PDA

View Full Version : Firefox 3

TalHex
Jun 19, 2008, 05:59 PM
so i DL'd it, its really fast... and sexy... for a web browser...

Chuck_Norris
Jun 19, 2008, 06:09 PM
Is it free?

Nitro Vordex
Jun 19, 2008, 06:18 PM
Yes Chuck, Firefox has always been free.

I gotta say, it's definetly a step in the right direction.

Chuck_Norris
Jun 19, 2008, 06:19 PM
Yes Chuck, Firefox has always been free.

I gotta say, it's definetly a step in the right direction.

Bah, I don't wanna bother downloading it.

Shadowpawn
Jun 19, 2008, 06:28 PM
Bah, I don't wanna bother downloading it.

Don't be a Nazi, Download Firefox or we will eat your next of kin!

Chuck_Norris
Jun 19, 2008, 06:32 PM
Don't be a Nazi, Download Firefox or we will eat your next of kin!

Chuck Norris does not have "Kin". Chuck Norris eats all of Chuck Norris' siblings.

SpikeOtacon
Jun 19, 2008, 06:32 PM
It is a step in the right direction. The memory usage is still a bit high for my liking but the speed is there and for that I can forgive it.

astuarlen
Jun 19, 2008, 06:43 PM
I'm a little disappointed. I mean, it's fine, but nothing to make me switch permanently, so far. Perhaps I am just not maximizing my experience and utilizing its full potential. The scrolling tabs are kind of cool, but I keep "losing" them. And I keep hitting back trying to open a new tab, but that's just a habit I have. I really don't like that the memory usage doesn't fall when minimized, especially considering how much it takes!

Weeaboolits
Jun 19, 2008, 06:47 PM
It's not compatable with my JapanBlack skin, this makes me sad. :(

*wanders off in search of a new black browser skin*

Dhylec
Jun 19, 2008, 06:50 PM
I'm waiting for the next update before upgrading mine. ;]

Nitro Vordex
Jun 19, 2008, 07:03 PM
The scrolling tabs are kind of cool, but I keep "losing" them. And I keep hitting back trying to open a new tab, but that's just a habit I have.
If you want to open a new tab, just use "ctrl+T".

astuarlen
Jun 19, 2008, 07:18 PM
Yes, so I see, and it's not a knock against FF. I'm simply used to hitting a button on the far left, as in Opera.

Nitro Vordex
Jun 19, 2008, 07:24 PM
And here's a site if you want more skins guys.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/browse/type:2

Weeaboolits
Jun 19, 2008, 07:30 PM
I double click on the tab bar.

Also all the FF3 compatable skins suck, I want my blackjapan back. :<

Nitro Vordex
Jun 19, 2008, 07:34 PM
I have In The Dark, because I can't stand bright colors in my browser. (See: IE)

Weeaboolits
Jun 19, 2008, 07:37 PM
I'm using the Zune one, but I hate the large orange buttons, there's only like 3 black one though.

SpikeOtacon
Jun 19, 2008, 07:41 PM
Personas (http://labs.mozilla.com/2007/12/personas-for-firefox/) still works, if you are into that sort of re-skinning.

There's nothing good on there but I thought it would be worth mentioning.

Sord
Jun 19, 2008, 07:43 PM
I'm using the Zune one, but I hate the large orange buttons, there's only like 3 black one though.

Unless you're refering to a theme other than the general XP one, the only large orange button I see is the Start button. If you are refering to the theming of something else, please do tell what, as I actually like the black and orange scheme (though nothing beats black and silver in my book.)

Nitro Vordex
Jun 19, 2008, 07:43 PM
@Ronin-Get In The Dark, I bet you'd like it. :wacko:

@Spike-Do you make your own there or what?

SpikeOtacon
Jun 19, 2008, 07:45 PM

@Spike-Do you make your own there or what?

I'm pretty sure you can, but I think it only covers the background and not the buttons. There's more info on the forums for it but they're down right now.

EDIT:

Nevermind, found the guide on how to make your own.

https://people.mozilla.com/~cbeard/personas/designers/

Weeaboolits
Jun 19, 2008, 07:49 PM
Unless you're refering to a theme other than the general XP one, the only large orange button I see is the Start button. If you are refering to the theming of something else, please do tell what, as I actually like the black and orange scheme (though nothing beats black and silver in my book.)Talking about the firefox theme, not the windows one, I rather enjoy the black start bar and window borders, and the orange start menue is a lot better than that ugly green one on the silver.

Nitro Vordex
Jun 19, 2008, 07:50 PM
and the orange start menue is a lot better than that ugly green one on the silver.

>:|

I happen to prefer that "ugly" green on silver thank you.

Weeaboolits
Jun 19, 2008, 07:53 PM
>:|

I happen to prefer that "ugly" green on silver thank you.It's not the silver I dislike, I'm just not fond of that shade of green.

Sord
Jun 19, 2008, 08:05 PM

I have that guy's theme for Trillian, didn't know he had a Firefox theme. That's enough to make me bother DLing firefox.

Ketchup345
Jun 19, 2008, 08:16 PM
Yes, so I see, and it's not a knock against FF. I'm simply used to hitting a button on the far left, as in Opera.Right click any space in the toolbar, and click Customize. You can move (drag and drop) icons to your desired position. You can also adjust the size of the icons or add new ones and add dividers.

I really don't like that the memory usage doesn't fall when minimized, especially considering how much it takes!In the 2.x series, you could change that in about:config (type "about:config" into the address bar and hit go/enter). Trying this, Firefox 3.0 has a "This may void your warranty" screen. Don't worry, if you keep your bookmarks saved, you can always just reinstall if you mess soemthing critical up.

Randomness
Jun 19, 2008, 08:19 PM
Warranties? On a free product?

Ketchup345
Jun 19, 2008, 08:25 PM
Joke I'm assuming. Try and keep people out who don't know what they are doing/about to do.

Randomness
Jun 19, 2008, 08:33 PM
Oh. Like the silly click-through blocks on certain folders with Windows.

TalHex
Jun 19, 2008, 08:34 PM
ah yes, program files, i've messed with mine probably more then is good

Randomness
Jun 19, 2008, 08:36 PM
Oh, I mess in there all the time. Its mostly for third-party stuff, so its clear whats what from the folder names. Its generally Company\Program\Data and stuff for program.

TalHex
Jun 19, 2008, 08:38 PM
yeah, you can do some pretty cool stuff with retexturing simply by replacing files and character models for games

Randomness
Jun 19, 2008, 08:38 PM
Generally, most game mods you just dump somewhere in the games folder, its wonderfully simple.

TalHex
Jun 19, 2008, 08:43 PM
yeah but occasionally you get a particularly stubborn game where they don't want you to have mods, like most mmos, then you have to do some more complicated work ^.^ really helps to know you files

astuarlen
Jun 19, 2008, 09:06 PM
Thanks for the tips, Ketchup. Got me a new tab button now (though, woe is me, I can't put it where I want it).

I tried the config.trim_on_minimize tweak, but it doesn't appear to be doing anything. :???: Is I a dummy or what?

Ketchup345
Jun 19, 2008, 09:18 PM
Thanks for the tips, Ketchup. Got me a new tab button now (though, woe is me, I can't put it where I want it).

I tried the config.trim_on_minimize tweak, but it doesn't appear to be doing anything. :???: Is I a dummy or what?Where do you have it now and where do you want it? A small (cropped) screenshot with MS Paint drawn arrows may help.

Nitro Vordex
Jun 19, 2008, 09:47 PM
about:config post

Yes, I went back and did that too, and it does nothing.

Syl
Jun 20, 2008, 01:22 AM
My only gripe with it so far is that the themes don't seem to affect the scroll bar and the bar on the bottom. Seeing white is pretty blah compared to the rest of the window.

Nitro Vordex
Jun 20, 2008, 02:00 AM
You didn't get a one with colored bars then. ;)

astuarlen
Jun 20, 2008, 02:17 AM
Where do you have it now and where do you want it? A small (cropped) screenshot with MS Paint drawn arrows may help.

Ideally? In line with the tabs. I don't think the button can be dragged there, however.

In any case, that's not my real concern, though I appreciate your helpful intentions. I'm no expert, so maybe I just don't know what's up, but I'd rather not have FF eating (allegedly) 200K o' my lucky charms memory when I'm working on a big file in PS and possibly doing other things and need all I can get (I think?). *shrug* How did you get the minimizing tweak to work?

Link00seven
Jun 20, 2008, 04:46 PM
I'm real happy with the new browser. I had Firefox 2 for Mac and I hated it, but it was incredible on Windows. Firefox 3 is incredible on both platforms. Fast, nice interface, add-ons, etc.

8.3 million downloads in the first 24 hours. Awesome! Go Mozilla!

Shadowpawn
Jun 20, 2008, 04:56 PM
I'm no expert, so maybe I just don't know what's up, but I'd rather not have FF eating (allegedly) 200K o' my lucky charms memory...

300k....

astuarlen
Jun 20, 2008, 04:58 PM
It's worse than I thought. Someone needs to make a cereal run--and fast!

Can someone with more tech savvy than me please explain how FF3 can be described as "fast"? This is not a sarcastic comment; I don't know what makes a particular browser fast.

Nitro Vordex
Jun 20, 2008, 05:00 PM
How fast a page loads coupled with you internets.

Sgt_Shligger
Jun 20, 2008, 05:18 PM
I'm using it currently. It does load pages faster but that's not much of an advancement since other browsers already do that <_>

Shadowpawn
Jun 20, 2008, 05:21 PM
For me, the big plus is the way it handles memory now. It's not as bad as it was before, with six tabs open I got it at 135k (however that is still overkill if you have only a gig of ram. Thank god I upgraded)

astuarlen
Jun 20, 2008, 05:25 PM
How fast a page loads coupled with you internets.

But what is it that makes today's homes so different, so appealing? Firefox render pages more quickly than IE, Safari, Opera, etc?

Sekani
Jun 20, 2008, 05:37 PM
But what is it that makes today's homes so different, so appealing? Firefox render pages more quickly than IE, Safari, Opera, etc?

Good question, with connection speeds as fast as they are people often don't notice "slow" pages (or just attribute them to lag).

For an example though, try loading up any article page on IGN. For some idiotic reason the white background behind the text (making everything actually readable) loads last. The page becomes readable a few seconds sooner on Firefox 3 than on any other browser I've tried.

Why this is is beyond my abilities to explain.

Shadowpawn
Jun 20, 2008, 05:49 PM
Interesting, clicking on the favicon (the icon next to the url bar) lets you see who runs the website your on. o.O

astuarlen
Jun 20, 2008, 06:52 PM
Good question, with connection speeds as fast as they are people often don't notice "slow" pages (or just attribute them to lag).

For an example though, try loading up any article page on IGN. For some idiotic reason the white background behind the text (making everything actually readable) loads last. The page becomes readable a few seconds sooner on Firefox 3 than on any other browser I've tried.

Why this is is beyond my abilities to explain.

Huh, so I tested this out w/ Firefox 3 vs Opera 9.25 (fresh windows, same pages), and the page did load about half a second faster in FF. And weirdly, when I went "back" to return from page Y to page X (same conditions for both), Opera was maybe a second faster. I don't think I'd notice either under normal conditions, though, but it's kind of interesting.

Pre-post edit: I did find some potentially informative stuff here (http://blog.pavlov.net/2008/03/11/firefox-3-memory-usage/).

No doubt we are making folks in-the-know lol. ;3