PDA

View Full Version : I lost my job. :(

Ranmaru
Jul 3, 2008, 08:35 PM
Well, I was a custodian in Epcot, Walt Disney World. I worked full time there, but it was so frustrating, so boring, so easy. The only challenge was how to pass the time. I was working there for almost three years, sadly I have been terminated, but only volunteerily. I had gotten a message from a man, named Max R Gold, and he told me I was referred to him by a friend of mine, Angel. Me and him were close friends, so I trusted his claim. I called him back, and he sounded very professional. I was interested, and he asked if I had my career options open, and that he would want to speak to me further. I had set up an appointment with him on the following Tuesday, at 6:45 Pm.

It actually turned out to be an overview, for a company called Primerica, which was a division of Citigroup. Of course, it was legit, just a little bit weird in how they do things. I was interested, but I was still confused. They were very vague, as to how you would get payed, and what you would be doing. Thats how they reel you in. Thing is, the regular work day consists of going to the office for meeting, and then the rest of the day we are looking for candidates to work with us. I am shy, when it comes to going up to random people and giving them a script, which basically means "want to work under me? Our company is awesome". I hated doing that, and sadly, I had went seasonal at Disney, but with short notice, so that was my fault, of course. I truly thought that business would be for me, and kept calling a job a J-O-B, but I was wrong.

So, I was terminated for not calling in for seven days, even though I requested to go seasonal. I was going to the office, working, confronting my fears, but knowing I would not get payed until I got some liscenses. I was going crazy inside, I truly saw the big mistake I made. Now, I have been looking for a job everywhere, and had not found nothing as of late, sadly. Today, I went and turned in my ID and clothes etc. I was hoping to not see my managers, but oh well, I had to turn in my ID to one. So, I met with one of my managers, Sally, and she told me I could re-apply in six months, and I said that I would do that.

So, I regret what I did. I did leave in a bad way sort of, it wasn't right. I just hope I find a job now. I feel like crap, like a failure. Everything I do I do for a while, but nothing comes out of it. I don't know what to do.

Well, if you know how I feel, please, either post a response to my story, or relate a lost job experience. If you read this, thank you for hearing me out. :)

Shadowpawn
Jul 3, 2008, 08:45 PM
Yeah, someone who worked for Primerica tried to do that to me too when I worked at Home Depot a while ago. I saw through the Mutil Level Marketing scheme though and didn't join (in fact I followed up on his offer and called him and manage to weasel enough info out of him to convince myself it wasn't worth taking.) But yeah I know how you feel, being unemployment myself at the moment, and that does suck that you quit your job thinking Primerica was the right choice. Next time do a little research in advance, you have the internet so use that to your advantage.

Ranmaru
Jul 3, 2008, 08:56 PM
Yes, thank you. I have learned from this mistake, hehe. For me though, I wasn't actually cold marketed, I was "referred" from my friend. What they do is, that if you are hired (they hire everybody, whoo hoo) they have a list of ten references to list (funnily enough most of mine were friends and coworkers) and they call them, and they give the same spiel! So, the only referring my friend did was putting my name and number on the paper, as a warm market. They tell you to tell your friends to just go to the overview, and that most will be explained there. They had me list all of my phones contact list, and bam, 30 people on a paper. Six made appointments, none came lol. Never again, Primerica, never again!

Primerica isn't a bad company, it just gets people who are inexperienced with sales, so really the bottom collapses, lol. All the manager cares about is getting to the top, and money, sadly. Its true, its not pretty. My district leader is a really cool, laid back guy, who doesn't like competition at all, but is incouraged to compete. He had school, so for two days he couldn't come, and they were mad at him for not being able to come, and that business was very important. So I guess school isn't important? Meh, I wouldn't not want to continue working with them.

Shadowpawn
Jul 3, 2008, 09:03 PM
You shouldn't be working for them at all. Any job that pays you solely on commission, in my eyes, isn't a real job at all. Instead of waiting to go back to your old job have you considered looking for anything else in your field? You're a custodian right? You should be able find work in a hospital. It may even pay more than your old job.

Ranmaru
Jul 3, 2008, 09:08 PM
True, I have tried in one hospital, but there is one nearest to me I had not tried, but I will. I would laugh if I got payed more than Disney would. I wouldn't mind, either, wouldn't have to deal with pixie dust or being on stage or off. Yes, unemployment sucks, funnily enough, I have been playing PSO more. In the moments of playing pso, I forget that I am in unemployment, but I still don't feel good. I hope I find something soon.

So, for how long have you been in unemployment? Why?

Shadowpawn
Jul 3, 2008, 09:14 PM
About three weeks, the last job I had was seasonal (I thought they were going to keep me on but that didn't happen.) Since the duration was so short I didn't have enough time to find a job that was permanent so now I'm unemployed. However I spent most of that time looking for work so I don't think that's going to last long.

NPCMook
Jul 3, 2008, 09:15 PM
Primerica offered me a Job once, they did a mass interview with everyone and once the pyramid showed up, I simply didn't plan on continueing with this facade anymore. In the interview they mentioned how much money I would be making, but never said how I was to be paid.

Ranmaru
Jul 3, 2008, 09:18 PM
I get so discouraged looking for a job. I wonder if there is a formula to how I must fill out an application, and if things I have done (leaving short notice) and some things I might not have (experience) make it hard for me to get a job? America's jobs are evil and do not take me. D:

Hehe, they do that on purpose. They are very vague (so that you come back to the next meeting), and which is why you have to google their name and see what everybody has to say about them. Earning money through commisions now seems stupid, anyways.

NPCMook
Jul 3, 2008, 09:29 PM
Yeah, to bad that didn't work on me, they tried to use "I had a woman come to us and she told me about how she had trained a new person, and was fired once they finished her training, it turns out she was training her replacement," trying to use sad stories about to try and make me return.

Indeed I dislike the whole "2 years of experience only," how is one supposed to gain experience in said field if you will not hire them. In fact, it took me several months to get a job because I just wasn't "experienced" enough to be in the work place, eventually my friend got me a job at a movie theater as the morning Box Office attendant, and I eventually moved up to Film Projectionist

Ranmaru
Jul 3, 2008, 09:36 PM
I said I would instead go part-time, but I then said I would not be able to come back until I found another job. Although, I still had not found a job, but I won't be going back either way, serves them right. As for friends I may have had made there, I don't know if they will still be my friends or not. If they aren't, then they don't really see the situation I'm in, sadly. But it does not matter to me.

NPCMook
Jul 3, 2008, 09:42 PM
Yeah, I had a lot of work friends, usually once I leave the place of work, I never speak to them again, mostly because we just lose contact

Sekani
Jul 3, 2008, 09:58 PM
I didn't lose my job when I tried to get into Primerica, but I did end up wasting over $300 to get into their web before I found out (quickly) that they're a joke unless you're a hard-core salesman.

Ranmaru
Jul 3, 2008, 10:01 PM
Lol, Sekani, that is very true, indeed. I was even told to go back to disney, because I wasn't getting enough names. They tell you not to listen to negative things, but when your RVP doesn't believe in you, how can you believe in yourself?

Sadly, co-workers I got close with eventually left Disney, sadly. I think that happens everywhere anyways.

Seority
Jul 4, 2008, 02:19 AM
Anyone who recruits you with a vague concept is ALWAYS a type of sales thing.
Sad you lost your job dude. I'm trying to get one my self.
I always thought working at Disney would be fun.

Ranmaru
Jul 4, 2008, 10:08 AM
Working at Disney could be fun, it wasn't for me, as I was a custodian, so I was cleaning stuff up lol. Thanks, hopefully I'll find another in the meantime, hehe. I hope you find one too. ^^