PDA

View Full Version : Anti FSOD tactics.

Goldstix69
Jan 22, 2003, 04:32 AM
I'm not sure if this works because I haven't gotten FSOD(and hopefully never will). I found this somewhere and saved it. I'm now sharing it with psow. Please confirm if this works when you try it. thanx.

Someone posted a good piece of info for users Episode I & II that get the FSOD at certain times. It should keep your invintory intact after a FSOD, when your screen freezes, do the following:

1). Disconnect the phone cord from the Game Cube. Leave the power on & wait for about 20 seconds (the same amount of time it takes for the game to detect a lost connection & prompt you to press start).

2). After 20 seconds or so, power the system off. DO NOT RESET IT. (leave the cord disconnected).

3). Reconnect the cord while the power is off & then power the Game Cube back on.

If you do this correctly your un-equipped items should not get deleted at all. I've saved my inventory in every FSOD using this method & since the people I passed this on to told me it's been working for them.

Noco-Esmaj
Jan 22, 2003, 03:08 PM
Hmph, I haven't heard of that method. I'll try it out next time I get FSOD. Thanks GoldStix69.

Kune

Webapprentice
Jan 22, 2003, 03:36 PM
FSOD doesn't accept any input from the controller or the system, other than the power button. So, hitting reset does nothing anyway.

On 2003-01-22 01:32, Goldstix69 wrote:
I'm not sure if this works because I haven't gotten FSOD(and hopefully never will). I found this somewhere and saved it. I'm now sharing it with psow. Please confirm if this works when you try it. thanx.

Someone posted a good piece of info for users Episode I & II that get the FSOD at certain times. It should keep your invintory intact after a FSOD, when your screen freezes, do the following:

1). Disconnect the phone cord from the Game Cube. Leave the power on & wait for about 20 seconds (the same amount of time it takes for the game to detect a lost connection & prompt you to press start).

2). After 20 seconds or so, power the system off. DO NOT RESET IT. (leave the cord disconnected).

3). Reconnect the cord while the power is off & then power the Game Cube back on.

If you do this correctly your un-equipped items should not get deleted at all. I've saved my inventory in every FSOD using this method & since the people I passed this on to told me it's been working for them.

_cAbLe_
Jan 22, 2003, 05:42 PM
Pulling the internet connection is the best trick. I was stuck for about 5 mins looking at the lobby and nothing would respond or happen. I pulled the ethernet cable and 5 secs later the connection dropped and I was back at the start menu. Nothing lost either. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

GaijinPUnch
Jan 22, 2003, 07:36 PM
This happened to a buddy, and apparantly works (the cable-pulling trick).

Another trick that works is put your unequipped items in the bank before you leave the room. I'll never forget to do that. Wish I knew that when I had my 30% hit Red Sword unequipped though. DOH!

Webapprentice
Jan 22, 2003, 08:13 PM
It sounds as if this trick only works on a broadband connection. I'm on a modem, so does it still apply?

Goldstix69
Jan 22, 2003, 09:01 PM
From what I read from the page that I found this it is suppose to work for BBA and Dial-up. When the game notices that there is no longer a connection it prompts with something about the internet connection was lost press start. Something like that at least.
Another thing I do is I just keep it set to disconnect after 10 min. I'm usually never gone for more than that when playing and if I know that I will be I use my wavebird controller. I turn it of, then move the analog stick a little, then turn it back on. My character will just run in circles.. but the game is getting a signal so it won't dissconect me.

SadRomeo
Jan 22, 2003, 09:13 PM
Hey Goldstix,

Good information you found there. Thanks for the tip.

SadRomeo

thewiredknight
Jan 22, 2003, 11:08 PM
Removing thepowercord from my GC worked for me.

Elusive_Llama
Jan 22, 2003, 11:10 PM
*prints it out and keeps the sheet next to Gamecube*

TeK-DEL0REAN
Jan 23, 2003, 12:27 AM
There are different kinds of FSODs. This is my experience with FSODs, keep in mind i have a modem adapter, not BBA.

buzzing FSOD: screen freezes (not black) and there is an annoying buzzing sound. this has happened to me while returning to a lobby from a game, switching lobbies, and in the middle of a ruins run. This has not happened to me while joining a game. NO BUTTONS ON THE CONTROLLER WORK. You cannot soft reset with the controller, and the reset button on the GCube does nothing. Disconnecting the modem or pulling the phone line does nothing. You have to hit the power button.

Black screen of death (BSOD): Sreen turns black, there is no sound. I dont know if soft reset works here. This happened only once to me so i dont remember the details, I just hit power.

Weak FSOD: Screen freezes but you can still hear music. This has only happened to me once while entering a lobby after connecting to the internet. the view stayed in that overhead view. (where you select a ship) I dont know if soft reset (with controller) works, I am assuming it does. I pulled the phone cord and the game autosaved for me and i lost no items.

Other notes:
soft reset = hold x+b+start. I could be wrong someone correct me on this.
-If you get a buzzing fsod BEFORE you join a game you WILL NOT lose items, contrary to what the game tells you at character selection screen. I could be wrong, but this has been my experience with the game.

Anyone with other info on fsods please share. Personally i bank my items before leaving but there is no escape from a random fsod while you are fighting.

Webapprentice
Jan 23, 2003, 12:04 PM
On 2003-01-22 21:27, TeK-DEL0REAN wrote:
buzzing FSOD: screen freezes (not black) and there is an annoying buzzing sound. this has happened to me while returning to a lobby from a game, switching lobbies, and in the middle of a ruins run. This has not happened to me while joining a game. NO BUTTONS ON THE CONTROLLER WORK. You cannot soft reset with the controller, and the reset button on the GCube does nothing. Disconnecting the modem or pulling the phone line does nothing. You have to hit the power button.

Other notes:
-If you get a buzzing fsod BEFORE you join a game you WILL NOT lose items, contrary to what the game tells you at character selection screen. I could be wrong, but this has been my experience with the game.

I think for a dial-up user, a buzzing FSOD is fatal. You're forced to hit the power button. As stated by TeK-DEL0REAN, if you have not joined a game in your online session, items you're carrying that are not equipped ramin intact. Some person mentioned that this was designed as an anti-cheating measure. Once you join a game and leave the game safely, you are now vulnerable to item loss, since the system now sees that you have joined a game in your session.

_cAbLe_
Jan 23, 2003, 01:24 PM
On 2003-01-22 17:13, Webapprentice wrote:
It sounds as if this trick only works on a broadband connection. I'm on a modem, so does it still apply?

Modems generally have a longer timeout period than ethernet devices. Should work but may take longer.

Annoy
Jan 23, 2003, 01:31 PM
Huh...the few times I FSODd I was able to do a soft reset...maybe it was really bad lag (but how could I explain the really obnoxious buzzing sound?)...but anyway...I FSODd last night...and I had seen something about pulling the connection cable out a few weeks back. It works....as soon as it detected a disconnected cable...it saved me and brought me back to the front screen...turned the cube off and stuck the cord back in then resumed playing....glad it worked...I forgot to put my Opa-Opa mag back...and it's a cool mag...has 173 Mind for my brother's force...so yeah http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Annoy on 2003-01-23 10:32 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Annoy on 2003-01-23 10:36 ]</font>

Annoy
Jan 23, 2003, 01:34 PM
Other notes:

Soft reset is actually... A+B+X+Y+L+R+Z and start all at the same time...it's really hard for me to do...it usually takes me like 5 tries to get it...I can hit all the buttons except Z...so I press that button with my nose http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_dead.gif

Noir
Jan 23, 2003, 01:35 PM
On 2003-01-22 16:36, GaijinPUnch wrote:
This happened to a buddy, and apparantly works (the cable-pulling trick).

Another trick that works is put your unequipped items in the bank before you leave the room. I'll never forget to do that. Wish I knew that when I had my 30% hit Red Sword unequipped though. DOH!

This seems like a sure way to prevent any items from being lost. Unfortunately, it does seem tedious... but I guess you're ensuring that x number of hours investmented in getting that Red Sword won't be in vain.

Ian D
Jan 23, 2003, 01:42 PM
On 2003-01-23 10:34, Annoy wrote:

Other notes:

Soft reset is actually... A+B+X+Y+L+R+Z and start all at the same time...it's really hard for me to do...it usually takes me like 5 tries to get it...I can hit all the buttons except Z...so I press that button with my nose http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_dead.gif

Heh, I know how that is. The few times I've had to do that I just hugged my entire controller and shifted my arms around until it worked.

Goldstix69
Jan 23, 2003, 02:02 PM
On 2003-01-23 10:34, Annoy wrote:

Other notes:

No actually Annoy had it right.. The soft reset is

HOLD (X+B+Start)

hold for a sec and it will do a soft reset. Look in the game manual if you don't believe me. It is on pg.5 at the very bottom.

TeK-DEL0REAN
Jan 23, 2003, 03:14 PM
yeah i knew it. lol you guys actually using your nose to soft reset?

Oedi
Jan 23, 2003, 03:50 PM
I've FSODed many times on GCN now (using dial-up), and have only been able to salvage my personal stock once and that was with the FSOD with music still in the background. When I get the FSOD (buzz) I disconnect and power off to no avail... everytime. I've only actually lost inventory once (that really meant anything to me) due to an FSOD, I now put my loose rares, etc. in storage before I leave an online game. I once waited over an hour for the GCN to disconnect and it never did, so I just turned the power off and lost my regular stock. With the different types of FSOD it's hard to tell what truly works. My loose stock is easily replaced with the Meseta that I've stored in storage.

Even with these techniques listed I'm still an advocate for putting stuff away before leaving an online game.

Good luck.
-Oedi

TeK-DEL0REAN
Jan 23, 2003, 06:13 PM
yeah, if you get an in-game fsod you are screwed tho. I've heard horror stories of FSODing during a trade. [!]

TeK-DEL0REAN
Jan 25, 2003, 05:42 AM
bump. hey this is important.

Gazebo
Jan 25, 2003, 05:55 AM
I rarely FSOD when I have nothing in my inventory. Its sort of like my anti-fsod...

CajunSamurai
Jan 25, 2003, 07:23 AM
buzzing FSOD: screen freezes (not black) and there is an annoying buzzing sound. this has happened to me while returning to a lobby from a game, switching lobbies, and in the middle of a ruins run. This has not happened to me while joining a game. NO BUTTONS ON THE CONTROLLER WORK. You cannot soft reset with the controller, and the reset button on the GCube does nothing. Disconnecting the modem or pulling the phone line does nothing. You have to hit the power button.Bam, that's what got me tonight. Basically, the game locks up COMPLETELY when this happens. It's the equivalent of "blue screen of death" on Windows PCs: You're forced to reset, if you don't like it then tough. It's a mean son of a bitch. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

The other forms have never caused much damage to me... I've been able to escape BSOD as well before. Let's just hope "reset screen of death" never happens on GCN. THAT sucks.