PDA

View Full Version : Music Interpretation

Sgt_Shligger
May 11, 2008, 10:43 AM
In this topic: We take songs that we like and tell the meaning, message, or story they tell. You can be as concise or elaborate as you want. If someone seems to misinterpret a song or you just disagree, make a post on what's wrong and what you think is right. Also, feel free to place a song down that you can't interpret yourself and allow other members to do so. Here's a template.

Band -
Song -
Message -

Band - Pantera
Song - Cemetery Gates
Message - The song is about a man who's wife died and his misery coping with it.

Band - Yes
Song - South Side of the Sky
Message - A pair of climbers are near the top of the mountain and on their last leg.

Randomness
May 11, 2008, 10:45 AM
Band-Nintendo
Song-Gritzy Desert
Message-Who knows?

The_Gio
May 11, 2008, 10:54 AM
Band-Operation Ivy
Song-Healthy Body Sick Mind
Message-How money corrupts and controls

astuarlen
May 11, 2008, 12:02 PM
If you want to get a broader view on the topic, I'd recommend http://www.songmeanings.net.

washuguy
May 11, 2008, 02:45 PM
On 2008-05-11 10:02, astuarlen wrote:
If you want to get a broader view on the topic, I'd recommend http://www.songmeanings.net.

I didn't know this existed... Thanks miss lady person! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Eihwaz
May 11, 2008, 04:32 PM
SongMeanings is a pretty choice lyric site in general. While the lyric database isn't flawless, it has a wide assortment of tunes, and, most importantly, is free of the wide variety of pop ups and annoying ad banners present on many other lyric sites.

Sord
May 11, 2008, 05:53 PM
SongMeanings tended to have really bad incorrect lyrics when I would check on a song there. In the event someone posted on a meaning, they are generally insightful if you're searching for something, though it's purely dependant on the poster. A lot of time I wish an artist would just release a list of what each of their songs mean, because some tend to be really cryptic about it.

Band- Sabaton
Song- Primo Victoria
Message- sings about D-day in WWII

Eihwaz
May 11, 2008, 07:10 PM
On 2008-05-11 15:53, Sord wrote:
A lot of time I wish an artist would just release a list of what each of their songs mean, because some tend to be really cryptic about it.

Oftentimes, it's better for the band to foster a cryptic air about the lyrics of their songs. By not explicitly outlining what the songs mean, people can interpret the song more freely, and thus identify with it more.

And people are a lot more willing to buy music that they "identify" with on some level, right? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Sord
May 11, 2008, 07:38 PM
On 2008-05-11 17:10, Eihwaz wrote:

A lot of time I wish an artist would just release a list of what each of their songs mean, because some tend to be really cryptic about it.

Oftentimes, it's better for the band to foster a cryptic air about the lyrics of their songs. By not explicitly outlining what the songs mean, people can interpret the song more freely, and thus identify with it more.

And people are a lot more willing to buy music that they "identify" with on some level, right? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

I don't like things like that, because it leaves things to be distorted from the original purpose or point. Interpreting a symbol as the wrong symbol is worse than not interpreting one at all imo.

MetaZedlen
May 11, 2008, 09:30 PM
The main song I am waiting for by Disturbed:

Band - (of course) Disturbed
Song - Inside the Fire
Meaning - About David Draiman's gf who commited suicide in their teens.

I found this to be so meaningful because I was once like that, but I realized that there is nothing in this world, no matter how fucked up it may get, worth killing yourself for, because there is one little thing that you can look forward to no matter what the situation may be.

astuarlen
May 11, 2008, 09:35 PM
On 2008-05-11 17:10, Eihwaz wrote:

Uh huh. Plus, I believe that regarding original intent as a definitive indicator of meaning--in any artform, be it literature, film, music, etc--is a mistake. But I am totally not qualified to get into a philosophical discussion here, nor is it the place.
Just as a semi-related (and more personal) note, I hate it when folks insistently ask me what does it mean? when I'm working on or have finished a piece. Hello, you get to use your brain too, guys, and if what transpires in our minds differs, that's okay because I'm not handing down decrees in the form of a picture.

Nai_Calus
May 11, 2008, 11:14 PM
I dunno, I hate the whole 'you must read something into this utterly inocuous statement/paragraph/picture of a girl at the beach/song/whatever. I mean, yeah, some things it makes sense to analyze, but sometimes a picture of a girl at the beach is just a picture of a girl at the beach.

It reminds me of hearing a girl in a drawing class breaking down in tears and declaring that she never wanted to draw anything just because it was pretty again. (I wonder how she dealt with the utterly soulless, dreadfully dull, completely meaningless still lifes the entire class consisted of? lawl. I'd much rather draw something, yes, because it's fucking pretty. And hey, that's what the damned thing means when I'm done with it. It's fucking pretty. I bloody liked it. It's not a metaphor for death or the sacred female or whatever, it's friggin' pretty and that's why I drew it. Which ironically gives it more meaning than the fucking still lifes because it at least meant something to me other than 'Oh yeah I have to do this don't I, fuck, if I have to draw that candlestick one more time I'll scream'.)

...Yeah, I'm not cut out to be an artist. I lack the 'Everything must be dripping with ten layers of meaning' mentality. >_>;

There's a song or three that bug the hell out of me because I have no idea what they're supposed to mean, but they've slipped my mind at the moment.

Of course there's a song or two that annoy me because people never seem to be able to read the bloody obvious into them and complain that they make no sense and hate them for that reason. I think I'm the only person I know who has any idea what the song 'Send In The Clowns' is going on about. >_>; It's... Like blatantly obvious. o_O Even the parts about sending in the clowns and the final line "Don't bother, they're here". It's a 'Haha, that was funny' in the 'funny-oh god' sense rather than 'funny-ha ha' or 'funny-peculiar'. Bitter funny. "Haha, isn't this great, send in some clowns to complete this pathetic farce... Oh, don't bother, the clowns are already here, *we're* the clowns." It's like... How are people not getting this?

Rashiid
May 12, 2008, 08:11 AM
Artist: Little Wayne
Song: Lolipop
Message: I am so cool and fly, that females always want to suck my -bleeeeeeeep-.

AWESOME AMIRITE?!?!?!?

washuguy
May 12, 2008, 05:06 PM
On 2008-05-12 06:11, Rashiid wrote:
Artist: Little Wayne
Song: Lolipop
Message: I am so cool and fly, that females always want to suck my -bleeeeeeeep-.

AWESOME AMIRITE?!?!?!?

LOL hit the nail on the head...

Singer: Jin
Song: Food Fight
Message: How the music in the rap industry is the same but people are to blind to see they're "served" the same "Food" over and over again