PDA

View Full Version : In this topic we name things that SEGA has done right.

Chris28
Jun 24, 2008, 02:40 PM
i'll start it off. They bill us each month on time.

Mysterious-G
Jun 24, 2008, 02:41 PM
Most of us were not born yet when such things happened.

Kadajenova
Jun 24, 2008, 02:41 PM
I think that's all XD

JAFO22000
Jun 24, 2008, 02:42 PM
They ban people for cheating. That's pretty damn cool.

Cracka_J
Jun 24, 2008, 02:43 PM

I think you just ended your own thread.

Kizeragi
Jun 24, 2008, 02:43 PM
They made a game series called "Phantasy Star"

blkbeast
Jun 24, 2008, 02:45 PM
they are grea story tellers

AlliThePally
Jun 24, 2008, 02:47 PM
Im trying to think here, I cant think of anything though ><

Kylie
Nope, they've messed up on billing many times. :lol:

Hiero_Glyph
They made a fun game with lots of updates and content for the Japanese players.

Syanaide
Jun 24, 2008, 02:48 PM
They lowered the rarity on [B] Moon Atomizer X ~!

Mysterious-G
Jun 24, 2008, 02:50 PM

Lolololol. Best joke of the day imo. :-?

ashley50
Jun 24, 2008, 02:53 PM
Rollbacks...I love them :)

What do you expect? Its a JP based company, not a US one.

Kylie
Jun 24, 2008, 02:53 PM
Wait. Japan or America? SOJ has done a lot of stuff right, but all SOA has done is done what SOJ told them to do (mostly with difficulty or complete failure) or tried to do their own GM events that were poorly organized.

Micro
Jun 24, 2008, 02:55 PM
I'm still waiting on them to delete our characters by mistake, then give us 3* luck to make up for it.

bLOODSAW
Jun 24, 2008, 03:24 PM
During this sonic birthday event, NOT having shadow to be seen ANYWHERE.

God i hate that character...

Brainwrecked
Jun 24, 2008, 03:45 PM
They managed to make a game that doesn't crash Windows, XBox 360, or PS2.

Oh wait, the 360 and PS2 have quality control standards from their parent companies.

they are grea[t] story tellers

What? O_o

Hiero_Glyph
Jun 24, 2008, 03:46 PM
Rollbacks...I love them :)

What do you expect? Its a JP based company, not a US one.

And companies like Blizzard are based in the United States but that does not mean that the content provided on the international servers is any less than the ones provided on the domestic ones. The logic of SEGA being a Japanese based company so they give Japan servers more/better content is flawed since the only thing they would have to do to port it to every other server is translate things. The content and work is already done, so basically all they need to do is have the text translated and they can make additional money for it.

Any company that does not appreciate all markets is asking to lose a large portion of their revenue. Besides, we are not talking about a small third-world country here but the two of the three largest gaming markets in the world (Europe and the US).

BFGfreak
Jun 24, 2008, 04:15 PM
And companies like Blizzard are based in the United States but that does not mean that the content provided on the international servers is any less than the ones provided on the domestic ones. The logic of SEGA being a Japanese based company so they give Japan servers more/better content is flawed since the only thing they would have to do to port it to every other server is translate things. The content and work is already done, so basically all they need to do is have the text translated and they can make additional money for it.

Any company that does not appreciate all markets is asking to lose a large portion of their revenue. Besides, we are not talking about a small third-world country here but the two of the three largest gaming markets in the world (Europe and the US).Exactly, if Blizzard was like SEGA, there would not be all those Korean tounements because they're not american so they don't matter. Imagine the loss of revinue Blizzard would have if all those Koreans didn't play Starcraft, now imagine how much revinue is slipping right through SEGA's fingers.

Sometimes I wish that Mass Effect was an MMO, I'd so leave this game to go play that right about now, ST is exploiting the fact that they are the only MMO set in a futuristic enviroment on the 360 (and the only one that uses LIVE for that matter)

Chibi_psu
Jun 24, 2008, 04:26 PM
Good things? SEGA???

http://sigt.net/wp-content/uploads/lol-perro.jpg

Ed Lolington
Jun 24, 2008, 04:30 PM
They made PSO, the Jet Set Radio series, and published Condemned 1/2.

See? Sega isn't all bad ._.

Danny_Dark
Jun 24, 2008, 04:48 PM
They made Sonic...uh oh...

RemiusTA
Jun 24, 2008, 04:51 PM

Stryker Diaz
Jun 24, 2008, 04:56 PM
They have screwed up alot but really I cant complain I love the game just the game in general seems like a great accomplishment

Nirvash7
Jun 24, 2008, 05:06 PM
HAHA!!! Good things that come from sega!?! LOL!!!

Rust
Jun 24, 2008, 05:11 PM
The DreamCast. :disapprove:

Arika
Jun 24, 2008, 05:11 PM
if what they said about July 18 will get both perminant content and MAG, then it mean, we get 1 update delay and then get double update on July 18. so nothing off schedule in overall.

Powder Keg
Jun 24, 2008, 05:27 PM

I thought the same thing.....wow....

Ken_Silver
Jun 24, 2008, 06:22 PM
Be realistic. Sega made money and got this far because they were good at the beginning. Now here's a list to chew on:

Created A Video Gaming Icon who is still widely popular/well known today despite his recent failures: SONIC THE HEDGEHOG.

Created two sucessful Video Game Consoles: Sega Game Gear and the Sega Genesis.

Created the Phantasy Star Series from Original up to PSO.

Now i'll leave PSU out of that last statement since we can't judge its sucessess of failures yet. But PSU has done some things right already:

Name Your character whatever you want. I hate it how in other MMORPG's you can't use the same name twice. If you want to name your character John, just name him that. Not **John** or xxJohnxx or some weird spelling of the same name.

A very good Character Customization system.

A Very Good Chat System. Ask the spammers, they love it.

No Keycodes for the game disk.

So while people baww and whine and note all of the bad things Sega has done, they've done some good two. Idiots don't make as much money as Sega did. Whether they are dummies now, they weren't when they started.

Sekani
Jun 24, 2008, 06:26 PM
Dreamcast
Sonic Adventure 2
Jet Set Radio Future
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Chu Chu Rocket

I'm sure you guys can think of a few more.

mvffin
Jun 24, 2008, 06:50 PM
Sonic, Sonic 2, PSO, Space Channel 5, Rez, Super Monkey Ball 2.

Powder Keg
Jun 24, 2008, 07:08 PM
Saturn > Dreamcast.

Shou
Jun 24, 2008, 07:24 PM
They made an ugly fat game more ugly and fat....

and depressed... :(

MrPOW
Jun 24, 2008, 07:35 PM
They addressed almost every problem I had with PSU when they released AOI. I'm also greatful that I can play PSU without worry about people cheating. That's quite an achievement to me. This game is going to have twice the shelf life for me than what PSO did simply because of the lack of cheating. Also, player shops are probably my favorite new feature in PSU.

Jinto117
Jun 24, 2008, 07:39 PM
Saturn > Dreamcast.

So wrong!
Dreamcast>>>>>>>>Saturn.

Apone
Jun 24, 2008, 07:39 PM
Hmm lets see what Sega has done right by me...
well games
Phantasy Star, Out run, Space Harrier, After Burner, Hang On, Virtua Fighter, Jet set Radio, Sonic, Ahh heck I could fill a page.
Other good stuff...
Some of the best deluxe arcade cabinets of the time (after burner, out run, R 360, ferrari f355 challenge, Daytona) And the sheer GUTS to emerge into the market with new hardware and pushing the envelope when all the other videogame making wusses sat on their BUTTS to see if it was a good idea. (and subsquently yanking the rug right out from under Sega)

H3Av3NS PUNISH3R
Jun 24, 2008, 07:41 PM
One thing Sega did right was make two perfect (in a way) games called PSO and PSU.

Zorafim
Jun 24, 2008, 07:45 PM
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b77/Zorafin/P-STAR4003.jpg

This.

DarkShadowX
Jun 24, 2008, 07:52 PM
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b77/Zorafin/P-STAR4003.jpg

This.

^ That

Rust
Jun 24, 2008, 08:40 PM
Sega Genesis.

F*ck, how could I forget this one, that was my first console, and I still play good ol' Genesis games on my emulator.

Split
Jun 24, 2008, 09:14 PM
condemned was an alright game

Shadowpawn
Jun 24, 2008, 09:16 PM
They made a highly innovative fighting game called Virtual Fighter that paved the way for 3D fighters and to this day is considered the de facto standard for martial art based 3D brawlers.

ZeroKamikaze
Jun 24, 2008, 09:18 PM
iirc, They made PSO well, but I may be wrong. -_-' Next Game, they should just remake PSO for 360 and PS3, and leave out the PC because of the hacking. Remake PSO with 'MOST' of the PSU Gameplay mechanics (but keep PSO MAGS) and the character customization options. Sorry for goin a little off subject... >_>' But it can be done right?

Monochrome
Jun 24, 2008, 09:49 PM
Saturn > Dreamcast.

32x > Saturn

naw

They got this right:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=9P2eEHf48oY

Sega Sound Team

Alastor_Haven
Jun 24, 2008, 10:11 PM
Skies of Arcadia

Syl
Jun 24, 2008, 10:17 PM
F-zero GX

Sayara
Jun 24, 2008, 10:17 PM
Jun Senoue, Fumie Kumatani,

Shiro_Ryuu
Jun 24, 2008, 10:35 PM
I think Dreamcast was one of the most under-rated systems ever made, so I put this as one thing Sega did right. Making the Dreamcasts region free so that we can play Japanese games on it was another thing they did right, too bad Sony can't follow their example. >.>

VanHalen
Jun 24, 2008, 11:08 PM
Clockwork Knight
Sonic the Hedgehog(before Sonic Heroes)
Virtual-On series
Phantasy Star series
Trolling their fanbase :(
Arcade games
Game systems

Zantra
Jun 24, 2008, 11:32 PM
I think Dreamcast was one of the most under-rated systems ever made, so I put this as one thing Sega did right. Making the Dreamcasts region free so that we can play Japanese games on it was another thing they did right, too bad Sony can't follow their example. >.>

Sony did, the PS3 and PSP are region free, for games.

Eternal Champions
PSO
Ristar
Kid Chameleon
Toe Jam and Earl
lots of other games

I also like all the systems that sega made.
(and I own most, if not all of them)

kurisu1974
Jun 25, 2008, 02:34 AM
They brought the Megadrive with Streets of Rage II in my life. I LOVE YOU SEGA :P

SpikeOtacon
Jun 25, 2008, 02:35 AM
The Dreamcast. Oh wait.

AC9breaker
Jun 25, 2008, 03:24 AM
Shinobi! Ryu Hayabusa is cool and all but Shinobi has mad style.

Nitro Vordex
Jun 25, 2008, 03:35 AM
Shinobi was freakin' hard on Genesis, but it was still awesome.

kurisu1974
Jun 25, 2008, 03:57 AM
Shinobi was freakin' hard on Genesis, but it was still awesome.

Shinobi wasn't on Genesis, Revenge of Shinobi/Shinobi III/Shadow Dancers were.

Nai_Calus
Jun 25, 2008, 04:10 AM
They haven't deleted everyone's PSU characters on 'accident' yet?

Nitro Vordex
Jun 25, 2008, 04:16 AM
Shinobi wasn't on Genesis, Revenge of Shinobi/Shinobi III/Shadow Dancers were.

Sounds like Shinobi to me.

I meant in general, dude.

Brainwrecked
Jun 25, 2008, 06:04 AM
They addressed almost every problem I had with PSU when they released AOI. I'm also greatful that I can play PSU without worry about people cheating. That's quite an achievement to me. This game is going to have twice the shelf life for me than what PSO did simply because of the lack of cheating. Also, player shops are probably my favorite new feature in PSU.

Did you just miss the deletion of some of the contenders on the MAG Top 500?

Apone
Jun 25, 2008, 10:50 AM
Gunstar Heroes, Landstalker, Mystic Defender. I loved all the shinobis even though the PS2 version had a crap camera, and Shinobi legions for Saturn. Kid Chameleon was very cool but there was no password or save so beating that game was a 4 to 5 hour affair and I did it multiple times LOL. Vectorman and BEYOND OASIS for genesis and legend of oasis for saturn.. If you have never played these games get them NOW! and of course thiers guardian heroes for saturn, the epitome of side scrolling fighting insanity with rpg elements.

Rust
Jun 25, 2008, 12:19 PM
Alien Soldier on Genesis was fun too. I freaked out the first time I've played, got into the Options settings, and saw the difficulty could be only set on either Supereasy or Superhard. °D

SubstanceD
Jun 25, 2008, 02:56 PM
Skies of Arcadia

Thank You.

Yes Sega has actually done somthing right and it is Skies of Arcadia.
PSO and PSU arn't bad either although I have alot of issues with PSU.

Nitro Vordex
Jun 25, 2008, 03:11 PM
Jun Senoue, Fumie Kumatani,

:yes:

Jus Senoue is an amazing guitarist and song writer. Same with Johnny Gioeli. Though, apparently no one likes his strong voice. T_T

I like it. D:

Shiro_Ryuu
Jun 25, 2008, 05:08 PM
Sony did, the PS3 and PSP are region free, for games.

Eternal Champions
PSO
Ristar
Kid Chameleon
Toe Jam and Earl
lots of other games

I also like all the systems that sega made.
(and I own most, if not all of them)

Oh, didn't know that. Sony is now completely forgiven :P
But yeah, Sega did make PSU into what would have been an excellent game. As Ken Silver said, it has great customization, chat system (although it's very spammer friendly :disapprove:), it's just that the company itself screws up in updates.

Also, I'd like to also mention that the Genesis was an awesome system during it's time. Dreamcast also still has a special place in my heart, it has released many great fighting games such as Capcom vs. SNK series, Last Blade 2, Garou: Mark of the Wolves, Street Fighter Alpha 3, and Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike, to name a few.

Monochrome
Jun 25, 2008, 05:33 PM
I'm on board seconding both Skies of Arcadia and Jun Senoue. I loved the Sonic Adventure soundtracks and Skies has been on my mind alot lately..

Both deserve all the praise they get.

(and obviously PSO was great, I mean we are all here, right?)
in fact, Sega games I come back to no matter how many years it's been since they were released:

Space Harrier
Sonic
Sonic 2
Sonic Adventure
Sonic Adventure 2
Crazy Taxi
PSO
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Virtua Racing
OutRun 2006 Coast 2 Coast