PDA

View Full Version : Love.

Tessu
Jun 23, 2008, 11:33 AM
I use the word "love" in serious and non-serious situations. Often times I will say it to my friends in a silly manner (I love you Kylie :3), and people seem to think that I'm degrading the word and its meaning by doing that...
...no. Just because I say "I love you" to all my friends doesn't mean I mean it any less than I would if I were saying it to my mom or dad. It doesn't mean it's just a term I throw around meaninglessly. The word itself was already meaningless, it's the concept that matters. With the help of dictionary.com, love is:

2. a feeling of warm personal attachment or deep affection, as for a parent, child, or friend.

Warm personal attachment and deep affection, to me, are things that can be shared between several people. Romantic desire isn't, but it's not like I romantically desire Kylie (sorry) and everyone else who I've ever said it to.

I had a friend who once said to me, 'I love you. And I don't toss that term around like you do.'
That really bothered me--I don't mean any harm by saying it to the people who I love.

The point is, when do you use it? When do you think it should be used? What's it mean to you?

Seority
Jun 23, 2008, 11:49 AM
I do "<3" to my online friends whom I'm friends with (just for kicks), but when I say the phrase "I love you" I put in into a term of deep connection love, either between DreX or my father kind of thing.
I understand the way you do it and I believe that's fine. As for your friend, to him/her they believe it's a deeper connection when they say it/hear it said and not a varity like you. It's just a miscomunication because we all don't think the same way on the same subject. This is probably the only reason DreX and I agrue if we do at all. Just miscomunication.

Darkly
Jun 23, 2008, 01:04 PM
Definately you can 'love' or be 'in love' - i think everyone knows the difference.

This seems to be a case of 'How I roll' more than anything - the point seority mentioned of miscommunication seems to fit, but finally, idk how you say it to your friend's etc. but if it's like you mentioned - saying 'i love you' is such a stronger statement (to me) than 'love you' etc.

p.s it may be because of the fact your typing out these statements?

if your using the same phrase for different meanings it is going to cause confusion.

CelestialBlade
Jun 23, 2008, 01:11 PM
I use it interchangeably between friends and loved ones, but how I use it is what gives it meaning. A word has no meaning in and of itself, it's the context you use the word in that actually defines it. If I'm talking to someone and I use the word love in reference to them, they know what I mean because of how I say it.

Too many people get hung up on static definitions of words, it's how you say and use words that truly makes them what they are, in my opinion.

Kylie
Jun 23, 2008, 01:37 PM
(I love you Kylie :3):love:

but it's not like I romantically desire Kylie (sorry)Hmph! I see how it is. :-( You were just using me. </3

Anyway, I like how Snow Patrol puts it in their song Chasing Cars:

"Those three words are said too much. They're not enough."

Anyone can say "I love you" these days, and many people do without being -in love-. I'm guilty of it. In fact, it's said so much in relationships that it's like a routine, and that doesn't mean anything. It's nothing more than a sentiment; you don't even need it. But for traditional romanticism's sake, it is a joy to ponder when the right time to say it to someone is, but that's a personal thing. /jumbled thoughts

EDIT: And I also say it to friends when I mean it lightly - I love you too Tessu :shy:

Not unless I know they won't confuse the meaning, though.

Out_Kast
Jun 23, 2008, 01:43 PM
Heck, I'm hardly old enough to encounter Love. And I haven't, so don't worry! :wacko: But I think if you can pull off saying 'I Love you' at precisely the right moment, the effect of the words can suddenly change dramatically from a simple statement to a confession of, say, adoration or something.

ABDUR101
Jun 23, 2008, 01:47 PM
I love very few people, because to me it does have a far deeper meaning. I don't use it with just anyone; I use it only with people who I would feel a great loss if they were to not be in my life.

Family, of course are told "I love you", not at random, or out of the blue, but if we're on the phone all of my siblings, my parents, nephews/neices etc we all tell each other "Goodbye I love you" before we hang up. My great grandmother instilled in my mother that you tell it to the ones closest to you before you part, because you never know when you might not see them again.

Aside from that, I rarely use it. I don't kid when I say it, if I utter it it's meant.

Unfortunately, people don't grasp the concept of just how deep it goes when I say it, or they'll say it to me as a friend and I have to tell them "Hey, I appreciate it, but I don't use or take that word lightly." just so they realise what it means to me.

I get that for many people it's just a way to describe that they like you. "I love you Brant, you're my favorite kind of person, you make me laugh so much." Also "I love that band", etc. Not a big deal, different context. If I direct it at a person, it's in the context that they know I mean I really love them, or they understand I love a certain aspect about them.

Just comes down to context.

Siertes
Jun 23, 2008, 01:52 PM
Such a dangerous word that "love" is. Different people give it different levels of importance and I'm scared to use it myself. The only person I use it with myself is my mom and probably only have one friend who I'd say I love (not romantically) but I'd probably never say it to him.

I say let people throw it around however they like. If love for you is something commonplace that you can apply to many people, then go for it. I myself just wont risk my own definition and feelings about love conflict with someone elses and lead to misunderstandings.

Solstis
Jun 23, 2008, 01:58 PM
I hate being in romantic situations and thinking: "Do I really have to say it? It's so lame."

Siertes
Jun 23, 2008, 02:04 PM
I hate being in romantic situations and thinking: "Do I really have to say it? It's so lame."

That line is often followed by "Come on, baby, just take your pants off."

Solstis, you pig :P

Solstis
Jun 23, 2008, 02:18 PM
(I can't help that I was built to meet and exceed Extra-Sexy Protocols v.2.1)

I don't tell my friends that I love them. At least, I don't recall doing so. Just don't want to have an awkward conversation afterwards.

Tessu, you might as well stop using the word Love in a casual way, probably save you some time and annoyance.

Tessu
Jun 23, 2008, 04:47 PM
(I can't help that I was built to meet and exceed Extra-Sexy Protocols v.2.1)

I don't tell my friends that I love them. At least, I don't recall doing so. Just don't want to have an awkward conversation afterwards.

Tessu, you might as well stop using the word Love in a casual way, probably save you some time and annoyance.

Well, it can sometimes be difficult explaining to people the phrase "platonic friendship love", especially if they're helpless guys. x_X But I get through it, and though the first post may not make it seem like it, I AM cautious of who I say it to. If I suspect said person is going to take me much more seriously than I'd like them to, I keep my mouth shut, or just say "like" as a substitute.

Nitro Vordex
Jun 23, 2008, 04:53 PM
Hm. I've only said this phrase to family members. And one other person, but she didn't feel that way. But nonetheless, I only say it when I mean it. It's a touchy subject, as everyone already knows. I don't really think, like Outkast, that I've had love yet either, so I'm not worrying about it. Sure, I'll joke very rarely about it(eg. I think of you fondly too), but other than that, I actually condone it. BUT, I only condone that when it's between teenagers, because they think it's a magical phrase that'll solve all their problems.

Damn, I sound old.

Sekani
Jun 23, 2008, 05:10 PM
It's all about context. Sounds like the OP's friend was just being an ass.

UnderscoreX
Jun 23, 2008, 08:55 PM
Guys aren't allowed to say I love you in jest to girls, as it's usually a green light to them saying "MOVE IN WITH ME" and "HAVE MY BABIES".

Leviathan
Jun 23, 2008, 09:04 PM

That.

All teenagers say "I LOVE YOU!" these days but they don't mean.

I'm also proud to be one of the ones that don't say that.

I don't think I've ever used the word like that. &I never will.

MaximusLight
Jun 23, 2008, 10:10 PM
This problem can be sloved easily:

Platonic love

:)

Broodstar1337
Jun 24, 2008, 10:31 AM
Love...

What IS love?

baby don't hurt me