PDA

View Full Version : Car vs. Cliff

Jared_T
May 29, 2008, 10:10 PM
Well I spent 9hrs in the emergency room on Tuesday
I was headed to Yosemite to do some work on a customers network on the way I was going through a turn and lost traction due to loose gravel on the road and I was instantly falling down a 500+ foot cliff. I only made it about half way down before a tree stopped me. The car rolled, more like it somersaulted, several times and threw the contents of my car down the side of the mountain. Which included several customer PCs, 1000ft of Cat5e, my laptop, and cable testing equipment. Thank God I did this in front of a wilderness rescue teem headed the opposite direction and they saw the whole thing. And I was taken to the Local hospital in roughly 30 mins. The hospital's x-rays showed I had a broken neck and they believed that I had a broken ankle as well. So I was air lifted to Modesto and as there equipment couldn't read the first hospitals X-ray cds they took there own CT scans. And after I was x-rayed from head to foot I was down graded from having a broken ankle and neck to just some very bad bumps and bruises.

Here is what my car looked like.
Nissan before (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-Trucks___05-Sentra-SE-R-specV-Red-Only-10k-miles-ABS-no-Civic-SI_W0QQitemZ110256304355QQddnZCarsQ20Q26Q20TrucksQ QddiZ2282QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item110256304355&) (not my car but it looked just like this)
Nissan after (http://www.outlawed-sleep-productions.com/wreck.html) (my car, pictures taken today 05/29/08 )

Zorafim
May 29, 2008, 10:28 PM
Wow. Congratulations for being alive after that. I hope you recover quickly and don't have any crippling injuries. That blow to the neck seems like it may hinder you for a while.

Split
May 29, 2008, 10:31 PM
.......wow. You sir, are now a certified badass for surviving that.

concussionman
May 29, 2008, 10:38 PM
dang.....just......um......dang!

you are damn lucky/"certified badass"

Shattered_weasel
May 30, 2008, 02:01 AM
Did the network get fixed?

Nai_Calus
May 30, 2008, 03:39 AM
Holy crap. Congrats on not being dead. O_o;

Sord
May 30, 2008, 08:20 AM
Shit J, glad you didn't die. That's just... geez, I couldn't even imagine.

amtalx
May 30, 2008, 01:19 PM
You have bones of adamantium...except for the neck and ankle thing. Congrats on giving the reaper the finger.

HeartBreak301
May 30, 2008, 01:58 PM
Dude you could probably take on Chuck Norris after surviving that.

Vanzazikon
May 30, 2008, 02:08 PM
You are very lucky, I knew friends and relatives that had been seriously hurt or killed from car or traffic accidents. I know how hard car accidents are. The only unlucky thing is, your car is totally destroyed! Good luck getting it fixed or a new one. :D

Jared_T
May 30, 2008, 02:57 PM
Thanks everyone for your concerns it was a rather scary day.

Did the network get fixed?
Well the network wasn't really down I just needed to drop another line, and deliver a Dell I was fixing for them. Which I will need to fix again...

You have bones of adamantium...except for the neck and ankle thing. Congrats on giving the reaper the finger.
Thanks, and as my neck and ankle are not broken, I'm sure the adamantite should be there as well once we check the X-Ray. :D

Dude you could probably take on Chuck Norris after surviving that.
I don't think I want to push my luck on that one. I think I've used it all...

Neith
May 30, 2008, 03:02 PM
I'd say congratulations on surviving, but that just sounds, well, wrong. Let's just say 'glad it wasn't any worse'.Especially that it doesn't seem you're too badly injured, which is amazing considering what happened.

The car looks like a total write-off though, which is a shame- hopefully you can get covered for it or something.

HUnewearl_Meira
May 30, 2008, 03:46 PM
The car looks like a total write-off though, which is a shame- hopefully you can get covered for it or something.

Yeah, that sort of damage doesn't get fixed. The fact is that he's done half of the wrecking yard's job for them. This sort of thing is precisely why GAP coverage is an excellent investment.

What boggles me is that Kira was the last to leave to go to the hospital, but still the first to arrive.

Shiro_Ryuu
May 30, 2008, 03:54 PM
Man, congrats for surviving. You really are a badass. I give you every ounce of my respect for going through that.

Eihwaz
May 30, 2008, 04:29 PM
I guess we've found the most durable person on PSOW. :wacko:

Props for surviving, though I'm sorry your car and other stuff was ruined.

Jared_T
May 30, 2008, 04:54 PM
I've started looking for a reasonably priced laptop. Like my car, I liked my old one, but neither will work again. However I have recovered all the data from the laptop hard drive. It was squealing and smoking but I got it.

SubstanceD
Jun 1, 2008, 01:58 PM
:-oJesus Christ!:-o

Your story sounded pretty horrific and the pictures of your car are proof of just how bad it could have all turned out.

I'm glad you managed to escape relatively unharmed ( although I'm sure your pretty badly shaken up ).