PDA

View Full Version : Sonic Unleashed. worthy of being called... Sonic 4?

Saner
Jun 18, 2008, 07:49 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPvLVg_qNfg

I always felt 2.5D perspective would work great for a modern Sonic game. fixes the
camera issues.

Iduno
Jun 18, 2008, 08:29 AM
Wow that actualy looks like it might boost sonic back to glory

The absolute BEST part of that trailer though is that sonic never opened his mouth

Ryosuke_Kura
Jun 18, 2008, 08:45 AM
We'll have to see.
At the moment it's looking Sonic Unleashed is looking GREAT.
If the story is decent, and they keep up the good speedy platforming, Sega will have a winner (as in Sonic 4 =].)

Edit: I didn't watch the trailer posted in here at first, but when I did watch it my mouth was open with amazement.
Just the speed they have given Sonic in this game is so cool.

KodiaX987
Jun 18, 2008, 09:08 AM
...Did Sonic just do a drift turn? :wacko:

Midicronica
Jun 18, 2008, 09:24 AM
Look great and I'll definitely be playing. Hopefully, it'll make all the retro Sonic whiners to shut the fuck up.

Solstis
Jun 18, 2008, 10:04 AM
Hopefully, Sega doesn't try to make it all hip and cool.

Video looks great, though. Looks like some parts play like a Burnout level. Neat.

Sord
Jun 18, 2008, 10:08 AM
I still say it looks like Sonic Rivals, save the camera can move behind you now and the graphics are better. As such, I'm still not convinced that this is going to make up for a lot of where Sonic has failed lately.

The absolute BEST part of that trailer though is that sonic never opened his mouth
QFT

Weeaboolits
Jun 18, 2008, 10:54 AM
That does look cool, I hope it turns out as good as that looks.

DjDragoon
Jun 18, 2008, 11:42 AM
It almost looks like Yuji Naka came back to work on this one. ^_^

Sol_B4dguy
Jun 18, 2008, 12:43 PM
Sonic not only never says a word, it actually looks fun. I might actually look forward to this one.

Jaspaller
Jun 18, 2008, 01:21 PM
The Sonic Rush games for DS were pretty good IMO. I hope this game turns out just as good if not better.

Eihwaz
Jun 18, 2008, 01:33 PM
That looked like fun.

Toadthroat
Jun 18, 2008, 02:55 PM
This game looks like it has a bad case of "Hold right to win" and not enough platforming.

Saner
Jun 18, 2008, 03:02 PM
hmmmm, yeah well that stage seems to aim at high level speed than precision platforming.
maybe it will have a mix of both.

Jaspaller
Jun 18, 2008, 03:15 PM
The parts where it just heads straight (rollercoaster style) seems to be different from the Sonic 06 (and I guess Sonic Wii). The lane changing idea seems like a cool change compared to the previous two versions.

VanHalen
Jun 18, 2008, 03:49 PM
Looks very promising. I got really excited watching the video. You can do it Segac!

Sgt_Shligger
Jun 18, 2008, 03:50 PM
If you noticed, Toad, there were a lot of button presses and timing things so I'm guessing that there will be strict time limits to go for if you want to get anything neat. Also, if you want to platform go to shitty Sonic Adventure. The game's about speed >:U

Toadthroat
Jun 18, 2008, 03:54 PM
Play the original sonics and tell me the game is about speed over platforming.
And I didn't see any button presses, except maybe the wall jumping and a few QTE-like things. Nonetheless, I still see move HOLD RIGHT TO WIN over anything else.

Sgt_Shligger
Jun 18, 2008, 04:07 PM
Button presses for dodging left/right/center and such. It had a bunch of reaction movements to keep momentum I'm guessing. Not sure if a Sonic game can compete with old style slow platforming. It needs to have something to make it different.

Saner
Jun 18, 2008, 04:19 PM
ya, Sgt I agree, if this is more speed and reaction based instead of slow paced platforming,
this is a good formula for a new Sonic game, but it would be cool if the level design added
a slower/alternate route for exploration fans and people who want power-ups, chaos
emeralds, and other secrets.

Sgt_Shligger
Jun 18, 2008, 04:30 PM
I'm not saying I want no platforming but I'd like to see a lot of reaction-time platforming and a lot of really fast paced platforming where you cover a lot of distance in a short period of platforming.

VanHalen
Jun 18, 2008, 04:34 PM
. Also, if you want to platform go to shitty Sonic Adventure.

. platform go to shitty Sonic Adventure.

. shitty Sonic Adventure.

*tears* ;_;

Toadthroat
Jun 18, 2008, 04:47 PM
YEAH, I LIKED SONIC ADVENTURE!

Wyndham
Jun 18, 2008, 05:12 PM
I liked Sonic Adventure as well.

Sord
Jun 18, 2008, 05:19 PM
*jumps the bandwagon*

I liked Adventure as well, sure, it had serious camera problems that caused countless falls to the death, but the series was a step in the right direction.

Tessu
Jun 18, 2008, 05:24 PM
Aww, what ever happened to the angelic chorus of "SEEEEGA"?

Anyway, it looks fun! But if it doesn't have chao raising, I'm not interested. <<
I liked playing the Sonic games and all, but really, if it weren't for the chao, I probably wouldn't care for them too much.

Darkly
Jun 18, 2008, 05:27 PM
i am still obviously hesitant - you should all remember sonic's going to be a warewolf for half the game lol.
but yeh i feel like an abused fanboy and sega is my abusive boyfriend, he keeps hurting me but everytime he promises he will change i believe him, i really do.

Sgt_Shligger
Jun 18, 2008, 06:01 PM
Sonic Adventure was decent but I really hated any level that you played as not-Sonic and not-Shadow. Robot levels a gem finding was so shitty. Chao garden was fun and multiplayer racing was fun.

Iduno
Jun 18, 2008, 06:33 PM
This game looks like it has a bad case of "Hold right to win" and not enough platforming.

Meh its only one level shown so there is still hope

Please Sega...

Broodstar1337
Jun 18, 2008, 07:02 PM
Hold right to win
Running into enemies kills them
Werewolf Sonic

I don't need to wait for the return of every animal friend ever, the addition of new animal friends, the new SUPERGRIMDARK enemy we get to fight next to say no to this piece of trash.

If anyone's looking for me, I'll be playing Sonic 2.

Jaspaller
Jun 18, 2008, 07:45 PM
Sonic Adventure was awesome! Hated Big and Amy's levels in SA1 and hated Tails/Robotnik Levels in SA2 though.

Eihwaz
Jun 18, 2008, 08:38 PM
Sonic Adventure 2 had its moments, mainly when you were controlling Sonic/Shadow, raising Chao, or playing the surprisingly entertaining multiplayer.

Saner
Jun 19, 2008, 07:09 AM
you see, I always felt the chao raising stuff really ruined the Sonic franchise further.
the series isn't supposed to involve some carebear nonsense. and their "kawaiiness" is
not a good excuse to include such needless Chao features. :p

Sord
Jun 19, 2008, 09:16 AM
you see, I always felt the chao raising stuff really ruined the Sonic franchise further.
the series isn't supposed to involve some carebear nonsense. and their "kawaiiness" is
not a good excuse to include such needless Chao features. :p

How the hell does a completely optional thing ruin a game. You can play the entire game from beginning to end without ever having to touch a damn chao.

Zorafim
Jun 19, 2008, 09:31 AM
Huh, they kept the run into enemy mechanic, I see. While you probably have to hold some button or do something to unlock it, it can quickly make the level too easy. It also takes away from ingenuity of killing enemies. Jumping was fine in the older series, since you kept most of your momentum, and th homing attack was fine since you could keep on going after you use it. This, I can't say I like very much.

Well, the level so far doesn't seem half bad. The movement was beautifully done, unfortunately I can't attest for the fun of actually controlling it. It looks promising, but I won't expect anything considering I haven't played a Sonic I liked since SA:2.

Saner
Jun 19, 2008, 10:24 AM
even those Chao were optional, they could of saved the time and work developing those
things into improving other aspects/features of the Sonic game. :p

Mysterious-G
Jun 19, 2008, 10:28 AM
I agree that Chaos were pretty useless on other consoles than the DC.
But having a lil chao on my DC memory card to take it everywhere... Memories

I was a little kid, when my beloved Chao (which name I forgot...Shame on me...) died all of a sudden..
I cried. :cry: (And decided to cheat on that dark day, to revive it from te death with superior stats to beat those damn race chaos... I thought they made it run to death... I think the metal ones were the ones... No way I could have beat them legittly...)

Weeaboolits
Jun 19, 2008, 11:20 AM
even those Chao were optional, they could of saved the time and work developing those
things into improving other aspects/features of the Sonic game. :pThe chao were my favorite part of the game. :(

I demand Chao Adventure as a stand alone game. ;(

Sord
Jun 19, 2008, 11:36 AM
things into improving other aspects/features of the Sonic game. :p

Even in the later games (shadow the hedgehog, Heros,) the same major issues persisted. You're fooling yourself if you honestly think Sega would have done anything with that extra time. The game most likely just would have been a couple months sooner.

Iduno
Jun 19, 2008, 11:49 AM
on the gamecube my chao data (and my game data) kept deleting itself every now and then so the chao stayed on Sonic Advance most of the time :(

Nitro Vordex
Jun 19, 2008, 01:31 PM
Does anyone else think Sonic got...shorter?? Like, they made a 3d render of his original 2d self?

SubstanceD
Jun 19, 2008, 01:53 PM
I don't want to get my hopes up for this game, not after Sonic the Hedgehog on the 360. Pretty much ruined Sonic games for me forever.

amtalx
Jun 19, 2008, 02:17 PM
Sure Sonic can compete with "slow" paced platforming. You just need a solid designer. Mario hasn't changed its formula for 20 years, but the games still sell like its 1985. That's because Nintendo has managed to hold on to the people that made them great though.

Toadthroat
Jun 19, 2008, 02:26 PM
Does anyone else think Sonic got...shorter?? Like, they made a 3d render of his original 2d self?

Thats the point. "Going back to the roots". But the roots of Sonic didn't have some stupid GRIMNDARK EDGY storyline with werehogs and all kinds of other stupid shit the Sonic storyline has been up to lately.

Nitro Vordex
Jun 19, 2008, 02:44 PM
The Sonic storyline is a lie, I thought you knew that.

After Sonic Adventure 2, they all had a party to celebrateShadow's death the Ark not falling into Earth. Sonic got shitfaced drunk, and now he's in a drunken sleep, imagining all of the Sonic games we see right now. Sonic Unleashed is a flashback of sorts, like having a memory/dream turn into something else.

Meanwhile, he's in a coma in one of the hospitals in Station Square.