PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo Planning Next Console

pixelate
Jan 24, 2003, 07:41 PM
Quit the console race? Never. Nintendo wants to win it.

January 23, 2003 - It appears that Nintendo is finally learning its lessons. In a Reuters interview posted this morning, Nintendo of Japan president Satoru Iwata commented on the company's long-term intentions in the console wars to follow its current GameCube hardware.

"We are developing a new home video game console with a plan to release the new system around the same time as rival makers do," said Iwata. "The PlayStation 2 debuted one-and-a-half years ahead of the GameCube. If we had launched the GameCube at the same time as PlayStation 2, the result would have been different. ... We will get ready for a (new) battle in 2005 although foreign game developers are now saying that rival next-generation systems won't come until 2006."

Iwata emphasized Nintendo's plans to stick in the console industry by saying, "When we withdraw from the home game console, that's when we withdraw from the video game business."

Iwata also commented on Nintendo's current strategy: "Our focus for 2003 is to offer new types of games which allow consumers to play both on the GameCube and Game Boy Advance."

Nintendo's newfound focus on the future can perhaps be attributed to its most recent sales reports, which put it in close competition with Microsoft's Xbox for the number two spot in the industry behind Sony's mammoth PS2 market share. Nintendo missed projected sales of 10 million GameCube systems by 10%, as well as falling short of its projected 55 million units of software sales.

On a down note, when asked about these lacking sales, Mr. Iwata blamed the videogame market, saying, "Consumers today apparently don't want to sit in front of the television to play games for hours and hours." This comment leaves us completely baffled, as we're not entirely sure how the president of NCL hasn't noticed the millions of PS2 units shipped each month, in addition to the 1.5 million copies of Rockstar's Grand Theft Auto: Vice City that shipped from retailers during the month of December alone.

-IGNcube

DeathCheese87
Jan 24, 2003, 07:52 PM
well, sounds good nintendo is preparing for the future, but what about the present? if they're working on a new console, not much focus will be on the gamecube. hahaha, and if nintendo doesnt give enough first party support...then...i wont like nintendo so much.

hopefully nintendo will reconsider online games with this console...

Phobos-X
Jan 24, 2003, 11:11 PM
this is bad news. sounds like nintendo is gonna pull a "Sega" and start thinkin about the future when they havent even really started! Anyone remember how the saturn ended up?? and not to mention Itawa's crappy reply to the question of lack of sales. Has he thought of games like Metroid Prime and Splinter Cell? Im pretty sure if they (nintendo) released a game more than once every 5 years theyd get better sales

Elixer
Jan 25, 2003, 12:23 AM
sounds good and bad

-BK-
Jan 25, 2003, 12:26 AM
It's what Sony's been doing with the PS systems for awhile now, why should we look down on the big N for the samething? It's only natural that when a rival starts planning their next big thing that any other company will soon follow.

dude3282
Jan 25, 2003, 07:06 AM
Dude, release a hard drive to connect to that weird port on the bottom of the 'cube. Get the third party support back, it's no fun when people only buy 1st party games, then the 3rd party companies leave.

LamerPanda
Jan 25, 2003, 10:31 AM
Geh... x.o

I don't have the money to buy new consoles every 3 years. Sort of reminds me of how PCs are, where they're obsolete a year or so after you buy them.

VulpesMundi
Jan 25, 2003, 01:58 PM
The video game industry seems to be at an all time high, actually. There's more units per household now than there has ever been. I can't speak for other countries, but the lacking sales in the US would more likely be blamed on the bad economic condition during the year 2002. Money was tighter, and therefore the players had to be a lot more specific with the purchases they made. I know I didn't get half of the games I wanted to. =-.-=

Phobos-X
Jan 26, 2003, 08:30 AM
It's what Sony's been doing with the PS systems for awhile now, why should we look down on the big N for the samething? It's only natural that when a rival starts planning their next big thing that any other company will soon follow

Sony can do that because they have a higher installed user base (IUB), and they also have a shitload of 3rd party support. "N" hasnt had a big IUB or good 3rd party support since the SNES. Nintendo could make the same mistake they did with the N64 launch. Without those two factors, the new Nintendo console could be a reapeat of the N64. Remember the N64 launch had only 2 games available for about 2 or 3 months?

LieutenantDwAnGStick
Jan 26, 2003, 02:46 PM
On 2003-01-24 20:11, Phobos-X wrote:
this is bad news. sounds like nintendo is gonna pull a "Sega" and start thinkin about the future when they havent even really started! Anyone remember how the saturn ended up

all componies plan their future products at an early stage not just nintendo.. Microsoft has been working on XBOX Next since XBOX realeased. Sony already has a new graphics chip done already.

Ness
Jan 26, 2003, 05:30 PM
I hope Nintendo has learned a thing or two about m,arkieting thier product, or Microsoft and Sony will outsell them again.

RavenTW
Jan 26, 2003, 05:41 PM
Man, cut Nintendo some slack! They are more experienced in console developing (though they didn't show it with the GC), plus they don't have anything to fall back on. If Sony suddenly flops on the PS, they have the other electronics they make to fall back on. And Microsoft has practically ALL of the computer software to fall back on in case Xbox flops. But Nintendo is, has been, and always will be a videogame/console developer. Although I feel uncomfortable with them developing a console to release in only 2 or 3 years, I have faith in them.

Phobos-X
Jan 27, 2003, 07:17 AM
all componies plan their future products at an early stage not just nintendo.. Microsoft has been working on XBOX Next since XBOX realeased. Sony already has a new graphics chip done already

theres is nothing wrong with development, but it sounds like nintendo wants to rush so they can be the first ones out the gate. which as we have seen before is a very stupid (and costly) mistake. Ive always been some what partial to nintendo, bought almost all of their systems (except virtual boy, and GBA) but lately they dont know what they hell they are doin. And this Itawa clown is in the wrong frickin business:

On a down note, when asked about these lacking sales, Mr. Iwata blamed the videogame market, saying, "Consumers today apparently don't want to sit in front of the television to play games for hours and hours." read the full article here (http://cube.ign.com/articles/383/383515p1.html)

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rant.gif how in the BLUE hell do you answer a question like that?? Youre the president of a video game company and you blame the consumers for lack of sales??? The correct answer would have been, we dont wanna sit down and play YOUR crappy games for hours and hours. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rant.gif

LieutenantDwAnGStick
Jan 28, 2003, 04:33 PM
On 2003-01-27 04:17, Phobos-X wrote:

The correct answer would have been, we dont wanna sit down and play YOUR crappy games for hours and hours. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rant.gif

HEY HEY HEY...........

speak for yourself http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Freak74
Jan 28, 2003, 07:00 PM
Three words!!! Third Party Developers!!! N64 is the reason Nintendo lost all their thrid party support. If Nintendo doesn't get the third party help they need they will wind up like Sega.

LieutenantDwAnGStick
Jan 28, 2003, 08:48 PM
On 2003-01-28 16:00, Freak74 wrote:
Three words!!! Third Party Developers!!! N64 is the reason Nintendo lost all their thrid party support. If Nintendo doesn't get the third party help they need they will wind up like Sega.

may this post be STRICKEN from the record...

where have you been?

-Namco, Sega, Nintendo to return into the arcade buisness, not to mention adding LINK, a nintendo franchise, in the roster in Namco's Soul Calibur

-Capcom just announced 5 exclusive games

-more PS2 ports than Xbox

if you want i can keep going i havent even scratched the surface

Phobos-X
Jan 28, 2003, 11:35 PM
Namco, Sega, Nintendo to return into the arcade buisness, not to mention adding LINK, a nintendo franchise, in the roster in Namco's Soul Calibur

everyone knows the arcades are dead, theyre a waste of money!

Capcom just announced 5 exclusive games

if youre referring to Viewtful Joe, PN 03, and the other 3 (i forgot them! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif) they are NOT, i repeat NOT exclusive to nintendo, IGN had an article and so did Pulse (the show on G4)

more PS2 ports than Xbox

these days ALL consoles are getting ports from developers tryin to milk the cow with the least possible effort. and sadly we are goin along with buying their crappy ports too!

hooray4punkmusic
Jan 29, 2003, 11:42 PM
On 2003-01-28 20:35, Phobos-X wrote:

Namco, Sega, Nintendo to return into the arcade buisness, not to mention adding LINK, a nintendo franchise, in the roster in Namco's Soul Calibur

Thats a good move. Because everyone likes Link. ANd Spawn is a no no.

Capcom just announced 5 exclusive games

if youre referring to Viewtful Joe, PN 03, and the other 3 (i forgot them! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif) they are NOT, i repeat NOT exclusive to nintendo, IGN had an article and so did Pulse (the show on G4)

In EGM It said they might become ports. But RE 4 is a gamecube only. And on http://www.nintendo.com why would they have a poll about Viewtful Joe, PN 03, and Dead Phoenix on their site? Hmmm, Maybe because they might make the more popular one (of those 3) an exclusive?

angelzeero
Jan 30, 2003, 05:18 AM
I DON'T CARE ABOUT CONSOLES!!
I WANT PSO 3!! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Phobos-X
Jan 30, 2003, 08:14 AM
In EGM It said they might become ports. But RE 4 is a gamecube only. And on http://www.nintendo.com why would they have a poll about Viewtful Joe, PN 03, and Dead Phoenix on their site? Hmmm, Maybe because they might make the more popular one (of those 3) an exclusive?

if it was exclusive, Capcom would have said so. They clearly stated that the games are not exclusive, and AT THIS TIME, there are no plans for other consoles. Meaning either it could or it couldnt. Even exclusive games CAN be changed into ports for other consoles. Burnout 2 was supposed to be a PS2 exclusive, now its being ported to xbox and gamecube