http://eden.rutgers.edu/~mtenorio/IMG/lulz/bikecrash.gif
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/869/869381p7.html

Well good review but they should of stressed more
emphasis on how revolutionary the multiplayer's
free roam will be. I mean friends hanging out
in the most realistic city ever created that they can
interact and immerse themselves in together. the
possibilities are almsot endless, and not all groups
will be playing it for the meanie criminal aspects. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

well ya mmorpg worlds have that atmosphere too but
not at this level of freedom, realism, detail and
natural balance (you don't need to be level 20 and
have a license to drive. wheeee!! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif )

but ya, I remember when Gamespot gave Chrono Cross
a perfect 10, they really had good taste in that
rare occasion.

but ya this topic is really a reminder that while
a score doesn't necessarily measure its value for
everyone, there is some truth behind the number.
But of course even then, even Games of the Year
can never win everyone's interest. There are so
many different opinions and perspectives and tastes http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Saner on 2008-04-26 20:44 ]</font>

CupOfCoffee
Apr 26, 2008, 10:56 AM
Well, the GTA games always get stellar professional reviews, and I still never enjoy them. But cool I guess. I didn't know Soul Calibur got a 10/10.

ljkkjlcm9
Apr 26, 2008, 11:01 AM
Well, so far the game only has 4 reviews. We'll see how it holds up after it gets... 59 press ratings like Mario Galaxy. After 59 reviews it averaged to 9.7

I've never personally enjoyed GTA, and I've never understood the fuss about them. But to each their own I suppose

THE JACKEL

Saner
Apr 26, 2008, 11:40 AM
well ya I didn't like GTA games either cause there was no decent
selection of avatars (well except GTA3's cheat code to play as any
character model in the whole city), but ya the multiplayer will finally
give a GTA the evolution and revolution of online interaction, city
immersiveness and more freedom!

and the fun is only limited by people's imagination (and within the
city's offerings). http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

it makes first person shooter multiplayer look brainless.
it makes mmorpgs look like too much work for so little.
it makes offline games look too lonely.
it makes vehicle games look too restricted.
it makes the Sims look too confined.
it makes River City Ransom look flat.

etc. etc. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Blitzkommando
Apr 26, 2008, 12:28 PM
Ahaha GTA...

Alamar
Apr 26, 2008, 12:42 PM
Great game. Blockbuster is going to stay open Monday night till 12:30 for early release. For those of us that prepaid you can pick it up Monday at Midnight. You can also preorder till Sunday. I can't wait I got the special edition one. The bank safety deposit box will be cool as hell.

eXo
Apr 26, 2008, 12:57 PM
"While this game does seem like a vast improvement, no game is really worthy of a 10/10 review. Because then it would be absolutely perfect, and we know that no game is perfect."

Solstis
Apr 26, 2008, 01:29 PM
GTA is not going to give me the Call of Duty experience. Namely, I will not get quite as much satisfaction jumping to certain death out of a desperate measure to get just a few more kills. Cooking a grenade and wandering in to an enemy base will offer little satisfaction in comparison.

This is because everyone will be doing it. GTA makes what is extraordinary in other games the expected, reducing it all to trivialities.

Saner
Apr 26, 2008, 01:47 PM
well CoD is a battlefield military game. GTA is more of an urban game,
but it blends all kinds of gameplay really well and much better this time.

of course it can't replace stuff like Gran Turismo's customizable cars,
but I rather have an uncustomizable vehicle that I can
cruise with and explore with in a living city (not to mention exit the
vehicle if wanting to travel on foot or change vehicles)
than just drive around in circles in a much smaller space http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Nitro Vordex
Apr 26, 2008, 01:53 PM
Honestly, the only game that deserved such a review was LoZ:OoT.

OH WAIT

Raine_Loire
Apr 26, 2008, 01:55 PM
If game review sites were luxury hotel wuites, IGN would be like... the bathroom...

Keep that in mind, anyway...

Zorafim
Apr 26, 2008, 02:17 PM
You can't spell ignorance without ign.

Frana
Apr 26, 2008, 02:30 PM
On 2008-04-26 12:17, Zorafim wrote:

Genius.

The main reason I never like GTA was because it was repetitive. All you can do is steal vehicles and kill pedestrains. YAWN! I'm not saying I don't like sandbox games, hell Bumpy Trot is my faovrite game ever, but GTA just gets old really, really quick.

But the multiplayer does sond pretty cool...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Frana on 2008-04-26 12:31 ]</font>

ABDUR101
Apr 26, 2008, 03:30 PM
..why are you comparing this GTA shit to a MMO again? I can do alot more in a MMO than I can in GTA. They're called professions, classes, races.

Oh boy I can pimp out my suburnanite wanna-be black-but-is-too-white game character! Oh joyous days! Oh wait! Even though I'm not black, I can totally make a black character and act out my fantasy of being gangsta!

Ya know, this game is an action game; no more, no less. Is it going to be fun? I'd sure as hell hope so. Will people play it? Do ducks shit in their own drinking water? Of course!

Stop comparing this game to things that are far greater, and much more capable. The GTA series is nothing more than simple run and gun fun, it's mindless and thats ok, but I don't think it ever deserves a 10/10. Historical moment? No, Martin Luther King Jr's speach was a historical moment, IGN giving a game a 10/10 is more like a "I wonder how much they were paid"-moment.

And as was said, the reviews you're reading right now? They're 'hype reviews'. They're the reviews that come out for 'blockbuster' games in order to ramp the hype up, and people then go out after reading a review of the final product and end up purchasing the game when they might usually wait on it.

Wait until there are reviews of it plastered all over, and people actually play it for afew weeks and then give an honest opinion on the game's lasting appeal. Anyone can shit a review out after afew days of grinding through the game and say "This is the most well-polished gem EVAR!", and then you know what usually happens? In a week or two, they barely play the well-polished peice of shit that they gave a stellar review of, because there's another well-polished peice of shit that they are all hyped about and want to play and spread the news about, moreso to be the first to say how awesome it is.

It's kinda like when someone runs around saying "Hey guys look at this awesome new game coming out! It's going to be so cool and you can do this and this and this..." and then you see the game and you think "..what kind of fucked up imagination does that guy have?"

Ya know, my nephews used to role-play in Halo, one would be the 'salesman' and the other would be the buyer, and they'd sell warthogs, tanks and ghosts to each other. So by some people's definition I guess GTA IV has an auction house and all that aswell right? Yard sales, etc?

Dangerous55
Apr 26, 2008, 05:14 PM
If I had money, I'd but it. But alas, I have no money. So I will not purchase it.

I'm sure it will be fun, I'll pick it up eventually.

People put too much stock in these reviews. Use them to get facts that can't be driven by bias, that is all. Don't argue about them. You can't change them. They ain't a big deal.

If you think you'll like a game, play it. Don't get infuriated when someone gives a game a good review and you...well you must be outta your mind if that upsets ya.

Monochrome
Apr 26, 2008, 07:10 PM
No matter how pretty and how great this game series gets, I still have never completed more than 6 missions in all the games combined.

run amok

run amok

run amok

anyone else?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Monochrome on 2008-04-26 17:13 ]</font>

Retehi
Apr 26, 2008, 07:39 PM
GTA killed peoples parents. True story.

Ahh nerd rage. No matter, I'm waiting on the PC version myself, can't wait. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Blue-Hawk
Apr 26, 2008, 08:22 PM
Well, you know what they say. There's no accounting for taste. And Gamespot reviewers have absolutly none at all.

Saner
Apr 26, 2008, 10:16 PM
well that's why monochrome, the real fun comes form the creativity
of making use of the freedom and features the envionrment and stuff
allows! I don't play for the story missions, but personally GTA3 was
the only good GTA out of all of them. but GTA4 will surpass that thanks
to multiplayer, but hopefully there's a cheat for character creation
offline too somehow.

Saner
Apr 26, 2008, 10:26 PM
oh hey here is a good read!

http://ps3.gamespy.com/playstation-3/grand-theft-auto-iv/869691p1.html

"Delsyn: For myself, my console colleagues will no doubt scream as I break out the dreaded MMO word to describe why I like the GTA games: they are, in many ways, what an MMO tries to be. It's a vast, open world with a definite linear path to follow to the end of a storyline. The real fun of GTA, though, has always been going off the beaten track and seeing what kinds of goodies the developers have left for us to discover, or trying to figure out ways to "break the world" in ways the developers hadn't anticipated. I remember how much fun it was to leap the Vice City Canal and see how many pedestrians I could land on on the other side. There were so many different ways to have fun in Grand Theft Auto III and Vice City that it's possible to play for a year and still find ways to amuse yourself.

As for the prospect of doing so in multiplayer, how can this not sound like fun? No lines, no queues, no monthly fees, just a vast open world for you and your buddies to team up and cause as much mayhem as you want. Sure there are multiplayer "modes" included by RockStar that we've previously mentioned, but I'd lay dollars to doughnuts that once the GTA community gets a hold of it, someone will come up with some sort of multiplayer challenge within the game that nobody's ever thought of and it'll rapidly become a meme within the community. "

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Saner on 2008-04-26 20:44 ]</font>

ABDUR101
Apr 26, 2008, 10:54 PM
The sad thing is, you're only going to have fun jumping and landing on pedestrians so many times before it becomes 'the usual thing' in game. Sure, its fun hitting the E-break and jack-knifing into a crowd, but that wears thin after a while. You can only crash and bobble around so many times before that gets old aswell.

Crackdown was cool for awhile too, and you were basically a super-human in that game, eventually all the 'extraordinary' stuff you do loses its luster and you realise its just nothing special, and theres no long-term fun out of it.

Monochrome
Apr 26, 2008, 10:57 PM
On 2008-04-26 20:16, Saner wrote:
well that's why monochrome, the real fun comes form the creativity
of making use of the freedom and features the envionrment and stuff
allows! I don't play for the story missions, but personally GTA3 was
the only good GTA out of all of them. but GTA4 will surpass that thanks
to multiplayer, but hopefully there's a cheat for character creation
offline too somehow.

I suppose that's true... also (in addition to creating chaos) for me, alot of times I just liked to stand quietly in the city, observing random stuff happening around me as day turned to night and back again..

I dunno if this is a 'system seller' for me, but if I had an xbox 360 or ps3 I'd pick it up for sure.. (but since I'm leaning toward a Wii right now, no GTAIV for me)

I'm sure it will move quite alot of hardware though

Saner
Apr 26, 2008, 11:18 PM
On 2008-04-26 20:54, ABDUR101 wrote:
The sad thing is, you're only going to have fun jumping and landing on pedestrians so many times before it becomes 'the usual thing' in game. Sure, its fun hitting the E-break and jack-knifing into a crowd, but that wears thin after a while. You can only crash and bobble around so many times before that gets old aswell.

Crackdown was cool for awhile too, and you were basically a super-human in that game, eventually all the 'extraordinary' stuff you do loses its luster and you realise its just nothing special, and theres no long-term fun out of it.

there is LOTS OF LONG TERM FUN, but it really depends on
the limits of your imagination and what interests
you, but that's also why the multiplayer will take
it 1000 times further because having a city to yourself
is more fun with friends.

Well ya the simple stuff is frags and chaos, but
there is so much more to it if people care to search
for all the possibilities and design your own ways
to enjoy the city. It doesn't have to involve crime
or stunts or races all the time.
But ya, the people who will lose interest
are sadly those who run out of ideas or expect too much beyond what it already offers.
http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

gamesradar made an interesting article.

http://www.gamesradar.com/f/6-reasons-why-kids-should-play-gta/a-20080425114230554006

Rubius-sama
Apr 27, 2008, 12:10 AM
On 2008-04-26 12:17, Zorafim wrote:

I dare you to go say that at gamefaqs.com and watch what happens.

Kylie
Apr 27, 2008, 01:54 AM
Well, neat. It's just someone's opinion though,

*still won't buy the game*

Nitro Vordex
Apr 27, 2008, 03:17 AM
On 2008-04-26 20:26, Saner wrote:

Get w/ Burnout.

Zorafim
Apr 27, 2008, 03:36 AM
On 2008-04-26 22:10, Rubius-sama wrote:
I dare you to go say that at gamefaqs.com and watch what happens.

Where do you think I found it?

Oh, and that gif is priceless.

Eihwaz
Apr 27, 2008, 03:53 AM
I've never as seriously considered getting a GTA game as I have this one. The single-player experience sounds quite marvelous, and the multiplayer sounds like something I would enjoy way too much.

Also, one of the radio stations has "Waters of Nazareth" by Justice. kthnxbai. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Saner
Apr 27, 2008, 01:35 PM
On 2008-04-27 01:53, Eihwaz wrote:
I've never as seriously considered getting a GTA game as I have this one. The single-player experience sounds quite marvelous, and the multiplayer sounds like something I would enjoy way too much.

Also, one of the radio stations has "Waters of Nazareth" by Justice. kthnxbai. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

yay! your perception is very keen! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Darkly
Apr 27, 2008, 01:49 PM
well i've been playing it for the most of last night and i can say it feels great to play. I was never into GTA (back when i was a 13 year old nintendo fanboy lol) but just playing the game for a few hours ow i can see where all this hype is from.

To put it in perspective i spent an hour just watching tv on the game because it was actually laugh out loud funny ( i reccommend you all watch "i'm rich" when you get the chance.

I didn't want to risk it online just incase i get banned or whatever so i havn't played multiplayer yet but i did the multiplayer tutorial and the avatar customisation is a bit weak as you know but i made a character i liked so multiplayer's obviously going to be the part i spend most time in.

I mean i can understand generally negativity about this game from this site in particular, just mainly because its a clash of interests but damn, is it fun to play. The game is also really well polished as expected. Everyone's entitled to their opinion and i don't think it's a 10 just because no game is but I can safely say it's definately converted me!

Syl
Apr 27, 2008, 02:19 PM
On 2008-04-27 01:17, Nitro_Vordex wrote:

On 2008-04-26 20:26, Saner wrote:

Get w/ Burnout.

When it comes to crazy traffic dodging, demolishing other cars, pulling off crazy stunts and etc...

Burnout > GTA

(opinion of course)

Kent
Apr 27, 2008, 04:19 PM
Chrono Cross getting 10/10...

The World Ends With You getting a 9/10...

...Wow, my point about IGN's reviews was just proven before I even stated it. Amazing.

The point, of course, is to have saltlick handy every time you read one, 'cause you'll need it.

McLaughlin
Apr 27, 2008, 04:32 PM
On 2008-04-27 14:19, Kent wrote:

...Wow, my point about IGN's reviews was just proven before I even stated it. Amazing.

The point, of course, is to have saltlick handy every time you read one, 'cause you'll need it.

Are you implying that The World Ends With you deserved a better grade, while Chrono Trigger didn't? Or that both games suck and IGN's numerical grading is worthless?

I don't follow.

Kent
Apr 27, 2008, 04:40 PM
On 2008-04-27 14:32, Obsidian_Knight wrote:

On 2008-04-27 14:19, Kent wrote:

Are you implying that The World Ends With you deserved a better grade, while Chrono Trigger didn't? Or that both games suck and IGN's numerical grading is worthless?

I don't follow.

Specifically, that they gave a better grade to Chrono Cross, a game that was just "good," (but not great, by any means - I'd say 8.6 or so) than they did to The World Ends With You, a game that has thus far proven to be nothing short of balls-tighteningly fantastic.

But yeah, my point was to not take their reviews to heart, because they do fail to understand things about games quite often. Thus the saltlick.

McLaughlin
Apr 27, 2008, 06:06 PM
Ah. That's another good mention of TWEWY. I needs 'ta get it.

Sexy_Raine
Apr 27, 2008, 06:31 PM
IGN never gives a 10 to anything. I guess this will make the GTA fans happy.
I doubt Gamespot will give it the same rating.

Para
Apr 27, 2008, 06:43 PM
with the ratings GTA4 is going, chances it may surpass LOZ:OOT as the best game of all time according to gamerankings.com

McLaughlin
Apr 27, 2008, 06:46 PM
That doesn't mean I'm going to buy it. >_>

Para
Apr 27, 2008, 06:56 PM
lol neither am I but just interesting thing to note since the only other game that came close to threatening LOZ:OOT's supremacy was Super Mario Galaxy.

Alamar
Apr 27, 2008, 08:03 PM
Ah the few that don't like GTA games are all here. There is different genre of games for different people. You like MMO play them. But please don't try to compare A MMO with A GTA game. You play the games you like it is simple. Dam with all this talk about this or that about it. It is going to sell mad amounts of games in the first week. So all those millions of people are what wrong?

ABDUR101
Apr 27, 2008, 08:38 PM
On 2008-04-27 18:03, Alamar wrote:
Ah the few that don't like GTA games are all here. There is different genre of games for different people. You like MMO play them. But please don't try to compare A MMO with A GTA game. You play the games you like it is simple. Dam with all this talk about this or that about it. It is going to sell mad amounts of games in the first week. So all those millions of people are what wrong?

I don't think anyone is saying its going to be a sucky game; my qualm was comparing GTA IV to the heights of a MMO, which Saner has done in afew topics already. He has a tendency to overly embellish things and twist genres appearently.

It's got nothing to do with not having an imagination, its that there are genres and there are games made into those genres; because thats what they are.

I can hand you a quart of soured milk and call it cheese too I guess.

Split
Apr 27, 2008, 10:12 PM
there are forty four reader reviews...yet no one has played it besides the press reviews. I would like to lend a hefty "WTF??!!"

AC9breaker
Apr 28, 2008, 12:24 AM
On 2008-04-27 20:12, Split wrote:
there are forty four reader reviews...yet no one has played it besides the press reviews. I would like to lend a hefty "WTF??!!"

tottents lulz.

The games was leaked on the internets awhile ago. Some people even already have achievements unlocked for it.

I can't wait. I'm going to pick up my copy on Midnight as well as Bring my DS and play The World Ends with you while I wait. I haven't been this interested in a GTA game since the first GTA3 for PS2. The radio staion info looks quite awesome as well.

Everyday I'm hustlin' Everyday I'm Hustlin'
Hustl-hustl-hustl-hustl-hustli-hustlin'

Raine_Loire
Apr 28, 2008, 01:03 AM
On 2008-04-27 16:43, Para wrote:
with the ratings GTA4 is going, chances it may surpass LOZ:OOT as the best game of all time according to gamerankings.com

Maybe on paper it'll look like it surpassed Ocarina of time, but... it's just GTA4. It'll be fun, and I know Laguna and I are each getting a copy so we don't fight over who plays when like we do with Viking, but I don't think it'll be revolutionary in any way... It's just polishing up it's own game play.

An excerpt from the Gamestop review of Ocarina of Time from 10 years ago:

"The game offers a nice challenge, a stunningly well-told story, and the gameplay to back it all up. This game is the real thing. This is the masterpiece that people will still be talking about ten years down the road. This is the game that perfectly exhibits the "quality not quantity" mantra that Nintendo has been touting since the N64 was released. In a word, perfect. To call it anything else would be a bald-faced lie.
By Jeff Gerstmann, GameSpot
Posted Nov 23, 1998 9:20 am PT"

10 years later, lol, people still talk.

McLaughlin
Apr 28, 2008, 06:12 AM
A Gamestop review that hit the mark...

Now I've seen everything.

ABDUR101
Apr 28, 2008, 11:51 AM
The sad thing is, you get alot of 'oh man I wanna review games for a living' kids that get to work on sites and game mags now, and they don't have all that much experience when it comes to really critiquing a game or much of anything else.

I've read reviews where 90% of the review is entirely slanted about how awesome and badass something is, and then they give a very small paragraph toward the end that very vaguely brings up any issues the game has; almost in an effort to not mar the games 8/10 score that they gave it. Then you get the game, and you notice that all the bad stuff they yadda-yadda'd over are actually pretty stand-outish and problematic to the core of the gameplay.

I try to keep track of who reviews a game from which particular site, you can usually spot bad reviewers easily and then just keep tabs on what games they review and the scores they give them. I find that some game reviewers will review games in genres that they don't really like to begin with, and since they lack proper critique knowledge and what to look for in that particular genre they either give the game a really bad time, or they give it too much of a boost without realising when something is broken.

Think of it like this; you would'nt read a Nintendo review of a Nintendo game on a Nintendo site and expect a fair review.(Not singling Nintendo out, because I would'nt trust a review from any publisher/dev that had a finger in making a game.)

I know my nephews will be getting the game, because they've always enjoyed the later releases of the GTA series(along with every GTA 3 wanna-be game). But then they're very early teens and can sit down and enjoy mindlessly doing things with no real goal in mind, and thats a-ok because when I was their age I enjoyed the same thing; however I'm wondering what the lasting appeal will be. I don't even bother sitting down and trying to get all the achievements unlocked in my Xbox 360 games, because I just don't care; once the game has run its course with me it's shelved until a rainy day.

Saner
Apr 28, 2008, 01:38 PM
hey everyone! here's some cheat codes revealed:

Guess what we've got hold of.

All you need to do in order to activate the following status boosts and spawn tricks is use Niko's mobile phone to call the related numbers. cheats 1 - 4 will block the 'Cleaned The Mean Streets' achievement while 5 and 15 will do the same for 'Walk Free'.

1, Health And Weapons - GTA-555-0100
2, Weapons - GUN-555-0150
3, Advanced Weapons - GUN-555-0100
4, Health - DOC-555-0100
5, Wanted Level Down - COP-555-0100
6, Wanted Level Up - COP-555-0150
7, Climate Change - HOT-555-0100
8, Spawn Cognoscenti (Mafia Car) - CAR-555-0142
9, Spawn Sanchez (Dirt Bike) - MBK-555-0150
10, Spawn FBI Buffalo - CAR-555-0100
11, Spawn Turismo - CAR-555-0147
12, Spawn NRG900 - MBK-555-0100
13, Spawn Comet - CAR-555-0175
14, Spawn SuperGT - CAR-555-0168
15, Spawn Police Chopper - FLY-555-0100
16, Spawn Jetmax (Boat) - WET-555-0100

oh course there will be more codes than that, and ya, people
who don't care about achievements will have more fun. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Neith
Apr 28, 2008, 05:57 PM
Heh, knew this'd be a 'review' for GTA as soon as I saw the topic- doesn't surprise me in the slightest, and is the sole reason why I don't bother judging a game by reviews.

I know that if I did buy GTA4, I'd send it back within a week out of boredom. I enjoyed Vice City at the time, but even looking back on that now, it's riddled with glitches and some terrible gameplay. As for the abomination that was San Andreas, I'm not even gonna go any further into that.

Thing is, GTAIV was a hugely anticipated title- I can't go anywhere in my town centre without seeing GTA posters. Most of the games stores are going to open at midnight for the UK release. When a game is this publicised, they nearly always get an awesome review- and as Abdur said, the negative criticism is left to fester in a tiny paragraph on the end of the review. It's all put together as a clever scheme to make the game out as incredible, and it's been this way with certain review sites for a long, long time.

My personal opinion is that there hasn't been any game ever released deserving of a perfect score. There are always problems somewhere- Rock Band is infamous for the crappy quality of the peripherals, GTA San Andreas' multiplayer mode was so limiting there wasn't even any point in it, and so on. If we believed every reviewer, everyone on earth would think Halo is the greatest game ever made. Oh, wait- nevermind.

Zarode
Apr 28, 2008, 07:00 PM
Oh boy~!

GTA! The one game I'm hardly interested in that isn't a Horror. Huh.

Drugs, fake accents, silly crooks, teh po po/copz/whatever you call them, stealing shit, stealing cars, shooting people, with guns, drive-bys.

I dunno, sounds kind of boring if you ask me. "BE A TRUE GANGSTER" Sorry, but I think it'd be more fun to like....

Be an e-thug or something. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Alamar
Apr 28, 2008, 07:29 PM
e-thug hahahaha Sorry I found that funny

Toadthroat
Apr 28, 2008, 07:47 PM
Hey guys. A perfect score doesn't mean the game is without glitches and the like. It just means that the game is REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY FUN, and it while it may have flaws, they are easily overlooked because everything is so polished and welldone.

Darkly
Apr 28, 2008, 08:09 PM
its honestly a really well put together game its not perfect obviously but it has pretty much perfected GTA as a series.

AC9breaker
Apr 28, 2008, 11:40 PM
WOOT GTA4 GET! Intro was pretty well done.

AC9breaker
Apr 28, 2008, 11:45 PM
Holy crap this dood hit this other dood that was crossing the street with his car. So the dood that got hit runs down the street and catches him at the next red light and starts a fight. The guy in the car pulls out a knife and shanks the motherfucker. Then 5/0 rolls up on the dood mad deep like an NFL squad and arrests the motherfucker. Crazy!

Retehi
Apr 28, 2008, 11:52 PM
On 2008-04-28 21:45, AC9breaker wrote:
Holy crap this dood hit this other dood that was crossing the street with his car. So the dood that got hit runs down the street and catches him at the next red light and starts a fight. The guy in the car pulls out a knife and shanks the motherfucker. Then 5/0 rolls up on the dood mad deep like an NFL squad and arrests the motherfucker. Crazy!

Careful man, you'll offend the people here with the big bad 'gangsta' talk. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

PhotonDrop
Apr 29, 2008, 03:46 AM

What.

Darkly
Apr 29, 2008, 04:05 AM

i enjo chasing bad guys down for cops when i see them giving chase. I do a good deed but i always get 1 star =(

Neith
Apr 29, 2008, 06:38 AM
On 2008-04-28 17:47, Toadthroat wrote:
Hey guys. A perfect score doesn't mean the game is without glitches and the like.

It's not perfect then, is it?

Sinue_v2
Apr 29, 2008, 07:09 AM
and I know Laguna and I are each getting a copy so we don't fight over who plays when like we do with Viking

Wait what?

Viking isn't a bad game, per sey, but it seemed exceedingly mediocre to me. Like an unfinished, samey, and rather bland bastard child of God of War and Dynasty Warriors. I just can't fathom the idea of anyone fighting, even jokingly, over who gets to play it.

As for GTA4, eh, I'll probably play it eventually. Had a lot of fun with GTA:Vice City - albiet that fun came from running people down in the street and beating them in the face with a baseball bat for about 15 minuites or sniping the front tires out of motorcycles and laughing gleefully as their bike flipped and their bodies ragdolled into oncoming traffic.

But there's only so much of that you engage in before it becomes passé.

AC9breaker
Apr 29, 2008, 08:17 AM
So yeah this game owns. A brief review of the game after spending 4 hours on it. First off, this trailer (http://www.rockstargames.com/IV/#?page=bellicN&content=video0) really captures the feel of the game. Your a Russian immigrant looking for a new start. Unfortunately fate has different plans for you. I really relate to the story being a 1st generation American citizen in my family, I really feel for the main character Niko and what he's going through. Has a very, "Carlito's Way" feel to it, the story that is. The Driving seem a lot tighter then what I remembered it to be back in Vice City, using the parking brake and doing spin outs and cornering is freaking sweet. Now another feature I love are the choices we're given. I don't wanna spoil any plot points, but I'm glad I'm able to make some decision and play how I wanna play, seems like the game will have multiple endings. Who knows. Liberty City is fucking HUEG! They've really captured NYC down perfect. You can totally take a cab ride and enjoy the awesome scenery.

Online.
Fun as hell, I've only done a death match with random peeps and a Free roam game with a friend but had loads of fun. In death match I ran down peeps with my car, blasted them with an RPG, and sprayed them with my Uzi. You can now Aim the gun a bit to get headshots which was totally freaking sweet. Then I played Free mode with a friend where we explored Liberty City from a chopper, went sightseeing, tried fulfilling our Jihad fantasies by crashing our Chopper into the Empire State Building, and being disappointed by the simple dud, then jumped to our death from there.

one final thing I have to say, NO MORE DEATH BY FALLING IN WATER! Finally! I always thought it was stupid that your character couldn't swim. Now all is well. Can't wait to play with some peeps online! But first story mode!

Theres so much more that can be said too, but right now I need sleep and I wanna play the World Ends with You.

Rashiid
Apr 29, 2008, 08:50 AM
Hmmm..
Wonder how Saints Row 2 is going to do...
I'm actually looking more forward to that.

Darkly
Apr 29, 2008, 09:31 AM
On 2008-04-29 06:50, Rashiid wrote:
Hmmm..

how come, i never played 1st one btw?

Raine_Loire
Apr 29, 2008, 12:02 PM
I have played the fabled GTA4... I give it an 8.5. I might raise it to a 9 by the time I finish but I GUARANTEE YOU it would not get higher in MY reviews. The story is good, Niko is really hilarious- rather than being an idiot like Borat, he's smart and sarcastic, and I get a kick out of him... however I have encountered camera issues and car issues in the first hour and I just can't IMAGINE someone giving it a PERFECT!

@Sinue, Viking is really fun, of course it isn't the greatest, but the thing is I started playing it and then Laguna was like "Oh, wait, I want to play that again!" That's why we get 2 copies of games if I think I'm going to play them... when I enjoy myself he decides he wants it. We bought a copy of GTA and gamefly sent one out yesterday so I'll have one soon enough.

But the reality of the game is- if you like GTA, you'll like the game. If you don't like it, I doubt this game will convert you. It's NOT a perfect 10.

@AC9Breaker- I loled that you say you relate to Niko's story... He came to america already speaking the language and was instantly thrust into a life of crime. You've had a rough go of it if you relate to all that! And... You haven't played GTA in a while have you- I know for a fact you could swim in san andreas, I don't remember if you could in the 2nd though.

AC9breaker
Apr 29, 2008, 01:06 PM
I was speaking more in reference on his coming to America on the words of vast riches and success, but being disappointed by the brutal truth of reality. Yeah like my last post said, last one I played was Vice City.

eXo
Apr 30, 2008, 04:18 AM
ch of Rockstar Games' Bully on the Xbox 360 was marred by a bevy of crash bugs and other glitches. With this morning's heavily anticipated release of Grand Theft Auto IV for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, Rockstar finds itself dealing with still more troubleshooting trouble, as online forums are buzzing with reports of crashes.

Combing through crash threads on the Xbox.com forums, Sony's official message boards, GameSpot, and the NeoGAF forums, it seems that the issues are affecting PlayStation 3 users more frequently, although gamers with both systems are reporting problems. Reports of crashes on the 60GB version of the PS3 hardware are the most common, and tech support advice like deleting and re-installing the game doesn't appear to address the issue effectively.

As of press time, Rockstar has not responded to requests for comment. A representative with Rockstar parent company Take-Two Interactive declined to comment on the issue.

Well this clearly reduces the gameplay score to a 9.0 so goodbye mr [b]10

Rashiid
Apr 30, 2008, 08:38 AM
On 2008-04-29 07:31, Darkly wrote:

On 2008-04-29 06:50, Rashiid wrote:
Hmmm..

how come, i never played 1st one btw?

Something about Saints Row was just awesome.
It wasn't just chaos, like GTA's are. (idk about IV)

It was actually organized gangs and their (actually smart) ways of overtaking the entire city.
And they gang system was amazing. In Vice City, your 'gang' was useless, lol.

After I got Saints Row, I've never touched a GTA since.I do plan on getting GTA IV, since most of my friends are and they say it's freaking amazing, mainly because some features in Saints Row are on there (so they've told me).

I also was amused on how sterotypical Saints Row was on black people. "You made `em yo bitch! Haha!"

Saner
Apr 30, 2008, 11:56 AM
well just passing by to say that GTAIV deserves that 10, even if you
are just playing online (well I even bought it just for the online, the
story doesn't interest me at all, they should of had offline character
creation like Mass Effect.)

anyways ya, last afternoon and night I had the most fun in gaming
history. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif especially with fwends and so many good laughs and
great fun! the controls and abilities are very high quality! the vehicles
feel great (as great as your skills are), the aiming system is
phenomenol, and tons of other things!

I was speechless when I used a helicopter and when from one island
to the other with no loading. the nitpicks reviewer comment about
didn't even distract me, it is smooth enough, and I never had any
noticable lag except one tiem but someone had bad connection.

but ya, to many people this game is a 10, and that is wonderful when ppl feel that way cause
that means and many online agree
they really enjoy what they are playing
more than any other game they played. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Anyone that thinks it deserves less, well, it's their loss not being
able to like and experience this game to its fullest. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

ABDUR101
Apr 30, 2008, 12:52 PM
Just because we don't think it deserves a perfect score doesn't mean we don't think its going to be enjoyable and fun. Dur much?

Raine_Loire
May 1, 2008, 01:12 AM
Saner, it's hard to take your opinion seriously when you follow "I had the most fun in gaming history" with "especially with fwends" ok?

10 means perfect. Not "good fun." I mean, I find two worlds fun. I find Bioshock fun. I find Beautiful Katamari fun. I found wii bowling fun. But under no circumstances are any of them 10/10 games.

People that review games for internet or for magazines are supposed to be objective, and offer a comprehensive review- unless it's a website specifically for one genre, it should review a game based solely on objective terms. Not "OMG THIS GAME IS SO MUCH FUN!" But actually take things like controls, camera angles, and overall polished-ness of the game into consideration. A game that's released before major bugs are cleared out shouldn't get a 10 out of 10. Especially considering Rockstar had the same freezing issues with their last release, just a little over a month ago! Bully was unplayable for me- and many others- because of the same issues that seem to be plaguing GTA4 on a smaller scale.

Sorry, but regardless of how much fun it is to go to strip clubs, pick up hookers and shoot people, this game is not- I repeat NOT a 10. And for someone who got it only for online multiplayer mode to be surprised that they had no loading time- that's lolable. If there WAS loading time, you'd be dead, wouldn't you. Online mode is only one facet- one SMALL SMALL facet of this game, and while it is not in any way perfect, even if it was, that alone would not be enough to give this game a 10/10. It's an 8.5 at BEST.

PSOLaguna
May 1, 2008, 01:16 AM
On 2008-04-30 09:56, Saner wrote:
the aiming system is
phenomenol,

The aiming system is for inexperienced players. The majority of people I play with online hate the aiming system and play with it turned off.

Nitro Vordex
May 1, 2008, 01:38 AM
On 2008-04-30 23:16, PSOLaguna wrote:

the aiming system is
phenomenol,

The aiming system is for inexperienced players.
And people that can't look up words either.
"Phenominal"

Vitamin_D
May 1, 2008, 04:08 PM
On 2008-04-30 23:38, Nitro_Vordex wrote:

On 2008-04-30 23:16, PSOLaguna wrote:

the aiming system is
phenomenol,

The aiming system is for inexperienced players.
And people that can't look up words either.
"Phenominal"

... You spelled it wrong too >_>.

Weeaboolits
May 1, 2008, 04:27 PM
10.0 rating systems are pretty stupid I think (also why 10.0? a scale to 100 with no decimals would be the same thing), it doesn't make much sense to be that precise on an opinion. A five point scale is better I think, all I would care about is Really Good, Good, OK, Bad, Really Bad.

Also I don't think I've ever looked at an IGN rating ever, so this means little to me.

I liked Nintendo Power's system where they have multiple reviewers and listed at the beginning of the section is a guide to what kind of games each reviewer prefers, so you know which one to actually listen to.

ABDUR101
May 1, 2008, 04:30 PM
'phenomenal' God Damnit. >=|

Also, my nephews ordered the special uber collector's edition of the game, so I'll mess around with it this weekend just to see how 'totally uber insanely supah kawaii awesum' it is, and then see how much it fails miserably at keeping my attention after the initial 'lol' factor wears off.

I think NPCMook is going to be spot on, its a fun time waster...until you tire of its trivial nature and realise that you could have been having more fun in other games that have lasting appeal with on-going content. I find that it doesn't matter how many friends you have to play a game with, if all you're doing is running around doing the same shit over, it doesn't matter how big and beautiful the city is, you can only pew-pew and bang-bang so many times before its boring.

Darkly
May 1, 2008, 04:55 PM
just to chime in Abdur, free roam is something you always wanted to do in a game lik gta, but it does have a good selection of well thought out games too.

I've never been into gta games much myself, but the bang bang pew pew comment doesn't apply too much to the other modes. But your obviously entitled to think different its just there is a lot of indepth gameplay and less hurrr durrr this time around.

Raine_Loire
May 1, 2008, 11:18 PM
I can't even really free roam unless I ignore the calls for story stuff, which sucks, because I keep getting thumbs down from callers, lol.

Seriously, the only thing this game sucessfully does better than the last is push the line between M and AO. This game is a game I have to play when my son is asleep, because the sex is so graphic, and the noises are as well.

Mewnie
May 4, 2008, 01:46 AM
On 2008-04-27 18:38, ABDUR101 wrote:
I don't think anyone is saying its going to be a sucky game; my qualm was comparing GTA IV to the heights of a MMO, which Saner has done in afew topics already. He has a tendency to overly embellish things and twist genres appearently.

Wait for it.

comparing GTA IV to the heights of a MMO

Waaaiiiit.

the heights of a MMO

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y46/MagpieMouse/MewnPSU/awesome2gif.png

ABDUR101
May 4, 2008, 10:54 AM
Sadly, that face equals the 'heights of an MMO', though it also reminds me of the face Saner might make if I could see him making a topic. =[

Shiro_Ryuu
May 4, 2008, 12:36 PM
Meh, it may be fun for a while to kill innocent people for no reason like a gangsta for a few minutes, but it's definitely not in the top of my wants list. I'd rather save money for Soul Calibur 4 and the new Guitar Hero.

Mewnie
May 4, 2008, 02:48 PM
On 2008-05-04 08:54, ABDUR101 wrote:
Sadly, that face equals the 'heights of an MMO', though it also reminds me of the face Saner might make if I could see him making a topic. =[

Oh, I know. I wonder if Saner is employed in the 'games journalism-publisher hype complex'.

It seems like he's drank the Kool-Aid.

Split
May 4, 2008, 09:21 PM
Saner says not everyone will be playing it for the "meanie criminal aspects," but I don't really think you can get a bunch of players together to play darts or bowling or tv go to a comedy show in the multiplayer. I don't have the game, though, and I would love to be proven wrong, because that would be awesome

Raine_Loire
May 5, 2008, 12:56 AM
no, the minigames aren't multiplayer. they're also seriously flawed.

Really? Saner's a dood????? NFW... I'd say 12 year old girl.

ABDUR101
May 5, 2008, 11:22 AM
On 2008-05-04 22:56, Raine_Loire wrote:
Really? Saner's a dood????? NFW... I'd say 12 year old girl.

I've run into quite afew odd ones in my time, and to be honest, afew of the odder ones were older than me and guys. They typed and acted like twelve year old japanese schoolgirls, very overboard with emotes and over-zealous with opinions on simple matters; but in the end it made sense that they were older guys, because they were so over the top.

granis1233
May 5, 2008, 11:32 AM
i can say im not a fan of GTA but i play it just to kill time.

Mewnie
May 5, 2008, 09:55 PM
It's a fun diversion. Sandboxy games can be hard to keep playing if there's no real goal in sight.

I want to try GTA4 though.. maybe when it comes to PC.