PDA

View Full Version : Worst music/soundtracks in games

Sexy_Raine
Apr 27, 2008, 08:29 PM
Same as my other topic except this time it's for the worst music http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

My picks

Marvel vs. Capcom 2, oh God why? Considering it's popularity, it has one of the worst soundtracks ever made. "Gonna take you for a ride" is just to torture you for taking too long at the character select screen. Click if you dare (http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=l9CPdvXz5fY&feature=related)

Burnout 3, awesome racer, awful music. Plain and simple

Most of EA's sports games

Tekken Tag Tournament, there was maybe like 2 themes that were decent, the rest sucked. "No eye, no ear, no nose" was the worst.

Devil May Cry 3, crappy Metal which didn't make the intense action feel like it should.

DK rap from Super smash bros. Melee., glad Nintendo listened to their fans and didn't put it in Brawl.

Dance Dance Revolution. I know it made my favorite music list. but it also gets put on my worst. Why? Most of the NA Licensed songs in the Console versions were garbage. No one wants to hear crap like "Oops I did it again" or "YMCA" XP

Most of the music from the NES days, some however were actual good.

Added: Grandia 3, not that it's just bad, most of it it felt so lifeless. It didn't do anything for the game. Some of the battle music did suck of course.

That's all I have for now. Post what yous think is the worst.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sexy_Raine on 2008-04-27 19:24 ]</font>

AlexCraig
Apr 27, 2008, 08:36 PM
Disgaea 2: I only like two songs in that game, the rest is painful and monotonous.
Sword of Mana: Again, a few songs I like, but really, a lot of it is meh.
Summon Knights: Ick.

Syl
Apr 27, 2008, 08:37 PM
On 2008-04-27 18:29, Sexy_Raine wrote:
Marvel vs. Capcom 2, oh God why? Considering it's popularity, it has one of the worst soundtracks ever made. "Gonna take you for a ride" is just to torture you at the character select screen.

Burnout 3, awesome racer, awful music. Plain and simple

Storm's constant AHHH AAAAAAAAHH AHHHH AAAAAAAAAH AHH AHH pissed me off more than anything else in that game actually.

And Burnout 3 was easily solvable on the Xbox version, custom songs ftw!

But to contribute to the thread... uh. Hm, that's actually kind of hard. I'll think of something later :/

Leviathan
Apr 27, 2008, 08:45 PM
Most games where it's EA made.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Leviatha on 2008-04-27 18:53 ]</font>

Saner
Apr 27, 2008, 08:53 PM
Marvel vs. Capcom 2. nuff said. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Jife_Jifremok
Apr 27, 2008, 08:59 PM
Chrono Cross. Yeah, it had some really good music, but the battle theme is the most AWFUL I've ever heard in an RPG.

Donkey Konga. Basically a bongo-fied version of Namco's Taiko no Tatsujin, but with an even WORSE US soundtrack, where even Nintendo classics got butchered! (hell, the US Taiko Drum Master at least had Namco originals not getting destroyed...) Includes such songs as Happy Birthday and..uh, I forget what else and I aint gonna find out again.

Shinobi (PS2). I only played a demo of the first level, but holy shit was that music just horrid. The sound of whatever the hell instrument they used made the melody drown itself out or SOMETHING, and would liekly destroy even the best melodies. It made Chrono Cross battle theme sound like a friggin masterpiece!

Rez. So they made gameplay and music go hand-in-hand in sync like no other game has done before, to make a truly unique experience...and for what, just a buncha bleeps, bloops, countdowns and "AAAAH!" vocal things? Please tell me I'm not remembering this right or something, cause all I remember is the same shit over and over until powering up or getting hit (and thus powering down). I also remember a bland gameplay experience that couldn't come close to a Panzer Dragoon or a Star Fox, but that isn't what this thread is about.

Sonic and the Secret Rings. The title theme is fucking horrible, you hear it way too often, and it's disgraced the Brawl soundtrack. If you thought Sonic Heroes was bad, you aint seen shit. Then again, since I only played Secret Rings and not the rest of the craptastic post-Dreamcast Sonic lineup, maybe *I* aint seen shit. The music itself is bad, and the lyrics are laughable. Who's gonna rock the place...(place)...(place)? Not Sonic, that's for DAMN sure.

Steambot Chronicles. UGH. If only the main story (which makes you do stuff before TRULY letting you sandbox it up) didn't make you perform for those dull Garland Globetrotters and their horribly boring singer! One sidequest has you helping someone make an electric guitar so you can rock out with him but that turns out even WORSE! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUlATJ-bHIE)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jife_Jifremok on 2008-04-27 19:33 ]</font>

Monochrome
Apr 27, 2008, 09:56 PM
Gran Turismo 3 -- I seriously have all songs turned off except the punk version of "99 Luftballoons" or redballoons, whichever it was..

Any late-90's PSX game that had "Dragula" in it -- 'nuff said..

AlexCraig
Apr 27, 2008, 10:03 PM
Oh, I wasn't much for the music in Legend of Dragoon either. Forgot to put that in there.

Shadowpawn
Apr 27, 2008, 10:33 PM
MvC2 soundtrack > j00. I love its cheesy tunes.

Nitro Vordex
Apr 27, 2008, 10:41 PM
On 2008-04-27 20:33, Shadowpawn wrote:
MvC2 soundtrack > j00. I love its cheesy tunes.

QFT

The Halo music in my opinion, was subpar. Just more orchrastrated(sp?) music.
Of course, I'm not a rabid Halo fan either. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Sord
Apr 27, 2008, 10:42 PM
DOA extreme beach volleyball http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Monochrome
Apr 27, 2008, 11:29 PM
On 2008-04-27 20:42, Sord wrote:
DOA extreme beach volleyball http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

thought about listing this one too, but it actually seems to go with the tone of the game. Plus you can do custom soundtracks in this one so... in the end you only have yourself to blame if you choose to endure the pop-ness of it all.

Personally I added "Who Let the Dogs Out" to the DOAX playlist, seemed to fit

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Monochrome on 2008-04-27 21:31 ]</font>

Toadthroat
Apr 27, 2008, 11:37 PM
Xenosaga 2
Devil May Cry
FFVII: Crisis Core
Advent Rising

Freeze
Apr 27, 2008, 11:42 PM
SonicR, Those who have never played or heard it, consider yourself lucky.

Phantasy Star Universe, Thank goodness for ripped music to the hard drive.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Freeze on 2008-04-27 21:45 ]</font>

Frana
Apr 28, 2008, 12:08 AM
On 2008-04-27 18:59, Jife_Jifremok wrote:

Steambot Chronicles. UGH. If only the main story (which makes you do stuff before TRULY letting you sandbox it up) didn't make you perform for those dull Garland Globetrotters and their horribly boring singer! One sidequest has you helping someone make an electric guitar so you can rock out with him but that turns out even WORSE! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUlATJ-bHIE)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jife_Jifremok on 2008-04-27 19:33 ]</font>

*Cringes at music revolution*

Xenosaga, look, I don't care it was done by the London Philharmonic Orchestra, that damn music that plays during every battle doesn't fit well.

Need for Speed Most Wanted. The only song I like in that game was Decadence, but it was made by EA, so I guess that is allready covered...

Enthusia. I liked the smooth-jazz, when I was trying to fall asleep, while driving, not a very good idea.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Frana on 2008-04-27 22:11 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Frana on 2008-04-27 22:15 ]</font>

Zorafim
Apr 28, 2008, 12:16 AM
Off the top of my head...

Sonic Rush. I don't care how "unique" or "original" it is. I'm a musician, I want to listen to music. Yes, that soundtrack qualifies as music, but I'd rather hear something perfected than something new.

And, yeah, PSU. There are a few great songs in the track, but you never get to hear them. The stuff that actually matters is thrown in your face, day after day, until you can't stand it anymore.

That's all I can think of, actually. Considering how much I pay attention to a game's songs, you'd think I'd have more gripes with them... But I actually like alot of the game music I hear.

Nitro Vordex
Apr 28, 2008, 12:18 AM
I'd have to disagree partially on Sonic Rush. Some of the songs, yes, they're annoying. The others, I rather liked, especially the final boss fight with all of the chaos emeralds.(Wrapped in Black)

Off topic: What kind of musician are you Zorafim?

Syl
Apr 28, 2008, 12:34 AM
Devil May Cry 3, crappy Metal which didn't make the intense action feel like it should.

Lies!

Seriously, I felt the music was pretty intense. Maybe you have to be a fan of "metal" to like it. I dunno, but it's really a good OST for the whole series, especially the little songs for the offering statues.

Frana
Apr 28, 2008, 12:37 AM
On 2008-04-27 22:34, SylviaEspada wrote:

Lies!

Seriously, I felt the music was pretty intense. Maybe you have to be a fan of "metal" to like it. I dunno, but it's really a good OST for the whole series, especially the little songs for the offering statues.

I like dit, I just wished there was more variety to it, other than them just remixing the same song...(The one where you're fighting Cerberus is the best IMO)

Raine_Loire
Apr 28, 2008, 12:44 AM
PSU and Steambot Chronicles. Both put me to sleep.

Weeaboolits
Apr 28, 2008, 01:02 AM
Aggressive Inline, soley for that GOD DAMNED MENU THEME, now that I thought about it, it's stuck in my head too.

...dammit. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

Toadthroat
Apr 28, 2008, 03:46 AM
On 2008-04-27 21:42, Freeze wrote:
SonicR, Those who have never played or heard it, consider yourself lucky.

Oh what!? C'mon that soundtrack is wonderful.
It might be cheesy and corny but its cheesy in a good way, like 80s cartoons or certain animes.

Or maybe I'm just blinded by nostalgia.

Nai_Calus
Apr 28, 2008, 07:04 AM
Phantasy Star Universe, no contest. >_>

Eihwaz
Apr 28, 2008, 07:09 AM
I can't think of any particular games where the entire soundtrack made me bleed out of my ears, but the overworld music from Tales of Symphonia was utterly horrifying. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

Frana
Apr 28, 2008, 07:43 AM
On 2008-04-28 05:09, Eihwaz wrote:
I can't think of any particular games where the entire soundtrack made me bleed out of my ears, but the overworld music from Tales of Symphonia was utterly horrifying. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

It was horrible. Now, the battle theme in Sylverant might make up for that, I loved that one.

Monochrome
Apr 28, 2008, 10:03 PM
Oh yeah, and Ferrari F355 Challenge. Usually, I'm down for any non-licensed rock soundtrack in a game, but...uh big pass here.

Weeaboolits
Apr 29, 2008, 12:09 AM
On 2008-04-28 01:46, Toadthroat wrote:

On 2008-04-27 21:42, Freeze wrote:
SonicR, Those who have never played or heard it, consider yourself lucky.Oh what!? C'mon that soundtrack is wonderful.
It might be cheesy and corny but its cheesy in a good way, like 80s cartoons or certain animes.

Or maybe I'm just blinded by nostalgia.I rather liked it as well.

Zorafim
Apr 29, 2008, 01:11 AM
On 2008-04-27 22:18, Nitro_Vordex wrote:
Off topic: What kind of musician are you Zorafim?

A genetic musician. Mah Mamma got her associates in it, mah Pahpa got his doctorate in it. I sort of picked up on it fairly quickly after that.
Nothing beats a childhood where you get a philharmonic double bass solo in your living room every night, by the way.

Powder Keg
Apr 29, 2008, 02:25 AM
Tales of Legendia. Ok, maybe the tracks themselves weren't totally horrible, but the fact that the GAME ONLY HAD ABOUT 7 MUSIC TRACKS IN IT ALL TOGETHER really drove me insane.

Suikoden 3. Worst of the series, and a pretty crappy soundtrack to go along with it.

Any sports game nowadays is horrible due to it's whiny emo or shitty rap music.

granis1233
Apr 29, 2008, 11:27 AM
the boss theme for breath of fire 3 that relly made me mad.

Kanju
Apr 30, 2008, 03:34 PM
The World Ends With You, although the soundtrack fits with the game.

Just about ANY Capcom vs. game. Especially Capcom vs. SNK 2.

Kingdom Hearts 2, but that goes specifically for the first song in the Atlantica minigame.

Xenosaga: Episode I, not counting the last boss music(mostly for being a refreshment from the the other TWO tracks played throughout the whole game).

Xenosaga: Episode II. Most of the tracks in the game felt too unfitting for the game's themes.

Chronicles of the Sword(not the Soul Calibur III minigame). ONE track plays throughout the WHOLE GAME, and it's so AWUFL that merely recalling it is making me unable to spell "awufl" correctly.

Mention goes to Daytona USA, but "Sky High" (Blue, Blue Sky) is just so cheesily good.

By the way, the DK rap is in Brawl.

Kylie
Apr 30, 2008, 07:13 PM
I guess most soundtracks don't bother me, but the only theme I can recall right this moment is the HIVE music in PSU. I don't really mind it as much as some people though.

Jaspaller
Apr 30, 2008, 07:22 PM
I really disliked most of the music in MGS:TS (the MGS1 remake for GCN). There was maybe a few tracks on there that I liked but it was just terrible compared to music from the other MGS games.

GreenArcher
May 1, 2008, 07:37 PM
SSOOONNNICCCC HEEEEROOOOOOESSSSSSS

Weeaboolits
May 1, 2008, 09:02 PM
On 2008-04-30 13:34, Kanju wrote:
Kingdom Hearts 2, but that goes specifically for the first song in the Atlantica minigame.The atlantica area sucked, the only reason to go there at all was for the last Orichalcum+.