PDA

View Full Version : AF - best race for it? Is there a good AF guide?

dreamcaster0
Jun 26, 2008, 06:04 PM
I've been looking up GT and WT lately and now AF has caught my eye. Any good guides?

Niloklives
Jun 26, 2008, 06:12 PM
hitchhiker's guide. >_>

ther's no great class for it, imo. I play it as a cast, but a beast can do just as well and a human and newman can do really well too since they have such high evade and and a good TP mod if you want to use RCSMs. plus humans get a stamina boost as AF(my female human has 15 END while my female cast has 14END)

just play it as you want. if you're looking to trade on evasion and R-MAGs, go human or newman. if you want to trade damage for evasion go with a cast or beast depending on if you want a nanoblast or a SUV...its that simple.

Pillan
Jun 26, 2008, 07:36 PM
Acrofighter is the only class that has higher-end stats in all areas, thus making any race/gender choice very effective as it. And the simultaneous use of Shadoogs and melee weapons makes the deviations between most races less negligible than in most classes. I’ll break it down in more specifics for you.

Human:

The clear advantage they have here is the 5% bonus. That gives them higher HP, near-Cast ATP, near-Newman ATA, higher TP, DFP that surpasses Beasts, near-Newman EVP, and higher MST. And since they have mid-range stats in all levels, Acrofighter’s all-around high stats perfectly compliment their lack of specificity. And females get one extra point of STA for what that’s worth (males don’t).

Newman:

I’m really not going to argue this one. They aren’t really hurt by anything, but the human bonus makes it so humans almost always deal more damage than them and have higher survivability when not dealing with magic. It is one of the best non-teching options for Newmans due to the high TP, MST, and EVP.

Cast:

Their main advantages are SUVs, of course. Since they retain slightly higher ATP than humans and higher ATA, their output is always higher. Of course this can easily be offset in favor of humans by using weaker skills with Shadoogs. And don’t forget that with a mid-range elemental armor, Casts actually have the highest survivability on this class because of their HP+DFP+EVP combination (unless dealing with ridiculously high damage from significantly higher level enemies). The major disadvantage is receiving magic damage, but the high HP mod plus elemental armor easily offsets that.

Beasts:

It’s the hunter class with the highest ATA. How can Beasts go wrong here? No real disadvantage besides less evading and they always have less survivability to human (their higher DFP and EVP outweigh the Beast HP advantage under all conditions). Of course, they almost always have higher output than any other class and then Nanoblasts on top of that. Their MST isn’t much higher than Casts, but the higher HP makes it easier to deal with.

Main piece of advice for you, regardless of class: don’t focus so much on what weapons the class specializes in, as weapon type has more to do with damage than weapon rank. Your A rank two hand melee weapons will always out damage your single-hand weapons and Shadoogs won’t do anything to make up for that. Other than that, it’s a fairly easy class to play. Use a gun when you can’t hit enemies with melee. Use melee otherwise. What else is there to do as a hunter?

I forgot to add a special note on evasion: It’s a blessing and a curse for hunters. It’s great if the enemy deals a significant amount of damage, but it’s more harmful when dealing with weak attacks. Blocking just means canceled skills with negligible damage, but it can also be the difference between falling over (canceling it anyway) and not taking damage. So it depends on your view on the issue to which side you’d favor. Obviously I’m more biased toward higher output and lower EVP.

Niloklives
Jun 26, 2008, 08:12 PM
the other side of evasion is the just counter ability. blocking more when taking small attacks can be annoying or wasreful, but against larger enemies where you would get knocked away or or at least down, blocking means immediate counter attack with 1.5x damage on each hit.

its a trade off but when you evade as much as AF does. you can use it to your advantage on most other melee classes the evp mod is so low, blocking really is a nuisance. unless its the kind of hit I mentioned before.

-Morgan-
Sep 19, 2008, 03:44 PM
humans prolly make the best af just because of the stats and the tp and atp humans have allows them to use their range mags and their melee together the best

Genoa
Sep 19, 2008, 07:50 PM
The Human +5% bonus is great. I find it one of the best classes for Human users in comparison to the other races. It's probably one of the only classes where humans actually have strong stats in all categories. Humans are generally known for no weaknesses but no real punch in any specific stat.
But Pilian really said it all. Pick how you want

Hrith
Sep 20, 2008, 05:38 AM
Humans, rly.

Genoa
Sep 20, 2008, 11:00 PM
Here's a rundown on stats for AF. This is all based off of lvl.140 characters at AF lvl.20

(Female) HP // ATP // ATA // TP // DFP // EVP // MST // STA
--human: 3406 // 1424 // 737 // 2079 // 380 // 1278 // 355 // 15
newman: 3035 // 1234 // 759 // 2243 // 336 // 1312 // 532 // 14
----beast: 3768 // 1605 // 589 // 1518 // 377 // 1125 // 234 // 14
------cast: 3558 // 1480 // 814 // 1319 // 405 // 937 // 205 // 14

(male)
--human: 3516 // 1490 // 767 // 2009 // 366 // 1228 // 322 // 12
newman: 3140 // 1296 // 787 // 2191 // 319 // 1265 // 492 // 12
----beast: 3872 // 1666 // 618 // 1450 // 362 // 1077 // 224 // 12
------cast: 3663 // 1542 // 843 // 1187 // 391 // 890 // 193 // 12

Xefi
Sep 21, 2008, 04:12 AM
i only dedicated acrofighter for my human. It's more of a fun class
to play with group. Even though they nerfed chikki, it's still good
to use regardless. Slicer skills are quite addicting as least for me, they are.

So yeah, I would also suggest human for that class; great all around even
without those SUVs and Nano.

stukasa
Sep 22, 2008, 01:08 PM
Humans, rly.
^ What he said. :p

I think everyone's pretty much covered anything I could have said. There aren't many classes that humans would be considered the "best" at, but AF is one of them.

Inazuma
Sep 22, 2008, 05:07 PM
human? so you guys are saying that higher shadoog damage is better than paradi suv? i dunno. i tend to think cast wins this one.

Genoa
Sep 22, 2008, 07:23 PM
--human: 3406 // 1424 // 737 // 2079 // 380 // 1278 // 355 // 15
------cast: 3558 // 1480 // 814 // 1319 // 405 // 937 // 205 // 14

Difference in stats (female) comparison:
CASTs have only 152 more HP than Humans
CASTs have only 56 more ATP than Humans
CASTs have only 77 more ATA than Humans
Humans have 760 more TP than CASTs
CASTs have only 25 more DFP than Humans
Humans have 341 more EVP than CASTs
Humans have 150 more MST than CASTs

So... I'm not too entirely sure if having the ability to SUV is ALL that much better in comparison when stats, because Humans not only have a TON more TP, but a good amount of EVP and MST over a CAST. And the stats that CASTs are better at then Humans are marginally different.
It still all depends whether or not you want to SUV > Shadoog use + EVP + MST

Gen2000
Sep 23, 2008, 09:06 AM
This an old thread (but hardly anything else is new here so...)

MST is a joke of a stat on any class but FT. Any enemy techs that matter will kill both the Cast and Human all the same.
EVP, most melee players seem to prefer less EVP anyways so depending on the player that is a pro or con for them.
TP, Shadoog is generally agreed on to matter only for SEs so the TP advantage of humans don't matter much here, there is a small minority of players who matches element for element with them to do more Shadoog damage. If you prefer more Shadoog damage than would be a pro for you but most people seem to care less about Shadoog damage.

Taking in all that and the fact that the rest of the Cast stats is similar to Human is only a pro-argument for Cast since Paradi is pretty broken even on the current Neu S2s. Makes any of the older missions a joke. Instantly wipe out a troublesome room and clear missions faster or not have that ability and do more Shadoog damage? That's what the question would really come down to between the two.

stukasa
Sep 23, 2008, 10:48 AM
CASTs can be good AFs, I just prefer to keep it like this:

Fighter - Beast
Gunner - CAST
Techer - Newman
Acro - Human

Higher EVA is a good stat if you use Just Counter and AF is probably the best class to take advantage of it. Having an SUV is a pretty big advantage too though, so I can see how some people would prefer that.

Genoa
Sep 24, 2008, 12:23 AM
This an old thread (but hardly anything else is new here so...)

MST is a joke of a stat on any class but FT. Any enemy techs that matter will kill both the Cast and Human all the same.
EVP, most melee players seem to prefer less EVP anyways so depending on the player that is a pro or con for them.
TP, Shadoog is generally agreed on to matter only for SEs so the TP advantage of humans don't matter much here, there is a small minority of players who matches element for element with them to do more Shadoog damage. If you prefer more Shadoog damage than would be a pro for you but most people seem to care less about Shadoog damage.

Taking in all that and the fact that the rest of the Cast stats is similar to Human is only a pro-argument for Cast since Paradi is pretty broken even on the current Neu S2s. Makes any of the older missions a joke. Instantly wipe out a troublesome room and clear missions faster or not have that ability and do more Shadoog damage? That's what the question would really come down to between the two.

Well, most fighters hate Evasion most because they don't fucking JC, most aren't even thinking about blocking... so they're never ready to press it.
JC is great, so you waist PP, use a damn charge and get over it, especially since more than half of these complainers are going to go FM and waste a million more PP.

I think S-rank shadoogs on CASTs are the appropriate Shadoogs for them JUST for SE. But an A-rank Shadoog on Human is Win. Try it, the PEW PEW PEW + Melee damage is > Cast.

Gen2000
Sep 24, 2008, 11:21 AM
Try it, the PEW PEW PEW + Melee damage is > Cast.

I already did, when AoI was first released. I defended Arank Shadoog over Srank Shadoog for actual damage if you wanted to go that route long ago but I just don't personally find it that amazing anymore compared to having Paradi.

unicorn
Sep 24, 2008, 01:24 PM
I already did, when AoI was first released. I defended Arank Shadoog over Srank Shadoog for actual damage if you wanted to go that route long ago but I just don't personally find it that amazing anymore compared to having Paradi.

SUV is situational and randomized. As easy as you can get it, you can lose it.

I don't think CAST SUV justifies thousands of damage a Human can do with an [---/RCSM combo]. The only thing CASTs have over Humans are a couple of points in ATP (again, offset by RCSMs anyway) and ATA (and Humans have HIIIGH ATA as AF) and an SUV that requires an S-rank armor with an extra slot.

Gen2000
Sep 24, 2008, 02:40 PM
In RCSM+Melee combos, a bulk of your damage still comes from normal meleeing. RCSMs only shoot ever 2-3 seconds, not every second. If you're actually equipped right, the enemy will still die within the 1st or 2nd combo anyways regardless of the assistance of RCSM damage even with 46%+ Arank RCSMs.

Only Cast classes that struggle with Paradi equipping are Fortefighters and Protransers (less nowadays thanks to Phantom Fissure). The market is flooded with Stormlines to equip, that's not even an issue for AFs.

Maybe because I solo more I prefer Cast AF, it's just more well-rounded (for things that actually matter in battle, not the stats on paper) and that appeals to me more. Paradi takes care of many troublesome rooms very quickly and the AF class in general just have good moves to deal with a variety of situations. In party situations lack of Paradi wouldn't matter since everyone else is picking up your slack for you.

Alastor_Haven
Sep 24, 2008, 02:48 PM
SUV is situational and randomized. As easy as you can get it, you can lose it.

I don't think CAST SUV justifies thousands of damage a Human can do with an [---/RCSM combo]. The only thing CASTs have over Humans are a couple of points in ATP (again, offset by RCSMs anyway) and ATA (and Humans have HIIIGH ATA as AF) and an SUV that requires an S-rank armor with an extra slot.

Situational

????, It's good on everything

randomized?
I have no clue why you put this

Lose it?

It's unlikely your going to die
Unless It's a HOLY SHIT MOB such as Magashi
Or at times soloing
Being frozen by a god dam Kozamli?
Whatever
Still not going to die THAT much

Gen's correct though

Your damage is not the fucking RCSM
It's there to support you
The thing is likely to die from melee damage

unicorn
Sep 24, 2008, 06:08 PM
Situational

????, It's good on everything

randomized?
I have no clue why you put this

Lose it?

It's unlikely your going to die
Unless It's a HOLY SHIT MOB such as Magashi
Or at times soloing
Being frozen by a god dam Kozamli?
Whatever
Still not going to die THAT much

Gen's correct though

Your damage is not the fucking RCSM
It's there to support you
The thing is likely to die from melee damage

You went from "unlikely going to die" to "still not going to die THAT much".

I say its situational because I wouldnt use it on single targets or very few enemies.

If you like playing CAST AF, go ahead, I'm just saying human is statistically better.

Paradi is good, we all know this, but its not available to you 2 out of 3 times huh? Thats why its randomized.

Syl
Sep 24, 2008, 07:24 PM
You went from "unlikely going to die" to "still not going to die THAT much".

I say its situational because I wouldnt use it on single targets or very few enemies.

If you like playing CAST AF, go ahead, I'm just saying human is statistically better.

Paradi is good, we all know this, but its not available to you 2 out of 3 times huh? Thats why its randomized.

I wouldn't say human is better unless you're reaaaaaally using those Shadoogs. A SUV is nothing to scoff at.

Only things a hume has over a CAST in regards to stats is TP, MST, and EVP. Not exactly statistically better for an offensive melee class >_>

Alastor_Haven
Sep 24, 2008, 07:29 PM
Correct

and a RCSM

Isn't much saying it's better

unicorn
Sep 25, 2008, 01:04 AM
I wouldn't say human is better unless you're reaaaaaally using those Shadoogs.

Then just don't use shadoogs. Obviously you shouldn't reeeeeaaaaally be using them.

Enjoy your handguns and cards and paradi that you can use 3 times a mission.

---

I'm not scoffing at Paradi. I mainly play CAST and I love my Paradi, but in AF's situation, I find Humans do VERY well at.

If it was CAST Fighgunner vs a Human Fighgunner (where Humans get a bonus for) then it would be a completely different story. Paradi obliterates anything Humans can do there.

Syl
Sep 25, 2008, 01:37 AM
I'm not scoffing at Paradi. I mainly play CAST and I love my Paradi, but in AF's situation, I find Humans do VERY well at.

Well besides shadoog damage, there's not much anything a human will do better so I don't get your point unless it's purely preference. I'm not saying humans suck as AF, just saying a CAST would do much more for you in terms of DPS and all that jazz. >_>