PDA

View Full Version : I really don't think I'm a gamer anymore...

Frana
May 10, 2008, 05:10 PM
Seriously, I just can't have fun playing games for more than an hour or so anymore. I mean, yeah, I'll play when I'm with friends, but I really just can'yt have fun anymore. Is this just a phase, or is it safe to say I'm retired?

ulyoth
May 10, 2008, 05:19 PM
I get like that sometimes, i just go to bed early for a few days.

SStrikerR
May 10, 2008, 05:20 PM
Sometimes I feel like this, and it's just because none of my games excite me anymore. So I buy a new one. But if it's like that with all games, then i'd say take a break for a while.

VioletSkye
May 10, 2008, 05:24 PM
I hit that mark quite awhile ago. When I was younger (and had more free time) I spent a TON of my time gaming, but these days I hardly ever play anything. Last thing I spent time on was Bioshock and that was months ago and my kids are the only ones that touch the Wii anymore lol.

Frana
May 10, 2008, 05:33 PM
The sad thing is, my girlfriend plays way more than me anymore...Take a break you say, that might be nice. (Not from my girlfriend , the games. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif )

IDK, another thing that's bothering me is none of the newer games that are coming out seem interesting...

Aisha_Clan-Clan
May 10, 2008, 05:34 PM
I take breaks from games too. A few months off works for me.

Edit: A break from one, and on to another for a bit.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Aisha_Clan-Clan on 2008-05-10 15:35 ]</font>

AlexCraig
May 10, 2008, 06:55 PM
I don't play video games as much these days. Pasrtly because my brother overhauls on them.

Sinue_v2
May 10, 2008, 08:12 PM
I was like that for awhile coming out of the Playstation era. Towards the end I really didn't want to have much to do with videogames at all. Then the Dreamcast hit and got me thoroughly hooked again. Sadly, the Dreamcast died and Sega has kinda been circling the drain. I find it harder to get back into games these days, aside from the one-off ocassional title which really gets me hooked (like Oblivion). I don't think I've touched my 360 in over a month.

astuarlen
May 10, 2008, 08:14 PM
Same here. It's weird, 'cause in gradeschool, junior high, and high school, I played a fair amount of games, read EGM and PC Gamer and such. I wasn't a serious gamer by any stretch, but my friends didn't really play at all 'cept for some multiplayer Goldeneye or SSB in the N64 days. Now, while I wouldn't consider my friends "gamers", they play much more than I do (which is pretty much never). In fact, I've touched a Wii controller exactly once and have never laid eyes upon an XB360 or PS3. Much as I feel nostalgic about fun times past, I can't get past the feeling that playing is about the least productive thing I could do with myself. I managed to sink a couple weeks into Oblivion last summer before I had to quit after admitting it wasn't adding any pleasure or value to my life. Ach.

By the way, I should note that I'm not knocking gaming in general. I'm actually kind of jealous of folks who enjoy it, because it just makes me bored and/or guilty these days!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: astuarlen on 2008-05-10 18:18 ]</font>

Retehi
May 10, 2008, 09:17 PM
My last real console was a Gamecube, even then I only gained about 5 games on it till I had to get rid of it. I only have 2 now surviving (Medal of Honor and SSBM).

I just do UT2k4 now, but only because my friend and I make our models for it (soon maps). Any other free time goes to other important matters.

BlaizeYES
May 10, 2008, 09:42 PM
i think its the same with alot of people as you grow up. it's like watching movies, or sitcoms... when you're busy, you never really think about games. when you're doing something else important, you're not really thinking about games. the games i used to enjoy way back when, i still enjoy them... but i don't really play any games except on the rare occasion. which upsets me, because i was known in my neighborhood as THE GAME GENIE when i was like 8-12 years old. when metal gear solid 4 comes out though, i'll probably play that, beat it,and then go back to not really thinking about video games for a long while. such is the circle of life

Powder Keg
May 10, 2008, 11:30 PM
A few years ago I went through this phase. I just did not have the same urge or excitement from video games like I used to. A while later it returned (I guess with epic games?)

ljkkjlcm9
May 11, 2008, 01:34 AM
I feel the same way about most games. Every once in awhile I find a gem that truly gets me addicted. "The World Ends With You" has done that recently, which I'm pleasantly surprised with. Originally I had little interest in it, but it has become one of my favorite games ever. There's nothing wrong with playing games in small doses though. And I too have far more fun with friends, hence my love for the Wii, Smash Bros, and Mario Kart.

THE JACKEL

Scrub
May 11, 2008, 02:45 AM
I basically just sit around in front of my computer all day, but I devote most of my time to mindlessly trolling forums and talking with my eFriends compared to how much I play video games.

I still play like 5 hours a day but it used to be like 10 minimum. maybe that'll change now that summer's around though.

The_Gio
May 11, 2008, 03:07 AM
I am also getting bored of games,and I wish I could take a break,but then id be even more bored by just laying on my bed and watching TV.I also just sit in front of my computer all day and end up posting. My brother makes fun of me for "growing up" since I havent really played a game that catches my attention. I only really play 3 or 4 games nowadays and thats team fortress 2(which I only play when taking a break from PSU) PSU ( which I find myself taking more and more breaks and more constantly) SSBB (which I usually only play for like an hour or two)oh and halo 3 from time to time,but id rather much play tf 2. Anyway,I dunno to either accept that im growing up or that if games are just getting worse and less challenging over time and our standards have just gotten lower... T^T

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: The_Gio on 2008-05-11 01:08 ]</font>

darkante
May 11, 2008, 03:18 AM
Reason you donīt think your games are as amusing anymore?
Burned out i think would be the answer.

Take a good break from it and i think you will get the interest back.

I have those periods from time to time, i usually read more books and shit then.
After some days, i get dead tired of them and then iīm back in action lol.

I think the brain crave something more interesting once in a while.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: darkante on 2008-05-11 01:19 ]</font>

SubstanceD
May 11, 2008, 04:51 AM
I get like that sometimes ( like alot of other people who have posted in this topic ). I usually manage to squeeze in about 3 hours of gaming a week and that is if I really make an effort to go out of my way and play games. I look at alot of the up and coming new releases so many of the games just don't appeal to me at all. And, whenever I find a game out there that I like, chances are that I will never play the game through to completion either because it demand too much of my spare time.

Still despite all this I am still interested in gaming, I still go out there and buy new consoles and new games. Apart of me will always be a gamer even if I don't play games as much as I used to or get as much satisfaction from games as I used to back when I was a kid.

UnderscoreX
May 11, 2008, 10:12 PM
Maybe you're growing up.

Monochrome
May 12, 2008, 12:42 AM
I feel this way sometimes too. And seemingly alot more, recently -- I've been playin games for 20 years and have been considering a new hobby for quite some time.. but an amazing game always draws me right back in.

Link5
May 12, 2008, 02:10 PM
I think astuarlen hit my sentiments pretty well.

Back when I was younger I remember reflecting on how most adults had never played video games, and if they had, it wasn't something that really interested them. I would think that me, along with my generation, who were exposed to gaming as it became big, would continue to play for forever. I fully intended on playing games well into adulthood until I was too senile to press A to jump. However, of course, as I've gotten older, my perspective has changed a little.

I really don't think it is the quality of games these days, as I'm sure certain new games would be more than capable of captivating me at a younger age, causing me to play them through 20+ times like Zelda Ocarina of Time, or games before it did. I also don't think it is lack of interest in playing games as you age, because people can maintain their imagination and enjoy good fun throughout their entire life. Instead, I think it's partially a gradual realization and guilt that playing games, except for some choice situations, doesn't really yield any great progress or value in life. When you're young, you've got tons of time to kill, and because of this games can be really appealing. However when you get older, you either blind yourself to it, or start to realize that it may benefit you to do things that are more constructive with your time, trying to get ahead in life, taking care of your kids or other responsibilities you acquire as you get older, etc. As well, you may weigh cultural and social influence into consideration, and let what your image of an adult does effect what you inevitably do.

The point is people come to the conclusion that sinking so much time into getting that rare piece of armor, or honing their ability of fully completing a few games is going to mean nothing on their resume. So they unfortunately trade in all of their virtual time so they can play the more practical game, logging hours 9-5 for a good 30 to 40 year grind until they reach level age 60 something and retire. Although when laid out like this it sounds depressing, it really does seem to be the logical progression of things.

I personally envy people who are able to act like I used to, playing games without constantly feeling like you could be doing something so much more productive. The past few years I've played drastically less amount of time gaming, and a good half or so of it has been when friends coax me into doing some online or multiplayer game with them like CS or WoW. I'm only 20 so time will only tell, but that's my take on it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Link5 on 2008-05-12 12:11 ]</font>

amtalx
May 12, 2008, 02:57 PM
I blame it on a lack of good games. With the size of the industry, its safer to stamp out games like license plates than it is to gamble on something original. There is the occasional diamond in the rough that will bring me back to the time of long painful days filled with the anticipation of getting home to play again, but for the most part, I play because I don't have anythign better to do.

ljkkjlcm9
May 12, 2008, 03:10 PM
I don't think it has anything to do with being more productive. As often times I'll have nothing better to do, but still not want to play games. Like, I have to work in an hour, I could've played a game for a bit, but instead I'm just going to sit around doing nothing.

Maybe that's just me, but being productive has nothing to do with it. It's not as much fun to play games alone as it used to be, though sometimes it's a nice way to relax.

THE JACKEL

Raine_Loire
May 13, 2008, 01:41 AM
I'm sort of like that- I'd rather get a nap in than play a game lately. However, I'm biding my time until October.

When Fallout 3 and Fable 2 come out, I'm probably going to burn out my xbox...