PDA

View Full Version : UBUNTU

ngagerebel
May 8, 2008, 12:39 PM
Anyone here a linux pro? Im starting to learn linux and im loving it, especially Ubuntu. Linspire sucks ass.

anyway, so I figure out how to install programs manually with out using the package installer program. but now I dont know how to Uninstall them... any help would be hot. for clarification, i installed transgaming cedega.... piece of crap program....

rogue_robot
May 8, 2008, 01:10 PM
Heh, Ubuntu user here myself. Wouldn't call myself anything near a pro (few people are, and anyone who starts randomly bashing Windows has already proven they aren't), but I do have to use Linux systems regularly for classwork, so I kind of know my way around...

If the program was installed by Synaptic, you remove it through Synaptic. If it was through aptitude (apt-get), use some other aptitude command. If it was installed through a script that accompanied the program, look into the script to see if it has a uninstall command you can give it at command line.

If you manually installed it, or the "install script" it came from merely compiled it from source (you can use gedit or Kate to check the script's contents), it is usually safe to remove by hand (just go to the folder and delete it).

EDIT: Useful link for Ubuntu-related questions (and sometimes general Linux stuff, too): http://ubuntuforums.org/

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rogue_robot on 2008-05-08 11:11 ]</font>

SabZero
May 8, 2008, 01:13 PM
doesn't the make file or compile script have an uninstall option? It should.