PDA

View Full Version : I don't care if he died.

Uncle_bob
Jun 24, 2008, 01:45 AM
I don't care if some old bitter comedian died. I don't care. I didn't know him, and he had no impact on my life. Why are people always so enraged when I tell them that I don't care that these people die? Shit. :disapprove:

Solstis
Jun 24, 2008, 01:47 AM
They are the sort of people he would make fun of, I imagine.

EphekZ
Jun 24, 2008, 05:18 AM
I felt the same way when Health Ledger died. Some people idolize faces, some don't.
Also, like every human being, people get enraged when you disagree with their opinion towards someone or something.

Broodstar1337
Jun 24, 2008, 10:28 AM
Telling people you don't care about other people dying makes you come off as an insensitive douche who has no compassion for human life. Yeah, I hardly new the guy myself; never went to any of his routines; any of that stuff. I just don't say anything.

Uncle_bob
Jun 24, 2008, 07:51 PM
I guess I'm an insensitive douche, then. I just have no reason to care about the death of some old fart who had nothing to do with my life, and I don't want to listen to my friends ramble on about him.

Would he have cared if I died? No, annd I would not expect him to.

Deissa
Jun 24, 2008, 08:02 PM
They're in shock at your T-T-T-T-T-TOTAL EDGINESS

Delete
Jun 24, 2008, 09:00 PM
I think some people just have something called respect. The last person i know that died that really bothered me was Eddie guerrero. He was one of the best wwe wrestlers there was and always will be.

Sayara
Jun 24, 2008, 09:15 PM
Who died?

EphekZ
Jun 24, 2008, 09:21 PM

I bet if you said that to the people who were giving you shit, they'd probably change their minds too :wacko:

Uncle_bob
Jun 24, 2008, 09:33 PM
I bet if you said that to the people who were giving you shit, they'd probably change their minds too :wacko:

What.

stukasa
Jun 25, 2008, 12:18 AM
It's a sensitivity thing. He may not mean anything to you but he may have meant something to others. You don't have to care about someone you didn't know but try not to be so blunt when other people talk about it. Either that or don't be surprised when they react that way to you. ^^;

Who died?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Carlin

Uncle_bob
Jun 25, 2008, 01:51 AM
Nope, sorry.

Powder Keg
Jun 25, 2008, 09:37 AM
It's a sensitivity thing. He may not mean anything to you but he may have meant something to others. You don't have to care about someone you didn't know but try not to be so blunt when other people talk about it. Either that or don't be surprised when they react that way to you.

This should have been obvious, really. If you don't care, that's fine, but others obviously do. Just because you didn't know them in real life doesn't mean they're not part of your memories or entertainment.

HUnewearl_Meira
Jun 25, 2008, 03:24 PM
For what it's worth Umkel, if you were familiar with George Carlin's body of work, you might be disappointed that he'll no longer be around to produce more of it. That's pretty much the extent of your involvement with the man. I certainly wouldn't expect you to break out in tears ( "NOOO!!! THE INCOMPLETE LIST OF OFFENSIVE TERMS WILL NO LONGER GET UPDATED!! T_T !!!"), though I might categorize it along side discovering that someone else has eaten the last Oreo in the package you brought to the potluck.

Uncle_bob
Jun 25, 2008, 03:41 PM
But I'm always the one to eat the last Oreo.

Blitzkommando
Jun 25, 2008, 04:00 PM
You know, I've tried to think of a celebrity that I was saddened by their passing. I haven't come up with one.

Frankly, I don't know them well enough to get much of an emotional response when they die. To me, it's strange to see people get upset over people they never even saw in person, much less met or developed a relationship with the person. So, for me, if people were making a big spiel about someone dying like that I really wouldn't respond the way they want either.

Delete
Jun 25, 2008, 09:55 PM
You know, I've tried to think of a celebrity that I was saddened by their passing. I haven't come up with one.

Frankly, I don't know them well enough to get much of an emotional response when they die. To me, it's strange to see people get upset over people they never even saw in person, much less met or developed a relationship with the person. So, for me, if people were making a big spiel about someone dying like that I really wouldn't respond the way they want either.

DOnt you have a favorite actor/actress or tv show? Your telling me if one of those people died you wouldnt care? Wow

Tomeeboy
Jun 25, 2008, 10:19 PM

Last one I was really saddened by would probably have to be Chris Farley... Not because I knew him or anything, but because I enjoyed his work and knew that there would never be another movie with him in it (and before anyone asks, the answer is "no"... it's just a coincidence that my name is similar to one if his movies.. heh). I imagine some people feel the same way about George Carlin, Heath Ledger, or any other celebrities that have died.

DreXxiN
Jun 25, 2008, 10:54 PM
The only celebrity dying that brought me to tears when I was younger was Dimebag Darrel, Lead Guitarist for Pantera.

Blitzkommando
Jun 26, 2008, 03:57 AM
DOnt you have a favorite actor/actress or tv show? Your telling me if one of those people died you wouldnt care? Wow

I don't idolize celebrities, so likely, no. Them dying affects me as much as when some random person's relative dies. I don't know them so I don't bother getting worked up over it. If I did I would be depressed all of the time seeing as people are dying all of the time.

As for television shows, I really don't watch all that many. Movies? Most of the actors and actresses I felt much respect for are all dead anyway.

But then, I didn't get all that worked up over my own grandmother and I loved her dearly. I simply realize that it happens and life goes on. I essentially tuned out the emotions of it within a week of her passing. I'll remember things about her, and that makes me a bit down, but I haven't cried over that in years. It's not a lack of emotions, I simply accept it faster and more readily than others I suppose.

Nitro Vordex
Jun 26, 2008, 04:06 AM
The only person I think I would be saddened in passing is Bill Cosby. I know his time will probably be soon, but I'm still gonna morn for him.

Sgt_Shligger
Jun 26, 2008, 04:11 AM
What do you expect from people? Of course you're not going to to care if some random celebrity died. The main point is that you don't just tell someone you don't care about a death. Seriously, what do you want people to say, something like "Oh, well I don't mind if you don't care. He's only dead."? :disapprove:

Blitzkommando
Jun 26, 2008, 05:14 AM
I guess I'm an insensitive douche, then. I just have no reason to care about the death of some old fart who had nothing to do with my life, and I don't want to listen to my friends ramble on about him.

What do you expect from people? Of course you're not going to to care if some random celebrity died. The main point is that you don't just tell someone you don't care about a death. Seriously, what do you want people to say, something like "Oh, well I don't mind if you don't care. He's only dead."? :disapprove:

The part in bold seems to be the most ignored part of the thread, and yet most important. Guy dies. People moan about it constantly expecting others who couldn't care less to care about it. They (being the people that care about it) get angry when we (the people who couldn't care less), well, don't care and then they further moan about him dying. It's a vicious cycle and it happens whenever a celebrity dies.

And if someone gets offended by my mentioning that I don't care someone died that neither of us knew in any way, shape, or form that person seriously needs to reevaluate the way they carry their attitude and life. Death happens. Just because the person that died was famous doesn't somehow mean "Onoes I have to care about someone that died because that someone was famous even though I really don't care just so as to not offend the groupies."

What would you like me to say when confronted with the question, "Aren't you sad [insert subject name here] died?" The truth of, "No. Who was that?" Or would you like me to do the wonderfully fake, "OH MAN I DON'T BELIEVE IT. I'M SO DEPRESSED NOW!"? Personally I'd be more offended by the later of the two as at least in the first case the person was being honest about it.

funnymatt
Jun 26, 2008, 05:45 AM
George Carlin wouldn't care if a non-fan gave a shit about him dying or not. If you want to see why persons are fans of his, see:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_Bw6yj5RX4

That's probably one of the top 10 bits of all time.

Delete
Jun 26, 2008, 03:04 PM

Not some random celebrity, thats not what i posted, i mean someone you watch on tv or somebody who sings that you in particular likes.

Inazuma
Jun 26, 2008, 05:30 PM
george carlin was different. he was actually able to think for himself and see thru all the BS in the world. not many people are able to do this. he wasnt just the greatest comedian of all time, he was one of the very best people of all time. im extremely sad that he died.

Uncle_bob
Jun 26, 2008, 07:54 PM
George Carlin wouldn't care if a non-fan gave a shit about him dying or not.

That's probably one of the top 10 bits of all time.

I gave you the benefit of the doubt and skimmed over the video..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v73/UncleBob/GORDANZ.jpg

Wow. So people like him because he's a bitter old man who uses foul language and has a misguided view and a grudge against religion, Christianity in particular? Shows what kind of mindset you and his fans have.

Congratulations, you're a fucking bigot.

Not some random celebrity, thats not what i posted, i mean someone you watch on tv or somebody who sings that you in particular likes.

There's plenty of people I have admired for their talent, but I don't fucking idolize them and drag myself and others into a miserable black pit if they die.

george carlin was different. he was actually able to think for himself and see thru all the BS in the world. not many people are able to do this. he wasnt just the greatest comedian of all time, he was one of the very best people of all time. im extremely sad that he died.

One of the best people of all time? Oh wow. So what has he contributed to the greater good of mankind?

Jesus. You people are exactly why I made this thread. I simply don't give a fuck that he died.

He's dead, he's fucking dead. And not everyone cares, deal with it.

MetaZedlen
Jun 26, 2008, 07:58 PM
This is the first time I ever heard about George Carlin, and I must say, he has quite the "different" outlook on life...being that from what Inazuma said, he can think for himself and he lives life by his own standards, and there are so many people out there that think this is just evil, because they are too stupid to open up their eyes and see that opinion...

Anyway, on-topic, it really isn't smart to say that about someone who died, to that degree anyway, being that I am close to the same way, but I don't try to be an ass about it.

Uncle_bob
Jun 26, 2008, 08:08 PM
Why not? Can't I be "different"? Can't I have a "different" outlook? Can't I "think for myself"?

Or is that just reserved for elitists certain people?

MetaZedlen
Jun 26, 2008, 08:10 PM
Why not? Can't I be "different"? Can't I have a "different" outlook? Can't I "think for myself"?

Or is that just reserved for elitists certain people?

Well, you are pissing and moaning about how people react on what you have to say about the deaths of others, and look at how you still act about it...

Apparantly you can't take a little advice.

Uncle_bob
Jun 26, 2008, 08:20 PM
This is a rants forum so is it inapropriate? It's good to know that apparently only certain people should have their own views and opinions on things.

MetaZedlen
Jun 26, 2008, 08:41 PM
You are bringing this on yourself...

I'm just saying things, and what you are saying back is making me laugh all the more...

Uncle_bob
Jun 26, 2008, 11:14 PM
I'm glad you find it amusing.

Weeaboolits
Jun 26, 2008, 11:57 PM
You're supposed to say "That sucks." then change the subject.

Solstis
Jun 27, 2008, 12:39 AM
You're supposed to say "That sucks." then change the subject.

Well, that wouldn't be very Carlin-esque, would it?

Uncle_bob
Jun 27, 2008, 12:43 AM
What.

Solstis
Jun 27, 2008, 12:45 AM
What.

No.

I have my own celebrity attachments, and yeah, I would be upset if they died (omg not Radiohead), which, of course, is stupid.

It's okay to be stupid. Did you learn nothing from the Transformers movie and the Weird Al song?

Uncle_bob
Jun 27, 2008, 12:52 AM
How can you answer "What." with "No."

But anyway.. So...how bout that stuff.

Weeaboolits
Jun 27, 2008, 02:34 AM
Say to him that Gunpei Yokoi died, and when he says "Who?" say "Exactly.".

Gunpei Yokoi is they guy behind the gameboy for anyone who doesn't already know.

thunder-ray
Jun 27, 2008, 03:57 AM
To be honest I didnt know who George Carlin was untilll I heard that he had died. I really wouldnt care if he died ether since I didnt know the person.

Mewnie
Jun 27, 2008, 04:42 AM
YOU'RE SO EDGY AND COOL.

Don't worry, I won't care when you die either ;3

CelestialBlade
Jun 27, 2008, 10:47 AM
There's a big misconception here: You don't need to idolize or be close to someone to care that they die. George Carlin was a very successful comedian and a man of great accomplishment, caring about his death is like a remembrance of his life's work. What's wrong with that?

Yeah, some people are all "omg nooooo best person ever he died fuck" but saying that nobody should give a shit about him is equally extreme. He entertained and inspired people, he had a goal set for his life and he went out and accomplished it, which is a lot more than most people can say. I think that is deserving of commendation.

Altaneen
Jun 27, 2008, 01:07 PM
I felt the same way when Health Ledger died

off topic but in the same category i made a joke that at the end of the new batman itll just cut to batman sitting down on a foldout chair, throwing batarangs at the jokers corpse ppl were outraged lol

Kion
Jun 27, 2008, 01:21 PM
There's a lot of people who respect(ed) him and are disappointed that he won't come out with anything more. I think it's kind of fitting. I doubt Carlin himself would care that he's dead, just something about his outlook on life it seems that way. If people get mad at you for not being sad that he's dead then tell them to "f-off" as i'm sure if they're making a huge deal out of it they're just posing and don't actually understand his philosophy.

Nitro Vordex
Jun 27, 2008, 01:24 PM
off topic but in the same category i made a joke that at the end of the new batman itll just cut to batman sitting down on a foldout chair, throwing batarangs at the jokers corpse ppl were outraged lol

It's not really a joke, it's just plain stupid.

Altaneen
Jun 27, 2008, 02:03 PM
If I told you i don't care what you think of me, would you never talk to me again? I love mean comedy.

Uncle_bob
Jun 27, 2008, 05:40 PM
YOU'RE SO EDGY AND COOL.

Don't worry, I won't care when you die either ;3

Othanks.

If I told you i don't care what you think of me, would you never talk to me again? I love mean comedy.

I'd probably gain some respect for you since that would mean you're not a self-conscious baby that constantly worries about what everyone else thinks about them

funnymatt
Jun 30, 2008, 04:13 AM
I gave you the benefit of the doubt and skimmed over the video..

Wow. So people like him because he's a bitter old man who uses foul language and has a misguided view and a grudge against religion, Christianity in particular? Shows what kind of mindset you and his fans have.

Congratulations, you're a fucking bigot.

If you're going to call me a bigot, at least base that assertion on my own material:

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/a631c1350a

Deissa
Jun 30, 2008, 10:02 AM
HOW DARE PEOPLE LIKE PEOPLE I DON'T

GRAGH GRRR EUNREBNUREBN[REFNREB *post*

(ps: you obviously give a shit about what people think of you since you posted this garbage heap of a topic)

panzer_unit
Jun 30, 2008, 10:39 AM
I'd probably gain some respect for you since that would mean you're not a self-conscious baby that constantly worries about what everyone else thinks about them

As opposed to whoring for attention by posting about what an asshole they are instead? lol

MetaZedlen
Jun 30, 2008, 11:13 AM
As opposed to whoring for attention by posting about what an asshole they are instead? lol

BOOM HEADSHOT!!!!

Ryna
Jun 30, 2008, 03:29 PM
This particular thread has served its purpose.