PDA

View Full Version : Advice on killing Magas Maggahna (Desert Goliath S2)

Von_Klaun
May 29, 2008, 10:02 PM
Here's the deal: Solo Desert Goliath S2

Me- Human lvl 130 Fortetecher 15
So far my primary means of attack is Diga 35 with Psycho Wand
Have various armors 8*-9* with lightning at 30-36%
Har / Quick
2 partners - usually Laia and my PM (support lvl24)

I can solo S2 on every level without much trouble (some are a pain and slow) except the HIVE S2 missions and Desert Goliath S2. Well I take that back- I have no trouble with Desert Goliath S2 UNTIL I get to the Magas Maggahna. Then I burn through 10 scapes and die after breaking the Maggahnaīs lower half. I try dodging and generally have little with the sword lunges. I tend to get 1hitkilled over and over. The only way I seem to be able to get any sustained pounding on him itīs generally on the base part and it just comes off and then he seems nigh unstoppable.

School me pros, I am getting sick of this.

Talise
May 29, 2008, 10:20 PM
I dun think many FTs attempt to solo that boss. He's a definite FT 1 hitter. 0_0 Your best chance to hit with Diga is to randomly cast at him and hope his arm doesn't move away 0_0. Your 2nd resort is to use a bow, but you will definitely leave yourself open, cards can help you hit the arms while giving you mobility, but it'll probably take much longer to kill him. I haven't attempted this myself, that's all I have to say -_-. * While he has his base and is moving more slowly, Nosdiga will take his health down faster.

Gen2000
May 29, 2008, 10:57 PM
I actually find Magas easiest with my FT, I solo him all the time with mine.

Rod- Nosdiga his base
Mag - Diga his arms after he dies, if you learn his movement pattern it's not that hard.

Stun/Resist and good lightining armor helps the most though and being smart enough to learn to use mates instead of resta during certain situtations helps you take him down faster.

Also ditch Laia, she does no damage. Any other beast NPC or Bruce is much better.

desturel
May 30, 2008, 12:00 AM
My personal preference is Diga until his pants fall off then alternate between Diga and Jusei-sou (earth bow) as a fortetecher.

After fighting him for a while you get to know his pattern pretty well. All of his stuff is dodgeable except for his 360 degree spin around sword swipe and that should only kill you if you are too close (it hits twice at close range).

I don't like using Nosdiga myself as it keeps me in one spot for too long. I'd rather be able to move at any time. A friend of mine likes using Jusei-shiki (earth cards) to keep on the run. They do more damage than the bow and are more mobile, but I hate how they sometimes lock onto the lower part of the arm sometimes instead of at the joint.

Another thing is that I have a 46% lightning Rikau-senba when I'm fighting as a fortetecher and a 46% lightning Stormline for when I'm a gunner so I'm sure that's part of the reason why I rarely die when fighting him. Before the expansion I used a 50% Ageha-senba (back when armor percentages were more important than their star rating), so you may want to check into some higher percentage armor to see if that helps you out.

amtalx
May 30, 2008, 12:09 AM
This boss is not really all that techer friendly, particularly as a Human. :-/ fTs have the lowest average attack speed of any class in the game. That being said, if you have leveled bullets, go that route. It will help your attack speed. If not, chuck Diga since it wont keep you in place for very long.

Gen2000
May 30, 2008, 12:23 AM
Since Magas is one of few lightining bosses in the game I find him very tech friendly since the damage speed output is actually good because ground techs have some of the highest TP mods out of all techs. Nosdiga is like 6-8k a cast and it's not that long unless you're doing it far away from him and holding down the button (which you shouldn't be doing anyways). With mag it's a rapid-fire of 2-3k damage.

Libram
May 30, 2008, 12:47 AM
I've fought him many a time as my FT, and I must say that Earth Bow to the stomach is your best friend. He'll stumble eventually, and usually it'll be when he's trying to hit with an attack, thus canceling his attack. For evasion you always need to be running to the right perpendicular to Maggas. His sword dash is biased to his right, so running to the left pretty much guarantees you getting hit. A perpendicular run to the right is also the only way I've ever dodged that grenade shot as well. If you really want to make things easier don't attack the base at all. Only aim for the upper arm. This way you won't cause him to speed up and become overly annoying.

drizzle
May 30, 2008, 04:10 AM
You need a high % lightning shield.

Dakkon
May 30, 2008, 04:27 AM
As a fortetecher there is one and only one way to struggle-less reliably and comfortably kill him after the base is destroyed, far superior to bow or sharpshooting diga to the arms in both mobility and dps:
Unless you suck at fortetecher because you never bothered to lvl your fucking bullets to a decent extent.

F-Gattaca
May 30, 2008, 05:42 AM
I feel compelled to emphasize Dakkon's post with the following.

I believe the /b/tards among us would say something like "FUCK YEAH SEAKING!" right about now.

(Sorry if I'm being superfluous, I'm too caught up in the irony of this.)

desturel
May 30, 2008, 06:44 AM
Unless you suck at fortetecher because you never bothered to lvl your fucking bullets to a decent extent.

Bah, it's not like cards take that long to level anyway. :)

Techer bullets (cards and bows) level pretty quickly compared to techs or gunner only bullets. Well, except for Masei-sou which I FINALLY got to 21. (mainly because I'm too impatient to level it properly)

JFKdj
May 30, 2008, 07:52 AM
Just get a fortegunner to come with you.

JAFO22000
May 30, 2008, 09:54 AM

I lol'd.

Gen2000
May 30, 2008, 12:53 PM
Cards level fast without even trying, using a Card Regas, HPC, and lv.30 Ground Card, I still prefer Diga via Mag mainly because I'm used to his movement pattern so I kill him faster that way since his arms are always within Diga range for me.

Von_Klaun
May 30, 2008, 08:44 PM
Thanks alot for all the advice so far.

I have now solved my biggest problem, which made a huge difference, 44+% lighting armor. What a difference in dealing with those (formerly) instakilling sword attacks. Now the only thing that regularly was able to grease me was the missle barrages- which can be dodged and it was my lack of smarts there that wasted me.

My biggest problems/weaknesses now are: No leveled ground bow bullet (or card), and no Nosdiga. (I only have Megiverse now- I only started teching during MAG, I had been Protranser/Fortefighter/fighgunner before, and I never levelled my ground bullet past 5 or so with the Protrancer... d'oh.

So as it stands now, I can beat him (still blowing through 2-3 scapes, my fault) but it's pretty slow. I think maybe a couple days of spamming the ground bullet for the bow would be worth it. It's been forever since I made any attempt at levelling bow PAs.

The high % armor works nicely, but finding a good buy on 44+% lightning 8*-10* armor with head/body slots have been a beyotch. I don't have the name in from of me, but I believe the 46% shield I bought yesterday is 8* and has only head/arm/extra- meaning I just hope not to get stunned. It was still much better than the 34% 9* I had with the body slot.

After I get this down, it's going to be time to head for the hive.... damn, definitely the hardest I've tried so far.

Talise
May 31, 2008, 12:47 AM
if you dun have ground cards another highly leveled up card bullet will do too.