PDA

View Full Version : I can't believe some people

Shiro_Ryuu
May 17, 2008, 06:23 PM
So, I go to my mom's friend's house for a party along with my dad. Now, I'll tell you that everyone except for 1 black dude and 1 Asian dude are Latino/Hispanic. There, I'm chatting with this friend of mine who's pretty cool, and he has this girlfriend who's like 22. Another friend comes, and I see this dude has a girlfriend who looks no older than me, and she's pregnant. Then the guy goes on to tell us that this pregnant girl had a child when she was 17, 5 years ago. This means that she's the same age as the other girl who doesn't have any children and isn't pregnant. Now, these middle-aged women tell the non-pregnant girl something in the lines of "You're already 22? What the hell are you doing? Hurry up and get a baby!"

Then they turn to me, a guy who's going to college, speaks horrible Spanish, speaks pretty good Japanese, 21 years old, single, virgin. They tell me "What the hell are you doing in school? You should drop out, get a job, and get married. 21 is way too old to be single and not have kids." Then they criticize my knowledge of the Japanese language. They start saying "When the hell are you going to use that Japanese? You think you're going to Japan?" They then start saying like Latinos are the only people I ever talk to, which they are not, and even if they are, I talk to them in English just as I do with my Black, White, and Asian friends.

I mean, they're telling us to get married and have babies early. Not only do they have no right to tell us how to run our lives, but it's really self-destructive to get married / pop babies at an early age, your life is ruined if you do that kind of shit. I have too much to live for and I'm not going to ruin it by having a family this early.

Kylie
May 17, 2008, 06:27 PM
http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif They sound like my mom.

"Have you met my single daughter?"

AlexCraig
May 17, 2008, 06:34 PM
Wow. Simply, wow. I am so glad I don't know anyone like that.

Rayokarna
May 17, 2008, 07:08 PM
Alex took the words right of my mouth. In London though it tends to be the opposite...

..Saying that alot of the parents down here still believe were in the generation of the war in terms of ethnic mixing...

stukasa
May 17, 2008, 07:24 PM
Different values, different priorities. To them, starting a family is probably the most important thing you can do. The problem is that they weren't respecting YOUR values, but in these situations all you can really do is shrug it off. Don't let anyone else tell you when you should be starting a family, that's something only you can decide. ...But you know that already. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Anduril
May 17, 2008, 08:15 PM
I'm Mexican, but I guess that because my mother and father had kids when they were young, and realized how hard it was, they have never pressured me or my sister into going out there and getting married and having kids young. Hell, even my aunt isn't like that despite the fact that my maternal grandparents are very old fashioned Mexicans (though they are frankly miserable when they are around each other. My grandfather has been in Mexico for a year and my grandmother has been here, and she is relaxed because he isn't around); she's almost 40 and hasn't ever had a serious relationship. Anytime we see a young girl pregnant or with kids there is always that conversation of "Don't put yourself in a situation like that; though children are a blessing you shouldn't bring one into the world unless you are truly ready for the responsibility" always follows. I forgot where I was going with this, I guess I just needed to type out about my family in contrast to the situation, since it was related. I guess it all depends on different generations and situations.

Raine_Loire
May 17, 2008, 08:15 PM
Well now, to be fair, you're 21 not 11. It's not self destructive at YOUR age to be getting married and starting a family. Also, having a family doesn't "ruin your life." By criticizing their lives- especially how you make the pregnant chick sound like such a tramp- you're kind of doing the same thing they are, but in reverse. I'm not saying people who tell you to drop out of school and get married are right, though. When you decide you want to get married is your decision. The languages you choose to learn- also your decision. However, if you choose a life so completely different from the lives of the people you interact with, it might be wise to develop a thicker skin. And learn how to politely smile and and say "I'm happy with the way my life is right now, but thanks for being concerned for me."

On 2008-05-17 18:15, Anduril wrote:
I'm Mexican, but I guess that because my mother and father had kids when they were young, and realized how hard it was, they have never pressured me or my sister into going out there and getting married and having kids young. Hell, even my aunt isn't like that despite the fact that my maternal grandparents are very old fashioned Mexicans (though they are frankly miserable when they are around each other. My grandfather has been in Mexico for a year and my grandmother has been here, and she is relaxed because he isn't around); she's almost 40 and hasn't ever had a serious relationship. Anytime we see a young girl pregnant or with kids there is always that conversation of "Don't put yourself in a situation like that; though children are a blessing you shouldn't bring one into the world unless you are truly ready for the responsibility" always follows. I forgot where I was going with this, I guess I just needed to type out about my family in contrast to the situation, since it was related. I guess it all depends on different generations and situations.

Your aunt is kind of in the complete other direction... to be 40 and never have had a serious relationship... that's not healthy either. And she's pretty much past the age to have kids now, after 35 it's pretty high risk. Although if she decided she could never be responsible for children and just chose not to have them, she should be commended, too many people aren't realistic enough about this.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Raine_Loire on 2008-05-17 18:19 ]</font>

Sychosis
May 17, 2008, 09:10 PM
When I was 10 years old, my grandmother came by to see the house my parents had just bought. She asked me when I was getting married.

Yeeeeaaaahhhhh.....

omegapirate2k
May 17, 2008, 09:28 PM
On 2008-05-17 19:10, Sychosis wrote:
When I was 10 years old, my grandmother came by to see the house my parents had just bought. She asked me when I was getting married.

Yeeeeaaaahhhhh.....

Maybe she had Alzheimer's.

Syl
May 17, 2008, 11:34 PM
I feel you Shiro. They sound like they're very traditional Mexicans. In Mexico, it would be seen as "best for you" to have a family around your age and to have some sort of job.

Mexicans have most of their pride built around family, tradition, and heritage. Because I assume you speak better Japanese than Spanish, to them it's like you're betraying your heritage. Trust me on it, I have a family who is practically the same. My dad acts like he still lives in Mexico whenever he "lectures" me >_>

I used to get scolded for wanting to become a teacher which doesn't make sense to me. I just do what I do to most of their "tradition scolding" and ignore it.

I also got scolded at before for being in an inter-racial relationship :/

They need to get with the times, this isn't Mexico and it never will be lol.

Stormsworder
May 17, 2008, 11:45 PM
Yeah... That's not very good-sounding... I just talked a friend of mine into going against his mom and staying in high school and going to college...

Man, I'd be ticked if someone said that to me, but my family is mostly Cajun.

Shiro_Ryuu
May 18, 2008, 12:23 AM
Ya, I feel very lucky that my mom is not traditional Latina in anyway. She speaks almost perfect English, she approves of me going to Japan, having an Asian girlfriend, listening to heavy metal, having an interest in Eastern and Pagan religions, and other things that would piss off the traditional latino.

But yeah Sylvia, you're right about the "Tradition scolding", it's best to ignore it. I've been through lots of that and have been considered like an Uncle Tom of Latinos. Either way you look at it though, I'm the one who's been through the opposite end of the world and I'm far less ignorant than they are (they think China is in Europe for Pete's sake).

Solstis
May 18, 2008, 01:56 AM
Since people tend to ignore long posts.

It's bad to have kids in your early twenties? Do you not watch HGTV?

SabZero
May 18, 2008, 03:31 AM
Oh dear lordy. People reproduce simply because they can.

Everyone chooses for themselves if or when to have kids, mk?

When my mother in law asked why I didn't want kids I said "why would I?". She shut up http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif She couldn't find a valid reason for reproducing other than "because you can". yeah. gtfo my house.

Chuck_Norris
May 18, 2008, 04:20 AM
Hah, thanks, Shiroryuu. I needed a good laugh. Rants never disappoints. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

I really don't have much to add. Everyone else has said what I would of. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Leviathan
May 18, 2008, 11:01 AM
A lot of kids where I come from are already doing that, we even have a school where they send the girls that are preggers off to. D=

My mom always told me to go to high school get into the 10% &go to college.

I think people need to do that instead of getting pregnant at that age, for the most part it will be hard to get a great paying job in the first place with no college education &then even try to raise a family.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Leviatha on 2008-05-18 11:01 ]</font>

Raine_Loire
May 18, 2008, 12:48 PM
yeah but the OP isn't talking about HS- he's talking about someone old enough to be out of college.

Leviathan
May 18, 2008, 01:07 PM
That wasn't the point of my post.

On 2008-05-18 10:48, Raine_Loire wrote:
yeah but the OP isn't talking about HS- he's talking about someone old enough to be out of college.

"... It's hard to get a great paying job in the first place with no college education &then even try to raise a family."

What I'm saying is that you should apply yourself to getting a better education &then having a family, not getting a family &getting a job with the minimum education.

Also it depends on what kind of degree you pursue, some take longer than others.

biggabertha
May 18, 2008, 02:40 PM
Well, I'm from an Asian family and my parents are pretty traditional - grandparent even moreso.

Every year, when I come back from University and my whole family's at the table for a meal, I'm presented with the question:

"Why are you still single and unmarried, Alex?"

-_-;

My point being? It's not just a race thing, it's just the way tradition goes. Maybe this year, I'll make up some imaginary partner but that'd probably just lead to more questions. I do feel your pain though, Shiroryuu, it is a real frustrating and annoying time when someone tells you what you SHOULD be doing with your life but then... some people do have more experience and some advice is worth taking. Sometimes...

drizzle
May 19, 2008, 03:00 AM
Haha. Don't let others ru(i)n your life. If you're not ready for it, then you're not ready. Rushing to find a partner just to have babies early, now that is often a good way to ruin the rest of your life. If you marry someone, do it because you love each other not because you're 21 http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

People often do this kind of stuff to justify their own actions. While I don't think 21 is too young to have children, there's really no good reason to rush that kind of thing at that age.

Kent
May 19, 2008, 06:40 AM
...If I was much for keeping tradition in my family, I'd already be married, divorced, and have a kid - and I turned 21 last month.

I don't know about with your family, but I let mine know exactly how disgusted I am with the lot of them, when they pressure me to make the same mistakes they did. Then I get criticized and scolded for having a way of life and a direction that's so radically different from the rest of them (because apparently, applying my intellectual pursuits toward making video games is absolutely freaking ridiculous, even if I am the top of my class and most likely to succeed).

Every time I'm seen with a girl by any family members, they do always tease me about it, and throw out the occaisional "So when are you two getting married?" Basically every time my dad sees a girl at my school (pretty rare in this field - most are there for Criminal Justice), he basically always says something about her - even if I don't know who she is, but if I ever so much as say anything to her, and he catches wind of it, it's automatically assumed that I'm interested.

Despite that, being that I work at the school, my job prevents me from pursuing a relationship with any of the students (or staff, for that matter). I happen to like my nice, cushy job, thanks. I don't really blame him for wanting to see me in a relationship... But I don't like people pressuring into rushing things that I'm already taking in stride.

On a side-note, I do have three stepsisters, the daughters of the angry, ex-military, picturesque redneck that decided to marry my mom. All three of them have kids (or have been pregnant and inticed a miscarriage) and are below 25 (the youngest being 18, and already has been pregnant twice). I have a habit of learning from the mistakes of others - every single one of them has gone completely insane from the children, and is a rather horrible parent.

...Yeah. Glad I'm smarter than that.

Raine_Loire
May 20, 2008, 02:55 AM
Drizzle said it perfectly. Get married when you want to get married because you're with the person you want to be with forever. Have kids when the 2 of you are ready.

It will without a doubt ruin your life to marry someone and have kids just to have married someone and had kids.

@ Kent... You're REALLY harsh and judgmental about your stepsisters. It doesn't reflect well on you. What exactly kind of job do you have at that school anyway? I've never heard of any job besides teacher that you can't date students, lol. And you can't really blame your parents for thinking the direction you want your life to go in is silly- do you have a clue how many people between 16 and 30 want to "make video games?" All you can do is keep plugging away, and proving you'll be in the small percentage of those who actually succeed.

Kent
May 20, 2008, 06:40 AM
Teacher's Assistant. When I got signed on, I had to sign a paper saying that my fulfillment of the position would be terminated if I were to pursue any form of intimate relationship with another student (though, I don't think it goes retroactively, but that doesn't really matter, anyway).

And yeah, I realize how it is about "I wanan make teh vidya gaemeZ!1 D:" and such, but I find it interesting that they don't lend an ear long enough to figure out that I'm one of those people who actually has the ability and passion required to do it - hell, I already have one game published (and learned a valuable lesson on "development hell," in the process). It's funny, because people who aren't relatives of one or more generations behind mine just love the idea and give all of the support they can (with a couple exceptions, such as my sister, who openly hates video games... Then steals my GameBoy Color and PlayStation 2 for Tetris and Guitar Hero, respectively).

To be honest, though... I don't think I'm being that harsh on my stepsisters. I have a rather high tolerance for people living their own lives and following their own paths, but there's a point where it's the most wrought with failure (did I mention that only the middle child of the three, the one my age, has actually ever graduated high school or gotten a GED? I don't think I did), and rife with the worst, most convoluted, and nigh-nonexistant logic I've ever been able to perceive. There's also a point where it starts to interfere with my life, like when I'm visiting my mom over break...

Things like leaving small children alone, going on an insane rampage of yelling and screaming on a whim (is that caused by children? :/ ), and willingly and knowingly going out cruising (probably on the way to visit the boyfriend, who just happens to be a drain on society) in someone else's vehicle, without permission or even so much as a permit (much less a license). Knowing their actual father, and hearing nothing but unsavory things about their mother (never met her myself, so I don't know about that), I can't help but imagine that this sort of thing is hereditary.

Of course, it's not like I go around preaching hatred or their downfalls or anything - I'm not like thier father (who is just about as hateful as your average Klan member - he is one of those people that thinks races should never intermix). In basically all circumstances, I'm the only one around that's being civil. :/

BlaizeYES
May 20, 2008, 05:07 PM
On 2008-05-20 00:55, Raine_Loire wrote:

And you can't really blame your parents for thinking the direction you want your life to go in is silly- do you have a clue how many people between 16 and 30 want to "make video games?"

about the same amount of people that want to be screen writers, and think they have an idea for a script that could "change the world"

Raine_Loire
May 21, 2008, 03:39 AM
I think the ratio may have shifted more to the video game maker side by now.

BlaizeYES
May 21, 2008, 12:44 PM
i think i have to agree with you, raine. and i see that as a major problem... with video games rising in popularity and becoming more and more socially acceptable with people from all age groups, the amount of "gamers" out there keep growing... and taking more traditional junkies into the status of a "gamer" as well. you have the "DVD junkies" sitting at home watching movies all the time, the same type of people(and then some) are now crossing over to the "video game junkies" that sit at home all day, playing video games. and most of the time, it's the junkies that want to take "their passion" and make it into a career... but the problem is, their only actual hobbies are playing video games, watching movies, and maybe becoming a rockstar because they know how to play an acoustic. so instead of pursuing a logical career choice, they would rather live this fantasy of "living the rich life" of a film writer, a director, an actor, a rockstar, a model, a socialite, and now the glamorous video game maker... lol

there isnt the same amount of people who have that dream to "GO TO HOLLYWOOD" and "MAKE IT BIG." now it's i want to "STAY HOME ALL DAY AND PLAY VIDEO GAMES, TAKE SOME NIGHT CLASSES, AND HOPEFULLY GET TO SIT IN A CUBICLE WORKING 18 HOURS A DAY PROGRAMMING CODE FOR A GAME COMPANY YOU DONT EVEN LIKE, WHILE IN THE MEANTIME KEEP ON TRYING TO 'PLUG MY GAME IDEA TO THE HIGHER-UPS' TO NO AVAIL."

if i had to choose, i'd stick with the movie junkies.

Raine_Loire
May 21, 2008, 03:22 PM
Wait- you mean life ISN'T like the movie "grandma's boy" ???

BlaizeYES
May 21, 2008, 05:58 PM
oh yes, the great american classic "mama's boy," i heard it's based on a true story... the CRAZY INSANE PARTY that is fueled by nothing but weed, the guy smoking all day and somehow taking time away from his hectic life to create THE NEXT BIG GAME, getting a "hot babe" while living the typical life of a loser, and his grandma playing his ultimate rival in a "battle" of his own game to see who the real creator of that virtual masterpiece is. its like someone stole the stories of hundreds of thousands of stoner video game junkies and made a documentary about their similar quests.

i'm sorry if i've ruined the movie for anyone who has been dying to see it, i saw it against my better judgement with some people that LOVED IT a few years ago... and surprisingly, those people i went to see it with are no longer with me.

but the ending wont really surprise you. that "true to life story" in the movie is a lifestyle that i'm sure many, many, many around the US have lived. after all, they are trying to reach a demographic of people that say silently to themselves whilst watching, "hey, i'm JUST like that guy!" i have 8 more years before i can be "that guy." its going to take hard work of sitting around all day doing nothing, watching adult swim and G4, and smokin blunts to the face while waiting patiently for it "all to come together" before i can achieve that level of success

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BlaizeYES on 2008-05-21 15:59 ]</font>

Nitro Vordex
May 21, 2008, 06:05 PM
How did this turn from ethnic pregnancy to video game producing and screenwriting, and how low the chances are?

ljkkjlcm9
May 21, 2008, 06:27 PM
cultural differences

THE JACKEL

Raine_Loire
May 22, 2008, 01:11 AM
On 2008-05-21 15:58, BlaizeYES wrote:
i saw it against my better judgement with some people that LOVED IT a few years ago... and surprisingly, those people i went to see it with are no longer with me.

The movie killed them, huh? It's a sad and little known side effect from the movie.

Actually, if we're going off topic, I can't stand movies where the average looking guy with mild retardation and a borderline personality disorder gets a really hot chick at the end of the movie. I don't know why, but it bugs me. It's not like I think good looking girls should only go for good looking guys, but come on! (I'm thinking most of Adam Sandler's movies as examples, lol)

Shinko
Jun 1, 2008, 11:54 PM
meh.... ppl are ignorant period. everywhere u go ur going to have to deal with ppl say bull like that. just forget what they're saying and do what u feel is right

Zorafim
Jun 2, 2008, 10:02 AM
Once you graduate and get a well paying job, they'll treat you like some sort of prince. Mexicans and most hispanics are a very simple people, they tend not to look too deeply into the future.
Heh, reminds me of my sister when she visited my grandparents. If she gained weight, they'd comment on how fat she was and how she needed to lose weight. If she lost weight, they'd comment on how annerexic she looked and how she needed to eat more. You can't really look too deeply into what they say, their words are very narrow. Though, Cubans and Mexicans are very different...

HUnewearl_Meira
Jun 2, 2008, 04:39 PM
Shiroryuu, next time your family gets on your ass about dropping out of school, getting a minimum-wage job and eagerly making babies, I recommend that you, as succinctly as possible, explain the consequences of that course and immediately contrast it to the results of the alternative you've chosen.

Teacher's Assistant. When I got signed on, I had to sign a paper saying that my fulfillment of the position would be terminated if I were to pursue any form of intimate relationship with another student (though, I don't think it goes retroactively, but that doesn't really matter, anyway).

And yeah, I realize how it is about "I wanan make teh vidya gaemeZ!1 D:" and such, but I find it interesting that they don't lend an ear long enough to figure out that I'm one of those people who actually has the ability and passion required to do it - hell, I already have one game published (and learned a valuable lesson on "development hell," in the process). It's funny, because people who aren't relatives of one or more generations behind mine just love the idea and give all of the support they can (with a couple exceptions, such as my sister, who openly hates video games... Then steals my GameBoy Color and PlayStation 2 for Tetris and Guitar Hero, respectively).

To be honest, though... I don't think I'm being that harsh on my stepsisters. I have a rather high tolerance for people living their own lives and following their own paths, but there's a point where it's the most wrought with failure (did I mention that only the middle child of the three, the one my age, has actually ever graduated high school or gotten a GED? I don't think I did), and rife with the worst, most convoluted, and nigh-nonexistant logic I've ever been able to perceive. There's also a point where it starts to interfere with my life, like when I'm visiting my mom over break...

Things like leaving small children alone, going on an insane rampage of yelling and screaming on a whim (is that caused by children? :/ ), and willingly and knowingly going out cruising (probably on the way to visit the boyfriend, who just happens to be a drain on society) in someone else's vehicle, without permission or even so much as a permit (much less a license). Knowing their actual father, and hearing nothing but unsavory things about their mother (never met her myself, so I don't know about that), I can't help but imagine that this sort of thing is hereditary.

Of course, it's not like I go around preaching hatred or their downfalls or anything - I'm not like thier father (who is just about as hateful as your average Klan member - he is one of those people that thinks races should never intermix). In basically all circumstances, I'm the only one around that's being civil. :/

Y'know, Kent... You need to find a reasonably intelligent woman that doesn't drive you out of your skull, get to a comfortable and secure place in your life as quickly as you possibly can, and produce as much offspring as your breeding years will permit. Seriously. I read the quality of your post, and it's quite clear to me that it is your kind that just aren't reproducing enough, and thus, allowing the deficient to inherit the Earth.

The inherent problem that mankind has as a race, is that without deliberate intervention, frequency of reproduction is inversely proportionate to intelligence. Consider this: That guy taking three different Advanced Placement science classes every year when you were in High School, and taking his math classes at the local Junior College at age 15-- no children. That idiot who sat next to you in World History, spending the entire period making fart jokes-- Fifteen children by the time he hits 25, large swaths of which do not share mothers. It is a regrettable circumstance that those with the requisite intelligence to possess a quantifiable portion of practical foresight, are consequently the subset of humanity that realize, prior to the point of no return, the disadvantages of producing more children than they have the means to support. The movie, "Idiocracy (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387808/)" demonstrated this principle rather nicely, I think, though the effect may have been somewhat embellished.

Raine_Loire
Jun 3, 2008, 12:48 PM
Consider this: That guy taking three different Advanced Placement science classes every year when you were in High School, and taking his math classes at the local Junior College at age 15-- no children. That idiot who sat next to you in World History, spending the entire period making fart jokes-- Fifteen children by the time he hits 25, large swaths of which do not share mothers. It is a regrettable circumstance that those with the requisite intelligence to possess a quantifiable portion of practical foresight, are consequently the subset of humanity that realize, prior to the point of no return, the disadvantages of producing more children than they have the means to support. The movie, "Idiocracy (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387808/)" demonstrated this principle rather nicely, I think, though the effect may have been somewhat embellished.

I like idiocracy, lol.

However the smart guy being the best candidate to pass on his genetic code (but not)- and the stupid slacker being the one who has 20 kids- isn't always the case. My ex husband had finished high school credits by 16 and was dually enrolled at a community college the next 2 years. He got his HS diploma and his AA the same time. And that was the pinnacle of his career for the next SIX years. After that, he went to college, changed his major every semester, from music theory to physics, to pre pharm, you get the picture. When I met him, he had no direction at all, just intended to go to college until he was 30, because classes were the only thing he thought he was good at. And he was sort of incompetent at anything else. I had to do his paperwork, the taxes, the fafsas, etc... When we were married and expecting a baby (and I- as the "mentally inferior" one in his eyes- had to sacrifice college to work full time to support us) he finally just chose a career path to follow someone he wanted to be like- my dad- he's now a chemist, but stopped at 25 with a BS. It's a screeching halt for someone who had started out like he did!

Also, once we were married, I found out his brother is a cross dresser (possible transgender, we don't know if he just dresses that way or wants to BE that way) and his mom is schizophrenic. His apparently wonderful genes aren't really winning the lottery after all. After we divorced, he went nuts, kidnapped my daughter- blah blah blah 3 years of court- and now HE of all people is raising her. And he's now remarried to a girl who wants at least 6 more kids (although, to his credit, he's held her off for a few years now- I think she MAY be losing interest, lol).

On the other hand, my first HS bf was an idiot. Cars, girls, alcohol- that was all he was interested in. I ended up doing most of his finals for him his first semester in college just so he would pass. Total idiot. He's now almost 30, with no kids, and he's loaded. Of course, he's the exact same person, he used a ton of his money to open a club in his basement... whooo, a club in his basement. It's good he didn't have kids, however I feel that genetically he is the better of the 2. He has a large, loving, really fun family, and under all the idiocy, he's a really nice guy- which I can't honestly say about my ex-husband.

I could quote more, my own family for example, my dad is one of 8 kids, only 3 of which graduated high school, he's the ONLY one who graduated college, and he has a masters degree. He had 3 kids- our IQs are all genius level, but we don't have the DRIVE my dad has. So his genes- came from God knows where- and failed to pass on.

I just think you can't classify what genes someone is going to pass on- or how many times they're going to pass them on- is as simply determined as your post makes it sound. And a lot has to do with the other parent as well, lol. But I know you were using a generalization, I just wanted to add my 2 cents to it ^_^ I guess my point is- if Kent gets that reasonably intelligent girl, he should spend a LOT of time with her family first. Like- camp outs for a week at a time. Maybe have a psychiatrist "happen" to drop by their house and chat them up. Something subtle like that.

But if you want an example to prove your point about people having more children than they have the means for- look at nearly ALL army families. Every time I run across someone here they ask when Laguna and I are going to have any more kids. When we laugh and say "ha ha ha... please." They ask if we hate kids. I don't get the urge to have more kids than a minivan has seats for- we just are starting to get our lives back now that our son is 5!

And @ Kent- about the yelling and screaming... yeah- sometimes kids DO cause that :P A LOT of times, depending on their ages. (I'm kidding of course, it isn't to the extreme YOU mentioned ^^)

unicorn
Jun 3, 2008, 03:38 PM
Lol. I'm Puerto Rican.

Most of my generation is married already (most of the males have been to jail too). I'm the only one from my generation (in my family) that is going to school. Lol.

Try being an unmarried 19 year old homosexual from a latino family. =D

Kent
Jun 3, 2008, 04:55 PM
When I met him, he had no direction at all, just intended to go to college until he was 30

I love college... It's actually kind of depressing that I'm graduating at the end of September - it means I stop.

...For the time being. I just wish Game Design had a doctorate I could get.

But I know you were using a generalization, I just wanted to add my 2 cents to it ^_^ I guess my point is- if Kent gets that reasonably intelligent girl, he should spend a LOT of time with her family first. Like- camp outs for a week at a time. Maybe have a psychiatrist "happen" to drop by their house and chat them up. Something subtle like that.

For the most part, the reasonable intelligent ones aren't exactly... All that sane. :/ There is one, however, who is not only reasonably intelligent (knows something along the lines of three languages now, is kind of a programmer, and realizes how computers work)... But her mother absolutely loves my cheesecakes. >_>

With my luck, it won't work out because the lot of us are too level-headed. lol

Raine_Loire
Jun 4, 2008, 10:51 AM
The mother liking you is the first step, anyway :P

You just have to remember that you can't be level headed 100% of the time and you'll be fine ^_^

Shiro_Ryuu
Jun 4, 2008, 11:09 PM
Once you graduate and get a well paying job, they'll treat you like some sort of prince. Mexicans and most hispanics are a very simple people, they tend not to look too deeply into the future.
Heh, reminds me of my sister when she visited my grandparents. If she gained weight, they'd comment on how fat she was and how she needed to lose weight. If she lost weight, they'd comment on how annerexic she looked and how she needed to eat more. You can't really look too deeply into what they say, their words are very narrow. Though, Cubans and Mexicans are very different...

Yeah, I know. Latinos in general would say that a girl that is thin would need to lose weight, but don't say much to those who are overweight. They and my dad think I'm a wierdo because when I see a thin Asian girl and say something like "She's hot!", they'll be like "WTF you talking about? She's too skinny and flat."

Abashi76
Jun 7, 2008, 06:29 PM
Its the total reverse amongst white people. They are totally paranoid about young people having children, saying that you must be 30 or something before you can take care of a kid ... BS