PDA

View Full Version : MGS4 scores a 9.9 out of 10

eXo
Jun 8, 2008, 03:12 AM
MGS4 scores a 9.9 out of 10 ! - Today, 08:10 AM
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/877/877611p3.html

play it, and enjoy a dazzling, heart-lifting, voyage of discovery.
IGN UK Ratings for Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (PS3)Rating Description
out of 10 click here for ratings guide

10 Presentation
From the opening videos to the end credits, the attention to detail throughout Guns of the Patriots is astonishing, setting new standards for production values in games.

10 Graphics
The visuals in MGS 4 are as cutting-edge as you can rightfully expect from the latest videogame blockbuster, boasting as much style as technical expertise.

10 Sound
The surround sound effects are stunning, having actual in-game effects, from using birdsong to detect enemies to choosing your own tunes.

10 Gameplay
Guns of the Patriots is the definitive MGS, taking stealth mechanics to new heights and throwing in so much more that you just have to discover it for yourself.

9.5 Lasting Appeal
Aside from the fact that the cut-scenes bear repeated viewing, you’ll want to play through MGS 4 again and again, simply to unlock ever more exotic weapons, items and player rankings.

Incredible OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

SubstanceD
Jun 8, 2008, 03:55 AM
As happy as I am that the game I am looking forward to playing the most is getting some love from IGN UK ( by the way that review has been up for almost a week so it is old news ), most of the other reviews for Metal gear solid 4 haven't been as kind. While most sources agree that it is the Ultimate Metal Gear game and that it is great, most scores seem to be in the high 80's -low 90's. Very depressing when you concider that GTA4 pretty much got perfect ratings from almost every single reviewer. I own GTA4 and that game isn't perfect.

Raine_Loire
Jun 8, 2008, 04:35 AM
Yeah, what's with that? If it's the ultimate metal gear game, and the old ones were pretty awesome, then this deserves high ratings all around, right? I 2nd your opinion of GTA4 not being perfect, I actually didn't enjoy it enough to even beat it. But I expect really good things from MGS4, and I've learned to not really care what reviews put out before the game is say, lol.

Shadowpawn
Jun 8, 2008, 09:36 AM
Most game reviewers are closet fanboys nowadays. Nobody reviews games without applying their own basis to it.

eXo
Jun 8, 2008, 12:53 PM
Yes everyone has their own I also agree that GTA4 bubbled a little more hype then it could deliver on kinda like Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. this was a fairly decent movie however from the amount of hype surrounding it you would have expected alot more.

Saner
Jun 8, 2008, 12:58 PM
just let us know when the cutscenes are all on youtube. :p

AC9breaker
Jun 8, 2008, 04:47 PM
This is why I prefer the non-numerical approach to video game ratings such as Yahtzee and Kotaku. They leave it up to you to decide based on the information presented. Numbers tend to cloud anything a reviewer has to say about the game and ultimately make the reader forget what praise was given to the game because it didn't meet the score they themselves had or note the faults of the game because it received such high scores. But this is why I really do like IGN reviews. While their number scoring is questionable, they actually do quite a good job giving an unbiased, in depth detailed review of the games.

eXo
Jun 8, 2008, 05:36 PM
This is why I prefer the non-numerical approach to video game ratings such as Yahtzee and Kotaku. They leave it up to you to decide based on the information presented. Numbers tend to cloud anything a reviewer has to say about the game and ultimately make the reader forget what praise was given to the game because it didn't meet the score they themselves had or note the faults of the game because it received such high scores. But this is why I really do like IGN reviews. While their number scoring is questionable, they actually do quite a good job giving an unbiased, in depth detailed review of the games.

Exactly

Toadthroat
Jun 8, 2008, 05:41 PM
just let us know when the cutscenes are all on youtube. :p
The ending is already posted on dailymotion. Its taking all my will power not to look at them. I caught a few minutes of the last boss battle, but then I X'd out.

eXo
Jun 8, 2008, 05:48 PM
The ending is already posted on dailymotion. Its taking all my will power not to look at them. I caught a few minutes of the last boss battle, but then I X'd out.

OMG you FAIL this is information that i didnt need to know because now i have yet another temptation to fight ...

Zantra
Jun 9, 2008, 01:53 PM
People still listen to video game reviews...

It boggles the mind.

If people listened to video game reviews, then nobody would play PSU.

amtalx
Jun 9, 2008, 02:01 PM
OMG you FAIL this is information that i didnt need to know because now i have yet another temptation to fight ...

Haha, I always find it more rewarding if you find out yourself. I'll wait. Although I'm sure there will be plenty of spoiler ninjas that ruin things for everyone because they don't know how to use spoiler tags.

eXo
Jun 9, 2008, 05:14 PM
People still listen to video game reviews...

It boggles the mind.

If people listened to video game reviews, then nobody would play PSU.

I dont base my dcision to purchase a game off of gaming reviews otherwise i would have stayed away from FFXI I do however take their information into account when it cmes to games like madden, smackdown vs raw etc.. because taking their information into consideration helps me to determine rather or not the new features are worth my time & money.

eXo
Jun 9, 2008, 05:15 PM
Haha, I always find it more rewarding if you find out yourself. I'll wait. Although I'm sure there will be plenty of spoiler ninjas that ruin things for everyone because they don't know how to use spoiler tags.

Yea tell me about it one good thing however is that i work a 20 hour shift today s basically i'll sleep all of tomorrow and then by the time im up and about it's MGS4 time!

amtalx
Jun 9, 2008, 05:23 PM
I still have to drag myself through the last 2 days at this job I'm quitting on Wednesday. The good thing is that I have almost 2 weeks until my new job starts. Plenty of time to work on finishing MGS4 23476102 times.

eXo
Jun 9, 2008, 05:47 PM
lol whoa you have everything figured out and thye say that gamers are dumb ....>_<

amtalx
Jun 10, 2008, 10:29 AM
Haha, oddly enough I didn't plan it. Just coincidence. I'll take the credit for being intelligent though. :P

eXo
Jun 10, 2008, 04:43 PM
Haha, oddly enough I didn't plan it. Just coincidence. I'll take the credit for being intelligent though. :P

credit granted !

Inazuma
Jun 10, 2008, 05:40 PM
9.9 is not a fair review score b/c they agreed not to mention any of the bad parts of the game. you cant really trust review scores from these big companies. no idea whats going on behind the scenes. isnt it weird that almost no game gets rated below 60%? 50% should be the average and most common score but its more like 80%. and like someone else said, psu had horrible reviews, yet its the best game ever made.

amtalx
Jun 10, 2008, 05:48 PM
and like someone else said, psu had horrible reviews, yet its the best game ever made.

You owe me a new pair of pants.

Inazuma
Jun 10, 2008, 07:11 PM
im not saying psu is perfect. its mother fucking far from perfect. but i havent played a better game, therefore i think its the best game. when i find a better game than psu, i will make the switch over. im the type of person who focuses on one game only. before psu, it was psobb. before that it was diablo II. all the vers of pso before blue burst were completely ruined by cheating so i quit those early on.

amtalx
Jun 10, 2008, 08:58 PM
Honestly, I am speechless.

There are more things wrong with PSU than right. Either you don't play very many games, or your perception of "good" is very skewed.

eXo
Jun 10, 2008, 10:06 PM
Honestly, I am speechless.

There are more things wrong with PSU than right. Either you don't play very many games, or your perception of "good" is very skewed.

Hey now i can actually understand his point of view, back when PSO released on dreamcast their is no secret that that game had many flaws, duping BSOD,FSOD, spam and lots more however.

It still brought the majority of us 100 upon hours of hours of for joy despite their being more polished , and popular games out at the time like everquest & i believe dark age of camalot.

amtalx
Jun 11, 2008, 01:41 AM
I love PSO too. ST took 7 years of my life that I will never get back, but its far from the best. You had to take the good with the bad in PSO. The "best" games are mostly good, and little if any bad.

AC9breaker
Jun 11, 2008, 01:47 AM
and like someone else said, psu had horrible reviews, yet its the best game ever made.

Now I think I consider myself one of the biggest PSU fans around here. I've purchased both Japanese PC versions, Both US PC versions, and two copies for the 360. That said, I really fucking LOL'd hard at that statement of yours.

Inazuma
Jun 11, 2008, 01:12 PM
so if there is a game you prefer over psu, how come you continue to bother w/ psu?

amtalx
Jun 11, 2008, 01:34 PM
so if there is a game you prefer over psu, how come you continue to bother w/ psu?

My friends, and the fact that none of the games that are better are ORPGs. They have to end eventually.

Also, its not that PSU is a horrible mess of a game. It has a few redeeming features, but it is still a shadow of what it could be. It has more to do with ST's mismanagement than anything else.

Raine_Loire
Jun 11, 2008, 01:39 PM

Wait- people can only play one game?

Inazuma
Jun 11, 2008, 02:25 PM
sorry thats just how i think. the more you try to do, the worse you will become at all of it. i would love to play smash bros, mario kart and starcraft and become extremely good at them all but its simply not possible.

even within psu, i just focus on a single character and a single type. i do have 5 total chars, but the other 4 chars are just there to improve my main.

back in the day, before online games, i was the type of gamer who played EVERYTHING. but the problem is, i never got good at any game. the internet changed gaming for me. i dont like being a crappy player so i started to just focus on one game so i could become good at it.

i know im not like most people. i stopped watching american tv/movies and only watch japanese b/c it benefits psu. i also will never get married or have kids. and i think all religions are scams. plus, im planning on switching to polyphasic sleep next month. im so different from most people, its really crazy.

amtalx
Jun 11, 2008, 02:51 PM
That's certainly one philosophy... But you better have all your PAs at 40, every S-rank 10/10, and 50% armor of every element.

Inazuma
Jun 11, 2008, 03:50 PM
actually, im gonna have to differ w/ you on that one too :P
i only upgrade my equip if its cheap or a big enough improvement to make it worth the cost.

my weps are all 7-10 grind but im not in a big hurry to get all of em to +10 b/c its not worth spending the meseta, since better weps will come out later. all my armors are between 28%-38% and thats plenty. its not worth spending hundreds of millions of meseta for minimal improvements. if i knew for sure that better items wouldnt come out, of course id aim for 50% +10, but id rather be slightly weak now, in order to become stronger later. as of rite now i have 634 million meseta and no intention of spending any at the moment. im just waiting for the next chance to have a cheap and/or big upgrade.

Powder Keg
Jun 11, 2008, 06:01 PM
There's only one review you can really trust...

your own.

UnderscoreX
Jun 11, 2008, 08:55 PM
Yeh, you should buy every game ever than decide if you like them after playing it, nice advice.

Kent
Jun 11, 2008, 09:25 PM
There's only one review you can really trust...

your own.

Yeh, you should buy every game ever than decide if you like them after playing it, nice advice.

...Whoooooosh~

Yes, you do have to actually play a game to like it (as far as liking to play it goes, that is). On the other hand, reviews are simply opinions, and not all of them can be really trusted. For example, anything on the Sony Defense Force website cannot be trusted to be a review from an open mind... Whereas, on the other hand, you have places like GameSpot where if the review score doesn't match the amount of in-site advertising for the game, people get fired.

Reviews of games are just peoples' opinions on games, for the most part. Yes, people opinions differ radically, and yes, your own opinion is likely one of the few that is actually trustworthy to yourself... However, you can use many other peoples' reviews to gain an idea on their perspective of the game, allowing you to gather your own insight as to whether or not you wish to actually try it or not.

In other words, yes, it was nice advice, if a bit too quaint for its own good.

Powder Keg
Jun 11, 2008, 11:03 PM
Or you know, watch gameplay videos, or demos where available. since apparently someone has never heard of them.

UnderscoreX
Jun 12, 2008, 12:22 AM
Or you know, watch gameplay videos, or demos where available. since apparently someone has never heard of them.

Oh you can tell what the framerate is, how well the game controls, length, whether or not they made changes to the problems the demo had through gameplay videos and trailers ? Awesome!

In the real world however people who aren't completely ignorant about videogame sites, read the reviews to see how well the game that they were interested in plays. Just because a certain game isn't necessarily the game reviewers cup of tea and their score reflects that, doesn't always make it a bad game but that's why there's an actual written review so people don't just read the score and move on. If you like the way a game looks you should first read a review about it before you go out and buy a game like Chains of Olympus and find out it lasts about 3 hours.

...Whoooooosh~And you missed my point entirely, i'm well aware there are certain sites and magazines that are obviously biased towards different companies. But I wasn't talking about the entire Video Game Review industry, if i say "Movies are great" that doesn't mean i'm saying every movie ever made was great, does it ? I didn't think i'd have to explain that, particularly to someone like you.

eXo
Jun 12, 2008, 01:02 AM
For example, anything on the Sony Defense Force website cannot be trusted to be a review from an open mind

any review coming from any website with a console name attached to it cannot be believed, and or considered unbias.

... Whereas, on the other hand, you have places like GameSpot where if the review score doesn't match the amount of in-site advertising for the game, people get fired.

I believe and agee with this theory.

Sexy_Raine
Jun 12, 2008, 10:14 PM
IGN NA review for MGS4, they gave it a 10 :D

Take that GTA4! You didn't make review score history!

Retehi
Jun 12, 2008, 10:25 PM
I love how you people have to make versus matches out of everything.

Hey Barney's Hide and Go Seek on Genesis back then scored more than Thomas the Tank Engine on SNES. Take that!

eXo
Jun 12, 2008, 10:54 PM
I love how you people have to make versus matches out of everything.

Hey Barney's Hide and Go Seek on Genesis back then scored more than Thomas the Tank Engine on SNES. Take that!

yes i know what you mean with the whole comparison thing the intentions behind this thread was because it was the first review from one of the more credible sources. But of course some cant resist the temptation.

But also gamespot gave it a 10 which doesnt mean much but atleast this should help eliminate the whole certain reviewers are in the console hip pocket theory.

eXo
Jun 13, 2008, 02:33 PM
forgot the link

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/adventure/metalgearsolid4/review.html?tag=topslot;title;1

ashley50
Jun 14, 2008, 05:40 AM
Finished it...6 hours ago, all i can say is AWESOME!!!!

AC9breaker
Jun 14, 2008, 09:59 AM
Yeah I just beat the game like 3 or 4 hours ago. I feel the same way. I beat it on Big Boss mode. earned the title of Eagle. 26 hours total play time.

Now I need some much needed sleep.