PDA

View Full Version : R-Type Commander for PSP is stupidly awesome

panzer_unit
Jun 5, 2008, 03:39 PM
has anybody else got this game?

Dragwind
Jun 5, 2008, 03:56 PM
Didn't know about it, but its R-Type, so I'm sure I'd love it.

amtalx
Jun 5, 2008, 04:03 PM
I don't have it, but it would be nice to use my PSP for something other than a MP3 player.

Monochrome
Jun 5, 2008, 05:54 PM
I kinda gave up on it when it got more or less universally bad reviews... this is the first I've heard of it being good.. I'll have to check it out -- as I am still trying to justify owning my PSP post-Crisis Core

Toadthroat
Jun 5, 2008, 06:26 PM
I kinda gave up on it when it got more or less universally bad reviews... this is the first I've heard of it being good.. I'll have to check it out -- as I am still trying to justify owning my PSP post-Crisis Core

Are you serious? If you can't find any good games for PSP, you're not looking hard enough.

panzer_unit
Jun 6, 2008, 08:58 AM
I kinda gave up on it when it got more or less universally bad reviews... this is the first I've heard of it being good..

Game journalism was never very reliable, but it's gone far downhill over the last few years since magazines got caught taking money for good reviews and (I guess) it didn't result in anything worse than a couple zingers from Penny Arcade. If a game's paid off, it gets a good score and the article hypes all the positive features while mentioning the worst ones out of fairness. If a game's not paid off, it gets a lower score and the article mentions the best parts while crapping endlessly about the bad.

Worse yet, game reviewers really need to fucking lern2play. The stupidity of some of the gameplay related issues is off the scale especially in a goddamn strategy game where using your units with some skill is literally all there is to do. The one review - insomniac? - that I read is the absolute worst. I finish a mission in ten turns on average, more if I'm catassing with mining and searching for hidden battle rewards, but apparently this guy runs into the 35-turn limit all the time. In one paragraph he's whining about how easy it is to lose some good ships on first contact and how the gameplay is so quicksave/reload intensive, in the next he's complaing about how you keep ships and pilots when they get wiped out in a mission... why would he care, he's reloading the game every time he loses an important ship.

If you want another good PSP game, Wipeout Pulse. It's amazing on its own, and has just about every feature a PSP is capable of... adhoc and infrastructure multiplayer, game sharing, downloadable content, custom playlists.