PDA

View Full Version : Shenmue doesnt belong on this list .....

eXo
Jun 14, 2008, 03:48 AM
http://videogames.yahoo.com/feature/big-budget-disasters/1218872-2

I could respect their opinions until i saw this.

Nitro Vordex
Jun 14, 2008, 05:44 AM
Don't worry about the Yahoo things, I saw that earlier today(or yesterday, take your pick) and totally disreguarded it.

Some of the people who write the articles on Yahoo are just attention whores/asshats.

Weeaboolits
Jun 14, 2008, 06:36 AM
I think they just meant it didn't sell that well, I personally didn't care for Shenmue II, I did play the first one a fair bit, though.

RubyEclipse
Jun 14, 2008, 06:38 AM
Well to be honest, Shenmue really was not much of a success financially - but I think SEGA knew that going into it. Shenmue was designed to sell consoles, not games; I remember reading that to simply break even on development costs, every Dreamcast owner would had to have purchased two copies of the game.

That said I loved the game personally, one of the reasons I even considered buying an original Xbox was just to continue the story. Sadly it looks like three won't be coming (at least anytime soon), but time will tell...

Shenmue fans may also get a kick out of this, if you haven't seen it yet: http://kotaku.com/5015684/ryo-hazuki-is-a-crank+calling-smartass

Sekani
Jun 14, 2008, 10:19 AM
No matter how much you loved the game, you can't ignore the simple fact that Sega lost money on it. Thus, the list is correct.

Larian
Jun 14, 2008, 10:58 AM
I call hax!

SubstanceD
Jun 14, 2008, 01:22 PM
No matter how much you loved the game, you can't ignore the simple fact that Sega lost money on it. Thus, the list is correct.

I agree. Sega spent way too much money on it and it didn't really sell. That makes it a big budget flop.

Monochrome
Jun 14, 2008, 01:29 PM
Still wondering... where did the "70 million" go into this game?? Did they have an entire army producing it?

Oh well, I still enjoyed it.

Shadowpawn
Jun 14, 2008, 01:35 PM
Still wondering... where did the "70 million" go into this game?? Did they have an entire army producing it?

Oh well, I still enjoyed it.

In a sense, I believe they had three development houses working on that single project.

Kent
Jun 14, 2008, 01:49 PM
It's pretty well-known that Shenmue cost a lot of money to make, and sold very, very poorly. So, realistically speaking, it deserves the top spot on that list.

It wouldn't be too long of a shot to say that Shenmue's commercial failure had a hand in Sega retracting from the hardware business.

ABDUR101
Jun 14, 2008, 02:36 PM
I definitely enjoyed it, they did a fine job on it; but it certainly wasn't for everyone. It does belong on that list though, as nice as it was, as Kent said, it's easy to say it helped lead to Sega's demise.

Honestly, I haven't enjoyed much from Sega in a while, since they've gone from the console business, it feels like they lost who they were. Very sad.

eXo
Jun 14, 2008, 03:58 PM
yea i know but still ...

Kent
Jun 15, 2008, 12:46 AM
Honestly, I haven't enjoyed much from Sega in a while, since they've gone from the console business, it feels like they lost who they were. Very sad.

It is pretty sad - they went the money-making route, though. Do you have any idea how much third-party publishers make in this industry? Developers, in general, make almost no profit unless they pass a certain point where they start making royalties (which, very very few games actually hit that point - only big ones like Halo and GTA will ever get there in a timely fashion).

That said, when they're in the console business, not only would they always get those royalties due to owning the various AMs (which, they don't any more, but they're still contractually-obligated to give Sega first-choice in publishing all of their games), but they'd also get a cut of every game sale for the system, even if it's some obscure third party's game.

Nowadays, Sega's not in the business of getting teams to make new, original, and unique ideas for games and getting them out to stores. Now, Sega's basically Activision, but with a blue and shorter logo, and they zerg rush as many generic, movie license-based games out as they can.

As sad as it sounds, though, that sort of thing makes quite a bit of money. :/

I miss Jet Set Radio and Gunvalkyrie, and such...

Skyly
Jun 17, 2008, 06:02 AM
Jet set radio was tight.
shenmue was tight.. ultimate RPG i think
dreamcast was sick
seag's tight.
but it's like
you make something first.. ill let you crash and burn and make something better. and say thanks for the idea to spite you.