PDA

View Full Version : PC Gamepad recommendations

Para
Jun 29, 2008, 10:41 PM
I've been playing PSU PC since the start and I've been using keyboard all this time. However I want to try it out with a controller now... anyone got recommendations?

How does the xplox 360 controller hold up?

darkante
Jun 29, 2008, 10:51 PM
Playstation 1 or 2 controller.
Really works great and i have used for like 2-3 years on the PC.

PrinceBrightstar
Jun 29, 2008, 10:51 PM
Xbox 360 + XBCD 360 modified driver will let you use the trigger buttons. the only weakness is the horrible D-Pad.

The_Gio
Jun 29, 2008, 10:53 PM
Xbox 360 + XBCD 360 modified driver will let you use the trigger buttons. the only weakness is the horrible D-Pad.

horrible? I have no problems with it. I recommend this too,if you dont know how to install XBCD just contact me and ill show you

Celi-Ka
Jun 29, 2008, 11:15 PM
I use a PS2 controller w/ USB converter. Started using it when I played doujin fighters a lot before PSU came out. A converter costs anywhere from $5 to $20. The higher prices cover the 2-player compatible converters.

Nitro Vordex
Jun 29, 2008, 11:17 PM
$15 Knockoff PS2 controller, sans the crappy D-pad. It's a very good controller for me.

Though, I still use the keyboard. Putting down the controller at a crucial time is NOT a good idea. x_X

JeffPaine
Jun 29, 2008, 11:18 PM
The Logitech Rumblepad 2 (or its wireless equivalent, the Cordless Rumblepad 2) is a great gamepad, the one I personally use. It's modeled after the Dualshock controllers, so it should feel pretty familiar. There's a couple of downsides though:
• The analog areas are square instead of circular, which can sometimes make it a little awkward to try and run straight forward
• The area where the start and select buttons are on a PS2 controller now hold the "Mode" and "Vibration" buttons (at least on the Cordless Rumblepad) (Mode swaps left analog and d-pad, vibration turns vibration on and off) Start and select have been moved up a little but you'll find yourself switching vibration on and off when you try to pause

Another great choice is, like others have said, the 360 controller, especially with the XBCD custom drivers.

GregBackwards
Jun 29, 2008, 11:32 PM
I use a PS3 Sixaxis controller. It's nice only because you only need to buy an extra USB cable, instead of a special hub like you would for a PS2 controller. Granted they are a little bit more expensive...

The only thing that needs to be done though is you need to snag the drivers and install a couple things, but that's a really easy set-up. I'm not sure if you'd be able to go wireless though, with a bluetooth dongle, but if it's not possible now, I'm sure it'll be possible soon.

Syl
Jun 29, 2008, 11:36 PM
I use a wireless 360 controller, and IMO feels a lot less flimsy than the PS2 controller. Pretty stupid to set up as XBCD 360 only works with wired 360 controllers. You have install some obscure Japanese drivers. You would also have to buy a wireless USB receiver for it, but the lack of cable is pretty awesome and worth it. The d-pad is horrible, which is a pretty well known case for 360 controllers (have to switch back to my old ps2 controller just to play fighters). The only thing is that feedback (rumble) is messed up because of the drivers ;_;

Alternatively, you can just buy a PS2 USB adapter for like 10 bucks or less and it gets the job done.

Nitro Vordex
Jun 30, 2008, 12:11 AM
The Logitech Rumblepad 2 (or its wireless equivalent, the Cordless Rumblepad 2) is a great gamepad, the one I personally use. It's modeled after the Dualshock controllers, so it should feel pretty familiar. There's a couple of downsides though:
• The analog areas are square instead of circular, which can sometimes make it a little awkward to try and run straight forward
• The area where the start and select buttons are on a PS2 controller now hold the "Mode" and "Vibration" buttons (at least on the Cordless Rumblepad) (Mode swaps left analog and d-pad, vibration turns vibration on and off) Start and select have been moved up a little but you'll find yourself switching vibration on and off when you try to pauseThat's the one.

Jem_Soma
Jun 30, 2008, 12:15 AM
I agree on the xbox 360 controllers. Mostly because I have an extra. Would like to ask about the XBCD drivers since I've just been using it with the normal drivers and if I could get the triggers to work that be great. I went and found the download but if someone could help me out with getting it working right that be great.

Indica
Jun 30, 2008, 12:22 AM
STAY AWAY FROM LOGITECH !!! It's the worst piece of shit controller ever.

Regardless if you spend $20 or $45+, it uses the same internal Blue Rubber piece that makes contact with the circuit board. The buttons will start sticking on you and make things un-playable withing 3-4 Months.

This is a known issue with Logitech and it's not worth it. I even did a Google search and found this a known issue and posted in the Official Forum.

My post is the 2nd to last post of this thread

http://forums.logitech.com/logitech/board/message?board.id=game_console&message.id=134

>

Para
Jun 30, 2008, 12:31 AM
I know that the Xbox 360 controller has a bundle that comes with the wireless receiver which isnt a big issue. (might be easier for me to find...)

I do not have a PS2 controller nor was I a big fan of their controller either. Plus I never really played PS2. Need more imput on this.

What do you people mean by the d-pad being bad? Elaborate on this?

Powder Keg
Jun 30, 2008, 12:33 AM
PS2-USB controller. Costs like 10 bucks at Radio Shack.

Any regular PC gamepad usually sucks, especially the D-pad on it.

EDIT:

What do you people mean by the d-pad being bad? Elaborate on this?

Just as an example, it's worse than using a joystick. The sensitivity can be so messed up that you'll be pressing right but you're only an atom away from pressing up at the same time. Makes fighting games a total nightmare, and since PSU is a real time action I wouldn't even try to cope with one.

Chuck_Norris
Jun 30, 2008, 12:37 AM
I use a PS3 controller personally. I could provide the drivers if you decide to go with that.

Para
Jun 30, 2008, 12:37 AM
PS2-USB controller. Costs like 10 bucks at Radio Shack.

Any regular PC gamepad usually sucks, especially the D-pad on it.

EDIT:

Just as an example, it's worse than using a joystick. The sensitivity can be so messed up that you'll be pressing right but you're only an atom away from pressing up at the same time. Makes fighting games a total nightmare, and since PSU is a real time action I wouldn't even try to cope with one.

Radio Shack went out of business in Canada lol. Would Best Buy have it or Future Shop?

Powder Keg
Jun 30, 2008, 12:38 AM
Radio Shack went out of business in Canada lol. Would Best Buy have it or Future Shop?

Possibly, or any PC store.

Sega011
Jun 30, 2008, 01:16 AM
I've been trying to get the PS3 sixaxis to work on my computer for days. I've tried the drivers (the one with lib32 and the ps3sixaxis_en.exe or whatever it is) as well as the Gamesaike drivers, and neither of them will work on my system... they either never recognize the controller, or the buttons don't register when it is recognized. Any hints?

The_Brimada
Jun 30, 2008, 01:19 AM
STAY AWAY FROM LOGITECH !!! It's the worst piece of shit controller ever.

Regardless if you spend $20 or $45+, it uses the same internal Blue Rubber piece that makes contact with the circuit board. The buttons will start sticking on you and make things un-playable withing 3-4 Months.

This is a known issue with Logitech and it's not worth it. I even did a Google search and found this a known issue and posted in the Official Forum.

My post is the 2nd to last post of this thread

http://forums.logitech.com/logitech/board/message?board.id=game_console&message.id=134

>
I agree here. I've been using the wireless one for two years now. My first one lasted like a week lol (the wireless ones are kinda sensitive...so you cant really ermm "drop" em too hard).

I had an issue with buttons sticking but thats just because I was pretty careless. It was from eating something greasy while playing, but I pried it open and cleaned the gunk out.
Then later on that crappy blue rubber piece broke on my PA button.

Only reason I'm still using it now is because I replaced it with the gray one from my old broken PS1 controller.

Chuck_Norris
Jun 30, 2008, 01:20 AM
I've been trying to get the PS3 sixaxis to work on my computer for days. I've tried the drivers (the one with lib32 and the ps3sixaxis_en.exe or whatever it is) as well as the Gamesaike drivers, and neither of them will work on my system... they either never recognize the controller, or the buttons don't register when it is recognized. Any hints?

Did you hit the PS button?

Nitro Vordex
Jun 30, 2008, 01:26 AM
I agree here. I've been using the wireless one for two years now. My first one lasted like a week lol (the wireless ones are kinda sensitive...so you cant really ermm "drop" em too hard).

I had an issue with buttons sticking but thats just because I was pretty careless. It was from eating something greasy while playing, but I pried it open and cleaned the gunk out.
Then later on that crappy blue rubber piece broke on my PA button.

Only reason I'm still using it now is because I replaced it with the gray one from my old broken PS1 controller.

I've had mine for a few months, it's been fine. *shrugs*

Maybe you guys didn't treat it properly.

Indica
Jun 30, 2008, 01:51 AM
I've had mine for a few months, it's been fine. *shrugs*

Maybe you guys didn't treat it properly.

I guess it depends on what character you are using. If you are a Force or Fighter, you probably will have no problems ever with the controller.

If your a Fortegunner, especially using rifles a lot and constantly hitting the button, it will wear out quick, lol. The blue piece is really cheaply made and designed differently compared to an official Playstation Controller, I guess due to copyrights and all.

The_Brimada
Jun 30, 2008, 02:00 AM
Lol I was playing Guntecher as my main at the time when the rubber piece gave out on me.

Xbow!
...yeah constant shooting those and leveling killer shot(it died when I was leveling this actually) just made it give way.

Ahkaskar
Jun 30, 2008, 02:58 AM
My experience with Logitech was pretty terrible. My wireless pad lasted at least 3 years, but it wasn't what I'd consider a good pad. Ergonomically, it was a failure, and it used 4 AA batteries which seemed to be sucked up far faster than necessary, primarily to fuel the rumble function. It was heavy, and its battery usage tended to remind me of the RC cars I used years ago, which could use upwards of 6 batteries and lasted like 4 hours.

I've been using a Saitek P2900, which works "fine". It has enough buttons to cover all the functions in PSU, which is something that needs to be considered. If you go Saitek, don't bother with a P2600, and make sure the controller has at least 12 buttons. Even if it looks like it has "analog stick buttons" it may not, unless it explicitly says it does.

Truthfully, the best option is to get a PS2 controller and an adapter to plug it into your PC. It has exactly how many buttons you need. I've heard that an XBox 360 controller works quite nicely as well.

AerisZeal
Jun 30, 2008, 03:44 AM
I agree on the xbox 360 controllers. Mostly because I have an extra. Would like to ask about the XBCD drivers since I've just been using it with the normal drivers and if I could get the triggers to work that be great. I went and found the download but if someone could help me out with getting it working right that be great.

*Ta~da!*
http://xbcd360guide.50webs.com/guide.html

I dunno if that'll help you any but I tried. :wink:

On topic; (Even though that kinda was on topic.)

I've been using a 360 wired controller since launch. I'm on my second one, I'm fairly happy with it and though it's not a breeze to set up it's totally worth it. Has a good heft to it, not too heavy not to light, fits the hands nicely.

But for a game that you're normally moving forward in the left joystick gives out pretty easy. (Maybe just in my experience.) My first controller I had to ditch 'cause the joystick started leaning in the upward direction. Causing the character to move in said direction. While it wasn't so bad that it made it unusable, it was bad enough for a gunner, as the lean gave an extra kick upward, often making me misplace shots in first person. My new one has started to do the same, only to the left rather than upward. Though not nearly as bad, if it gets worse it'll have generally the same effect only... to the left.

I'll agree though that the d-pad is silly, you can be scrolling up/down in the item menu and it'll suddenly go to the next page because you "nudged" left/right. Other than that, as I said before, I'm pretty satisfied with it and once this one "goes out" (If it does "go out".) I plan on getting another. :wacko:

ashley50
Jun 30, 2008, 03:47 AM
PS1/PS2 Gamepad...since its also a console/PS2/PS3 game, so its basically the best choice for it.

DreXxiN
Jun 30, 2008, 07:00 AM
I use my ps3 pad and it works wonders.

Jem_Soma
Jun 30, 2008, 07:08 AM
*Ta~da!*
http://xbcd360guide.50webs.com/guide.html

I dunno if that'll help you any but i tried. :wink:

On topic; (Even though that kinda was on topic.)

I've been using a 360 wired controller since launch. I'm on my second one, I'm fairly happy with it and though it's not a breeze to set up it's totally worth it. Has a good heft to it, not too heavy not to light, fits the hands nicely.

But for a game that you're normally moving forward in the left joystick gives out pretty easy. (Maybe just in my experience.) My first controller I had to ditch 'cause the joystick started leaning in the upward direction. Causing the character to move in said direction. While it wasn't so bad that it made it unusable, it was bad enough for a gunner, as the lean gave an extra kick upward, often making me misplace shots in first person. My new one has started to do the same, only to the left rather than upward. Though not nearly as bad, if it gets worse it'll have generally the same effect only... to the left.

I'll agree though that the d-pad is silly, you can be scrolling up/down in the item menu and it'll suddenly go to the next page because you "nudged" left/right. Other than that, as I said before, I'm pretty satisfied with it and once this one "goes out" (If it does "goes out".) I plan on getting another. :wacko:

That did help. Thanks alot. It's nice having those extra buttons after the loss I felt moving from the ps2 to pc.

Sega011
Jun 30, 2008, 07:43 AM
Yes, I've hit the PS button many times, I've held it down, etc, etc...

Para
Jun 30, 2008, 07:49 AM
Ok ok..

So recommendations so far that sound feasible:

a PS2 controller adapted to PC
Advantages: Good d-pad, reliable
Disadvantages: Finding the adaptor

and a Xbox 360 controller.
Advantages: Wireless, easy to find
Disadvantages: possibly poor d-pad, uses batteries, albeit hard to setup

Weeaboolits
Jun 30, 2008, 07:49 AM
Any pad similar to a PS2 pad would work, seeing as the game was designed with that pad in mind.

Para
Jun 30, 2008, 08:02 AM
Then what's with the logitech PS2 pad hate? D:

Weeaboolits
Jun 30, 2008, 08:18 AM
I dunno, maybe that brand sucks.

Para
Jun 30, 2008, 10:18 AM
http://www.factorydirect.ca/catalog/product_spec.php?pcode=LO0326

That's the logitech one? What blue piece are we talking about?

Hmm...

I can't seem to find the PS2 to PC adapter anywhere... however there are definitely some PS3 ones available at the sony store. How are the PS3 ones? Would you say they are better than the 360 ones?

Edit: Hmm... nvm I did find the PS2 controller and adapter just now at The Source... so I guess I have 3 options. PS2, Xbox 360 or Logitech.

Indica
Jun 30, 2008, 01:01 PM
http://www.factorydirect.ca/catalog/product_spec.php?pcode=LO0326

That's the logitech one? What blue piece are we talking about?

You have to physically take apart the controller to get to the blue piece.

I posted this info on page 2-3 of this thread. This blue piece is cheaply made and a lot thinner and designed differently compared to an official Playstation Controller.

When you press a button, the bubble on this blue piece underneath makes contact to the circuit board.

It's a known issue for this blue bubble to wear out and will no longer go up and down anymore.

Regardless if you purchase the cheap $20 Logitech Controller or the $45+ Wireless Logitech Controller, it still uses this same blue piece.

http://7dust.net/PSU/log1.jpg

http://7dust.net/PSU/log2.jpg

The_Brimada
Jun 30, 2008, 01:23 PM
You'd think with the higher cost, they'd be less cheap with the pad...but no. I guess thats their way of trying to get more money from you. lol

Indica
Jun 30, 2008, 02:40 PM
What pisses me off is you cant buy that blue piece and if it's under their so-called warranty you have to ship it in for replacement and would take forever. So your SOL without a controller for a month..lol

I wish I knew who makes that blue piece and would pay $5 for it, even though it costs like .3 cents to make.

Nitro Vordex
Jun 30, 2008, 08:21 PM
I guess I got a good one, because I use my controller A LOT.

Fighting games especially will probably take their toll, as well as PSO/U.

I bought mine at Radio Shack, so I guess I got a good one. :)

ssl118
Jun 30, 2008, 08:59 PM
I have been using the 360 controller and I love it. I don't even have the program to use the triggers. I honestly have enough buttons as is. I used to use a Hammerhead controller if anyone actually remembers that old thing. it was my go to PC game controller for years. 360 is filling the void nicely.