PDA

View Full Version : A distinct lack of GOOD high level shot weapons?

Elusive_Llama
Jan 21, 2003, 12:06 PM
Seeing that Ruby Bullets are supposed to be handguns (not shotguns as described on PSOW database), Yasminkov 7000vs don't hit multiple targets, and Spread Needles are a bit weak and lacking in range despite their ultra fast rate of fire, what does that leave for rangers aspiring to Ultimate?

Meteor Smash/Final Impact? A bit too weak.

Baranz Launcher? Seen it in action. Missiles are a bit slow compared to energy shots, and tend to miss. Powerful though.

Dark Meteor? Not comboable despite its power.

Somebody please shed light on this? Thanks.

EDarkness
Jan 21, 2003, 12:21 PM
You know, I'm wondering the same thing. I'm currently using a Final Impact with decent %s, but I want to upgrade. I was leaning towards the Yasminkov, but to hear that it only hits one target, that kinda blows. How can it be considered a shotgun if it only hits one target? So I guess that now makes me wonder what do I upgrade to? Am I stuck with a Final Impact for the rest of my days? Damn, hearing that about the Yasminkov shotgun kinda bums me out.

-EDarkness

MajinSSJVegetto
Jan 21, 2003, 12:38 PM
It isn't considered a shotgun, it just looks like one so PSOworld decided to label it a shotgun.
They also label Frozen Shooter and Ruby Bullet shotguns... a rifle and a pistol...
They also have Yasm 3000R listed to have +171 ata, a bit much.

Jae
Jan 21, 2003, 12:44 PM
1) The Yas7000 is a rifle, but ACTS like a shotgun. Have you noticed the insane autotarget on that thing? It works pretty well to keep a slow moving group of enemies away. It's not a shotgun, but oh well.

2) Seeing the Ruby Bullet for the first time was a huge disappointment for me. I really was looking forward to a powerful shotgun... *cough* FIX THE DATABASE! ^ ^

3) Spread needle isn't bad actually. It's weak, but it's accurate paralyze special makes it especially useful for team play. Granted you're not going to kill a whole lot with it, but it makes you an asset to any team.

Unless there's some super shotgun that we don't know about, I'd say POW mats are a Ranger's salvation. When I had my cheater (now deleted) lvl 70 RAmarl, I loaded her up with 100 POW mats and was doing more damage than RAmarls that were lvl 100+. That leaves 150 more mats for say... umm... more POWER? The potential for damage there was crazy. *sigh* Now I'm back at lvl 70 with a LEGIT RAmarl and yeah she sucks at killing things with her sorry Final Imapct. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Elusive_Llama
Jan 21, 2003, 01:33 PM
Jae, I forgot that the Ramarl had a 250 limit on materials other than hp/tp! I'm so used to that 150 limit on my Hunny. *evil laugh* I have only given her a couple materials so far as I was saving my power mats for my Hunny...looks like I'll be dumping all power mats on my ranger now! And I guess I'll be working up some kind of power mag too. Throw in a level 20 shifta/zalure and I'm set.

The Yasminkov 7000v IS a shotgun in the real world sense of the word. It's just shooting 1oz slugs instead of 00 buck. This makes sense because it has more range than a regular shot like Final Impact, but it doesn't shoot as far as a rifle. Keep in mind that its auto-target capability, fast rate of fire and high damage still make it an uber weapon. The Yasminkov 3000r catches up to it when both weapons are fully ground though. The only major difference between both weapons at that point would be in range and targeting ease.

The way I see it, Spread Needle is a team support weapon much like the Frozen Shooter. They're just not optimal for dealing out massive damage, but so what? ANY team with a ranger armed with either of these weapons (preferably the Frozen Shooter) can take on just about any amount of monsters without much fear.

My Ramarl has a Frozen Shooter and she joined a Vhard team which was struggling its way through Ruins. The chances of survival in that team went from approx. 75% to 95% when she used the Frozen Shooter special. How did I know this? Well, I piped up to restock and I watched as their HP bars dropped 1/2 - 3/4 as they foolishly ran off to kill stuff without me ;p.

She didn't deal the killing blow on many things, but she was a major asset to the team. Hunters who were getting smacked by Belras and stuff were now gleefully hacking away at the frozen monsters with impunity. You have no idea how useful that gun is until you've actually used one yourself http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

So what if it freezes her now and then? The ice wiggle trick, done with the palm of my hand instead of my thumb, gets me out of frozen status in about 1 second.

Oh well...I guess the Baranz Launcher would have to do as a high power shot. That thing has good range for a shotgun, and it's a charge weapon too. Throw a God/Battle in there and it should be pretty decent.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Elusive_Llama on 2003-01-21 10:39 ]</font>

eRUPT
Jan 21, 2003, 01:49 PM
You act as if I have time in my day to read every single post on this site. I generally get rather annoyed at reading lewd hints inside posts rather then people submitting errors to me. If you have time to complain you have time to submit errors to me.

Munki
Jan 21, 2003, 01:57 PM
lol. Honestly, I consider RAs to be more like versital support characters in Ult... kinda like a FO, but without the dependence on TP for everything.

If you can't have a FO with their s/d/j/z and Rabarta/Gibarta, a RA with a Spread or Frozen would be just as good. Well, maybe not quite as good from the support standpoint, but the RAs can support very nicely still...

The Shots keep monsters from surrounding melee-ing HUs..., the Frozen/Paralyze specials can be godsends... and the mar/marls spells can be an asset as well.

Besides... as a good friend once said about the Frozen Shooter;

"All we need is this Baby"

eRUPT
Jan 21, 2003, 01:59 PM
On 2003-01-21 09:38, MajinSSJVegetto wrote:
It isn't considered a shotgun, it just looks like one so PSOworld decided to label it a shotgun.
They also label Frozen Shooter and Ruby Bullet shotguns... a rifle and a pistol...
They also have Yasm 3000R listed to have +171 ata, a bit much.

Frozen Shooter has been listed as a photon launcher not a shotgun. Yasm 3000R thing was just a mixup putting the ATA Req in the ATA field. At least I caught you talking about it I guess. Next time try pm'm me about an error does me alot more good.

Munki
Jan 21, 2003, 02:02 PM
eRUPT -

If we do see errors, do we just PM you? Is that the process? I wasn't sure if there was a form or something hidden around.

I have found a couple errors in the db, which is why I asked.

Elusive_Llama
Jan 21, 2003, 02:06 PM
Munki, you make a very good point. I guess I'm just so used to playing a Hunny and being at the forefront of the battle.

eRUPT
Jan 21, 2003, 02:08 PM
Yes, I really don't mind getting PM's about errors I always fix things promptly when I KNOW about it. I just don't exactly have free time to spend all the time browsing the forums and looking for attacks on what mistakes I have made. If I have free time its workign on new guides, new features, new content, new contests, new events, oh god the list goes on.

Jae
Jan 21, 2003, 02:48 PM
*scratches head* eRUPT I hope you didn't take my playful jab as an 'attack' on yourself. Nobody (myself included) expects the database to be pristine and perfect since there are so many items/pages to manage there. But ahh well. If I find any more errors, I'll PM you.

Llama, make sure you balance out your mat usage. You don't want to overdo it and max out your ATP at level 100 do you? I just did that because well... I could. Now I'm looking to balance out my new RAmarl and make sure I get the most out of that 250 limit.

Baranz launcher eh? How slow is it compared to a regular shotgun? Is it the character animation or the missles? Either way, it sounds tasty.

Elusive_Llama
Jan 21, 2003, 06:21 PM
It's the missile speed which is the drawback to the Baranz Launcher. The character animations are fine - they're the same as that of a Final Impact. The missiles travel slower than the energy bolt from a Final Impact, which means they reach their target later.

Because the missiles travel in a straight line and do not deviate, they have a higher chance of missing moving enemies.

zerohoax
Jan 22, 2003, 02:30 AM
My vote reguardless would go to heavens punisher and spread needle

Elusive_Llama
Jan 22, 2003, 08:23 AM
Zero, do you know just how much the HP special does in Ultimate? I mean, is it a preset damage like everyone says it is, or is it scaled according to your MST?

Phebes
Jan 22, 2003, 09:36 AM
I don't know, I've always been happy with the regular weapons. I have a Hell Arms with a hit bonus of %50, and that does me just fine in Ult.

Most of my favorate weapons are the regular ones, now that I think about it, dispite still having a small collection of other things just because they look nice.

(Edit- Evil rampant comma!)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Phebes on 2003-01-22 06:36 ]</font>

zerohoax
Jan 22, 2003, 10:03 AM
On 2003-01-22 05:23, Elusive_Llama wrote:
Zero, do you know just how much the HP special does in Ultimate? I mean, is it a preset damage like everyone says it is, or is it scaled according to your MST?

Dont quote me on this but i dont think it has anything to do with MST because i used it (a racaseal) with someone else (a ramar) and he was only taking off 10 more HP than I was and i was a lower level than him. I'm only in vhard right now (level 70) and the special is taking of 280 on all boomas and sharks, havent played much mines or ruins, but it does have 30 to dark like im suspecting most are so that will help with its normal attack as far as the special, im not sure.

ADemiGod
Jan 22, 2003, 11:36 AM
Shot's r great guns but there weak i wish there was a strong shot gun but i have yet to find one so i stick wit a rifles class weapons like ano rifle
c bringers rifle.