PDA

View Full Version : PSO-XBox: X-Box got shut down early

Cranberry
Apr 25, 2008, 09:04 PM
It looks like X-Box PSO was shut off a week early. The servers have been down for several days now after some maintanence was done, and from what I've read they still aren't up. I don't think they are coming back up. Kind of a low blow to the faithful X-Box subscribers.

AlexCraig
Apr 25, 2008, 09:11 PM
Well that certainly sucks! What the hell? Not even a notice?

CromartieDude
Apr 25, 2008, 10:28 PM
No...NOO

No......NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! I-i was going to pay till the end!........but now it looks like i'm too late.....goodnight sweet prince........i'll miss you.

TsukasaDCX
Apr 25, 2008, 11:23 PM
wTF
I was so looking forward to the last day

Ryna
Apr 26, 2008, 07:16 AM
Can anyone verify Cranberry's story? If they can, I'll write up a brief news story.

Zos1396
Apr 26, 2008, 09:30 AM
I can verify that the server is gone. When I tried to connect, it came up with a server maintenance message. It's disappointing now that psox online is no more.

Kanore
Apr 26, 2008, 10:15 AM
Wow, sucks that X-Box users were unable to celebrate the final day...

Ryna
Apr 26, 2008, 10:31 AM
I've posted a news article on the front page.

Talk about a bad way to go. This is worse than the Gamecube billing debacle at its shutdown.

Out_Kast
Apr 26, 2008, 10:33 AM
I take it you got my PM, Ryna?
Sheesh. Talk about being stingy. SEGA really do know how to annoy customers.

TsukasaDCX
Apr 26, 2008, 10:59 AM
On 2008-04-26 07:30, Zos1396 wrote:
I can verify that the server is gone. When I tried to connect, it came up with a server maintenance message. It's disappointing now that psox online is no more.

I got the same Error 101 message

Edit: Okay, I just Emailed xbox.com support
Im gonna see what they say

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TsukasaDCX on 2008-04-26 09:20 ]</font>

Cranberry
Apr 26, 2008, 11:57 AM
I'd like to see what they say in responds to your email TsukasaDCX. There's still a chance the servers might come back up. But given how long they've been down now it seems unlikely. Truely this really is a slap in the face to the small but loyal X-Box PSO population.

AlexCraig
Apr 26, 2008, 01:37 PM
Sad day for all PSO players. Even worse than the BB shut down. At least they knew when they were going to be shut down.

kevlar_pso
Apr 26, 2008, 02:37 PM
The server is not coming back up. I spoke with Raff the Supervisor for Xbox Live on Original Xbox, he said that the server is not coming back up. We got the shaft.

TsukasaDCX
Apr 26, 2008, 05:59 PM
On 2008-04-26 12:37, kevlar_pso wrote:
The server is not coming back up. I spoke with Raff the Supervisor for Xbox Live on Original Xbox, he said that the server is not coming back up. We got the shaft.

Did they give a reason?

VioletSkye
Apr 26, 2008, 06:05 PM
Totally uncool. That completely robs people of having that last hurrah.

3---Hit---U
Apr 26, 2008, 06:39 PM
On 2008-04-26 16:05, VioletSkye wrote:

Thats bull..

But everything dies sometime

PSO didn't deserve to die though..
least not until I did http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Cranberry
Apr 26, 2008, 08:29 PM
On 2008-04-26 16:39, 3---Hit---U wrote:

On 2008-04-26 16:05, VioletSkye wrote:

Thats bull..

But everything dies sometime

PSO didn't deserve to die though..
least not until I did http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

If we go off the claim from the earlier poster that says he spoke to a supervisor, than its confirmed that it's not coming back. That means the official shutoff date of PSO X-Box version is April 22nd, 2008.

We could debate all day long whether or not PSOX deserved to have its service discontinued or not, but I think we'll all agree that online PSO X-Box should not have died in the manor that it has.

I was never on X-Box PSO, and I know the population there wasn't huge. But the people that were there were quite loyal to a company that long forgot about them. They were promised this final week of PSO, and that promise was not honored. This is a true slap in the face for this small but loyal band of people that enjoyed the X-Box servers.

X-Box players, though your adventures on Ragol may be offline only now, you are still hunters of Pioneer 2. And you are still loved memebers of this PSO Community. An offline only hunter is no less a hunter. Never forget that.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cranberry on 2008-04-26 21:30 ]</font>

AlexCraig
Apr 26, 2008, 08:42 PM
Amen to that.

DaMan
Apr 26, 2008, 09:42 PM
Oh well its unfortuate that it went out the way it did, JoshuaOmG and myself were trying to get C1 done and we were about half way thru.
We would have did it for sure if we could've found kevlar_pso online.

Freeze
Apr 26, 2008, 10:36 PM
I even gathered up all my PD ready to spend and I was hoping to get a few screen shots of the last days. Instead I got that bloody server message. Not cool, not cool at all.

TsukasaDCX
Apr 27, 2008, 12:31 PM
So I just got an email back
The guy completely avoided the issue and made it connectivity problem even though I specifically stated it was about the PSOX server.

AlexCraig
Apr 27, 2008, 12:40 PM
Tch! Bastard.

kevlar_pso
Apr 28, 2008, 04:01 AM
On 2008-04-26 15:59, TsukasaDCX wrote:

On 2008-04-26 12:37, kevlar_pso wrote:

Did they give a reason?

Well, I submitted some news on this prior to what was posted on the front page, but I guess my html skills are not up to par and Ryna did not want to go through and correct everything. l0l Can't blame her.

Raff gave no reason other than I was read an internal Xbox Live memo from SEGA stating that after the Xbox Live Maintenance, the PSO-X server would not be coming back up. I made it very clear how upset I was over this. Going so far as to state that I spent $250 for my 5 years of Xbox Live Subscription, $519.10 on 58 months of my Hunter’s License for PSO-X, and purchased an Original Xbox Console @$300 just to play PSO with voice chat. Over one grand to M$ and I was not a happy customer. He said that there were none higher than himself, and if I felt like I needed to I could contact corporate headquarters of Microsoft.

I asked for his name and spelled it out as he said it, "R-A-P-H, thank you Raph." His grinning reply was, "R-A-F-F, like the ninja turtle." I held back a l0l considering how upset I was. So, if you want to complain, corporate is the way to go since Raff could care less how much $$$ I had dropped for M$.

Cranberry
Apr 28, 2008, 12:58 PM
Thank you Kevlar_pso. From what you've explained from your dealings with Raff, it sounds like its more Sega's doing than Microsoft. This is more than a slap in the face for our X-Box hunters, it's a flat out punch in the head. And Microsoft is not off the hook here, even if Sega told them to take it down early the very least they could do is give some kind of public announcement or notification!

The X-Box players have been some of the most loyal hunters you will ever see from Pioneer 2. Eternal Christmas has been on their ships for what 3 years? They haven't received a single content update since that began. There has not been one ounce of support for them, yet they continued to pay their hunters license fees and form bonds and friendships with their fellow hunters. Even after most of their ranks left, there remained a small but very loyal following. For these special hunters, Sega is all they had. They don't have private servers they can migrate too. They stayed loyal to a service that had forgotten them, considered them too insignificant, too small to pay attention too. But they stayed anyways.

When Gamecube was shut down, they watched and wondered about their own fates. They watched as Blue Burst was shut down and they became the last man standing in North America for PSO. They knew they were on borrowed time, but didn't know how much they had. Finally, they learned that they were next on the chopping block.

Knowing their time was near, they began preparing their last hoorahs. I've seen topics of people aiminig to finish Challenge Mode and get their S-Rank weapons to bring offline with them. I've seen people talking about rounding up all their photon drop in prepration for one final Gallon's Shop shopping spree. They began to arrange final attacks on Falz and Olga. Friends were preparing to be together one last time before saying goodbye. And many were going to be right there online for the final countdown.

Then, the shocking development. Some standard X-Box live maintenance, which none of them thought anything of. It's been done many times before, it's nothing new or unusual. The maintenance period ends, and the server isn't up again. It only takes a day or so before people realize this isn't a slight delay, something is wrong. The server has been shut off a week early, with no notification or warning of this sudden change. The X-Box players, some of Sega's most loyal and dedicated customers, have been punched in the face and kicked away, denied their last hoora. Denied a chance to get those final S-ranks. Denied a chance to say goodbye to faithful friends and comrads. Denied a chance to take that final attack on Falz and Olga. Denied a chance for proper closure. Sega & Microsoft haven't just shut down the server early, they've cancelled X-Box's going away party. The decision to shut down X-Box PSO in and of itself can be justified. Nothing is forever. But to deny them their last hoora, and their going away party. That is simply wrong.

On April 30th, I am going to be doing a tribute to X-Box PSO in the form of an offline run against both Falz and Olga. I'm on Gamecube and I've never owned an X-Box, but I still respect these players. If any X-Box players want to join me, we could coordinate this so that we are doing offline runs at the same time in the same areas in tribute of X-Box PSO. Its sort of like a multi-player game in spirit. While gameplay wise your character may be alone, in spirit you have a whole legion of hunters fighting along side you. We could use an instant messanger program or a topic on these forums to post little updates of our progress such as when we reach a certain room or when we beat a certain boss.

If anyone wants to join in on this offline "multi player" X-Box tribute game, let me know.

Freeze
Apr 28, 2008, 06:04 PM
Amen Cranberry, It's nice to have support from our fellow brother and sister hunters from the other systems.

AlexCraig
Apr 28, 2008, 06:13 PM
I'm game for the tribute. I never had a chance to play online X-box, or offline for that matter. I only recently got PSOX. But in honor of you devout PSOX players, I shall play on the 30th. Whether it be GC offline, or private server BB, I shall play.

kevlar_pso
Apr 29, 2008, 04:20 AM
I am down, I will even go a step further and play multiplayer w/my son all morning into the afternoon.

Jaspaller
Apr 30, 2008, 08:24 PM
I've been meaning to post this for at least a week now but I haven't since I've been banned. I asked about the server shutdown from Sega's side... apparently Sega (or at least the site mods there) had no knowledge about PSOX going down

http://boards2.sega.com/sega_board/viewtopic.php?t=86686
All I got from this was that ST had no idea and Microsoft had TOTAL control of PSO's servers.

There's another thread here as well from some random person and momonpso replies with the same thing that's already been stated.
http://boards2.sega.com/sega_board/viewtopic.php?t=87892

I talked to the techs at xbox a few days ago and even the supervisor had no knowledge... instead they put the blame on Sega once again. They said they would 'send it up' and to call back to see if the ticket is updated but I guess it doesn't matter now.

Good going microsoft, I thought they would've had more respect for their customers.

SStrikerR
Apr 30, 2008, 08:55 PM
On 2008-04-28 10:58, Cranberry wrote:
Thank you Kevlar_pso. From what you've explained from your dealings with Raff, it sounds like its more Sega's doing than Microsoft. This is more than a slap in the face for our X-Box hunters, it's a flat out punch in the head. And Microsoft is not off the hook here, even if Sega told them to take it down early the very least they could do is give some kind of public announcement or notification!

The X-Box players have been some of the most loyal hunters you will ever see from Pioneer 2. Eternal Christmas has been on their ships for what 3 years? They haven't received a single content update since that began. There has not been one ounce of support for them, yet they continued to pay their hunters license fees and form bonds and friendships with their fellow hunters. Even after most of their ranks left, there remained a small but very loyal following. For these special hunters, Sega is all they had. They don't have private servers they can migrate too. They stayed loyal to a service that had forgotten them, considered them too insignificant, too small to pay attention too. But they stayed anyways.

When Gamecube was shut down, they watched and wondered about their own fates. They watched as Blue Burst was shut down and they became the last man standing in North America for PSO. They knew they were on borrowed time, but didn't know how much they had. Finally, they learned that they were next on the chopping block.

Knowing their time was near, they began preparing their last hoorahs. I've seen topics of people aiminig to finish Challenge Mode and get their S-Rank weapons to bring offline with them. I've seen people talking about rounding up all their photon drop in prepration for one final Gallon's Shop shopping spree. They began to arrange final attacks on Falz and Olga. Friends were preparing to be together one last time before saying goodbye. And many were going to be right there online for the final countdown.

Then, the shocking development. Some standard X-Box live maintenance, which none of them thought anything of. It's been done many times before, it's nothing new or unusual. The maintenance period ends, and the server isn't up again. It only takes a day or so before people realize this isn't a slight delay, something is wrong. The server has been shut off a week early, with no notification or warning of this sudden change. The X-Box players, some of Sega's most loyal and dedicated customers, have been punched in the face and kicked away, denied their last hoora. Denied a chance to get those final S-ranks. Denied a chance to say goodbye to faithful friends and comrads. Denied a chance to take that final attack on Falz and Olga. Denied a chance for proper closure. Sega & Microsoft haven't just shut down the server early, they've cancelled X-Box's going away party. The decision to shut down X-Box PSO in and of itself can be justified. Nothing is forever. But to deny them their last hoora, and their going away party. That is simply wrong.

On April 30th, I am going to be doing a tribute to X-Box PSO in the form of an offline run against both Falz and Olga. I'm on Gamecube and I've never owned an X-Box, but I still respect these players. If any X-Box players want to join me, we could coordinate this so that we are doing offline runs at the same time in the same areas in tribute of X-Box PSO. Its sort of like a multi-player game in spirit. While gameplay wise your character may be alone, in spirit you have a whole legion of hunters fighting along side you. We could use an instant messanger program or a topic on these forums to post little updates of our progress such as when we reach a certain room or when we beat a certain boss.

If anyone wants to join in on this offline "multi player" X-Box tribute game, let me know.

If it's possible for someone to make me that sad with a story of a videogame ending, it's you. After reading that...well, i'm pretty sad right now, and where did the sega that used to be great to us go? First they come out with psu and screw that up for many people, then they forget and throw away pso, which is probably the game that got them the most profits and things like that. They kicked us all and they don't care. They tell us to move onto PSU, but they're being pretty lazy right now and adding parts of pso to psu...and realling fucking them up. It's an insult to pso, and I won't take this shit anymore. I may play psu portable, but other than that..well, pso is my game, and I'll continue to play it.

P.S Back when the gc servers were still up there were MANY times when I was the only one online, sitting in my nice lobby of altair 1-4. Then there were the great times with neo, mario, and halo zelos, who happens to be garanz-baranz here. On my first online game halo zelos and mario joined pretty much right away, and we had some great times.

Mario was garo leader on psu, but after finally meeting up with him he vanished a few days later, and I haven't heard from him since.

Halo Zelos/kitty arika is still here on pso-w and is an active player on psu.

Neo...I really don't know what happened to him, but great times.

kevlar_pso
May 1, 2008, 05:15 AM
On 2008-04-30 18:24, Jaspaller wrote:
I've been meaning to post this for at least a week now but I haven't since I've been banned. I asked about the server shutdown from Sega's side... apparently Sega (or at least the site mods there) had no knowledge about PSOX going down

http://boards2.sega.com/sega_board/viewtopic.php?t=86686
All I got from this was that ST had no idea and Microsoft had TOTAL control of PSO's servers.

There's another thread here as well from some random person and momonpso replies with the same thing that's already been stated.
http://boards2.sega.com/sega_board/viewtopic.php?t=87892

I talked to the techs at xbox a few days ago and even the supervisor had no knowledge... instead they put the blame on Sega once again. They said they would 'send it up' and to call back to see if the ticket is updated but I guess it doesn't matter now.

Good going microsoft, I thought they would've had more respect for their customers.

Banning FTW! l0l j/k Jas. You were the last person I played with online. I tried to phrase that as non-gay as possible, I hope it worked. I will have to check out those threads as I had momonpso on my friends list for PSO-X. Give us an update when you happen to get one.

Jaspaller
May 1, 2008, 09:22 AM
I really don't have high hopes but when I get some time to waste for what would be another 50 minutes trying to get the techs to give me the information I need, I'll update you guys.

OmegaLegend
May 9, 2008, 12:59 AM
*sigh* What a "Randy Orton style punt right to the temple followed up with a hard stomp to the nuts and ending with a Batista Bomb from 30' up" to EVERY single PSO X-Box player out there. I remember when this started, there were TONS of players, clans were springing up like weeds and people were swapping weapons like baseball cards back in the day. I never really got to see it deteriorate to the point where there were so few players online, a block was occupied by one player - brother took my X-Box for about 2-1/2 or 3 years to college in SC - but I'm starting to think maybe I was lucky, since it would break my heart if I had to play long stretches of time without blood vesel or skittiles or Sifacus or anyone else I played with online. Now it's gone 100% and a week early to boot. *I react like I took a huge blow to my gut, then slowly recompose myself* It's OK, that was just Sega, Sonic Team and Microsoft collectively kicking me and all the other PSO online players in the nuts. Nice going, guys; you've given the ultimate signal that you really don't give a shit about your customers.

xxTrystanxx
May 16, 2008, 11:02 AM
http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif Wow. That's just cold. Sucks I've been without internet for the last few months... would have liked to get back on for a last hurrah. Shame I missed it.

DAVBURITE 10 FOREVER

As a side note: Eternal Christmas began on December 1, 2005.

Jaspaller
May 16, 2008, 11:08 AM
Y halo thar. You missed all the fun in the last month. We had some people join in like Spyder, Yusaku, and even DJDAR who came back for a while before his xbox went kaput on him.

Pballer42
May 17, 2008, 12:15 PM
man i wish i could have gotten bac on to my xbox for one last hurrah

on a side note hey trys good to see ya back posting again its been a while

xxTrystanxx
May 21, 2008, 04:58 PM
Well... not consistently, yet. Hopefully, I'll be getting internet set up at home soon. After nearly a year without it, I'm missing not having Internet access while at home, and having finally picked up a 360 and PSU, I'm eager to start playing online again.

Jaspaller
May 21, 2008, 05:13 PM
On 2008-05-21 14:58, xxTrystanxx wrote:
Well... not consistently, yet. Hopefully, I'll be getting internet set up at home soon. After nearly a year without it, I'm missing not having Internet access while at home, and having finally picked up a 360 and PSU, I'm eager to start playing online again.

Awesome. Although I really don't play PSU anymore, feel free to add me when you get online sometime during the road.

Freeze
May 21, 2008, 07:20 PM
On 2008-05-21 14:58, xxTrystanxx wrote:

If you want a hand leveling up or just someone to play with feel free to give me a shout. If no one has mentioned it be sure to get AOI, its essential for PSU.