PDA

View Full Version : GC Memory card corruptions

Mark87
Jun 4, 2008, 08:24 AM
This is mostly gamecube related. I was just wondering what causes those memory card corruptions that delete your PSO characters and how do u prevent them?

Rob19
Jun 4, 2008, 08:59 AM
they can happen several ways, but the most common one is FSOD while the game is saving, or the power is turned off while saving. the memory card could just die out on you, or there could be a buildup of dust in the card. the latter can be fixed easy using a q-tip. the others, well, you'd have to backup your memory card data onto your computer. there is a way to do it, but you need a router, and the instructions on how to do it (which idk ><)

Zos
Jun 4, 2008, 09:14 AM
You dont necessarily need a router, a usb memory card works just fine.

AlexCraig
Jun 4, 2008, 11:57 AM
Just any USB mem card? Or do I need a specific one?

Rob19
Jun 4, 2008, 11:58 AM
You dont necessarily need a router, a usb memory card works just fine.

does it still save your data if its corrupted? >>

AlexCraig
Jun 4, 2008, 12:12 PM
Please explain this to me! This could REALLY benefit me! XD

3---Hit---U
Jun 7, 2008, 09:57 PM
Me too XD

VioletSkye
Jun 7, 2008, 10:05 PM
Back in the day (before shop dupe) the USB memory card was used to dupe items and save chars. It's also great for transferring snapshots to your pc so you can use PSO Proxy to turn them into png files.

http://www.hkems.com/m_main.htm

The utility Rob19 was speaking of is called GCS and it basically saves the info of your Nintendo memory card to your pc harddrive. Works well, but the USB memory card is better and faster.

PSOPRINCE
Jun 8, 2008, 07:17 AM
hmmm usuful to sorta backup your characters
two questions
1. where can i get a usb memory thing
2. does it workwith a mac

disune
Jun 8, 2008, 09:16 PM
Hmm I've actually had that happen to me ^ ^ My brother got pissed and slammed the lid down. The weird thing was, is that the power wasn't even on...

Taleck
Jun 8, 2008, 10:27 PM
I would get that mainly for the Pics I don't know how to do the backup. But once I get one, Rob can you help me out?

Rob19
Jun 8, 2008, 10:35 PM
I would get that mainly for the Pics I don't know how to do the backup. But once I get one, Rob can you help me out?

LOL i honestly don't know much about it, captain N knows (basically if not) everything about it. talk to him ;)

Taleck
Jun 8, 2008, 10:48 PM
k I figured he would know. He's like some crazy genious. Or he just get's bored alot.

I'll go ask my mommy if I can play really quick to do that trade.

VioletSkye
Jun 9, 2008, 10:02 AM
Heh, there isn't much to know about it. You connect it to your pc and run the Saver Favorite program it comes with (GCZHUP.exe) and from there you can do backups, restores etc. Make sure to use/download the latest version of the software which is 2.1. That's pretty much all there is to it lol.

Valis
Jun 9, 2008, 12:48 PM
I'm on PSO+ and I really want to be able to backup my saves with this, but what's this bit in the Q&A trying to say? Does it mean I can only back up if I stay offline?

"Q6: I have just bought your company's GC 64M USB Memory Adaptor. When playing Phantasy Star Online, I can save on Memory adaptor but not backup on the computer. Is it that the product does not support this game?

A: Our GC USB Memory Adaptor 64M can play “Phantasy Star Online” offline mode and online mode can be save/edit on our card. If you save online mode onto the PC and edit then save on our GC USB Memory Adaptor 64M and then play online, your save will be destroyed. This is because this type of online game will keep a part of your record on the Internet. If the record is not the same as last time, the save will be destroyed and you won’t be able to use it again. So, you can only save like normal but not edit or backup data. If you save the offline mode game on the PC and save to GC USB Memory Adaptor 64M it will be normal. However, the three original PSO game records cannot be deleted or moved. Only overwrite is possible, you cannot save onto any other GC USB Memory Adaptor 64M.

(!!!If the GC USB Memory Adaptor 64M is formatted or newly used, the game save cannot be used!!!)"

VioletSkye
Jun 9, 2008, 03:30 PM
That's not entirely correct. I know what it is they are trying to explain but it isn't 100% accurate. I bought my USB card to use with PSOW back in 2003 (5 years ago lol) and have experimented with it quite a bit. Here is how it works and if you have questions after this, let me know and I'll try to clarify.

First of all, you will need to create a new char on the USB Memory card to play with (you can't transfer your old save file/chars from your Nintendo card onto it unfortunately.)

You can freely backup your save and play online and offline with no issues.

If something should happen and you need to recover your character file then you will be able to play offline without any problems, BUT if you attempt to go online with it, it will give you an error about the character info being corrupted. What happens next is that it will wipe out your inventory, wipeout any stats gained through materials, and wipeout any C-Mode stuff you've done. You will be left with your characters level that you left off with and his/her base stats for that level.

HOWEVER, there is kind of a workaround you can do to at least save your items. Before going online with a recovered char, start in offline multiplayer and give all of your inventory items to another char to keep safe. THEN, go ahead and go online with the recovered char and let it give you the error and wipe out the rest of your stuff (material stats, C-Mode info) and after that it will allow you back online without any more errors. Now go back into offline multiplayer and transfer his/her items back from the holding char and you can continue to go online without any further problems.

The downside (as I mentioned) is that any stats gained through material usage will be permanently lost as will any C-Mode info, BUT you will at least keep your character's level and (using the workaround) keep your character's items.

Hope that helps :D

If anyone needs help with how to transfer screenshots to your harddrive and use PSO Proxy to convert them into png image files that you can post, let me know.

Lance813
Jun 9, 2008, 03:52 PM
So many corruptions so little time...

Taleck
Jun 9, 2008, 10:26 PM
Heh, there isn't much to know about it. You connect it to your pc and run the Saver Favorite program it comes with (GCZHUP.exe) and from there you can do backups, restores etc. Make sure to use/download the latest version of the software which is 2.1. That's pretty much all there is to it lol.

What if I'm on PSO+? Does that change anything?

Valis
Jun 10, 2008, 02:03 AM
Thanks VioletSkye that's really helpful.

Ketchup345
Jun 10, 2008, 09:55 AM
What if I'm on PSO+? Does that change anything?PSO+ has no differences for the US version.

Taleck
Jun 10, 2008, 12:17 PM
PSO+ has no differences for the US version.

score, thanks Ketchup. Now to find someway to buy it......

Mark87
Jun 10, 2008, 03:14 PM
so complicated... how do u guys figure this out?!?!? Geez my brain hurts... ^^;

Taleck
Jun 10, 2008, 03:17 PM
so complicated... how do u guys figure this out?!?!? Geez my brain hurts... ^^;

figure what out? do you have one or something?

Ithildin
Jun 10, 2008, 07:49 PM
Mem card corruptions were pure evil. Strange how when my mem card corrupted (happened three times) I just carried on. Really we didn't seem to have much choice at the time. I was greatly helped by friends tho. That's the beauty of PSO, its a team game. When you have good pals to help you out you seem to pull through.

VioletSkye
Jun 10, 2008, 07:52 PM
I kinda lucked out. Even though I had my USB memory card, I kept most of my chars on a regular Nintendo card and thankfully I never corrupted except for one time when my nephew turned the GC off while it was saving. Other than that I played for years with no corruptions. 8-)