PDA

View Full Version : Houseflies

Weeaboolits
Jun 27, 2008, 01:50 PM
I HATE them, they are the most irritating creatures, it's a surprise they've survived as well as they have when they're so compelled to fly directly into the face of much larger creatures every waking moment.

CelestialBlade
Jun 27, 2008, 02:00 PM
They can afford to, there's trillions of the little bastards.

Seority
Jun 27, 2008, 02:16 PM
I'd rather have a house full of flies then a house full of mosquitos. ><

CelestialBlade
Jun 27, 2008, 03:12 PM
I'd rather have mosquitos than spiders.

eughgdskhgsdhglklgdlshghsdjghsdkjhfkjdahfhsd

Kylie
Jun 27, 2008, 03:24 PM
I'd rather have mosquitos than spiders.

eughgdskhgsdhglklgdlshghsdjghsdkjhfkjdahfhsd
Ditto. I'd rather have nothing. but anything is better than spiders. :disapprove:

Weeaboolits
Jun 27, 2008, 03:32 PM
Spiders are fine they generally walk across the floor or wall and leave me alone, mosquitos, also hate them, but they at least don't dive bomb your face repeatedly. They're also slower and easier to kill.

SabZero
Jun 27, 2008, 03:57 PM
I never had a fly fly into my face, like, on purpose. Get some of this plant based stuff (http://www.zedan.ch/zedan-produkte.asp) and smell nice. I think it smells nice anyway ;)

I wish the insects would stay outside, where they have space and food. There's nothing in my house for them... I hate having to off them, but I can't catch all of them and release them.

ABDUR101
Jun 27, 2008, 04:05 PM
House flies, not a problem. Silverfish, not a problem. Spiders, not a problem.

Mosquitos, wasps(and bees), earwigs, ants and centipedes; problem.

Why the fuck would you be ok with mosquitos? Atleast house flies aren't biting at you constantly, dur.

SabZero
Jun 27, 2008, 05:08 PM
Don't earwigs eat other pests? (yeah, sort of: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dermaptera)

And silverfish are a problem, they will eat your artwork or other paper things: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lepisma_saccharina

Weeaboolits
Jun 27, 2008, 06:39 PM
House flies, not a problem. Silverfish, not a problem. Spiders, not a problem.

Mosquitos, wasps(and bees), earwigs, ants and centipedes; problem.

Why the fuck would you be ok with mosquitos? Atleast house flies aren't biting at you constantly, dur.I haven't bitten by any in some time, so maybe I'm giving them too little credit, especially since I had a fly dive bombing me and landing on my arms constantly, but the fucker is too fast for me to swat.

ABDUR101
Jun 27, 2008, 09:45 PM
Earwigs are good to eat at other insect populations, however where they tend to like to hide is my issue. I'd prefer free-roaming spiders.

Silverfish, not really an issue here. We still have them through the house; but its an old house and since they aren't poisonous or causing any real trouble; we don't really care.

One could say centipedes are fine too, because they actively hunt other insects; however their bites are akin to bee stings. I've taken plenty of spider bites while I've been asleep; to wake up and see two fang marks next to each other. However, I've also had nests of hornets in a wall of the house and used to get stung pretty much all summer during the night due to them getting under the covers and stinging me on the backs of my legs(right where you knee joint is, imagine having a bee stuck in there as you're bending your leg mid-dream).

So yeah, not a fan of anything like a bee sting; if I get bit and don't realise it until I see the bite mark, fuck if I care. If I get bit/stung and it jerks me awake, getting ice, etc no, not cool.

Aswell, mosquitos aren't something you want in your house. Trust me, one mosquito buzzing at your ear all night and biting you at random on exposed skin; no.

Often when I'm in my room and a fly is crawling on me, I don't bother it; if anything it tickles. I've had flies crawl across my hands while using the house and playing games, weaving their way between my fingers, up my arms, etc. If anything it's a free massage.

Orange_Coconut
Jun 27, 2008, 10:15 PM
Flies only bother me because they're dirty little bastards. Oddly enough, though, our house has been swarming with Horse Flies (which are major bitches). Mosquitoes tend to be a problem here as well sometimes, but this year we haven't really had any inside our house. Personally, I love spiders since they find their own little nook and leave me be.

I think the weirdest infestation we get would be with Lady Bugs. We literally had them swarming in clumps in our mud room. It was only annoying because there were literally dozens of them just forming in one area of our house.

AlexCraig
Jun 27, 2008, 10:23 PM
Most insects don't really bother me. Only three that I can think of at the moment.

Bees: Only because I am allergic to their stings. So I try to avoid at all costs. Took two stings in a week many years back, swelled up something viscious. Took about 8+ from a hive once, I was damn near paralyzed.

Spiders: I am arachnephobic. And there is no way I am getting over that anytime soon. One was crawling on my desk about an hour ago. I yelped loudly backed awak and scrambled for a fly swatter. Yeah, not my cup of tea.

Mosquitoes: Let's face it, not many people can honestly say they like the little bastards. Been on quite a few campouts where I have been given little rest due to them. Heck, on my trip to Canada, we were making supper. When we turned on our flashlights, my friend was sitting in a cloud of them.

ABDUR101
Jun 27, 2008, 10:31 PM
Horse flies, pine flies and mosquitos are always around the pond when we fish(but then so are wasps, bees, gnats and a ton of other creepy crawlies, its a pond in the woods). Definitely not a fan of horse flies or pine flies, evil pricks.

Lady bugs we get swarms of here, although I read somewhere that the swarms we get here aren't real lady bugs, they're a mimic species. They collect on the one side of our house, and when you get out of your vehicle they fly on you, they'll fucking bite. Nasty little fucks, can't remember how many times we've been bitten by them.

Of lesser nuisance; boxelter bugs, or 'graveyard bugs' as we call them. They don't bite, but they do swarm and stick to the one side of our house. If they get inside they seem to have a long tube for a mouth, like a needle and I've seen them what looks to be drilling into our house plants stems. I left one probe my finger once, he got through the layer of skin and it started to her; so I flicked him off.

They actually look like assassin bugs, and there's another name that I can't remember. Ah well.

Tessu
Jun 28, 2008, 10:29 AM
I HATE houseflies.

Because of their tendency to be very curious about what my face will look like UP CLOSE and they constantly fly at me, I've grown to be very afraid of them and the weird buzzing noises they make.

People tell me it's a ridiculous fear because they "can't do anything to you" >_>
As far as other bugs go, as long as they're not huge like flies or crane flies, I can deal with them because I'm okay with killing them.
Big spiders, on the other hand, are a problem. ;\

Either way. Yeah, I agree. Whenever I see a fly in the house, I immediately run for the bathroom and shut the door and run for my room and shut the door so it doesn't go in there. Because you know how flies have a tendency to linger in the bathroom and we're left to helplessly hope it doesn't fly up our...

CelestialBlade
Jun 28, 2008, 12:39 PM
Oh trust me, I'm not saying I like mosquitoes, I'm just a severe arachnophobic.

Nitro Vordex
Jun 28, 2008, 03:40 PM
I have a few webs around my house from spider webs. On another note, I haven't seen any cockroaches in here. ;o

Flies. I hate the bastards. You give me a fly swatter, and a house full of flies...

...it ain't gonna be pretty. :x

CoV-Shana
Jun 28, 2008, 05:24 PM
Being in the desert I've learned a whole new meaning of hatred for flies. Those buggers are insane as most flies you swat at will fly away and maybe leave you alone for a few seconds but THOSE flies will dodge your hand and keep coming. We actually had a board for fly kill count. Also we had those little rolls of sticky paper hanging around everywhere so you'd have to watch where you walk. We had to change those like every other day :(

Oh and there were Camel Spiders. If you happen to hate spiders, you'd be running away screaming at the sight of those things. Also they chase ya too, cause they want to hide in your shadow as they hate the sun.

CelestialBlade
Jun 28, 2008, 06:44 PM
I saw how camel spiders chase your shadows in Man vs. Wild, that'd freak me the fuck out. And that was a SMALL one compared to photos I've seen from Iraq....eeeeugh.

McLaughlin
Jun 28, 2008, 07:03 PM
Houseflies drive me right up the wall with that incessant buzzing they make when they fly around.

Also, I'll take any of the previously mentioned over Deerflies or Horseflies. Those motherfuckers hurt.

CoV-Shana
Jun 28, 2008, 07:43 PM
I saw how camel spiders chase your shadows in Man vs. Wild, that'd freak me the fuck out. And that was a SMALL one compared to photos I've seen from Iraq....eeeeugh.

Yeah, I'm glad I didn't see the big ones, just the half dollar size ones... They look freaky on T.V. but it's much worse when you see one scurry across the floor a few feet away from you.

I'd consider Horseflies far worse as well as they're like when you cross over from A rank to S rank in PSU, now everything is throwing megid at ya. No matter what it is, it sucks.

Weeaboolits
Jul 2, 2008, 01:37 AM
I take back what I said about mosquitos being tolerable, one of the little bastards bit me in the foot. :argh: