PDA

View Full Version : Tollaws in Ultimate a reference to the beta?

furrypaws
Jun 25, 2008, 09:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyEnJCgTZds

^Reference. I think just about everyone on this board has seen the trailer, and aside from a few things (did Sega REALLY think that every single human on the face of the planet would play this?), they made it look pretty cool. One thing just about everybody's noticed are the grass assassins in the Forest. My sister once asked me while watching me play what the Grass Assassins were doing in the Ultimate Forest, and it instantly made me think of this. Given that they look nothing like their counterparts or the original, is it at all plausible that the Tollaw was in itself a reference to a beta?

Here's some other references.

http://www.pso-world.com/images/beastiary/forest/3_1.jpghttp://www.pso-world.com/images/beastiary/forest/3_2.jpghttp://www.pso-world.com/images/beastiary/caves/1_1.jpg

Splash
Jun 26, 2008, 12:17 AM
Is that not a trailer for v1 PSO? There is no Ultimate difficulty for v1.

Also, I could see some similarities between the monsters but I don't see how it is a reference. The "3rd form" of the monster series tends to look different than its other two forms. Look at the Vulmer series. Look at the Arlan series. I think they just wanted to follow a pattern with monsters that look like they have sharp claws/blades.

Abashi76
Jun 26, 2008, 12:41 AM
I always wondered about the Grass Assassin in Forest, I never seen them there throughout my entire experience with PSO. Now I know why that is. Howcome they didn't make any quests with Grass Assassins in there?

Splash
Jun 26, 2008, 01:05 AM
Because they ditched the idea of having Grass Assassins (and Hildebears) in Forest 1?

furrypaws
Jun 26, 2008, 07:28 AM
Is that not a trailer for v1 PSO? There is no Ultimate difficulty for v1.

Also, I could see some similarities between the monsters but I don't see how it is a reference. The "3rd form" of the monster series tends to look different than its other two forms. Look at the Vulmer series. Look at the Arlan series. I think they just wanted to follow a pattern with monsters that look like they have sharp claws/blades.

Yes, that is a beta for v1. Thus, the reference to the beta. It's not impossible for games to take ideas from older versions of betas or to spoof them in some sort.

Whilethe third form normally is different, they normally fit in just a little with the other two. The Melqueek still looks like it fits in with the other two (not to mention it uses the same color scheme as the original), to my knowledge, the Mines monsters don't have a "third evolution" (to be honest, they didn't change a whole lot in Ultimate anyways), and the Ruins one actually half way looks like the others. And who knows? Maybe it's the other way around, that they developed the Tollaws first and then went to develop the rest like that, since the logical place you'd begin would be the Forest if you were remaking enemies.

Or, another possibility is that they had already decided to do the 1->2->different three, and made it look like a Grass Assassin just for the reference.

I just think the relation is too close to shrug off.

AlexCraig
Jun 26, 2008, 02:37 PM
A very interesting thought. And it does make some sense. Pretty cool. :)

Saffran
Jun 26, 2008, 05:23 PM
After seeing the trailer way back then, I was disappointed to see what had become of the city and the whole "talking to people gathering information" aspect. It was completely ditched...

Mark87
Jun 27, 2008, 10:19 AM
cool trailer and I see what your saying. Very interesting

kua1
Jun 27, 2008, 11:45 PM
lol @ movement speed

CelestialBlade
Jun 28, 2008, 08:49 PM
Wow, this ad is full of lies XD The world was incredibly small and the communication aspect of the game really sucked. To be honest, all PSO really had going for it was its revolutionary combat system and the amount of stuff you can hunt. It's far from a true MMORPG.

AlexCraig
Jun 28, 2008, 11:26 PM
Not exactly the best thing to say about PSO in a PSO forum.

DC_PLAYER
Jun 29, 2008, 11:58 AM
that's the beta, they even did comercials about it, there are plenty of pso games before ver.1

each one they upgraded somehow, they even used one to show the online capabilities, in that one only the dragon boss was avaiable, it was a simple beta, nothing more.

pso ver.1 was the real public launch, with increased char speed (running), showing current char level, all 4 areas and 3 difficulties, better weapon animations with the posisibility of a combo and enemy locations corrected.

Cranberry
Jun 29, 2008, 05:53 PM
"You can do whatever you want, whenever you want. Total freedom."

So that's why Sega never stopped the cheaters and hackers. They were keeping their promise that they can do whatever they want.

Hmmm you can play anytime you want for as long as you want? If you're talking about offline mode than sure.... but online mode nope, at least not on their servers. lol

Weeaboolits
Jun 30, 2008, 07:34 AM
Not exactly the best thing to say about PSO in a PSO forum.Don't take it to heart, people are much harsher with PSU in its section. ;o

CelestialBlade
Jun 30, 2008, 09:28 AM
Oh I like PSO, I was just shooting holes in this ad XD

AlexCraig
Jun 30, 2008, 12:30 PM
Ah, alright.