PDA

View Full Version : If you have Firefox, the Fast Dial Extension is a must have.

Shadowpawn
Apr 18, 2008, 04:16 PM
Srsly! Thing will let you have a near infinite amount of customization with bookmarking your sites. This is how it works: open up a new tag and you are given 9 slots to fill. Here's where it gets interesting, in those 9 slots you can make groups...or in other words slots in those slots. You can even further define it by have slots in slots in slots ad infinitum! It's crazy and it's worth trying out at least once. This has to be one of the best extensions I've tried in a while.

Eihwaz
Apr 18, 2008, 05:57 PM
...Creepy! A friend of mine was just telling me the specifics of this add-on last night. To avoid a gruesome death by some evil internet fairy, I will install it post-haste.

Nitro Vordex
Apr 18, 2008, 06:12 PM
What's wrong with simply clicking on Bookmarks and bookmarking it? =/

Shadowpawn
Apr 18, 2008, 06:37 PM
On 2008-04-18 16:12, Nitro_Vordex wrote:
What's wrong with simply clicking on Bookmarks and bookmarking it? =/

I knew someone was going to say that. This gives to option to see the changes to the page visually.
Not only that but it is much easier to manage than a cluster of bookmarks. I'm not trying to sound like fanboy or anything I've honestly use this more than my own bookmarks...and I have a lot of bookmarks.

Nitro Vordex
Apr 19, 2008, 02:04 AM
Screenshots would help. I really don't get it.

Firocket1690
Apr 19, 2008, 03:07 AM
screenshots would help? How about a link to the plugin being advertised/advocated?

That, and I don't use bookmarks too much, but it's just one massive unorganized list. So I take it this would be something like

Melee

> Saber
> Sword
> Partisan
> Dagger
> Dual Dagger
> Slicer
> Slicer1
> Slicer2
> Double Saber

'cept with categories and bookmark labels?

I'll live without it

Shadowpawn
Apr 19, 2008, 07:23 AM
Bitches don't know about Google...?

Fine Link. (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/5721)

Miakyo
Apr 19, 2008, 07:47 AM
Here's an additional view/screenshot of mine :

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/999/fastdialpreviewwa3.png

Basically it's a form of fast web surfing with mere mouse clicks.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Apr 19, 2008, 09:30 AM
Does it always keep you say logged on to this site, thus refreshing at a set rate?

In turn:

Do you lose the ability to see your non viewed topics upon re-entry?
(Those nice red folders instead of standard yellow showing what's new from your last visit)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HAYABUSA-FMW- on 2008-04-19 07:30 ]</font>

Shadowpawn
Apr 19, 2008, 09:43 AM
On 2008-04-19 07:30, HAYABUSA-FMW- wrote:
Does it always keep you say logged on to this site, thus refreshing at a set rate?

In turn:

Do you lose the ability to see your non viewed topics upon re-entry?
(Those nice red folders instead of standard yellow showing what's new from your last visit)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HAYABUSA-FMW- on 2008-04-19 07:30 ]</font>

You can set each window to refresh at any interval so you can always see up to date information before you click a link. If you're logged into a site, you'll stay logged in, Fast Dial does not affect your login in any way.

astuarlen
Apr 19, 2008, 10:23 AM
To be honest, I've never used the built-in Speed Dial feature in Opera. I just leave tabs open for sites I want to access quickly and keep my bookmarks in folders. Not that this is a bad feature; I think once people have a system that works for them, they might be reluctant to switch it up.
It would be interesting to see how having, say, 9 speed dial screens compares to 9 tabs open in terms of resource and network usage.

Shadowpawn
Apr 19, 2008, 10:31 AM
Well, I would assume it would use less resources then 9 tabs. Those 9 tabs are really 9 windows cached into your browser. The Dial extension just grabs a snapshot of the site you want to visit and save a image as the thumbnail. This put considerably less stress on the browser than 9 tabs. Just look at the task manager when you have 9 tabs open and check the processes. 200,000 K is not good. Plus you go beyond 9 dail screens, as stated before.

astuarlen
Apr 19, 2008, 01:28 PM
Guess I was thinking of these as miniaturized windows, judging from the screenshot and the fact that they can be updated. Reading a little more, it sounds like the extension uses java to handle screens of the sites, so I don't know what effect that would have.
In any case, you have to open the sites in new tabs or windows to view them, anyway, and with autocomplete and tab-saving... I think I've lost sight of its usefulness. We need an expert in here. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_clown.gif

But where did you get that 200,000 K figure from (for "mem usage", I assume, which is not necessarily the best measure of how taxing a process is, though I'm no expert)? I have 34 tabs open right now with "Mem Usage" at a little over a third of that--and I thought that was probably excessive.

Anyway, this post needs more fun, so http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/burger.gif http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/cruller.gif

Miakyo
Apr 19, 2008, 01:44 PM
Basically it's a little add for whenever you open up a new tab. Instead of that tab being blank you'll have the Fast Dial plug-in active with the websites you've supplied in the boxes.

To add websites into it, simply click on the desired box and put in the URL and name the site whatever you like.

It'll show you the page of the website you supplied in the mini-boxes. Simply click on them to go there. simple as that.

In anycase it works for me when I need to get tabs open quickly to fast scan my emails and messages on numerous community sites like Myspace and Facebook.

It's just another of many lazy shortcuts to surfing the web.

Funny how were discussing heavily into a add-on. XD

PS - I'm not an expert. I only use this because it suits my personal needs.

Sekani
Apr 19, 2008, 02:03 PM
Bookmark, right-click, open in new tab. I no longer have any need for this extension.

Also, doesn't Internet Explorer have something like this built into it?

Shadowpawn
Apr 20, 2008, 12:18 AM
On 2008-04-19 11:28, astuarlen wrote:
Guess I was thinking of these as miniaturized windows, judging from the screenshot and the fact that they can be updated. Reading a little more, it sounds like the extension uses java to handle screens of the sites, so I don't know what effect that would have.
In any case, you have to open the sites in new tabs or windows to view them, anyway, and with autocomplete and tab-saving... I think I've lost sight of its usefulness. We need an expert in here.

Just little, and you have a option of disabling the java, it's not even needed.

On 2008-04-19 12:03, Sekani wrote:
Bookmark, right-click, open in new tab. I no longer have any need for this extension.

Also, doesn't Internet Explorer have something like this built into it?

Opera does, not IE.

Sord
Apr 20, 2008, 12:40 AM
the only reason I could see myself using this is to check if FKL got a new post/thread, but chances are if I'm on a browser, that's the only place I'll be (seriously, about 90% of my browser time is just this site.)

though I definitely see the use if you had several forums or social sites you visited. You could open the tab, see which ones actually have something new to see, and head to that one, rather than checking each individually. This is the only forum/social site I go to though, so not much use for me.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sord on 2008-04-19 22:44 ]</font>

Blitzkommando
Apr 20, 2008, 12:51 AM
Quick Launch in Opera, while neat at first, was pretty useless after the novelty wore off. You can have a lot more bookmarks in traditional form than in visual, and it's faster and easier to check them that way anyway. And, really, when checking sites that change content daily, or hourly, having a thumbnail is near useless as I know the site has changed without having a thumbnail to tell me so.

Eihwaz
Apr 20, 2008, 03:09 AM
I tried it out a little bit, but it feels too arbitrary, compared to just using my standard bookmark toolbar...

Toadthroat
Apr 23, 2008, 03:46 PM
I used it for a little but didn't like it.
When opening a new tab it took a little bit to load the quick dial.
Any sites that I can stick on my quick dial, can also go on my quick bookmarks toolbar which is a lot easier and faster to access IMO.

Nai_Calus
Apr 24, 2008, 10:31 AM
I don't know what the hell is the matter with you guys, I'd need that to even think about using Firefox again.

I use the speed dial for sites I visit frequently, but don't want open all the time - Forums I check once a day, for example.

And I have wayyyyyyy too fucking many bookmarks to make scrolling through them all practical.

Sekani
Apr 24, 2008, 11:21 AM
Some of us actually know how to put our bookmarks into separate folders. It IS possible to organize your bookmarks without this extension.

Shadowpawn
Apr 24, 2008, 01:42 PM
On 2008-04-24 09:21, Sekani wrote:
Some of us actually know how to put our bookmarks into separate folders. It IS possible to organize your bookmarks without this extension.

But it's so boring though!

Nai_Calus
Apr 24, 2008, 04:12 PM
Who says I don't organize them? And the point I'm making is that I don't even use it *for* organization. About two of the sites I have on Opera's speed dial would go in the same category. It's a nice quick visual way to get there. I like visual. I vastly prefer it to lists of text.

But I guess it's like how nobody would ever possibly play a JP version of PSO or PSU, despite the fact that people have and still do, right? XP

Let me sum it up: I hate scrolling through lists of links to get to things I use often, even if it's a short list. Unlike most people I don't like having so goddamned many tabs open at one time I can't even see what they are anymore. I don't want to remember nine million URLs since I clear my personal info frequently. I cannot stand having more than the bare minimum of toolbars. It's cluttered and ugly. I like visuals. I like having a quick way of visually accessing the sites I visit frequently but not constantly. Some sites like this forum or the private PSO server forum I leave up constantly and have it keep the tabs for, since I check them frequently throughout the day due to traffic. I use the speed dial for stuff I check a couple of times a day or once a day, for example my LJ friendslist. Stuff I rarely check stays in the bookmarks.

It's a nice happy system that works well. I really don't see why everyone in this thread hates the very concept. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Actually, that extended fancy version for firefox might just be perfect for me, help me remember what the fuck some of my bookmarks are when the names don't make it obvious.

And no, not even sticking them in folders helps my bookmarks. XP