PDA

View Full Version : PSO? Your thoughts

burning_card
Jun 13, 2008, 05:18 AM
So why do you guys still play this game? How do you keep it alive for yourself even after shut down? (which isn't all that dead, but we can't talk about that) What's your favorite class, character, and ID? What's your favorite thing about the game? I'm just making a post to hear what other people think about the game and the reason you still play a game that's been out for nearing a decade! (What is it now, 7 years or something?)

I still play the game for the art style they used in it. I loved the way the combat was so simple and effective, and how addicting the level grinding is in the game. When i met my wife awhile back she though the game was the most stupid looking thing there was, but right now as i'm typing she's playing my FOmarl trying to get past the Ruins stage in hard with pure melee lol. It's been a long time since i have really felt the game was new or anything like that, but just having someone to play with keeps the game alive for me. The weapon hunts are still fun, but i've been deleting characters and making new ones just to see how i can grow their stats differently each time.

My favorite ID seems to be the Skyly still just for the unit drops and the super rare items it has. My Id's i use are Purplenum, Skyly, Redria, and Whitill. Right now my favorite class seems to be the forces, mainly the FOmarl. I really enjoy her gameplay she delivers with challenging melee and great team benefits. I'm hoping to get another gamecube and a network adapter so i can go online and make use of all those damn photon drops i have, maybe get some s-rank or something...and i hope there are at least a few people left on there that will enjoy some good runs like the old days.

I love the goofy enemy designs, i love the way the techs and melee weapons look and play. I think one of the best things about the game is just how long you can actually play it, and every time you do you're always adding something to your ever growing character, even if you don't get much done. It does become a bit of work in the end, but it's always a fun thing to play.

The first time i played the game was a trip...i had a RAcast and i remember i though the Poison Lilly was stupid because all it did was spit and laugh, never did a damn thing for damage...lol, i didn't know about status effects until my first HUmar. PSO has taken a lot of my time, but it's inspired a lot of great art works i've made and sold. The art style alone keeps me playing just to get some new ideas for some illustrations i do of my own characters (non PSO related, i just like the feel PSO has, sort of inspiring.)

Long post that no one will probably read, but i would like to hear your thoughts on this classic game...I'll probably play this till i'm 90!

goku4ever
Jun 13, 2008, 06:56 AM
A few years ago I bought this game for the gamecube, and the first time I played it, it was me and 3 of my friends. We didn't realise Episode 2 was harder than 1, and we went straight to Episode 2. We got our arses handed to us continually, but we plodded on. Lots of arguments broke out about the items because people were trying to get as much as they could so they could buy better weapons and armour to try and stop dieing so often. As time went on, me and one of my friends had a contest to see who could level faster. It really is a fun game.
Also, Skyly is the one that finds the SJS, right?

TsukasaDCX
Jun 13, 2008, 09:38 AM
I think nostalgia is what got me started again. I wanted to try and relive some memories of the early xbox live days where 11 year olds would run around the lobby singing the song that never ends or Bumblefuck would dance next to Ryu20. And I would just sit there with my 3 best friends, Haru(x187x), Jingle, and Sakuraku. I remember how I physically cried the day my xbox said it couldnt read my PSO disc.
But now I play because I enjoy the basic structure of the game. Its odd how Im still not bored going into ruins and hit B repeatedly. Plus now I play v2 more often so its a lot harder.

Mark87
Jun 13, 2008, 09:54 AM
I decided to get a copy when I went to my cousins house and he was playing it and told me "THIS I THE BEST GAME EVER!!!" lol That's Jon for ya but anyway I went to media play found it and bought it. Played it for like a year straight lol and I've been playin since. Class? Hmm... Hunter, mostly the HUmar. I like Whitill. What keeps me playin? The game itself!!! Just everything is awesome!!!!

AlexCraig
Jun 13, 2008, 12:28 PM
My brother had a friend a while back who used to love PSO. He got David hooked on it, and as my brother, David had to get me hooked or else. So I gave it a shot and absolutely loved it. I still do.
Of course, my brother's friend moved on to PSU and tried to get us hooked. I gave it a shot (admittedly, I thought it would be like PSO 2), but I did not like it. I was disappointed and went back to PSO. At that time, we only had normal GC PSO. So I asked David's friend if I could borrow his PSO+, as he was hooked on PSU. He, however, kept trying to push PSU on me.
Me - "Can I borrow your PSO+?"
Him - "Why? PSU is tons better!"
Me - "Um, that is not what I asked. I would like to bother PSO+"
Him - "But PSU is so much better! You should give it a try!"
Me - "I did. I didn't like it. Quit trying to shove PSU on me."
This went on for a while until school ended and I got PSO+ for myself (new in box and wrapping). MUUUCH better that HIS PSO+ (scratched, dented, box bent and distorted).

I have not seen this guy since. And with his elitism, I don't want to.
Since that time, I have played and owned PSO Episode I and II Plus, Episode III C.A.R.D. Revolution, and Blue Burst. I still do play all versions, and love them all. I hang out here on PSO-World where I help people out with knowledge I have gained over my time playing PSO. Also met my girlfriend here. Who knew PSO would do THAT for us? XD

What keeps me playing? The want to collect ALL rare items. The want to play with others. The story and missions. The fun factor. The different gameplay styles. This game is something I can safely say will keep me playing until I am well into my 30's and 40's, if not longer. The only games I like more are the Zelda games.

BW3Cmart
Jun 13, 2008, 02:40 PM
I first got into PSO at a friends house when he bought it for Xbox. At first before i actually got to play i thought this was a stupid game. BUt when i actually got to play i thought it was awesome. I went out and got the game a few weeks later and have been playing since. That was back in 05 or 06. The main reason i still play this game besides that fact that it passes time and is fun is because i no longer have XBL. Favorite class is probably Humar.

Zantra
Jun 13, 2008, 04:06 PM
It's just a better game than PSU, that's why I like it.

I've been playing since it came out for Dreamcast. (About 9 years ago)

Aisha_Clan-Clan
Jun 13, 2008, 08:07 PM
I've been playing since ver1 for Dc. I take several months break to keep it fresh. =^.^=

Jaspaller
Jun 13, 2008, 09:28 PM
Large post
Whoa, this is news to me that you've played PSU.

AlexCraig
Jun 13, 2008, 09:30 PM
Heh, surprised? I never played online, but from the feel I got just from playing offline (looks, gameplay, etc), I was not pleased, so I abruptly came back to PSO XDDD

Granted, I do kinda like the character creation in PSU, but that's about it.

Magus_84
Jun 13, 2008, 09:37 PM
It's just a better game than PSU, that's why I like it.

I've been playing since it came out for Dreamcast. (About 9 years ago)

I pretty much disagree, and I've also been playing since DC days.

Despite all the forced comparisons, the two are more different that they first seem. PSO, for me, is only fun when other people are around to play it with.

Take that away, and it loses about 90% of its charm.

Jaspaller
Jun 13, 2008, 09:41 PM
I pretty much disagree, and I've also been playing since DC days.

Despite all the forced comparisons, the two are more different that they first seem. PSO, for me, is only fun when other people are around to play it with.

In my opinion if you take that away, and it loses about 90% of its charm.
Fix'd

burning_card
Jun 14, 2008, 02:02 AM
Hey, thanks for all the replies, i sort of enjoy reading people's thoughts on this games.

Personally i didn't like PSU either, but the character creation and customization was awesome...i think i hated it when i got to my first double saber...i didn't evne mind the ammo thing...but the double sabers were a let down...i don't want to fly aroundthe stage like an idiot on crack.

I like SOLO on PSO better than anything, i just can't wait to get back online...RR and the Flow weapons legit...mag cells...galleons...ahh it's a dream that i've been wanting to come true for about a year now! I have my wife to play with me on a team though, makes things much more fun.

Magus_84
Jun 14, 2008, 08:21 AM
Fix'd

You'd think the whole "for me" would be a tipoff. But if you're going to perform needlessly redundant edits of other people's posts to back up your opinion, at least edit the entire thing so the sentence you change maintains its agreement. >_>

/nitpick

And Card, check your PMs.

Longinous
Jun 14, 2008, 09:06 AM
So i was reading some of these and I decided to look up when the PSO on Dream Cast came out, I bought it around when it came out in 2001... I was like 14, I remeber after getting that game I played almost every night and barely got in 2-3 hours before school, was my first online gaming experience and I had a lot of fun on it for a while but lost my internet connection and resorted to playing off line for a bit until I put the Dream Cast away.

I didn't play for a while I heard it came out for PC but didn't own one at the time, and Game Cube which I also lacked but i was really really interested in playing online again, but i knew Xbox was getting it and was happy to pick one up when it was released.

I got to play online with it for 1 month before I had to resort to off line again but I got a character past 100 in that time and plenty of nice rares to keep me happy for a while.

Played off and on whenever I wanted a break from one of my other MMO games, run through forest here and there.

In the last couple of months though me and 2 of my buds meet up maybe once or twice a week and have a nice PSO session (usually 5 hours+) We are all in Ultimate and having a blast, me and one of my palls even started 2 new characters and got them to 30 in one night.

Its nice to have some people to play with and has really re sparked my interest in the game, some of my other friends and Co workers tease me for still playing but what can I say I love this game.

I can't play online like I use to but atleast I can drink some beers while I play now ^^