PDA

View Full Version : Article: Firearms & You: Handguns (yay, charts)

Yusaku_Kudou
Jun 14, 2008, 10:41 AM
I posted this at my website (http://www.segaroleplaying.com/atc/index.php?xnewsaction=fullnews&newsarch=062008&newsid=4), but I figured this article might as well be posted here.

---

Phantasy Star Universe, Firearms & You: Handguns

Author: Yusaku (http://www.segaroleplaying.com/stf)
Images from PSO World (http://www.pso-world.com)
Data provided from within PSU

Index:
I.Introduction
II.Necessity
III.Statistical Comparison
IV.Aesthetic Quality

I. Introduction

First of all, I want to talk about Mayalee Hit. Does anybody have this Photon Art at level 40? I'm wondering, because I've seen some players have it, but it's always leveled up in the teens or less. I myself have had it for more than six months and I only just reached LV21 with it. The bullet PA increase has helped tremendously as it's now 24 at the time of writing. The HP steal LV3 is massively helpful; I usually net about 75 HP per hit with it right now. This seems to negate any effects of Megistaride (or Megistar, if one uses that) almost instantly.

Here are its stats from PSO-World's database:

http://www.segaroleplaying.com/atc/img/handguns_mayaleehit.jpg

I think the PP cost might be different now, however. On my PA list, Mayalee Hit says 19 PP for LV24, so it may have been updated recently in the PA update (2008 May).

Now let's compare this to Burning Hit:

http://www.segaroleplaying.com/atc/img/handguns_burninghit.jpg

II. Necessity

Until now, I had not realized all single-handed handguns had LV3 status effects. To me, it seems like this kind of weapon is largely overlooked although it is an essential piece of equipment for all GUARDIANS when TECHNICS and Skills are halved in damage or not useful in specific situations (like in Her Secret Mission, for example).

Does anybody even level their handgun PAs to 40? They seem like they have a quasi-high damage potential. One thing Mayalee Hit does right is that this PA actively hits two separate targets with one bullet, though the area in which this occurs is fairly strict: the bullet has to hit two enemies parallel to each other and the bullet has to come right between them. This concept is very useful for opening boxes next to each other, but such a target is stationary whereas most enemies slide around each other marking the player's aim off.

Mayalee Hit also seems to cause extra damage from the HP steal in addition to its fair damage percent bonus despite its neutrality. Were the multi-hit less strict and possibly applied to other handgun PAs as well, I could see the single-handed firearm a more popular choice among gunner-oriented classes. Surely the handgun is a no-brainer for Fortefighter since some enemies emit forcefields that negate melee damage and others have striking defense traits--of this there is no question of its requirement--a real blow to two Master classes not being able to use a ranged weapon of any kind; not even a one-star, PA-less handgun at that! My proposal to Sonic Team is to make a special but weak handgun a required item not unlike the Goggles while playing on Fighmaster and Masterforce.

III. Statistical Comparison

In the charts below, compared are seven different handguns of various A and S rank status.

http://www.segaroleplaying.com/atc/img/handguns_figure.a.gif

http://www.segaroleplaying.com/atc/img/handguns_figure.b.gif

Using the data gathered above, we can now produce results comparing the percentage the Attack Power rises from 0/10 grinds to 10/10 grinds on each respective weapon shown in Figure C. The same method is used in Figure D to compare grinds from 0/10 to 10/10 in Photon Point gain as well. Using this data--depending on one's Photon Art of choice--one's preference of handgun may vary, as a PA like Mayalee Hit will consume far greater PP than an elemental PA. Please take this into consideration for the amount of usage you will be using your handgun, how many Photon Charges you want to spare, and so forth.

http://www.segaroleplaying.com/atc/img/handguns_figure.c.gif

http://www.segaroleplaying.com/atc/img/handguns_figure.d.gif

IV. Aesthetic Quality

This is by far the most subjective topic regarding weapons as preferences for weapon aesthetics will vary person-to-person. When choosing a handgun, or any weapon, each player can decide between any number of handguns between its stats and how it looks. Some players may want to use a weaker handgun just because of looks while another player may want to use a very strong handgun even if he or she does not like how the weapon appears (or in some instances, this player does not care about looks, only stats). Another option in choosing weapons may be a balance between looks and stats of varying degrees, even carrying different weapons on the weapons pallet for variety. This author's favorite handgun is the Vipric for its dark gray, sleek body.

Featured Handguns:

http://www.segaroleplaying.com/atc/img/handguns_rubybullet.jpg http://www.segaroleplaying.com/atc/img/handguns_varista.jpg

http://www.segaroleplaying.com/atc/img/handguns_bdukimaganac.jpg http://www.segaroleplaying.com/atc/img/handguns_bdukiboa.jpg

http://www.segaroleplaying.com/atc/img/handguns_viper.jpg http://www.segaroleplaying.com/atc/img/handguns_vipric.jpg

http://www.segaroleplaying.com/atc/img/handguns_storm.jpg

Nirvash7
Jun 14, 2008, 10:45 AM
ummm...Rifles ftw?

Yusaku_Kudou
Jun 14, 2008, 11:00 AM
You took in the whole article in 4 minutes of my posting of it? Not every class can use a rifle.

Dragwind
Jun 14, 2008, 11:06 AM
Very nice composition. I actually enjoyed reading the whole thing, and now I'm interested in grinding myself a B'duki Maganac.

furrypaws
Jun 14, 2008, 11:11 AM
Funny thing, I always have used handguns on my beast, always will. Yes, they actually do come quite in handy, they're the only weapons I'm focusing on as I raise his Ranger stat to 10. The Ice PA especially comes in handy with missions with higher leveled creatures, even if the freeze lasts for only 5 seconds or so, that's five seconds I don't take 100-200 damage a hit.

This was a pretty interesting read.

And my goodness, Varista gets a very nice grind boost. I'll need to grind that with my Sange when the grind boost rolls around.

Realmz
Jun 14, 2008, 11:16 AM
I think i might fore go getting a Ruby Bullet and instead focus grinders on my Varista's and make a B'duki Maganac

Vent
Jun 14, 2008, 11:29 AM
This is by far the most subjective topic regarding weapons as preferences for weapon aesthetics will vary person-to-person.

This is probably the most convincing topic ever, although you mean objective there, instead of subjective.

Handguns aren't bad at all, just like sabers. It's just many people find them pretty boring, since it's kind of your daily hit man gun.

desturel
Jun 14, 2008, 12:24 PM
I
Does anybody even level their handgun PAs to 40?

Burning Hit is 31. The next closest one is rising hit which is 27 IIRC. But since I'm mainly using them on a fortetecher they can't get past 30 anyway. I got my burning hit to 31 as a guntecher, but there are too many other weapons to use as a guntecher. Fortefighter is restricted to lvl 20 bullets and my fortefighter has all of my other bullets. 20 frozen hit 20 plasma hit 20 grav hit etc.

Hiero_Glyph
Jun 14, 2008, 12:44 PM
Until some of the better S-rank Handguns are released the Twin Handguns put their single bretheren to shame. Given how powerful the Twin Ruby Bullet is at 0/10 and especially at 10/10 I see no reason to ever use a single handgun until something can even come close to it in total damage.

As you mentioned in your article, handguns are situational at best. Having the option to pair a single handgun with a single weapon is minor when compared to the increase that a twin handgun will provide. What's worse is that a card will put a handgun to shame in total damage and any class that cannot use a rifle more than likely has access to cards.

The handgun does serve a roll, but given how well the other ranged weapons work I see no reason to use one at this point. If you really wanted to make your article a better read you would compare handguns to cards, macheineguns, twin handguns and even rifles. The problem is that once you do this you will quickly see how weak a handgun is compared to any of the other ranged weapons. I do hope that SEGA releases better S-rank handguns soon, but until then I will be more than happy using other ranged weapons.

EDIT: The one strength of the handgun is that it can use first-person view (FPV). This is mandatory for some missions and bosses and even the minimal damage is better than nothing. The problem is that many of the classes that have access to handguns can also use twin handguns which also provide FPV and, as was stated previously, the handgun cannot compare statistically to their twin counterpart.

stukasa
Jun 14, 2008, 12:45 PM
Wow, nice guide! Definitely one of the most interesting and best laid out guides I've ever seen on this site. *thumbs up* :D

That said, the problem with handguns is that unless you're a fF you always have a better ranged option. The only character I use a handgun on is my fT, and that's only for breaking boxes and hitting switches. A lot of classes have access to twin handguns, which are much better than single handguns, or traps, which are much better at dealing SEs.

I don't play fF but I imagine this guide will mostly be useful for that class. Even though they don't have any better options, handguns actually aren't that bad.

Theoderic
Jun 14, 2008, 03:04 PM
I personally believe that Handguns can go in very good directions if there were some tweaks... Maybe if there was an even lower PP cost per bullet, about 50% of what they cost now... Or maybe even if all bullets did the splash damage of Mayalee Hit... I would maybe even think more power, but I feel Handgun is a utility weapon, not a damage dealer, and should be given something to make it stand out... Every other gun has a unique effect to them (quite a few have 2).

Ignoring SE levels, elemental %, flinch, FPS mode, and Frag PAs...

Bow boasts long range and ignores enemy defense
Rifle boasts long range and has knockdown
Grenade hits at most 6 hit spots (even on the same enemy)
Shotgun has a 1-5 spread shot and has splash damage giving 20%-100% increase in damage per hit
Crossbow has a 1-3 spread shot and can fire while strafing
Laser Cannon has a seemingly infinite pierce (I think it has a maximum number of targets, try it on boss boxes in a line)
Machinegun has high hit per second ratio and can fire while strafing
Twin Handgun fires 2 bullets per shot and can fire while strafing
Cards have 2-3 homing bullets

Handgun has features borrowed from other guns, but is in no way a jack-of-all-trades gun, as ANY gun outperforms it in any situation calling for guns to be used on any class except for FF. Any class needing FPS can use another, more powerful (more effective for said situation) gun. Handgun has no use, and I think that because it serves no purpose, at least FF should have level 40 Bullets... then maybe Handguns might be worth more than they are... shit, give FF S as well... Never mind their broken melee for the sake of creating a place for Handgun in the life of a Guardian.

Handgun ftw though...

Dhylec
Jun 14, 2008, 04:26 PM
Interesting guide. I think this will give people better idea about handguns. The charts are definitely nice visual aides.
This is added to the guide sticky, feel free to update & improve.
Now, go on to other weapon types if you dare. ;]

MaximusLight
Jun 14, 2008, 04:37 PM
What about the handgun's base accuracy?
As I recall motoob versions and the PSO guns are higher.

biggabertha
Jun 15, 2008, 08:24 AM
*Looks for Hrith's input*

I'm fairly sure that Hrith has a good deal of Handgun PAs to Lv. 40 including that expensive Mayalee Hit.

Mayalee Hit costs 27PP for me to use as a Protranser and will cost the same for a Guntecher but will cost 22PP (I think) for a Fortegunner. Other classes that do not have access to Lv. 40 bullets aren't going to get much mileage out of this PA. In fact, Fortegunner is really the only one to get the best out of this PA because of the cost and the the fact that the HP absorbed is based off of your damage. Fortegunner has the most ATP of all three of the classes that can use this PA at it's maximum level so it's best in their hands.

Mayalee Hit's other interesting aspect is the higher accuracy modifier on it compared to the other seven Handgun bullets.

Mayalee Hit does take a longer time to restore your health when you compare it to a Trimate but the fact that you're getting HP for free and at a fairly fast rate is something really nice to have. So long as I hit a target, I will almost always refill my HP by at least 60% before my Handgun runs out and I'm using a Storm 5/8. I'll always get full health if I manage to hit two targets with every shot.

Finally, I'd like to add that I felt that leveling this PA was much faster and somewhat easier than the elemental PAs just because of the number of hits it can deal. Penetrating Hit is similar too but that's extremely weak and I have Laser Cannons to use instead of that. Maybe Acrofighter and Fighgunner might benefit from it a bit better but at Lv. 20 and Lv. 30... those stats aren't so hot...

I do like Handguns though, love underdog type weapons and classes but I always get emo about them damn human emotions.

Cranberry
Jun 15, 2008, 10:07 AM
Gurhal really needs some gun control laws. The crime rate on Gurhal is out of control. I've been held up twice in my room by mofia members looking to steal my berry pie. It seems like every person is running around with a gun, even 12 year olds. It's worse than the slums on Parum. I've complained to the Rappy Police at least 12 times about it, but they just peck me in the groin and run off. What a helpless situation.

dc534
Jun 15, 2008, 03:46 PM
accuracy is only meaningful on low level skills once they are lvled you rarely miss even with a beast. Also isnt their a bonus using the storm with the stormline? I know only one class can do this, FiG, but still that bonus should be taken into account.

Scottbot
Jun 15, 2008, 05:20 PM
can someone please do this for rifles for me, would appreciate it just like this. welldone

Astarin
Jun 15, 2008, 05:33 PM
Also isnt their a bonus using the storm with the stormline? I know only one class can do this, FiG, but still that bonus should be taken into account.

Fighgunner, Fortegunner, Guntecher, Acrofighter and Acrotecher can all use this combo.

Stryker Diaz
Jun 15, 2008, 06:39 PM
I love my Ruby Bullet, it being paired with my Crimson makes for a great combo I know that sounds noobish and all but its my preference since both weapons look bad ass to me. First begin to shoot with handgun applying whatever SE you want then Gravity strike knocking them far back, follow while shooting with handgun then repeat. Idk but it just seems very useful. That and well for the non-elitest just use your favorite coolest guns :P even if its just a "useless' handgun >>

Hiero_Glyph
Jun 15, 2008, 09:27 PM
I love my Ruby Bullet, it being paired with my Crimson makes for a great combo I know that sounds noobish and all but its my preference since both weapons look bad ass to me. First begin to shoot with handgun applying whatever SE you want then Gravity strike knocking them far back, follow while shooting with handgun then repeat. Idk but it just seems very useful. That and well for the non-elitest just use your favorite coolest guns :P even if its just a "useless' handgun >>

If you really want a big boost to your handgun while using your Crimson, equip a Crimson Line. The set bonus will also apply to the handgun you are using in your off hand. The set bonus will give you an extra 150 ATP, 75 ATA, 35 DFP and 20 EVP. This combo will easily outpace the set bonus from a Storm/Storm Line and more importantly you are free to use any handgun you want. The only negative to this setup is that you will not be able to use a head slot so this may not be ideal for a techer hybrid.

panzer_unit
Jun 16, 2008, 09:37 AM
... not use a head slot OR Paradi Cataract.

I use handguns a lot; my character's primary job is Protranser where handgun is the only one-handed / mobile option and possibly their best single target ranged damage. SE3 handguns can status single enemies very quickly with good range and mobility to close in for hand-to-hand combat, and leaves you with room to dodge attacks from un-statused casters etc. Using handguns for killing damage burns through batteries very quickly though, dropping a lv140 Bal Soza with lv27 Grav Hit eats about half a charge bar on my Protranser's Viper+4... so my suggestion is that everyone except Fortegunners should probably be thinking about favoring PP (Varista) or PP/ATP balance (Ruby Bullet) over pure attack power (B'duki Maganac) if they're going to give them a serious role on their palette.

Are those per-level ATP numbers right? I thought my handgun skills went up 11% ATP going from 30->31, the damage increase when your bullet goes top-tier is actually very significant.

Also for skills; Penetrating Hit is worth looking at being a very unique effect for handgun. It's very effective for staggering every monster in a group as you rush them down with a melee weapon. Any other single-handed firearm attack will hit only the lead monsters in the group allowing the guys in back to start throwing foie etc.

Yusaku_Kudou
Jun 16, 2008, 09:45 AM
... not use a head slot OR Paradi Cataract.

I use handguns a lot; my character's primary job is Protranser where handgun is the only "mobile" firearm option. SE3 handguns can status single enemies very quickly with good range and mobility to close in for hand-to-hand combat or to dodge attacks from un-statused casters etc. Using handguns for killing damage burns through batteries very quickly though, dropping a lv140 Bal Soza with lv27 Grav Hit eats about half a charge bar on my Protranser's Viper+4... so my suggestion is that everyone except Fortegunners should probably be thinking about favoring PP (Varista) or PP/ATP balance (Ruby Bullet) over pure attack power (B'duki Maganac) if they're going to give them a serious role on their palette.

Are those per-level ATP numbers right? I thought my handgun skills went up 11% ATP going from 30->31, the damage increase when your bullet goes top-tier is actually very significant.

Also for skills; Penetrating Hit is worth looking at being a very unique effect for handgun. It's very effective for staggering every monster in a group as you rush them down with a melee weapon. Any other single-handed firearm attack will hit only the lead monsters in the group allowing the guys in back to start throwing foie etc.

Thank you for your input, you sound like a serious handgun user.

Andy1423
Jun 16, 2008, 09:59 AM
Don't forget that when using the STORM combo/set the resultant Damage for the Storm is actually 450!!!!