PDA

View Full Version : I just was wondering this

Weeaboolits
Jun 3, 2008, 11:26 AM
In the US, when you come to a red light, unless there is a sign saying otherwise, you are allowed to turn right.

Now my question is this:

In a country where you drive in the left lane, would you be allowed to turn left on a stop?

beatrixkiddo
Jun 3, 2008, 11:32 AM
I don't think everywhere in the US does that. Only the cool places ;o

Out_Kast
Jun 3, 2008, 11:33 AM
I don't know if you have these in the US, but we (in the UK, where we drive on the left) have green arrows sometimes on the bottom of traffic lights. We can only turn away from the stop in the direction the arrow points, but only when it's lit up.
We're not allowed to go anywhere at a stop, unless we get a green arrow.

Edit: I don't know if this applies to other Left-lane countries, though...

stukasa
Jun 3, 2008, 11:49 AM
I don't know if you have these in the US, but we (in the UK, where we drive on the left) have green arrows sometimes on the bottom of traffic lights. We can only turn away from the stop in the direction the arrow points, but only when it's lit up.
We have those in the U.S. too, they're not everywhere but some places have them. However, there's a traffic rule in the U.S. that says you can turn right from the slow lane at a red light unless specified otherwise. Some places have a "no right turn at red" sign, otherwise you can treat the red light like a stop sign (cross traffic has the right of way, of course!).

UnderscoreX
Jun 3, 2008, 11:54 AM
There are certain extra special lanes at certain extra special intersections here that have signs saying "Turn left with care" where you can turn left red light or not, with care. But as for regular traffic intersections, no you can't.

Edit: Australia btw.

Blitzkommando
Jun 3, 2008, 12:06 PM
In the US you can turn left on a red light onto a one way street.

There are two signs you may see associated with right turn lanes. One is the aforementioned "No turn on red" but the other is a bit different, "No turn on red except curb lane" which means that only the curb right turn lane can turn. You'll see that where there are two or more right turn lanes.

Larian
Jun 4, 2008, 10:20 PM
Lots of other countries have roudabouts as well...They just keep driving in a circle till they get to the opening they want...

VanHalen
Jun 4, 2008, 10:26 PM
I don't think everywhere in the US does that. Only the cool places ;o

Yeah in New York City(not sure in the whole state) you can't turn right on red unless there is a sign saying you can. Down the street from me in Long Island you can turn right on red unless there is a sign saying you can't. The most lollerific ones say

NO RIGHT ON RED
When Pedestrians are crossing

Sexy_Raine
Jun 6, 2008, 01:20 AM
Depends where you're at. Some places let you turn right on red, as in treat it like a stop sign. Other places don't.

Larian
Jun 6, 2008, 01:57 AM
The Illinois Rules of the Road book states that you can only turn left on red, if you are turning from a one-way street onto another one-way street.