PDA

View Full Version : MGS4 BT headset *MY hands on review**

eXo
Jun 8, 2008, 01:48 PM
Metal Gear Soild 4 (MGS4) Bluetooth Headset Review
June 06, 2008 at 12:30 AM in Sony PS3

We listened to your comments and feedback, and have updated our review - see below in BOLD

Specs:
Bluetooth 2.0 Headset
Talk Time: 8 Hours
Standby: 160 hours
Range: 30 feet
Auto standby, auto-connects to last synced device.
Comes with carrying case.

Click the link below for the Video Review

http://www.gadgetmadness.com/archives/20080606-metal_gear_soild_4_mgs4_bluetooth_headset_review.p hp

Pros:
Officially licensed product.
Looks cooler than most standard headsets.
Easy to operate and use.
Comes with sturdy carrying case.

Cons:
Voice quality is awful. Voice quality is awful when used as a cellphone headset. We paired the MGS4 Headset to a Motorola RAZR, Samsung Blackjack, a Nokia 6131, and a Dell laptop and the results were the same. When used with the PS3, the voice quality was slightly better, but still not as good as other Bluetooth headsets.
Proprietary USB charger.
Uncomfortable to wear for long periods of time.

Conclusion - UPDATED

We're bummed. BIG TIME. We wanted this headset to be awesome, and for the price it should be. We could look past the proprietary USB charging cable, but we can't overlook the terrible sound quality when used with a cell phone. If you want people you call or are playing with online to actually understand what you are saying we suggest you try a different Bluetooth headset.

My Conclusion

Although this sounds really subpar based on his video i was and still am kinda looking forward to it, and im going to pick one up anyway but one thing for sure is that i will purchase a replacment plan that way if its crap i can return it get a new one then EBAY !

Kent
Jun 8, 2008, 02:12 PM
I had heard that the MGS4 headset was really poor quality - it's kinda sad, actually, especially since I've been looking for a good one, myself. What's a really good Bluetooth headset, then?

eXo
Jun 8, 2008, 02:25 PM
Yea im just not sold on the poor quality part just yet despite pelicans poor quality reputation mainly because everyone is basing this information on one review. Every review that i have come across is linked to the gadgetmadness review, which doesnt eliminate the possibility of him having a bad headset ...

eXo
Jun 11, 2008, 12:39 AM
The post mentioned above was done by gadgetmadness so against my better judgment i decided to pick up the headset anyway and let me be the first to say, that the best way to describe that guys review is a defective headset i have called severl people and it sounds quite clear... i even called myself to leave a message and that was also clear the only problem that i came across on one of my panasonic phones was that when placed on speaker phone if gave off a really bad echo, however it does this with everyone who calls me from a BT hs on the line so in my opinion it's a good headset.

eXo
Jun 11, 2008, 01:02 AM
Oh yea i forgot to mention that it is clearly designed to go in your right ear because when placed in your left ear the mgs4 logo is upside down ........

Kent
Jun 11, 2008, 06:30 AM
...Weird. Headsets have always felt best to me when on the left ear.

On a related note, how exactly do you check to see if a device meets the specifications to use a Bluetooth headset? That is, I have a laptop that supports Bluetooth, and can use it to connect with my phone directly and such, but how do I know if it supports the proper protocols to connect to and use a headset?

amtalx
Jun 11, 2008, 10:47 AM
Does anyone actually use the headset on PSN? I don't know since I haven't actually played anything on PSN yet.

eXo
Jun 11, 2008, 12:19 PM
Does anyone actually use the headset on PSN? I don't know since I haven't actually played anything on PSN yet.

Yea they do while playing games like warhawk , and when i was playing the MGO beta everyone was talking accept me ...

amtalx
Jun 11, 2008, 12:21 PM
That's good to hear. I was worried that since there is no packaged headset, people might just forget about it. Now I have to get a headset though. =/

eXo
Jun 11, 2008, 12:46 PM
Well it works with a BT headset but you can also use a standard USB headset also if you want to save a few bucks=) and yea the only game that comes with an headset so far is warhawk. the new Socom will come with one also.

eXo
Jun 11, 2008, 12:52 PM
...Weird. Headsets have always felt best to me when on the left ear.

On a related note, how exactly do you check to see if a device meets the specifications to use a Bluetooth headset? That is, I have a laptop that supports Bluetooth, and can use it to connect with my phone directly and such, but how do I know if it supports the proper protocols to connect to and use a headset?

The Bluetooth core system consists of an RF transceiver, baseband, and protocol stack. The system offers services that enable the connection of devices and the exchange of a variety of data classes between these devices.

So basically as long as both a devices support bluetooth it will work.

UnderscoreX
Jun 11, 2008, 08:53 PM
Some British guys who've gotten the game early told me you can play all of Snake's codecs through the ear piece which is pretty badass.

eXo
Jun 12, 2008, 01:09 AM
Some British guys who've gotten the game early told me you can play all of Snake's codecs through the ear piece which is pretty badass.

hmm interesting so far the only two things that i have heard are the signature beep beep in your ear and also when you press the power button to answer it makes the little noise from when the codec window opens up!