PDA

View Full Version : newb.rar question

Sgt_Shligger
Jun 11, 2008, 07:56 AM
When a file is made of multiple compressed parts, how do you go about putting them back together?

KodiaX987
Jun 11, 2008, 08:01 AM
Usually, opening the .r00 or the .00 file works if there isn't a "master" .rar that comes along with them.

Sgt_Shligger
Jun 11, 2008, 08:14 AM
Yeah, they don't just compile together when I extract one so I'm not sure what to do.

Kent
Jun 11, 2008, 08:33 AM
Once you have all of the individual parts in the same folder, extracting from the first in the series should do the trick.

If it doesn't work, or tells you there's a missing or corrupt volume, then you'll need to try re-attaining the volume stack... Or get the source recompressed from whomever did it... But that may not be possible.

VioletSkye
Jun 11, 2008, 10:29 AM
Some people will use a different program to split up the files (don't ask me why, but it happens) and in that case you will need to use something like HJ-Split (http://www.freebyte.com/hjsplit/) to recombine them.

amtalx
Jun 11, 2008, 10:36 AM
Are they ".r01" or ".001" files?

Sgt_Shligger
Jun 11, 2008, 11:21 AM
No, they are just .rar. Should I change the extension?

amtalx
Jun 11, 2008, 01:06 PM
Nope. I was just asking because sometimes ".001" files are actually just a split, like Violet said. Its not actually compressed. Unfortunately there is no way to tell, you just have to try and see which way works.

If it has a main ".rar", just fire up Winrar and open that file. Just make sure all peices of the rar are in the same directory.