PDA

View Full Version : The Best Albums of 2008...so far?

Eihwaz
Jun 13, 2008, 02:32 AM
It's true, 2007 was a fantastic year for music, but there's been a lot of good stuff out this year so far. Mention some of your favorite albums that have come out this year, as well as any related discussion.

Third by Portishead: Trip-hop is so 90's, this is true. It's only appropriate that Portishead, the rather reclusive trip-hop innovators who realized that tortured torch songs and dense spy-music samples could go together so well, have produced a totally brilliant album. It sounds absolutely nothing like their older work, and I often am rather hesitant to call it "trip-hop," as it is more innovative than that. The sexy chase-scene vibe of "Silence" a try, the beautiful folk-bleeding-to-electronic of "The Rip", the ominous drone of "We Carry On", the shards of noise in "Machine Gun"...this is the sound of a reinvention that works on every level. Currently my favorite album to come out this year.

The Slip by Nine Inch Nails: I read an article on Time.com that said that Trent Reznor has realized that whereas people used to view albums more like novels, now they view them more like magazines. This is somewhat appropriate, given how quickly he's been releasing material lately. This is his second album this year, which is shocking given the average between his previous releases was more like five years instead of five months. No matter. The Slip is no nonsense, no filler, and all rock. I like any album where the brutal fun of "1,000,000" can sit comfortably next to an angst-ridden piano ballad like "Lights in the Sky." If you thought Year Zero was great but a bit overwhelming, or if you thought Ghosts I-IV could've used some, y'know, songs, you'll love The Slip.

Vampire Weekend by Vampire Weekend: What happens when a bunch of Ivy League indie kids perform a dark ritual while listening to afropop and begin channeling the collective spirits (and sound) of Paul Simon and Talking Heads? Well, you wouldn't get a collection of sweet, sunny, literate indie pop like Vampire Weekend; you'd just get some Lovecraftian punk-funk nightmare. "A-Punk" is impossible to resist, "Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa" is the perfect background music for a summertime date with that shy cutie from your art history class, and "Campus" goes through the joys and frustrations of college life in under three minutes. The rest of the album is just as strong, and is light, refreshing, and totally unpretentious (unlike this review).

I also have enjoyed the new LPs by Coldplay (which I cannot stop fucking listening to), the Futureheads, and British Sea Power, as well as a few others, but I don't feel like lapsing into any further overly pretentious Robert Christgau-lite reviews. :wacko:

Katrina
Jun 13, 2008, 02:53 AM
Coldplay

EphekZ
Jun 13, 2008, 03:38 AM
I really didn't like the slip that much. I listened to it maybe twice and went back to my other things. In my opinion, Year Zero was way better.

Eihwaz
Jun 13, 2008, 04:36 AM
I really didn't like the slip that much. I listened to it maybe twice and went back to my other things. In my opinion, Year Zero was way better.I agree, actually, except I listened to The Slip like over ten times in a row. :wacko:

UnderscoreX
Jun 13, 2008, 05:59 AM
I just picked up Tha Carter III last night, and apart from the few candy Hip Hop songs he has like Lollipop and Milli the album's been pretty awesome. Dr Carter is a Lupe FIasco level metaphor track about how fake the game is right now with Swizz Beats producing, Shoot me down has some of Wayne's best lines while the music is rather relaxed while Mrs Officer and Tie My Hands have that smooth RnB sound to it.

The overall album is nothing too amazing but for the 5 or so tracks that were hot, they were reeeeally hot.

CupOfCoffee
Jun 13, 2008, 07:38 AM
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:cI5Uyx3M0kjqwM:http://stereogum.com/img/pe-she_and_him-volume_one.jpg
Volume One by She & Him: Zooey Deschanel and M. Ward came across each other one cloudy summer afternoon in a thrift store parking lot, busted out a pair of guitars, and got to work. That's what I pictured anyway, listening to their first album together. I kinda was aware Deschanel knew how to sing, but I didn't know she knew how to sing good, or that the songs that would naturally come out of her would sound more like the warm, dusty pop of the '60s than the hot, bright trash American Idol gives us every season. Certainly worth 11 bucks, or if you can't spring for that, at least download!

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:87gCOG__ACOfXM:http://bp0.blogger.com/_DV-18juNIOo/SBxRhF46XuI/AAAAAAAABS0/mHx6wbFPCRc/s400/38%2B-%2BDeath%2Bcab%2Bfor%2Bcutie%2B-%2BNarrow%2Bstairs.jpg
Narrow Stairs by Death Cab for Cutie: "Yeah, we remember Transatlanticism too" should've been the subtitle to this album that is in almost every way more deep than Plans and somehow even more listenable. If the fact that the first single is a 10-minute long mostly-instrumental nod to slow metal bands like Anathema doesn't tip you off that Death Cab's transition to a major label doesn't mean they've given up, nothing probably will.

I need more new music.

Solstis
Jun 13, 2008, 10:01 AM
Seventh Tree: Goldfrapp for copy this, Madonna.

CupOfCoffee
Jun 13, 2008, 10:12 AM
Oh yeah! I forgot about Seventh Tree. A truly sweet album, that.

astuarlen
Jun 13, 2008, 11:16 AM
I'm going to cheat since I don't think I've heard any haven't heard many albums from 2008 (slow down, guys; I'm still trying to digest 2007--at the latest!)

But I hear That Handsome Devil is coming out with a new release at the end of summer, and they've got some new (relative to the prev. album) tracks up for listening (http://www.myspace.com/thathandsomedevil). And let me tell you, folks: purely awesome. I suspect most have heard only "Elephant Bones", which is a shame, because their other stuff is fabulous.

I should probably do something about listening to Seventh Tree, considering how much I've enjoyed Goldfrapp's previous releases.
Okay, first impressions of Seventh Tree: Doesn't really interest me, which isn't surprising given how much it departs from their previous work. Plenty of time to change my mind, of course.

Just snagged Ladytron's latest, Velocifero, however, and so far I'm enjoying it. Sorry, no fancy review.

Shiro_Ryuu
Jun 13, 2008, 03:00 PM
Deicide "Til Death Do Us Part"
Serpent "xGodx"

Well, that's as far as I know from this year. I'll put more if I can remember anything.

Eihwaz
Jun 13, 2008, 03:04 PM
Just snagged Ladytron's latest, Velocifero, however, and so far I'm enjoying it. Sorry, no fancy review."Black Cat", "Ghosts", and especially "Versus" make me feel all tingly...but the rest of the album didn't click quite as much. I don't think I like it more than Witching Hour, their brilliant previous album, but I need to give Velocifero a few more spins, y'know?

Kylie
Jun 13, 2008, 03:07 PM
Sue me, but I'm a girl and have to point out that lots of great diva albums have been put out this year. Madonna and Mariah Carey came out in the same month, which was great. I have lots of albums I want this year and need more money to buy them all. ^^;

Nitro Vordex
Jun 13, 2008, 03:14 PM
I'm not even sure if some of the things I have are even from 2008.;/

I did get one album, however, and band is Pennywise, who depubted on Myspace, their album Reason to Believe. It's very good I think, though it reminds me of a cross between Bad Religion and Papa Roach(earlier works, their current stuff is BAW).

Monochrome
Jun 14, 2008, 02:19 AM
I'm a guy and I enjoyed the recent Madonna album immensely.

er.. anyway yeah! I second Ladytron's Velocifero album as great too, though my favorite song is still "Destroy Everything You Touch" off Witching Hour.

Toadthroat
Jun 14, 2008, 02:40 AM
N*E*R*D: Seeing Sounds is pretty good.

Larian
Jun 14, 2008, 10:58 AM
The new Disturbed album!!

VetroDrago
Jun 14, 2008, 05:21 PM
I should be getting Disturbed's Indestructible today. I hope it's a best of the year. Other ones include:

Pyramaze-Immortal
Scar Symmetry-um the new one coming out this month
Avantasia-The Scarecrow
Dragonforce-Ultra Beatdown (I hope it's that good)

Kylie
Jun 14, 2008, 08:16 PM
I'm a guy and I enjoyed the recent Madonna album immensely.
Aww, that's okay!

I'll paint your toenails some time; PM me. :-)

Monochrome
Jun 15, 2008, 07:37 PM
Aww, that's okay!

I'll paint your toenails some time; PM me. :-)

hahahahaha!

...free on Tuesday?

EphekZ
Jun 20, 2008, 01:20 AM
I don't mean to necromance, but I finally got around to torrenting Narrow Stairs. My god. I love this album. I already knew " I will Posses your heart" was amazing, but the rest is just as good. man I love this band.