PDA

View Full Version : Does FKL read?

TalHex
Apr 25, 2008, 08:18 PM
two rules to this thread
-you cannot talk about symbolism! if you do i will have a ton of C4 dropped on your head directly from subspace
-book that you were forced to read don't count...

so... what does FKL read? (favorite book, not counting manga)

Tact
Apr 25, 2008, 08:53 PM
I read FKL.

Seriously, I don't read any sort of novels of my own accord. Everything I read, I have to read for some reason or other.

AlexCraig
Apr 25, 2008, 09:14 PM
I read Ghost in the Shell a few months ago. Before that I read Lord of the Rings (all three books).

PhotonDrop
Apr 25, 2008, 09:39 PM
Just the other day I was trying to figure out how the hell the other farmers were supposed to represent the allied nations, when they befriended Napoleon by the end of the book.

If I remember correctly, nobody fucking liked Stalin.

Ketchup345
Apr 25, 2008, 09:48 PM
Read 1984, Animal Farm, and the Zombie Survival Guide (though, this will be a requirement when they do attack) on my own. Also had read the LotR books, though I initially started them for school (the paper they were for was canceled though).

astuarlen
Apr 25, 2008, 11:13 PM
Wow, I'm actually surprised by how little you guys read! Sadly, I don't have much time to do so when classes are in session (although, maybe if I farted around on the Internots less...) I have a pretty big list of novels I intend to read in the nearish future, hopefully, so I've also been keeping track of what literary ground I've covered recently.
According to my calculations, I managed twenty novels, two short story collections, and one non-fiction book for pleasure over the past year. Kind of a middling amount, I think.

In roughly reverse chronological order (i.e. most recent to least):
Caviar - T Sturgeon
Lord of Light - R Zelazny
Planet of Exile - LeGuin
Children of Men - P. D. James
Isle of the Dead - Zelazny
Dying Inside - Robert Silverberg
The Fifth Head of Cerberus - Gene Wolfe
Changing Planes - LeGuin
Sewer, Gas, and Electric - Matt Ruff
Outside Lies Magic - Stilgoe
O-zone - Paul Thereux
Seventh Son - Orson Scott Card
Riddle-Master - Patricia McKillip
Syrup - Max Barry
The Dispossessed - Le Guin
The Wood Wife - Terri Windling
Aegypt - Crowley
Love & Sleep - John Crowley
The Chronicles of Chaos - John C. Wright
War for the Oaks - Emma Bull
Fitzpatrick's War - Judson
Pasquale's Angel - McAuley
Beggars in Spain - Nancy Kress

I am thrilled that the semester is over in a couple of weeks because I need need need to get my hands on Theodore Judson's new book. Don't let me down, baby.

And, yeah, they're almost all speculative fiction fare.
Also listened to one book via podcast, but that's cheating.

Beyond the stuff that comes on paper, I blogread regularly on language, comics, and feminism.
Frightfully fun stuff.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: astuarlen on 2008-04-25 21:20 ]</font>

Ketchup345
Apr 25, 2008, 11:24 PM
On 2008-04-25 21:13, astuarlen wrote:
Wow, I'm actually surprised by how little you guys read! Sadly, I don't have much time to do so when classes are in session (although, maybe if I farted around on the Internots less...) I have a pretty big list of novels I intend to read in the nearish future, hopefully,Time is an issue for me as well. I have a subscription to Time, so I read those every week, as well as internet news. I have a bunch of books on my computer I want to read this summer.

I'm in the middle of World War Z, and next up is a mythology book (I think its mostly/all Greek and Roman).

Nitro Vordex
Apr 25, 2008, 11:25 PM
I've read:
Small Favor, by Jim Butcher(and all of the other Dreseden files books)
Madhouse, by Rob Thurman

As of this year, I haven't read much else. I'll prolly start diggin' into my mom's books, as she used to have a mini library of them. o.o

astuarlen
Apr 25, 2008, 11:28 PM
On 2008-04-25 21:24, Ketchup345 wrote:
Time is an issue for me as well. I have a subscription to Time

This amuses me.

Solstis
Apr 25, 2008, 11:44 PM
I'm re-reading Roland Barthes, been too busy to read for fun, though a lot of the books I had to read for my last semester were fun.

Lots of Urusulu K. Lay Gooin gooin' on there.

astuarlen
Apr 26, 2008, 12:05 AM
On 2008-04-25 21:44, Solstis wrote:
I'm re-reading Roland Barthes, been too busy to read for fun, though a lot of the books I had to read for my last semester were fun.

Lots of Urusulu K. Lay Gooin gooin' on there.

Hell, even the Wikipediation of Monsieur Barthes looks too dry for me. I'll stick with LeGeoducks.

Sord
Apr 26, 2008, 12:17 AM
favorite books, I can't choose http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

tons of Isaac Asimov (all the Foundations books and all but one of the robot empire series/collection or whatever I, Robot is from)
tons of Phillip k. Dick
tons of Michael Crichton
tons of Orson Scott Card (all of the Ender related books and all the Alvin Maker series)
Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Colfer (heard there is going to be another one in July, YAY)
Abhorsen/Old Kingdom trilogy by Garth Nix (also his Seventh Tower series)
the Nightside series by Simon R. Green (definitely top faves, several books)
Abarat series by Clive Barker (only 2 currently, 3rd in production)
Pendragon series by D. J. MacHale (this is 6 or 7 books)
Red October by Tom Clancy

Recently (as in the last semestser) I have read
Kite Runner (decent book imo, I think it's overpraised though)
2001: A Space Odyssey
Maximum Ride series (3rd book came out recently)
The Chocolate War, despite being assigned it I liked it enough to check out it's sequel Beyond the Chocolate War as well
The New Policeman (by some new Irish author)
Dreamhunter and it's sequel Dreamquake (good duet)
Stoneheart by Charlie Fletcher
Storm Thief
The Last Days (sequel to Peeps which I read last semester) by Scott Westerfield
there are some I probably forgot

as you can see (or maybe can't) I really don't care about age or difficulty level, I can read from either end of the spectrum and still enjoy it

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sord on 2008-04-25 22:19 ]</font>

Weeaboolits
Apr 26, 2008, 12:56 PM
Primarily science fiction novels, I generally prefer them to be either somewhat plausable (like Michael Crichton's books), or completely outlandish (suchs as Hitchhiker's Guide).

Edit: Forgot to list titles.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Douglas Adams)

The Color of Magic (Terry Pratchet)

Prey (Michael Crichton)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ronin_Cooper on 2008-04-26 10:59 ]</font>