PDA

View Full Version : Huge question.

Dangerous55
May 1, 2008, 10:47 PM
I am an idiot. I finished a paper at the school library. Meant to send it to myself through e-mail.

I forgot to do that. Arg.

I deleted it from the school computer.

Any possible way it can come back?

Zelutos
May 1, 2008, 10:48 PM
only if it's sitting in the recycling bin on the computer. otherwise, once something is deleted, as far as i know, it's gone forever.

Dangerous55
May 1, 2008, 10:49 PM
It ain't in the bin.

McLaughlin
May 1, 2008, 10:51 PM
Then thou be borkithed.

Dangerous55
May 1, 2008, 10:53 PM
.................................................. .............................................
.................................................. .............................................

McLaughlin
May 1, 2008, 10:54 PM
Why'd you delete it?

Dangerous55
May 1, 2008, 10:55 PM
Because it is a school computer and I didn't want anyone to read it. Or steal it.

Ketchup345
May 1, 2008, 11:01 PM
It can be recovered for a cost probably (unless it was written over several times or the drive destroyed), but it probably wouldn't be something your school would do.
Best bet would be to save everything to the HD and to a flashdrive (unless you and the school still use floppies). And use e-mail as another layer. (I should start following this advice too)

Obsidian: Some schools don't let you save on their computers, or if they do, not let it be permanent. Some schools (like mine for at least some computers) either reformat or erase anything saved every day.

Sinue_v2
May 1, 2008, 11:02 PM
Isn't that what they make flash drives for?

Dangerous55
May 1, 2008, 11:04 PM
I graduate in like a week, I made it this far doing it. Oh well, I'll pay the price.

It was short, but it was good.

Sigh.

VioletSkye
May 1, 2008, 11:29 PM
I've got some professional software for recovering files (even from drives that have been reformatted and re-partitioned several times) but it's extremely pricey. There are TONS of free utilities though and one I'm familiar with is:
http://undelete-plus.com/

Dangerous55
May 1, 2008, 11:58 PM
Well I am e-mailing the library and tech people. Hopefully they all aren't as dumb as I sterotype them to be.

The one librarian is very cute though.

TalHex
May 2, 2008, 08:19 AM
don't worry they are, the football jocks at my school are better at fixing computers then our tech support guy (i'm not exaggerating) http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Dangerous55
May 2, 2008, 12:24 PM
On 2008-05-02 06:19, TalonKitsune wrote:
don't worry they are, the football jocks at my school are better at fixing computers then our tech support guy (i'm not exaggerating) http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Well this is a college trying to be a University. Maybe, just maybe, they know something.

Anduril
May 2, 2008, 12:31 PM
I know I would probably end up doing something like this, that's why I back everything up to 2 different flash drives. I"m sure if it is a college campus the tech people should at least remotely know what they are doing.

McLaughlin
May 2, 2008, 02:02 PM
On 2008-05-01 21:01, Ketchup345 wrote:
Obsidian: Some schools don't let you save on their computers, or if they do, not let it be permanent. Some schools (like mine for at least some computers) either reformat or erase anything saved every day.

My school erases everything at the start of each school year, but that's it. If they deleted everything every day I'd need a 10 gig memory stick.