PDA

View Full Version : looks like Epic despises Wii

Saner
Apr 21, 2008, 10:57 AM
http://kotaku.com/381844/epics-mike-capps-reiterates-hate-on-wii

can't blame, them, but I know like 1 or 2 who
use it. still, it is a pretty useless controller
for stuff like FPS and fighting games. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

enoch
Apr 21, 2008, 11:03 AM
D=...my wii is crying. sure its true but.... you can go back and play SSBB whenever and its STILL A GOOD GAME!

Saner
Apr 21, 2008, 11:26 AM
ya the interview is pretty one-sided anyway. can't get SSBBrawl anywhere else. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

TheOneHero
Apr 21, 2008, 11:48 AM
On 2008-04-21 08:57, Saner wrote:
still, it is a pretty useless controller
for stuff like FPS

Geeze I hope you really aren't that ignorant.

Go play Metroid Prime 3 : Corruption.

You won't want to play any FPS with different controls again. Prime 3 is perfection.

Saner
Apr 21, 2008, 12:07 PM
um who's ignorant? I literally played MPrime3 over someone's house. I still rather use my Xbox360 controller.
although it's fun guiding her hand to push buttons in the ship, it's tiresome and uncomfortable aiming and shooting
with it.

and Prime is not perfection, it's the best of the Prime games but it's pretty boring. I felt Super Metroid and Zero Mission
are the best Metroid games ever, but it's not really that they are 2-D, but their design led to more interesting exploration and action and WAAAY better enemy designs.

overall there are better first person-based games.

Kent
Apr 21, 2008, 12:15 PM
Well... I wouldn't call it "perfection" (mainly because it isn't), but Metroid Prime 3 is the best use of the Wiimote in a first-person shooter thus far. The game does have a very good control scheme, and is neither tiresome nor uncomfortable... Unless the only arm you have ends in a nub or crab claw. I can see that being the case, then.

It doesn't really get more point-and-click than the Wiimote, though - it's got more point to it than mice do, but it also acts very differently.

...I still prefer a touchscreen over the Wiimote, though, but that's just me.

ljkkjlcm9
Apr 21, 2008, 12:16 PM
If your hand gets tired playing the Wii, you're moving it too much. It's really small wrist movements needing to move it.

And anyone who likes to say that third party games do better on other systems, Guitar Hero 3 is actually selling the best for the Nintendo Wii, and continues to be in the top 10 sales per month

March 2008 U.S. Top Ten Software Sales
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii) – 2.7 million
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas 2 (Xbox 360) – 752.3k
Army of Two (Xbox 360) – 606.1k
Wii Play w/Remote (Wii) – 409.8k
God of War: Chains of Olympus (PSP) – 340.5k
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII (PSP) – 301.6k
Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock (Wii) – 222.9k
Major League Baseball 2K8 (Xbox 360) – 237.1k
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Xbox 360) – 237k
Army of Two (PS3) – 224.9k

THE JACKEL

Zarode
Apr 21, 2008, 12:22 PM
On 2008-04-21 10:16, ljkkjlcm9 wrote:
If your hand gets tired playing the Wii, you're moving it too much. It's really small wrist movements needing to move it.

People think they gotta imitate the crazy wii trailers and such. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'll be in the fetal position as I try to navigate through this Morph Ball maze... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

TheOneHero
Apr 21, 2008, 01:05 PM
On 2008-04-21 10:07, Saner wrote:
lol, wut?

If you're getting tired or uncomfortable, it's because you're putting too much effort into it; or you aren't sitting/standing where you're supposed to be in accordance to the sensor-bar.

Or you're just incredibly out of shape.

When I said Prime is perfection, I wasn't talking about the game itself perse. Only that the controls feel just as fluid and natural (maybe even more so) then the traditional mouse and KB.

And it's a well known fact that the controls of MP3 are adored by hardcore FPS fans for reasons mentioned above.

enoch
Apr 21, 2008, 01:08 PM
those trailers are crazy....they make life look perfect! "awww grandma lemme give you a hug for playing wii sports, COME ON EVERYONE LETS GET TOGETHER YEA!" >.<

Saner
Apr 21, 2008, 01:35 PM
oh come on, the wiimote is like a TV remote. it's not fun having to hold it up and pointing at the screen consistently,
whereas a TV remote doesn't feel so bad because you put it down after a few seconds. at least with normal controllers
you can still keep them on your lap and not having to suspend it in the air for so long. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif the wiimote really asks for
extra effort that could be more easily done with a standard controller.

this is why over 90% of the ppl who play SSBB use a gamecube controller or classic controller
because a wiimote is totally not practical for something that requires a lot of actions and inputs and reflexes,
you'll wear yourself out using a wiimote. the devs who made SSBB, adding gamecube support, proves how
ineffecient the wiimote and nunchuck are compared to a more practical controller.

the wiimote is just a gimmick that tries to be a game in itself trying to do stuff that would normally be easier
on a better controller that digitally executes your commands in a faster, more accurate and effective manner.

ljkkjlcm9
Apr 21, 2008, 01:41 PM
On 2008-04-21 11:35, Saner wrote:
oh come on, the wiimote is like a TV remote. it's not fun having to hold it up and pointing at the screen consistently,
whereas a TV remote doesn't feel so bad because you put it down after a few seconds. at least with normal controllers
you can still keep them on your lap and not having to suspend it in the air for so long. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif the wiimote really asks for
extra effort that could be more easily done with a standard controller.

this is why over 90% of the ppl who play SSBB use a gamecube controller or classic controller
because a wiimote is totally not practical for something that requires a lot of actions and inputs and reflexes,
you'll wear yourself out using a wiimote. the devs who made SSBB, adding gamecube support, proves how
ineffecient the wiimote and nunchuck are compared to a more practical controller.

the wiimote is just a gimmick that tries to be a game in itself trying to do stuff that would normally be easier
on a better controller that digitally executes your commands in a faster, more accurate and effective manner.

ok firstly, the wiimote+nunchuk does not use motion controls for smash bros, except a little shake that you have to turn on, to do smash attacks. Secondly, anytime I use the Wiimote IT IS IN MY LAP. You do NOT have to hold it up and keep your arm out and crap. I've played Wii tennis, lieing down, with the wiimote on my stomach, and beaten people who stand up and try to get all into it.

People play Brawl with a GC controller, because that's how they're use to it. Honestly the Wiimote+chuk isn't that bad to play with, at all. Especially if you customize the controls. But I still prefer the GC controller because I didn't have to learn new button configurations.

Your problem and the problem with most people I know, is that they think you have to do that. Hold it in the air, get really into it. It really doesn't require much extra effort, and is EXTREMELY natural when you figure that out.

THE JACKEL

Kylie
Apr 21, 2008, 01:48 PM
I kind of agree with Epic. The main reason I decided to buy a Playstation 3 (hell, I'd even have gotten a 360 before) over a Wii is because I'm not really interested in the controller functions of the games on the Wii. I admit that some of the games look cool, but it's just not what I imagined next-gen would be like.

Saner
Apr 21, 2008, 01:50 PM
oh ya try playing Prime 3 with the wiimote on your lap. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif anyways it really should never be the future of how to control
games. Nintendo had it right back then with their SNES controller. even the Gamecube controller is somewhat decent,
but the wiimote is a step in a bad direction.

I wonder if the next Nintendo system controller is gonna be a rubix cube or ball you twist, roll and spin to input commands. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

ljkkjlcm9
Apr 21, 2008, 01:53 PM
On 2008-04-21 11:50, Saner wrote:
oh ya try playing Prime 3 with the wiimote on your lap. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif anyways it really should never be the future of how to control
games. Nintendo had it right back then with their SNES controller. even the Gamecube controller is somewhat decent,

I wonder if the next Nintendo system controller is gonna be a rubix cube or ball you twist, roll and spin to input commands. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

I did play Prime 3 with the wiimote on my lap.

And the ONLY thing the other systems have over the Wii is the graphics... but on that note:
news article (http://www.gamesradar.com/wii/the-conduit/news/wii-fps-guns-for-360-level-graphics/a-200804181303225095/g-2008041813828831009)
or even better with screens and a video tech demo
http://wii.ign.com/articles/867/867498p1.html

THE JACKEL

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ljkkjlcm9 on 2008-04-21 12:02 ]</font>
-compressed a link

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HAYABUSA-FMW- on 2008-04-22 19:50 ]</font>

Solstis
Apr 21, 2008, 01:57 PM
I play the Wii standing up because I want the extra motion. When I'm doing a marathon Prime session or something, then I lounge on the couch. I can play for hours without straining my arm.

Then again, I haven't been playing my Wii too much, mostly because of time constraints and no $ to buy new games. Want to finish Galaxy soon, though.

Saner
Apr 21, 2008, 02:12 PM
mew mew mew well ppl will play what they like, but ya just throwing opinions. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

TheOneHero
Apr 21, 2008, 02:26 PM
...we've all backed up what we said with facts. >_>;;

Syl
Apr 21, 2008, 03:03 PM
On 2008-04-21 12:12, Saner wrote:
mew mew mew well ppl will play what they like, but ya just throwing opinions. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

I'm sorry Saner but I think this is the one time where your ignorance really got on my nerves. Your opinions do not have to be shoved down other people's throats. Really. You can still make these threads but the way you always make them is like "DIS IZ BEST MOSTEST REVOLUTIONARY/INNOVATIVE/SOUGHT AFTER/(insert name) KILLER. YOU ARE WRONG, THESE ARE MY OPINIONZ AND YES THEY ARE STATED AS FACTS ^______^". Your wording is best left for marketing.

Just because you don't like the Wii doesn't mean it sucks. And trying to back it up with "sources" which are usually just biased rants or an opinion or two, guess what? It doesn't change the fact that people will think otherwise. Just because you saw it on that source page doesn't mean everyone and anyone will think that way, nor does it make the said thing suck.

Don't try blowing it off as "oh it r just mah opinionz ^___________^" because you really are feigning ignorance. If you go about playing video games in such a close minded fashion and only believing what your sources tell you, you will never enjoy anything to its full potential. So for the sake of being open minded, stop being ignorant http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif
/rant

Anyways, I'll support the Wii a tad bit here. I don't own one but I do want to get one. Sure, it doesn't have a huge number of big titles coming up for it, but it has a lot of fun and innovative games on it. People who say you have to do all this crap and it gets you tired and it's stupid are just close minded about the console. I've never had as much fun with friends playing a video game that wasn't on the Wii. The Wii really shines when it comes to playing with friends or family.

And as brought up, Guitar Hero 3 on the Wii is actually my favorite version. Not because of the graphics (because they are practically on par with the Ps2 version >_>), but for the guitar itself. Seriously, try out all 4 versions. When I tried out the Wii version I really wasn't expecting anything from it. But it is the most responsive guitar out of them all. Activating star power with raising the guitar is actually easy and for some reason, the fret lag wasn't there either.

Yeah I realized this was a longer post than intended, but I got riled up.

McLaughlin
Apr 21, 2008, 03:42 PM
On 2008-04-21 11:50, Saner wrote:

I played MP3 with the Wii-mote in my lap. I had zero problems.

You'd rather we ditch analog sticks and go back to the D-Pad? Have fun in Retro-ville. I'll be playing awesome games on my (brother's ;_;) Wii.

I'm still debating whether or not you're kidding about this. Could you really be this ignorant?

Blitzkommando
Apr 21, 2008, 11:00 PM
Epic has gone downhill dramatically over the past, well, 4 years since UT2K4. Sadly I'm to the point where I laugh at any critiques they have to say simply because they have completely lost what they were before. Still good games? Yeah. Still Epic games? Hell, no. Same can be said of id Software though they might have something with that project they showed the first results of a number of months ago.

Edit: Oh, and I ignore my Wii and PS3 equally. I've yet to have been pulled back to the living room away from the PC. TF2 is the main reason for that, though in a broader sense it's games through Steam.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Blitzkommando on 2008-04-21 21:03 ]</font>

EJ
Apr 21, 2008, 11:24 PM
On 2008-04-21 13:03, SylviaEspada wrote:

On 2008-04-21 12:12, Saner wrote:

I'm sorry Saner but I think this is the one time where your ignorance really got on my nerves. Your opinions do not have to be shoved down other people's throats. Really. You can still make these threads but the way you always make them is like "DIS IZ BEST MOSTEST REVOLUTIONARY/INNOVATIVE/SOUGHT AFTER/(insert name) KILLER. YOU ARE WRONG, THESE ARE MY OPINIONZ AND YES THEY ARE STATED AS FACTS ^______^". Your wording is best left for marketing.

Just because you don't like the Wii doesn't mean it sucks. And trying to back it up with "sources" which are usually just biased rants or an opinion or two, guess what? It doesn't change the fact that people will think otherwise. Just because you saw it on that source page doesn't mean everyone and anyone will think that way, nor does it make the said thing suck.

Don't try blowing it off as "oh it r just mah opinionz ^___________^" because you really are feigning ignorance. If you go about playing video games in such a close minded fashion and only believing what your sources tell you, you will never enjoy anything to its full potential. So for the sake of being open minded, stop being ignorant http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif
/rant

Anyways, I'll support the Wii a tad bit here. I don't own one but I do want to get one. Sure, it doesn't have a huge number of big titles coming up for it, but it has a lot of fun and innovative games on it. People who say you have to do all this crap and it gets you tired and it's stupid are just close minded about the console. I've never had as much fun with friends playing a video game that wasn't on the Wii. The Wii really shines when it comes to playing with friends or family.

And as brought up, Guitar Hero 3 on the Wii is actually my favorite version. Not because of the graphics (because they are practically on par with the Ps2 version >_>), but for the guitar itself. Seriously, try out all 4 versions. When I tried out the Wii version I really wasn't expecting anything from it. But it is the most responsive guitar out of them all. Activating star power with raising the guitar is actually easy and for some reason, the fret lag wasn't there either.

Yeah I realized this was a longer post than intended, but I got riled up.

I agree with everyone your ignorance is very annoying this time Saner because I beat Prime and zelda laying on my couch with the wii remote because it is that easy to use and MP3 is the best examle that FPS can use the wii and will be the best on that console since i really dislike the standard control schemes.

Also SSBB can be played very easily with the remote + nun chuck the fact is people are use to the GC controllers.

I notice many who hate the wii or Nintendo itself said it's a gimmick system and Nintendo will die which I find funny since if Nintendo didn't die when it was not doing so good 2 generations ago what makes people think they will go now since they own the handheld market and makes the most money from a video game company since Microsoft and Sony have other products they sell.

seph_monkey
Apr 22, 2008, 03:04 AM
personaly i love the wii, i am not lazy at all i love to move around when i play. one thing i love about nintendo is inovation, oh look another pretty shooter for the 360... woo...
it is just fun at the tournaments here to beat some one in ssbb while dancing with the wiimote and numchuck just for show lol
i rather have idiotic non lazy straight out fun then shoot some one and hump there corpse in sign of masculinity (apperantly) any day
but that just me, i guess

Weeaboolits
Apr 22, 2008, 06:32 AM
What could be better control for FPS games that pointing a remote with a properly positioned trigger button at your target? This is akin of the good ol' fashioned Light Gun (only better, more versatility), you don't really get a better shooter control than that.

Raine_Loire
Apr 22, 2008, 08:23 AM
I am amused by people who say "If you have a hard time playing wii, you're really out of shape." And then "I lay around and just keep the controller in my lap." That's just funny. The wii was promoted to be a console you stood and played, but I'll be damned if I'd be standing for 8 hours playing RE4, lol. I actually agree with Saner about this, but only because of my SPECIFIC situation. If someone did not have my situation, I assume they would not have the same opinion as me.

My chair is low, my TV is tall and up on a table, the only way the wiimote even worked was to wave my arm around in the air, because the bar had to be on the top of the tv- for some reason it didn't work anywhere else. The windows in Germany have some weird blinds on the outside of them, with holes in them if you pull em up... so the glare often messed with where I was pointing. I had trouble playing precision games, and I get frustrated easily. It just didn't work for me, so I lost interest, and never unpacked it when we moved last year.

That said, the person I sold my wii and games to LOVES it. He just had surgery on his arm, and his Dr recommended it for therapy. He lives in army barracks, so people CROWD his room to be able to play with him. It's true, people LOVE the wii. I loved the game selection, and the theory behind the controller, I just wasn't that into the package all put together.

So I bought a bunch of 360 games and a cute pink Dooney and Bourke purse. In the end, everyone wins.

Sol_B4dguy
Apr 22, 2008, 09:04 AM
My chair is unfortunately too low for the Wiimote to work sitting down; fortunately I can still play from my bed, and it's what I do for marathon Prime sessions. As someone who's played FPS's since he was eight, this setup is a dream come true for me. Now we just need Holodeck technology to hurry up and get here. <_<

amtalx
Apr 22, 2008, 09:21 AM
For those of you with HD sets, you know you should have them mounted at eye level. *tsk* *tsk* http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Anyway, I bought one. I never play it. Same thing happened with my GC though. The NES/SNES era where games were hard enough that it took weeks to get through them are gone. Now Nintendo releases their handful of 1st party titles that are desirable, and then the system stays powered off for the rest of the year. And I'm ok with that.

SubstanceD
Apr 22, 2008, 01:57 PM
For what it's worth Saner, I did not care much for Metroid Prime 3 on the Wii. It's not that soo much that the control sucks ( I have a few issues here and there but overall the controls are functional although I much ratrher use a standard controller ), it has more to do with the overall game/level design and structure.

As for Epic's stance on the Wii. I kind of get where he ( Mike Capps )/they are comming from. Epic is a technology driven company, what do you expect from the guys behind the Unreal 3 engine. Most of us agree that graphics arn't the most impopratnt part of a game but obviously Epic has other opinions on that. Also as Mike pointed out some gamers do become board with the Wii. I've owned one since launch and I almost never, ever play it. It's not that the games suck , it's just that I much rather play games on my PS2, my PS3 or my 360 and I'm sure a large part of that revolves around the fact that I think of the Wii ( subconciously ) as a gimic console. I much rather use a normal controler than the Wii mote. While it is functional, I have yet to play a game that plays better with the Wii mote as aposed to a normal controler. I don't feel as if the Wii mote has added anything to gaming.

ljkkjlcm9
Apr 22, 2008, 02:06 PM
I think people's biggest problem with the Wiimote, is that it didn't hugely change anything. You can EASILY hold it down, not point at the screen for most games, and use it like a normal controller. You don't have to be pointing at the screen to wiggle in mario galaxy to get him to do his spin move. Simple fact is, it basically is a regular controller, except shaped very differently. Many games utilize some functions of it, but for instance in the game Baroque, I never use any of the special functions of the Wiimote (aiming or shaking) as they're not really used. The controller still works great for the game, while some people prefer the classic controller.

The biggest problem, people don't realize that it IS a normal controller too.

THE JACKEL

Neith
Apr 22, 2008, 02:27 PM
On 2008-04-22 04:32, Ronin_Cooper wrote:
What could be better control for FPS games that pointing a remote with a properly positioned trigger button at your target?

Anything if you've played Red Steel http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

While I do own a Wii (have done for over a year now), and while it is revolutionary in some aspects, the fact remains that a lot of (mainly 3rd party) games for it are overly gimmicky, trying to make use of the Wiimote and ending up making game frustrating instead of fun.

However, there are exceptions (I'm not a fan of Metroid, so forgive me for not playing MP3), where the Wiimote has been used successfully- these games should feel like you're performing the same action. This is also why Red Steel will never be recognised as a good game to me- the controls were clunky and awkward, and the sword combat didn't resemble the movements you were performing with the Wiimote.

When a game utilises the Wiimote well, it becomes an amazing console- its just sad that a large portion of its gaming library is stupid 'play for 5 minutes' party games, and other games that don't even attempt to unlock the uniqueness of the Wiimote.

In regards to Epic, I can see why they wouldn't want to use the Wii- it's hardly a convenient console for graphically intensive games, especially compared to the PS3/X360, which in terms of graphics are in another league. However, I don't think they should dismiss it completely either. The Wii holds a large number of players who wouldn't even normally touch a console- appealing to them is potentially huge profits (just look at what Brain Training did for the DS...). Dismissing it as a step back though is pretty idiotic, it's an advancement in the way games are played- though not necessarily a replacement. That's upto the gamer.

enoch
Apr 22, 2008, 02:33 PM
brain training or whatever its called, is like tetris lol, look WHAT THAT DID to gaming.

Saner
Apr 22, 2008, 02:50 PM
well I just feel a controller that forces a company to add a "controller safety notice" before
each game fully loads, really needs to rethink their controller design. they are making
controller design too complex and demanding than it should be. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Raine_Loire
Apr 22, 2008, 02:54 PM
lol any controller that idiots can potentially send sailing through the middle of their 42" HDTVs probably shouldn't be sold to people without an IQ test first. Because you KNOW they'll be looking for money when they break their stuff...

McLaughlin
Apr 22, 2008, 02:55 PM
Nintendo shouldn't be held liable for the ineptitude of the general populace. It's not complex at all for anyone with a fraction of functional brain tissue.

TheOneHero
Apr 22, 2008, 02:57 PM
On 2008-04-22 12:50, Saner wrote:
they are making
controller design too complex and demanding than it should be. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

I lol'd.

The Wii, complex?

The biggest issue with the safety notice, is because people take playing the Wii way to seriously. "LIEK OMG SQUEE! I GOTTA FLING MY ARM AROUND LIKE I'M HAVING A SEIZURE!" People don't realize you need very little motion to make it work.

Also, people need to:

1. Use the freaking strap.
2. Hold onto the freaking controller.

That fixes most of our problems right away.

ljkkjlcm9
Apr 22, 2008, 02:57 PM
that's the only reason they need to put that there, because people are dumb like that

I never wear the wrist strap, and I ignore all those dumb warnings. I'm not some idiot who is going to whip my hand around and "accidentally" let go of it and send it flying.

That's just another poor attack Saner, they only do that to protect themselves

THE JACKEL

Alizarin
Apr 22, 2008, 03:01 PM
People throw remotes and controllers anyway, out of anger, excitement or some other reason. Having a wrist strap and warning given to the Wiimotes is actually doing people a favor.

Monochrome
Apr 22, 2008, 03:13 PM
I threw my tv through my controller once

I gotta say I have smacked the wiimote on some things...anyone else? furniture, collectibles etc..

frickin Umbrella Chronicles

Alizarin
Apr 22, 2008, 03:21 PM
Funny thing about wiimotes is that of all the reports I have heard of damages related to throwing them, it is always the item thrown at that was broken or damaged. TVs, Lamps, Shelves, Windows, Doors, even brick walls and floors. However, I have yet to see someone filing a report on a broken wiimote in those cases. Either it's very uncommon or just doesn't happen.

McLaughlin
Apr 22, 2008, 03:28 PM
Nintendo products are unbreakable.

Alizarin
Apr 22, 2008, 03:32 PM
Good to know they can take a beating, and they have.

It took nothing short of a sledgehammer to break the DS lite my friend had. We tried throwing it, running it over with a car, dropping it from various heights of buildings, slamming it against doors, and a few other things.

Feelmirath
Apr 22, 2008, 03:41 PM
On 2008-04-21 10:16, ljkkjlcm9 wrote:

And anyone who likes to say that third party games do better on other systems, Guitar Hero 3 is actually selling the best for the Nintendo Wii, and continues to be in the top 10 sales per month

March 2008 U.S. Top Ten Software Sales
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii) – 2.7 million
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas 2 (Xbox 360) – 752.3k
Army of Two (Xbox 360) – 606.1k
Wii Play w/Remote (Wii) – 409.8k
God of War: Chains of Olympus (PSP) – 340.5k
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII (PSP) – 301.6k
Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock (Wii) – 222.9k
Major League Baseball 2K8 (Xbox 360) – 237.1k
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Xbox 360) – 237k
Army of Two (PS3) – 224.9k

THE JACKEL

Yet I own GH3 for the Wii, and am planning on getting an Xcrate and buying that version instead (not the only reason >_>).

Why?
At this rate, DLC for Wii will probably be released around the same time as the 2012 Olympics. And some o' that DLC is some good shit.

And you've also got the terrible graphics. Normally, I wouldn't pay any heed towards this, but jesus christ. Wii gets PS2 graphics with clunky, polygonal, slack-jawed people whose hair goes through their own bodies? They could have at least tried to have held a candle to the Xcrate / PS3 graphics - games like Super Mario Galaxy have proved we don't need horrible matte-coloured clammy people.

And then there's going to be Rock Band coming out later this year for Wii- with no DLC or online play whatsoever.

It's not a stab at Wii, moreso Activision and other 3rd party developers who can't be bothered to deliver their games to an equal (or near enough) level.

Back on topic- Wii is for Mario Kart, Mario Kart is the future. End of. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

ljkkjlcm9
Apr 22, 2008, 04:00 PM
Actually Japan already has downloadable content for the Wii.

THE JACKEL

Sord
Apr 22, 2008, 04:18 PM
For me the Wii can be a bit annoying, but it's a personal issue. My hands are shaky, it's nothing I can really help, it's a side effect of a medication I take. I usually can do things just as good as anyone else can with the wiimote, but it just takes more concentrated effort for me. Most people complained about how the wii zapper made it even harder to aim, for me it helped, because I can hold something with two hands (though I hated the actual button&stick placement of the setup; I would have preferred a traditional light gun.) I always play the Wii sitting down unless there isn't enough room to do so (easier to steady myself sitting.) so I know fairly well that you don't have to move all over the damn place to play the games.

For me the bigger issues of the Wii is more a lack of new games that aren't franchises, have new elements in them, and are still a solid games. Don't get me wrong, Mario Galaxy was shit loads of fun, but there comes a time when I don't want to play with that freaking plumber. I've been doing it since I started video games, I'd like something new but just as solid an experience. MP3 felt fine, even with my shaky hands I jumped straight into the hardest difficulty and did fine (provided I was sitting down.) But once again, that was a franchise game, I had already been through 2 that looked just like it. Sure, if it isn't broke, don't fix it, but for the love of god get something new and good to break the monotony of it. The Wii has the capability for some great epic adventure games, solid single-play campaign modes. Twilight Princess, even if also on GC, proved that the wiimote&chuck controls can handle it. It's just there are to many party games and not enough serious games that are just for a single player.

Another issue would be the multiple acc. issue. I'm not going to want to spend $20-$30 on new controllers on top of the price of the new games. Thank god they left in GC controller compatibility instead of repeating the mistake they made with multi-player Crystal Chronicles. Also, another plus about GC controller, no batteries, I fucking hate batteries. I hate having to search all around the freaking house to find a pack of batteries, or go out and buy new ones just to play a game, or waiting for a damn recharge. Each system seems to exhibit at least one of those. At least every now and then I can just sit down, knowing I can use a controller without having to worry about batteries.

Feelmirath
Apr 22, 2008, 04:32 PM
On 2008-04-22 14:00, ljkkjlcm9 wrote:
Actually Japan already has downloadable content for the Wii.

THE JACKEL

Not for GH3, which to be honest is the only game that really needs it at the moment :/

eXo
Apr 22, 2008, 05:48 PM
On 2008-04-21 11:47, TheOneHero wrote:
THE JACKEL wins.

I Agree those people who assume that all of the extra movement activity is required to play with the Wiimote, either havent actually used it or they didnt give it a fair shot.

eXo
Apr 22, 2008, 05:54 PM
I also forgot to mention that Epic is a company that hangs their hat on creating unreal a PC game therefore of course they will be more reluctant to change their development process to apply toward a pure gaming machine rather then simply port over a subpar 360 & ps3 version. and i own all 3 systems so i can say that =).

Feelmirath
Apr 23, 2008, 01:12 AM
On 2008-04-22 15:48, eXo wrote:

On 2008-04-21 11:47, TheOneHero wrote:
THE JACKEL wins.

I Agree those people who assume that all of the extra movement activity is required to play with the Wiimote, either havent actually used it or they didnt give it a fair shot.

Agreed- all my friends would come round to play Wii Sports and they'd all be knackered after about 5 minutes because they were throwing themselves around the room with huge swings http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

But then there are games like the short-lived Red Steel which required you to do slices pretty much the size of your TV to swing your Katana. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

TheOneHero
Apr 23, 2008, 01:46 AM
Get a smaller tv? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

That's why I avoided Red Steel, apparently, it's only good for a rental.

Weeaboolits
Apr 23, 2008, 02:58 AM
well I just feel a controller that forces a company to add a "controller safety notice" before
each game fully loads, really needs to rethink their controller design. they are making
controller design too complex and demanding than it should be. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gifThis is because people are stupid jackasses, why do you think McDonalds coffee has a warning on the cup telling you that it's hot? Some moron burned himself and tried to sue, I certainly don't blame Nintendo for throwing up that warning.

amtalx
Apr 23, 2008, 06:37 AM
On 2008-04-22 23:46, TheOneHero wrote:

That's why I avoided Red Steel, apparently, it's only good for a rental.

Red Steel isn't good for anything. It took me 8 months to finish that game, and you know how much time I clocked? 7 hours and 53 minutes. I could tolerate so little of that game in one sitting that it took the better part of a year to actually reach the end.

McLaughlin
Apr 23, 2008, 09:56 AM
On 2008-04-23 00:58, Ronin_Cooper wrote:

controller design too complex and demanding than it should be. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gifThis is because people are stupid jackasses, why do you think McDonalds coffee has a warning on the cup telling you that it's hot? Some moron burned himself and tried to sue, I certainly don't blame Nintendo for throwing up that warning.

It was a woman who sued, and she won a million dollars.