PDA

View Full Version : PA Update

Complex_Jao
Jun 6, 2008, 03:22 PM
i dont feel like it helped much...ibought a band new PA (rifle) and used it for one run and it lvled like 2 times wtf...i thought it would be more than that

PALRAPPYS
Jun 6, 2008, 03:23 PM
lol

That's very good for a rifle. Did you know that?

RegulusHikari
Jun 6, 2008, 03:24 PM
ST forgot to add the disclaimer:

Bullet PAs will not level every time the gun is fired.

QQ MORE BAI
That is all.

Kylie
lol

That's very good for a rifle. Did you know that?
Yeah, what did you expect? :-?

EMPYREAN
trust me it helps ALOT when it comes to rifle PA. if u think this is slow then u would have had nightmares if u experienced the old speed.

Rambo!
Jun 6, 2008, 03:25 PM
let me guess you have never levels a bullet before

PALRAPPYS
Jun 6, 2008, 03:28 PM
ST forgot to add the disclaimer:

Bullet PAs will not level every time the gun is fired.

QQ MORE BAI
That is all.

That's almost sig worthy.

It's so true though. Everyone thinks bullet PAs will be 1337-h4x speed to level. :roll:

desturel
i dont feel like it helped much...ibought a band new PA (rifle) and used it for one run and it lvled like 2 times wtf...i thought it would be more than that

Wow. Guess you've only played a hunter previously? Leveling two times in a run is really good.

Jose!
Note: Rifles are not Melee PA's, they will not level every other room.

Complex_Jao
Jun 6, 2008, 03:31 PM
let me guess you have never levels a bullet before i have a 35 dark shot 13 grav shot 11 frozen shot and 6 burning and plasma shot its just i feel like the lvl at the same speed but idk maybe a little faster

Mikura
Jun 6, 2008, 03:51 PM
I think your expectations for the PA exp rebalance was just way too high. You won't get 31 in a day, but they still lvl a hell of a lot better than they did before.

Iduno
Jun 6, 2008, 03:55 PM
WTF people still want PAs to level even faster?!

Has the OP ever even touched another RPG in his life?

amtalx
Jun 6, 2008, 04:11 PM
2 levels in one run...and you are disappointed?

GTFO

Iduno
Jun 6, 2008, 04:17 PM

GTFO

Is this your 1st encounter with the enemy of all gamers who desire a challenge? (aka. the casual gamer)

If so prepare to meet sooo many more the way segac is going

Indica
Jun 6, 2008, 05:07 PM

Your on crack. I LV my Confuse Rifle Bullets from LV27-31 in 4 runs and Silence Rifle Bullets 30-31 in less then 2 runs.

Complex_Jao
Jun 6, 2008, 09:06 PM
I think your expectations for the PA exp rebalance was just way too high. You won't get 31 in a day, but they still lvl a hell of a lot better than they did before.

its not that I had too high of expectations its just i recall bullets always lvling at this rate...i know im wrong but i dont remember ever thinking bullets lvled slowly

GTFO
from what i remember a PA that started at lv1 at the beginning of a run would lvl up 2 times by the end

SonicTMP
Jun 6, 2008, 09:09 PM
You're expecting a major differance with little play time. Play for a week or so and watch your PA leveling. You need some time to notice a differance, not 1-5 runs.

ashley50
Jun 6, 2008, 09:17 PM
When it was levelling slow...Players complains.

Now its levelling fast...still Complains?

WTF IS THIS S^&*?!

stukasa
Jun 6, 2008, 09:21 PM
I noticed an increase in the leveling speed of all my PAs. I hardly used my Burn Shot level 30 and it went up 10%! Before the update it would have gone up maybe 3%. I don't know about you but I'd call that a pretty big boost!

Micro
Jun 6, 2008, 09:22 PM
The amount of BAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWW coming from this update in amazing.

Just because they made them faster doesn't mean everything will level like LOLMAJARRA.

Complex_Jao
Jun 6, 2008, 09:29 PM
When it was levelling slow...Players complains.

Now its levelling fast...still Complains?

WTF IS THIS S^&*?! look im not complaining im just stating what i feel about the update so far and from what others are saying i need to give it more time

ThEoRy
Jun 6, 2008, 09:34 PM
apparently 3 X faster is just not enough for some of the little kiddies.

Complex_Jao
Jun 6, 2008, 09:41 PM
apparently 3 X faster is just not enough for some of the little kiddies.

i does not seem like 3x faster to me and did i ever say "make it faster"...no because idc...i never thought bullets ever lvled slow and i dont now

Magus_84
Jun 7, 2008, 02:27 AM
I got Yak Riga from level 2 to level 18 today. That's something that'd normally take me several days to a week, depending on how much I can play.

I <3 this update so much.

Blitzkommando
Jun 7, 2008, 02:35 AM
Wait, what? Not fast enough? I leveled up a PA in twice in the span two rooms today. I knew it would be faster, but that is just insane how much faster.

Darkly
Jun 7, 2008, 08:55 AM
i does not seem like 3x faster to me and did i ever say "make it faster"...no because idc...i never thought bullets ever lvled slow and i dont now

regardless of how you feel, the update increased the exp rate 3 times, your perceptions are probably off.

Weeaboolits
Jun 7, 2008, 06:01 PM
Bows and cards level awesomely now, try playing with those if rifles are too slow for you. ;o

Nitro Vordex
Jun 7, 2008, 06:36 PM
A complaining soldier is a happy soldier.

MaybeOr so I've heard.

Mystil
Jun 8, 2008, 03:37 PM
WHEN I PULL MY GUNS OUT I EXPECT TO GAIN LVLS JUST BY SWITCHING WEAPONS!!!

=o

Nitro Vordex
Jun 8, 2008, 04:17 PM
Wouldn't that be an interesting hack.

OH WAIT NO HACKING ALLOWED OLO.

Zarode
Jun 8, 2008, 07:58 PM
Imagine this three times slower. ;/ Fortegunners had it worse then you guys imagine it.

amtalx
Jun 9, 2008, 10:55 AM
its not that I had too high of expectations its just i recall bullets always lvling at this rate...i know im wrong but i dont remember ever thinking bullets lvled slowly

from what i remember a PA that started at lv1 at the beginning of a run would lvl up 2 times by the end

You remember a different game?

rogue_robot
Jun 9, 2008, 01:50 PM
Is this your 1st encounter with the enemy of all gamers who desire a challenge? (aka. the casual gamer)

If so prepare to meet sooo many more the way segac is going

As a "casual gamer," I rather take offense to that! The lack of adequate challenges in this game (and SEGAC's constant hunting down and removing any that used to exist) irritates me too! I personally wish SEGAC would figure out that "casual" =/= "easy," even if the two are indirectly related (as casual implies a certain time limit for any single task lacking breaks, which does not include gradually leveling anything). (Normally, when I think "casual" v. "hardcore," I think of "you own the game" v. "the game owns you.")

Aaanyway... My biggest gripe with PA leveling speeds? The fact that any disparity exists between PAs whatsoever. IMO, each successful use of a PA (no matter how many targets it successfully affects, as long as there is at least one) should contribute exactly one experience point toward leveling the PA, and all PAs should require exactly the same amount of experience to achieve any given level. I've never felt messing with experience growth was a good way to balance anything in an RPG - not with D&D's XP costs on certain spells (if it's that bad, bump it up one or two spell levels or remove it entirely), and still not with PSU and SEGAC's second-guessing how fast PAs might level, based likely on theoretical (and 100% idealistic) situations for leveling said PA.

My reasoning - experience manipulations cause one (or more) party member(s) to "fall behind" - because one person needs more experience points than the rest of the group, that person's abilities don't grow in line with the group's, thus not only frustrating said individual, but also making them a burden on the whole party. In PSU, this can be remedied somewhat by extensive soloing apart from one's usual group, though I find this a rather non-optimal solution. I don't think certain job types should require a more "hardcore" mentality - and more playtime - than others. That's what rares and other job-independent rewards are for.

Iduno
Jun 9, 2008, 03:01 PM
As a "casual gamer," I rather take offense to that! The lack of adequate challenges in this game (and SEGAC's constant hunting down and removing any that used to exist) irritates me too! I personally wish SEGAC would figure out that "casual" =/= "easy," even if the two are indirectly related (as casual implies a certain time limit for any single task lacking breaks, which does not include gradually leveling anything). (Normally, when I think "casual" v. "hardcore," I think of "you own the game" v. "the game owns you.")

Aaanyway... My biggest gripe with PA leveling speeds? The fact that any disparity exists between PAs whatsoever. IMO, each successful use of a PA (no matter how many targets it successfully affects, as long as there is at least one) should contribute exactly one experience point toward leveling the PA, and all PAs should require exactly the same amount of experience to achieve any given level. I've never felt messing with experience growth was a good way to balance anything in an RPG - not with D&D's XP costs on certain spells (if it's that bad, bump it up one or two spell levels or remove it entirely), and still not with PSU and SEGAC's second-guessing how fast PAs might level, based likely on theoretical (and 100% idealistic) situations for leveling said PA.

My reasoning - experience manipulations cause one (or more) party member(s) to "fall behind" - because one person needs more experience points than the rest of the group, that person's abilities don't grow in line with the group's, thus not only frustrating said individual, but also making them a burden on the whole party. In PSU, this can be remedied somewhat by extensive soloing apart from one's usual group, though I find this a rather non-optimal solution. I don't think certain job types should require a more "hardcore" mentality - and more playtime - than others. That's what rares and other job-independent rewards are for.

I have to disagre with your 2nd and 3rd paragraphs

To start with although I dont think PAs should level at a rate based on hits/targets I also dont think they should all level the same. The way I think it should work is for them to level based on how strong the PA is so stronger PAs should be harder to level and the weaker ones easier (that way the hardcore can earn their more powerfull PAs to set them aside for damage but casuals can still get their quick fix) (and it would also make less cookie cutter majara + jabroga builds and give more variety)

Also I believe job types should require differing levels of skill to play well (although they dont with easymode) as it would provide a challenge and make the people who can master the classes requireing more skill sought after for partys while, again giving the casuals their quick fix

edit: Yess the forum now prevents wii induced double posts ^_^

rogue_robot
Jun 9, 2008, 03:51 PM
Eh, as long as each job type has both slow and fast leveling PAs, I'd be cool with it.

I just don't like that, being a more casual player, I get pidgeonholed into certain playstyles (namely, in PSU, those of the HUnter persuasion, not my favorite) if I want to be decently effective at the job without sacrificing life and soul to the game. If there were "hardcore" and "casual" versions of each playstyle (offering additional rewards to those who take the "hardcore" version which aren't actually necessary to the simple task of being able to complete a run with that playstyle), I wouldn't mind, but such is not the case.

"Casuals" don't get their "quick fix" when the game pidgeonholes them into something they hate (not that I hate playing the HUnter style, it just isn't my favorite).

As for differing amounts of skill involved, well, that's kind of a different debate. While some jobs will obviously require more skill than others, this doesn't necessarily mean they have to be more "hardcore" as well. It is no more an inconsistency to play such styles casually than it is to play chess casually - in my case, I like the cerebral element of such tactical job types, I just don't like the unnecessary mundane, hum-drum, thoughtless grind added on (in the form of trying to keep my PA levels up with those of HUnter-types of equal level) to remain effective at such job types as my character inevitably progresses in level.

Darkly
Jun 9, 2008, 03:59 PM
i really wish they never made you grind to level up pa's. I would have much preffered some kind of other system such as you get so many points to level up pa's instantly, but these points can be taken away and added etc. so you can customize or whatever and give it an rpg element.

Iduno
Jun 9, 2008, 04:18 PM
i really wish they never made you grind to level up pa's. I would have much preffered some kind of other system such as you get so many points to level up pa's instantly, but these points can be taken away and added etc. so you can customize or whatever and give it an rpg element.

TBH I think that would take away some of the freedom and customisation of different play styles as there would only be so many points to go around

The way it works now is you can basically do anything as long as you put the effort in, which is actualy a strong point to the game IMO.

Nitro Vordex
Jun 9, 2008, 04:49 PM
The effort is fine, it's just a lot of people are complaining it's slow.

And yet they say the game is too easy.

Make up your damn mind.

rogue_robot
Jun 9, 2008, 08:11 PM
@Darkly and Iduno: A properly-managed point system wouldn't be bad, IMO, in some other game. In PSU, however, it would make gunners and techers miserable, as - given that their PAs affect their attack element, unlike hunter-types - they'd have to run off to re-spec their PAs every time they move to an area with monsters of different elemental types. Either that, or everyone would have so many PA points that such a system wouldn't really have a point in the game anyway.

@Nitro: I can't answer for the others, but I said "too slow" and "too easy" because the PAs appear, IMO, to level too slowly (except skills), but "properly leveled" (in proportion to character level and the maximum permitted by the job type) PAs aren't really needed against most monsters anyway; without them, even the few that pose something of a real threat die eventually, and usually still without much of a fuss (this game has surprised me once in a while, just not consistently enough).

Noblewine
Jun 9, 2008, 11:33 PM
The PA rebalance has made the game less stressful. I actually like this and glad they did this

Tessu
Jun 9, 2008, 11:44 PM
The rebalance... I'm kinda unsure about. The bullet one was really useful and probably the tech one too (haven't tried techs yet), though I believe the skills were okay where they were. At least, MOST skills.

After all, it does make the game too easy. But at the same time, it balances it out. What with all the SUPER DUPER EXP events and shite, it was pretty easy to find a level 130 with >11 PAs. I don't know if that's better or worse than having someone who's played for 2 days have a high level and high PAs, though. Ah well. Just my two cents. :3

amtalx
Jun 10, 2008, 10:33 AM
After a long period of indecision and uncertainty, I have finally decided that this PA update is a miserable failure.

None of my bullets were low at the time so I bought a fresh Twin Freeze and headed to Plains Overlord. 45 minutes later I had a Lvl 14 bullet. ST has officially removed and sense of accomplishment this game EVER had. Leveling characters (before EXP hemhorraging events) and PAs used to be rewarding because it actually required a bit of time and dedication. Now these "milestones" are shotgun-blasted at us so quickly they have lost all meaning.

Iduno
Jun 10, 2008, 11:28 AM
After a long period of indecision and uncertainty, I have finally decided that this PA update is a miserable failure.

None of my bullets were low at the time so I bought a fresh Twin Freeze and headed to Plains Overlord. 45 minutes later I had a Lvl 14 bullet. ST has officially removed and sense of accomplishment this game EVER had. Leveling characters (before EXP hemhorraging events) and PAs used to be rewarding because it actually required a bit of time and dedication. Now these "milestones" are shotgun-blasted at us so quickly they have lost all meaning.

STOP READING MY MIND (seriously you got it dead on)

Weeaboolits
Jun 10, 2008, 11:53 AM
I rather like the boost, I haven't taken much sense of accomplishment in my PA levels, I'll be pleased when my techs get bigger, but what did I do? I just spammed sleeping warriors for 3 hours, nothing special at all.

I do have a little bit when I synth a weapon, though, it makes it feel more special when I made it myself.

amtalx
Jun 10, 2008, 12:43 PM
Don't get me wrong, a boost was necessary. Bullets were downright inhumane (I leveled every Rifle element + KS before the PA boost). However, this adjustment was WAAAAAAAAY too much. Some bullets and techs needed to be rebalaned, others were fine, Shotguns for example. I play maybe an hour a day now because its just so boring to have everything come at you in 20 minutes, and thats if I choose to sign in at all. Pacing and endgame content are critical in an ORPG. PSU has neither now (there was never any endgame content to begin with).

Skills shouldn't have been touched.
Not a single one.
Yes.
I know about Absolute Dance.