PDA

View Full Version : Does Off Topic seem more like the daily news?

Nitro Vordex
Jun 23, 2008, 02:18 AM
What happened to all of the interesting topics?

Come on, peak my interest!

Sgt_Shligger
Jun 23, 2008, 02:28 AM
The news is interesting.

Nitro Vordex
Jun 23, 2008, 02:44 AM
Not the "news" in here as of late. I won't name names either; I basically don't need to. >_>

SO! I shall look for more interesting things for Off Topic, and post them accordingly. :)

Retehi
Jun 23, 2008, 02:57 AM
Off-Topic is more of a copy and paste forum.

TheOneHero
Jun 23, 2008, 03:00 AM
Off Topic used to be much better.

News is fine though, after all, it's good to stay informed.

SpikeOtacon
Jun 23, 2008, 03:03 AM
I see off topic as kind of a "digg.com lite"

SubstanceD
Jun 23, 2008, 08:22 AM

News is fine though, after all, it's good to stay informed.

True.

Still, there some days when I come here and there isn't a single topic that I think is interesting enough to post in.

eXo
Jun 23, 2008, 10:13 AM
The news is interesting.
Agree

Solstis
Jun 23, 2008, 12:51 PM

I disagree.

I'd rather have Japanese video-game news from Saner than +1 post count threads. Saner posts things I wouldn't hear about otherwise (mostly because I don't care, but still).

LOL! WHATS YOUR FAV. BAND. WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE COLOuR. WHAT IS YOUR LEAST FAVOURITE COLoUR. WHATS YOUR FAVORITE GAME.

Ugh.

TheOneHero
Jun 23, 2008, 01:10 PM
I disagree.

I'd rather have Japanese video-game news from Saner than +1 post count threads. Saner posts things I wouldn't hear about otherwise (mostly because I don't care, but still).

LOL! WHATS YOUR FAV. BAND. WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE COLOuR. WHAT IS YOUR LEAST FAVOURITE COLoUR. WHATS YOUR FAVORITE GAME.

Ugh.

We used to have pretty decent discussion topics sometime back, at least much more that what we have now. =/

ABDUR101
Jun 23, 2008, 02:35 PM
George Carlin dieing, thread worthy news post. Earthquake in China, thread worthy news post. The gas prices around the world, interesting read, worthy of a thread.

The Love Guru coming in last at the box office, not thread worthy; barely even conversation worthy. It doesn't help that most of the news articles being posted are right off the Yahoo front page, which means pretty much everyone knows about them already. For thread-worthy news, that people actually give a shit to read and have an opinion/discussion about, sure, make a thread; but when it comes down to making threads about what seems to be pretty much any article you happen to see on a news front page; no, cease and desist, put thought into whether it's actually worth discussing on a forum.

Most of us, if we want to skim over the daily news, we have plenty of sites that have it right there for us; major events and interesting articles worth discussing, A-ok. Box office smashes/failures, someone being 'heckled' at an award show, the latest Britney Spears bullshit, no; not worth mentioning in conversation let alone making a thread that will push other, more interesting topics away.

Atleast make sure the articles you're posting have a decent degree of discussion possible. Fuck, I could make a thread every day about my own bowel movements, what I did or did'nt do, how many fish I caught at the pond, etc; but no one would care, it'd be FKL'd or I'd get a warning for spamming. I see most news posts/threads about shit most of us don't care about to be spam.

I think it'd be nicer if most of those threads were chucked in the landfill instead of being posted in Off-topic, because they seem like clutter more than anything.

Darkly
Jun 23, 2008, 04:17 PM
To be honest i barely look at eXo's news topics for Abdur's reasoning above. The odd time i look at a saner topic if it's about a game i havn't seen/heard about yet.

I mean on forums you can always just not click on the topic, and i still see the odd good topic now and then here, its just i think its a lot more busier these days.

CelestialBlade
Jun 23, 2008, 04:37 PM
I haven't read it as much as I have here recently. I do a bit of a bad job keeping up-to-date on world events, mostly because most of them just end up pissing me off, but you guys here are capable of intelligent discussion and debate, and I enjoy that. So not only am I becoming informed, we all partake in sensible discussion of the issue. It's an amazingly rare thing in the world of internet forums, we should cherish it.

Saner's posts are a category of their own, and I enjoy reading them. Keeps me up-to-date on things I wouldn't hear about otherwise. I wouldn't mind this subforum being renamed to Saner News Network.

OP: What exactly do you want to see more of here in OT?

NPCMook
Jun 23, 2008, 04:44 PM
I tried to bring some flavor to Off-Topic, but I guess not many people care for Tabletop games =\ oh well

Eihwaz
Jun 23, 2008, 04:50 PM
I don't mind news posts or even threads about upcoming games, but I do have an issue when it's just a link to whatever's on Yahoo! news with the main info copy/pasted into the thread. Try to add your own thoughts people, I can click the link and read what you said quite easily!

Shadowpawn
Jun 23, 2008, 04:53 PM
It doesn't bother me very much, it's either news or what's your favorite [insert thing here] or game related nostalgia thread.

Sekani
Jun 23, 2008, 05:43 PM
The traffic here isn't high enough to worry about clutter. If something doesn't interest you, don't read or reply to it. That strategy works well for me.

Dragwind
Jun 23, 2008, 09:01 PM
Seems more like-

The News - Now expanded and dicussed.

I like reading about the news better here anyhow.

Split
Jun 23, 2008, 09:16 PM
where else can you find out about the latest game that's going to knock WoW off of its "throne"

EphekZ
Jun 24, 2008, 05:12 AM
We used to have pretty decent discussion topics sometime back, at least much more that what we have now. =/

Indeed, Saner's topics are rather annoying...
Most of the topics here are just: read and then reply with "cool!" or "neat!" etc.
None of these actually require thought. This is probably why I'm usually in rants, but I'd like it if OT could be more thoughtful too.

Merumeru
Jun 24, 2008, 04:43 PM
XD haha, cool links and interesting stories are a shitload more interesting than post count up topics