PDA

View Full Version : Always wanted a car that comes with a free gun?

Shadowpawn
May 25, 2008, 11:32 AM
Well look no further than the Midwest (http://www.reuters.com/article/oddlyEnoughNews/idUSN2249853620080523?feedType=RSS&feedName=oddlyEnoughNews) for all your car lovin', gun totin' needs!

Yip Yip!

For those who are too lazy to actually read the article I've quoted the reason why they are doing this.

"We did it because of Barack Obama (http://www.reuters.com/news/globalcoverage/barackobama). He said all those people in the Midwest, you've got to have compassion for them because they're clinging to their guns and their Bibles. I found that quite offensive."

Then he follows up with this:

"We all go to church on Sunday and we all carry guns," said Muller. "I've got a gun in my pocket right now. I have a rifle in my truck. We've got to shoot the coyotes out here, they're attacking our cows, our chickens. We're not clinging to nothing. We're just damn glad to live in a free country where you can have a gun if you want. This is the way it ought to be."

I'm not sure if he's being sarcastic here and is intentionally painting himself as a hick but that part made me lol for some reason. But still, I can't believe they're allowed to just give away guns like that. What happened to background checks and requiring a license?

beatrixkiddo
May 25, 2008, 11:38 AM
Well, people in Missouri do farm, but I highly doubt a car dealer does.

Eihwaz
May 25, 2008, 11:57 AM
The article says that the dealership was giving out a $250 credit for a gun store, not an actual firearm.

Shadowpawn
May 25, 2008, 11:59 AM
So I took a little liberty with the actual technicalities. Big whoop :wacko:

Katrina
May 25, 2008, 12:04 PM
That's almost as good as the "Beer and Fireworks" sign from Texas.

Nothing says fun like alcohol and explosives

Syl
May 25, 2008, 03:03 PM
...it might just be me waking up, but I read that as "free gum" :wacko:

Zarode
May 25, 2008, 03:34 PM
...it might just be me waking up, but I read that as "free gum" :wacko:

Sold. :wacko:

Dangerous55
May 25, 2008, 05:27 PM
So I took a little liberty with the actual technicalities. Big whoop :wacko:

You make it sound like it goes like this:

1. Buy a car.
2. Get a gun no matter who you are.

Not so.

You buy a car, he gives you some money to buy a gun through a gun dealer. That gun purchase is just like any other in that state.

Good promotion, I bet he gets a lot of takers.

Raine_Loire
May 25, 2008, 08:28 PM
The strange thing is that Obama is an IL senator, IL being sorta the heart of the midwest (biased cause I'm from Chicago, lol) why would he bash the midwest by calling them gun toting bible thumpers?

Also, in my experience, the gun toting bible thumpers are in the south (and that is the stereotype as well)- alabama, GA, TN, etc. Either Obama was misquoted or he's not as smart as I thought he was...

*Edit* I found the exact quote:

You go into these small towns in Pennsylvania and, like a lot of small towns in the Midwest, the jobs have been gone now for 25 years and nothing’s replaced them…And they fell through the Clinton Administration, and the Bush Administration, and each successive administration has said that somehow these communities are gonna regenerate and they have not.

And it’s not surprising then they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren’t like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations.

So... it sounds like he's talking about PA being the bitter ones, right? Isn't PA East Coast? Does Obama know ANYTHING about America?????

Ketchup345
May 26, 2008, 12:00 AM
Barack in the quote was saying how people sometimes vote against their financial interests. They sometimes become essentially single issue voters on guns or religion or immigration. I forget the rest of the explanation though. PA was included in
with midwest because I guess parts of PA were hit hard when certain industries moved and never recovered; larger cities tend to be more commercial than industry, so they didn't suffer as much.

Follow-up to his previous comment:

They feel like they've been left behind. They feel like nobody's paying attention to what they're going through. So I said, 'Well you know, when you're bitter, you turn to what you can count on.' So people, they vote about guns or they take comfort from their faith and their families and their communities. And they get mad about illegal immigrants who are coming over to this country. Or they get frustrated about how things have changed."If you want to talk politics, I'd suggest a new thread.

Shadow:
I think gun laws are different across the country, with some requiring next to nothing for longer weapons (shotgun, rifle), and having restrictions on handguns. Or even few restrictions on handguns (I think I remember something about the incident at VA Tech where some news source said handguns were easy to obtain).

Powder Keg
May 26, 2008, 12:07 AM
The article says that the dealership was giving out a $250 credit for a gun store, not an actual firearm.

Oh, no problem then. They'll probably just spend it on peanuts or something.

Wait.

Dangerous55
May 26, 2008, 12:39 AM
Oh, no problem then. They'll probably just spend it on peanuts or something.

Wait.

What is the problem with buying a gun?

Sord
May 26, 2008, 06:00 AM
Yeah, Missiouri can be a pretty wonky state sometimes. We have a weird state judicial system that none of the other states use (or if they do, very few use it.) Our driving laws are fairly lax compared to other states, as is our alcohol and gun laws (granted, you still have to take classes and stuff, I think the best place to get a license is Utah though, might be wrong.) Even though I'm on the St. Louis side, I've driven through the Kansas City areas, and let me tell you IT BORING AS ALL HELL. Nothin but rolling hills and farmland, a fwe small towns, until you finally hit the city (which reeks of course, and seems to have gobs of overpasses compared to St.Louis for some reason.)

Someone brought up Illinois, so I guess I should mention that Illinois is actually far stricter than Missouri. Let me put it this way, in Missouri, passengers can drink while someone is driving. In Illinois, if there's a box of beer in your tunk, and it's opened, you are violating the law. Or even worse, if you have the plastic rings on the six packs, if one of them slips off, you now have an "open container." Happy fines!

Oh, and coyotes are a legitimate problem out here actually. They can also ruin game reserves (this ones big with my dad, as he hunts a lot.)

Solstis
May 26, 2008, 09:28 AM
Yeah, but, Coyotes are cute (Daily Coyote is an amazing site).

That aside, if I lived in Missouri or somewhere else Midwesty, I would probably own a gun. Not for my protection, but for something to do (Shooting ranges, etc).

Kylie
May 26, 2008, 12:19 PM
This promotes gas theft. :yes:

Shiro_Ryuu
May 26, 2008, 12:44 PM
IMO Obama is right to bash the gun-toting, Bible-reading rednecks.

Shattered_weasel
May 26, 2008, 01:06 PM
IMO Obama is right to bash the gun-toting, Bible-reading rednecks.

Then the gun-toting, Bible reading rednecks are right to bash any race that isn't theirs.

beatrixkiddo
May 26, 2008, 01:08 PM
Yeah, Missiouri can be a pretty wonky state sometimes. We have a weird state judicial system that none of the other states use (or if they do, very few use it.) Our driving laws are fairly lax compared to other states, as is our alcohol and gun laws (granted, you still have to take classes and stuff, I think the best place to get a license is Utah though, might be wrong.) Even though I'm on the St. Louis side, I've driven through the Kansas City areas, and let me tell you IT BORING AS ALL HELL. Nothin but rolling hills and farmland, a fwe small towns, until you finally hit the city (which reeks of course, and seems to have gobs of overpasses compared to St.Louis for some reason.)

Someone brought up Illinois, so I guess I should mention that Illinois is actually far stricter than Missouri. Let me put it this way, in Missouri, passengers can drink while someone is driving. In Illinois, if there's a box of beer in your tunk, and it's opened, you are violating the law. Or even worse, if you have the plastic rings on the six packs, if one of them slips off, you now have an "open container." Happy fines!

Oh, and coyotes are a legitimate problem out here actually. They can also ruin game reserves (this ones big with my dad, as he hunts a lot.)

Yeah KC is a big mess of roads :3

Blitzkommando
May 26, 2008, 01:28 PM
Wild animals of numerous kinds are problems in the mid-west. In this area deer are a huge problem. I've seen deer prints in the middle of my college campus which is a good mile away from any wooded areas. We have coyotes in this area too, but they aren't so much a problem as they aren't nearly as numerous. The reduced hunting in this area has resulted in more deer-related traffic incidents due to the deer population exploding.

Raine_Loire
May 26, 2008, 03:03 PM
If you want to talk politics, I'd suggest a new thread.

Oh God, like I'd want to talk politics on an internet forum. Pass.

My point is that all these midwestern people are getting so bent out of shape over what he said when they need to just shrug it off, because he was talking about PA, and PA isn't even in the midwest- nor is it in the south with the gun toting, bible thumping rednecks. He's just overgeneralizing, and people are going around with hurt a**es because of it. The promotion itself is ridiculous. $250 credit at a gun store? Why didn't they throw in a bible and a white hood as well, if they want to fit in with the stereotypes?

Technically, to Europeans, all Americans are gun toting bible thumping rednecks, so really Obama is just mirroring the rest of the world's opinion of us- and a select group don't like it.

But how is perpetuating a stereotype in any way solving the problem?

Dangerous55
May 27, 2008, 01:42 AM
Oh God, like I'd want to talk politics on an internet forum. Pass.

My point is that all these midwestern people are getting so bent out of shape over what he said when they need to just shrug it off, because he was talking about PA, and PA isn't even in the midwest- nor is it in the south with the gun toting, bible thumping rednecks. He's just overgeneralizing, and people are going around with hurt a**es because of it. The promotion itself is ridiculous. $250 credit at a gun store? Why didn't they throw in a bible and a white hood as well, if they want to fit in with the stereotypes?

Technically, to Europeans, all Americans are gun toting bible thumping rednecks, so really Obama is just mirroring the rest of the world's opinion of us- and a select group don't like it.

But how is perpetuating a stereotype in any way solving the problem?

His problem was lack of sales.

This is getting him a hell of a lot of attention. People in that area who support The Second will buy from him, trust me.

This has nothing to do with Obama. What Obama said was stupid politically and just flat out wrong.

Anyone who sterotypes me(a gun owner) as a KKK member will receive no argument from me. Anyone making that type of conclusion from ownership of a firearm isn't worth a tenth of a penny.