PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know how to restore a Dell to its factory defaults? (UPDATE)

McLaughlin
Jun 23, 2008, 05:11 PM
My brother's (big shocker) Dimension E520 started Blue screening this morning, and it's had several other issues since last I formatted it (choppy screen scrolling, no Audio from the speakers), so I figure before I take it somewhere, I'll try this instead.

I know Dells have a Reset sort of thing, but I just don't know how to get at it.

If anyone knows how to do it (or another way to fix all the issues mentioned), I'd be very grateful. I'd call Dell Support, but I'm fairly certain they're closed right now. Plus, maybe making my brother sweat it out for a while will teach him to take better care of his computer.

Ketchup345
Jun 23, 2008, 05:18 PM
Dell support I think is 24/7.
Try Start -> Programs -> Dell Accessories.
If you do contact Dell, try and get the Windows install CD.

McLaughlin
Jun 23, 2008, 05:22 PM
Hmm. I'll have to dig up that number and try them later tonight.

What's really irritating is that I don't think they shipped his PC with an install disc. Or maybe that was mine... Either way, I have a feeling the choppiness and the lack of Audio is a result of missing/wrong drivers.

That's what happens when a noob like me reformats a PC for the first time.

Nitro Vordex
Jun 23, 2008, 05:23 PM
Are you running Windows XP? I know you can do a system recovery, and it does about the same thing.

McLaughlin
Jun 23, 2008, 05:27 PM
Yeah, he's on XP.

Powder Keg
Jun 23, 2008, 05:31 PM
Try restoring before using recovery CD(s). It should have come with one...

The real bitch about using recovery CDs on Dells (if it's a laptop, dunno about PCs) you have to find a shitload of the correct drivers to get your system running like you want again.

Sekani
Jun 23, 2008, 05:34 PM
New machines have a recovery partition that can be used to restore the factory defaults, but I forget offhand how that's accessed; haven't used it in a while.

Check your machine's instruction manual (if you haven't thrown it away) or Dell's website.

Pre-edit: On Vista machines you can start in Safe Mode <F8> then pick Repair your Computer. On Windows XP, hit Ctrl-F11 at the Dell logo when you turn the machine on to start the recovery process.

McLaughlin
Jun 23, 2008, 05:41 PM
I've been trying Ctrl+F11, but nothing happens. It goes from the Dell logo to some jargon about Windows encountering an area, and then it asks me how I want it to start up, with options like "Start Windows Normally" "Start from the last safe setup (last time it worked properly)" ect. I think there might have been a Start in Safe-Mode option.

And yes, looking for all the correct Drivers is a major pain, and part of the process I probably screwed up last time.

EDIT: Sometimes it just skips the Dell logo when starting up too. That thing disappears pretty quickly.

eXo
Jun 23, 2008, 05:41 PM
Pre-edit: On Vista machines you can start in Safe Mode <F8> then pick Repair your Computer. On Windows XP, hit Ctrl-F11 at the Dell logo when you turn the machine on to start the recovery process.

This is the most accurate answer so far dell units with windows XP or up have DSRDell System recovery, which is access by holding down ctrl & pressing F11. it will bring you to a preloaded norton ghost imagine. This should resolve the issue by restoring your unit to it's factory default, the only way that this option will not work is if the system has been reformated using a windows disc and even then you would have to delete the recovery petition.

Sekani
Jun 23, 2008, 05:51 PM
Ah yeah, could be when you formatted your machine you accidentally "broke" the automatic recovery function. You're gonna have to reinstall the OS manually, which will be difficult without a disk. As a last resort you could have Dell ship you a recovery disk, or you could talk to Dell tech support to see if they know any other options.

McLaughlin
Jun 23, 2008, 06:00 PM
Yeah, I'll have to do that then. At least I haven't had any problems with Dell Support before. >_>

I appreciate the help guys, thanks.

McLaughlin
Jun 24, 2008, 01:31 PM
Well, now I know how absurdly difficult it is to put in a stick of memory after removing it.

I spent an hour and a half trying to get it back in before the lady on the phone said she'd send an on-site technician over to fix it for me.

Why in God's name do they make it so hard? I was like, millimeters away from getting the clips to close, but the sticks just wouldn't go in any further, and I thought I was going to break them.

Whatever, my brother can go PC-less for a couple days. Sucks to be him.