05, Inazuma wrote:
in general, its the poor players who call hax, cheap, cheater, etc. they have to make excuses for losing.

For the most part, yeah, that's pretty much true. Even within a single game, there can be massive gaps in skill. In Starcraft, I've both been effortlessly destroyed, and destroyed my opponents effortlessly, and in both cases I knew it was legit.

Of course, there are always those incidents like my above Halo example which do deservedly arouse at least a little suspicion, but, as we are dealing with online games here, they can generally be explained by lag - certainly not amusing, but still perfectly legit, and a major problem there just simply is no getting around.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rogue_robot on 2008-04-18 19:25 ]</font>

Seority
Apr 19, 2008, 10:54 AM
On 2008-04-17 20:11, Nitro_Vordex wrote:
If they don't win, they assume your cheating.

Auto-response to those ppl:
"=) gg"

CelestialBlade
Apr 19, 2008, 12:37 PM
They cannot handle the awesome that is teh Para.

They're just sore losers, don't worry about it.

Solstis
Apr 20, 2008, 01:10 PM
I usually feel better about my play-style when someone calls me a hacker.

Kylie
Apr 20, 2008, 02:26 PM
The only time I've been called a hacker is by that community pest that PS2 / PC has that I won't name due to PSOW rules of the sort. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif But, yeah, I'd figure jealously or insecurity would be the cause of your troubles; that's usually the case with false accusations.

Randomness
Apr 20, 2008, 06:59 PM
On 2008-04-20 11:10, Solstis wrote:
I usually feel better about my play-style when someone calls me a hacker.

Its somewhat gratifying to have people accuse you of using aimbots in FPS games. Had that happen once or twice, probably because the gun I was using didn't have a fast rate of fire. May have been because I had a scope and they didn't know it.

Sol_B4dguy
Apr 20, 2008, 07:54 PM
Happens to me too. I'm getting pretty good with sniper weapons, but I have no-scoped a fair number of headshots myself. Being called a hacker almost makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside sometimes...if the voice didn't belong to a whiny 13-year-old.

Randomness
Apr 20, 2008, 08:30 PM
No scope shots aren't even that hard in some games. Even if you dont have a crosshair, the shot always flies with the center of the screen, so...

ThaiSoup
Apr 20, 2008, 09:39 PM
I find it fun to provoke in those situations, kinda like Jackel discribes, due to the fact you can't prove you're not hacking. Except I generally throw in the "lol just uninstall"