PDA

View Full Version : Must Have DS Games

Toadthroat
Jun 6, 2008, 04:43 PM
Alright you read the thread title. Post some must have DS games for me to get for my brand new Crimson/Black DSL.

Out_Kast
Jun 6, 2008, 04:47 PM
Pheonix Wright.
Yep. All of them.

I like FF:CC - Ring of Fates, but that's just personal taste.

Toadthroat
Jun 6, 2008, 04:49 PM
Ya know, I played a few episodes of the first 1 and enjoyed it. But the investigation sequences are so friggen tedious that I put the game down. It takes like 30 mins of talking and random clickin around. The real fun is in the court room but those sequences are so short compared to the investigating.

Out_Kast
Jun 6, 2008, 04:52 PM
I guess you have to love story-driving games to appreciate them fully.
Great fun, though.

Aisha_Clan-Clan
Jun 6, 2008, 04:59 PM
1. Sonic Rush
2. Sonic Rush Adventure
4. Feel the Magic XY XX
5. Super Mario 64 DS
6. Metroid Prime Hunters- First Hunt (Demo)
7. Super Princess Peach

AlexCraig
Jun 6, 2008, 05:06 PM
MarioKart DS
Zelda Phantom Hourglass
Final Fantasy III
Animal Crossing Wild World (Doubt you'd like it, but eh.)

Monochrome
Jun 6, 2008, 05:13 PM
my fave's in order:

Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow
Castlevania Portrait of Ruin
Sonic Rush Adventure
Tetris (seriously, most fun version of this game ever)
New Super Mario Bros
Nintendogs ... ...... ............. .. . what? it's fun...

Out_Kast
Jun 6, 2008, 05:44 PM
Nintendogs ... ...... ............. .. . what? it's fun...

I think it's a lot of fun to grab a jump rope and watch a dog jump into it, then get launched away at a high speed because I swing it too fast :wacko:

Toadthroat
Jun 6, 2008, 06:01 PM
Oh ya, btw guys. I already have AC:WW, Pokemans Diamond, both Castlevanias, and Mario 64.
Let me know if you wanna battle in pokemans or mess around in AC, and keep the recommendations coming.

Wyndham
Jun 6, 2008, 06:08 PM
Lunar Knights

beatrixkiddo
Jun 6, 2008, 06:19 PM
the only DS games I got and I feel were worth the money are

Band Brothers Daigasso (import)
Elite Beat Agents
Mario Kart DS
Pokemon D/P

Etrean Odyssey is ok but I wouldn't recommend it simply because it's so anti-casual.

Nitro Vordex
Jun 6, 2008, 06:34 PM
StarFox Command. (not much replay value unfortunatley, plus I think there's haxxorz on wifi)
Megaman Starforce. (It's interesting, but easy.)
One of the RE games.

Toadthroat
Jun 6, 2008, 07:12 PM
the only DS games I got and I feel were worth the money are

Band Brothers Daigasso (import)
Elite Beat Agents
Mario Kart DS

Etrean Odyssey is ok but I wouldn't recommend it simply because it's so anti-casual.

I played Etrian Odyssey and loved it.

Kylie
Jun 6, 2008, 07:28 PM
I have Resident Evil DS, Mario 64... DS, and Pokemon Pearl.

Yeah, I need to get some more. >_>;

NPCMook
Jun 6, 2008, 07:44 PM
No one even mentions The World Ends With You? >.>; what!?

beatrixkiddo
Jun 6, 2008, 07:47 PM
I played Etrian Odyssey and loved it.

I liked it, but like I said it's anti-casual. It's not a recommendation I'd just throw at someone unless I knew they were into RPGs with a heavy focus on micromanagement and grinding.

Weeaboolits
Jun 6, 2008, 08:19 PM
No one even mentions The World Ends With You? >.>; what!?I was surprised how many posts went by without mention of it too.

Eihwaz
Jun 6, 2008, 10:15 PM
I'd recommend Tetris DS, Elite Beat Agents, and Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow.

Nitro Vordex
Jun 6, 2008, 10:26 PM
I have Resident Evil DS, Mario 64... DS, and Pokemon Pearl.

Yeah, I need to get some more. >_>;

That's two more games than I have. .-.;

Kent
Jun 6, 2008, 10:55 PM
The World Ends with You is easily the best game on the DS.

Easily.

Not playing it is a crime against creativity in the industry... Unless, of course, it's sold out wherever available (which has been the case for some, recently). Not only is the storyline of the game pretty epic (I finished it at the 133 hour mark... But apparently, mingling counts toward that), but there's a ton of stuff still left to do after the game is over. My first nominate for Game of the Year, for sure.

Other required reading includes Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow (Portrait of Ruin isn't nearly as good), Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword, and Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass.

Eihwaz
Jun 6, 2008, 11:10 PM
The World Ends with You is easily the best game on the DS.

Easily.

Not playing it is a crime against creativity in the industry... Unless, of course, it's sold out wherever available (which has been the case for some, recently). Not only is the storyline of the game pretty epic (I finished it at the 133 hour mark... But apparently, mingling counts toward that), but there's a ton of stuff still left to do after the game is over. My first nominate for Game of the Year, for sure.

Other required reading includes Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow (Portrait of Ruin isn't nearly as good), Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword, and Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass.How is Dragon Sword? I've been addicted to Black again lately, so my interest in murdering tons of dudes with Ryu is quite high.

NG: DS and The World Ends With You are about the only DS games I have any interest in buying at this point, and my interest in TWEWY has subdued a lot since I've realized how most critically hailed JRPGs tend to fall on deaf ears with me.

Solstis
Jun 6, 2008, 11:46 PM
How is Dragon Sword? I've been addicted to Black again lately, so my interest in murdering tons of dudes with Ryu is quite high.

NG: DS and The World Ends With You are about the only DS games I have any interest in buying at this point, and my interest in TWEWY has subdued a lot since I've realized how most critically hailed JRPGs tend to fall on deaf ears with me.

It's okay, the last JRPG I liked (loved) was Skies of Arcadia, and honestly, I probably couldn't get through ten minutes of that game now.

I get enough generic environmentalist/humanist subtext from manga and anime, thankyouverymuch. Considering that Ghost in the Shell: Innocence was the apex of both philosophical trains of thought (and a bit of a mess, a lovely mess, really), I'm pretty much done with the whole bit. That doesn't mean that I don't like Japanese games, just not JRPGSs, though I'm sure something will eventually catch my attention again.

Er, yes, I back up the votes for Tetris and Castlevania: DoS, since you already have Pokemon.

Toadthroat
Jun 6, 2008, 11:49 PM
I already have both Castlevanias.

Monochrome
Jun 7, 2008, 12:41 AM
I forgot to mention Mario Kart DS, as it almost goes without saying. Kind of a given..

Toadthroat
Jun 7, 2008, 02:24 AM
I tried Mario Kart DS but got tired of people snaking online.

Sord
Jun 7, 2008, 02:40 AM
I'm another one for The World Ends With You. I generally don't like DS games, I have a natural bias against them (the only reason I have one is it was a gift,) because, well, I dunno, I just do. I don't like the DS. But I loved this game, I hit 20-30 playing hours easy, which is a lot coming from not just a handheld, but one I dislike. The difficulty settings allow you to pretty much set it to anywhere from lame casual gamer to hardcore player, so it's not an issue. Being an RPG though, expect a lot of reading of course. After you've beaten the game and if you want to replay it, it will allow you to speed through the speech cinemas though.

AC9breaker
Jun 7, 2008, 03:35 AM
The world Ends with you isn't half bad. interesting Plot to say the least.
My Reco's are
Both Castlvania Games
Mario Kart DS
Pokemon D/P
All the Ace Attorney Games.
Trauma Center.
Elite Beat Agents (only if you have a wide taste in music)

However if I where you though, I would totally skip out on Zelda Phantom Hourglass. Same old Zelda plot, boring/easy boss fights. Boring/easy Dungeon puzzles. fucking stupid game design in where I must go through a Dungeon I already beat a jillion times for a reason not good enough warranting the repeated action. Unless you're some die hard Zelda fan avoid at all cost. In retrospect it's quite a shitty game.

Kent
Jun 7, 2008, 03:14 PM
How is Dragon Sword? I've been addicted to Black again lately, so my interest in murdering tons of dudes with Ryu is quite high.

Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword is a very fun game, and very well-done as an action game that only uses the touchscreen ("Press any button to block." and the start/select for menus... And that's it). It manages to keep up the pace in combat, just like Ninja Gaiden and Ninja Gaiden II.

A lot of people will probably be discerned by the fact that you do basically everything via the touchscreen, especially for a game that relies on reflexes and precision... But this will probably end up working better than most DS games could, as the touchscreen controls are nothing short of intuitive.

As for The World Ends with You... Well, I'll put it this way:

Yahtzee reviewed the game, and through his immense hatred of correctly-done RPGsJRPGs, the review was suprisingly not-negative, compared to what one would expect.

SubstanceD
Jun 7, 2008, 03:29 PM
New Super Mario Bros
Pokemon Diamond/Pearl ( if you are into those type of games )

Feelmirath
Jun 7, 2008, 03:55 PM
Ace Attourney series, Tetris DS, Mario Kart DS, New Super Mario Bros. and Mario & Luigi: Partners In Time (despite it's lack of replay value) are great games imo.

I have to say I was disappointed in Starfox Command, even though I am a huge Starfox fan.

And I'd like to try that Crystal Chronicles game, will have to pick that up at some point.