PDA

View Full Version : PS2's Fanbites

Omega_Weltall
Jul 6, 2008, 11:33 PM
so i'm playing PS2 on the PSP Genesis collection and i'm in Uzo Island when I fight a Hit Tail and a Fanbite http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c31/OmegaWeltall/PSU%20Screens/fanbite.gif .
I take care of the Hit Tail, the fanbite attacks Rolf.
Ok, he's at FULL fucking health when he drops FUCKING DROPS! Tombstone and everything!
SINCE WHEN DID THEY HAVE ONE HIT KILLS?!
Out of the billions of times i've played and replayed PS2 on the Genesis, emulators this has NEVER happened!
I dont even remember if it was a Hit Tail it was paired up with I was so surprised pissed off!

Saffran
Jul 7, 2008, 08:00 AM
It's happened to me quite often, though I thought they only were in Climatrol...
Also, there is the possibility you're just too weak, plain and simple. I remember many one hit kills in the later dungeons - I will readily admit that Rolf was never instantly killed though...

Apone
Jul 7, 2008, 10:10 AM
Its been a looong time since I played this game but have you ever noticed the Fanbite missing an unusually high number of attacks? It may have been trying to incapacitate you and it finally proc'd for once.

Omega_Weltall
Jul 7, 2008, 10:41 PM
now that you mention it i have noticed they miss alot. i just though they had bad dex stats

Knight of Time
Aug 28, 2008, 01:17 PM
Yes, the Fanbite is just one of two enemies in PS2 that has a small chance of killing someone in a single hit, I've heard that a Desrona can instant kill someone as well, but it never happened to me, the only time I had a Fanbite instant kill someone in the game was when I was travelling to Piata for the first time with Rolf, Nei, Rudo, and Anna, and Rudo was the victim of a Fanbite I encountered before I reached Piata, so I had to get him cloned there, luckily, that was the only time I had to use the Clone Clown's service, as I defeated Mother Brain eventually in that save.

Nitro Vordex
Sep 18, 2008, 01:26 AM
I really should get the other PS's, as I only got to play IV.

voodlar
May 8, 2009, 01:11 PM
I just recently registered to this site's forums. Due to my age(???), PSII for the Genesis was basically my first serious rpg. (I did have the Intellivision but other than AD&D Tarmin's Treasure -- most other attempts at rpg were neophyte). PSII made me fall in love with these types of games. I eventually played and beat all PS titles except PSI on Master System. -- Maybe I'll do that someday? But PSII is undoubtedly my all time favorite. I've played it through at least 10 times. I still fool with it occasionally for nostalgic reasons. In no way am I the master of it -- and I do have the hintbook -- but I think I've pretty much seen it all on that particular game.

I salute anyone who beat that game and conquered those mazes without a hintbook (especially Ikuto)!!! You are "the man" - persistent too!

I also found the Blastoid strategy very useful for lvls and meseta problems. I never knew about the exact limit but sensed that you shouldn't let them reproduce forever. You can do this with slugmess too but they are a little more dangerous to you at the point in the game where you find them. The blastoids are essentially harmless.

Now to offer my experience on the Fanbite. I noticed everything that people have stated so far. Many monsters have 2 attacks (a normal and a sort of special). While the Locust and Locusta seem to only have normal attacks, I'm thinking that Fanbite's special attack is an inst-kill. The inst-kill doesn't succeed every time which is why he misses you here and there. If he throws his blade and it misses, in my opinion, he just attempted to insta-kill someone and it failed. - lucky you.

I have witnessed insta-kill with Desrona. If it "shines" instead of stabs, (it will only do this to 1 target), that char will die if it succeeds. This attack also fails frequently.

Here's another one: The 2nd reskin of Orangah -- I think it's Ohx. It has a special attack that fails often; but if it succeeds, it will drain all TP from 1 char. Let me know what you think. :-)

The Starbird
May 11, 2009, 08:26 PM
yeah, I've been victim of the Fanbite, but lucky for me, it had attacked Amy with a pair of Ceramic Emels and close to the front (I had her use a Fire Staff as her attack at that point in the game, which later she just used the Wind Scarf, which worked out great because with an extra 80 Defense, she could take a lot of damage and still damage the enemies. I used a similar strategy with Rune in PS4, gave him a pair of Silver Shields and let him have fun with the Flame Sword or Thunder Claw, which made a world of difference in Dezoris and against Machines). The attack dropped her, but the Fanbite was easy enough to kill.

Phantasy Star has been known for OTK monsters. Let's not forget the Vorpal Sphere's Cyanic Bomb attack.

voodlar
May 12, 2009, 07:07 AM
In PS4

Vorpalspheres .... yep ... another good call. The only good thing there is they usually seem to have terrible initiative and go last in the battle (actually...doesn't it take 2 rounds for them to get that suicide bomb off?) Unless of course they get the suprise on the group :-o

In PS2

Believe it or not, I use Amy against Darkforce and MotherBrain. Deban once, then sashu / saner all the way. Oh yeah.. let the main have the snow crown in his inventory ( I know he cant equip it.) The Deban is crucial first!! I would actually put him on that snow crown use and Amy on deban in case DF silences one of them. Once you get the deban up...it should be smoother sailing from there. After a few sashu's , you got him .. doesn't matter what DF does at that point.

The Starbird
May 12, 2009, 07:21 PM
In PS4

Vorpalspheres .... yep ... another good call. The only good thing there is they usually seem to have terrible initiative and go last in the battle (actually...doesn't it take 2 rounds for them to get that suicide bomb off?) Unless of course they get the suprise on the group :-o

In PS2

Believe it or not, I use Amy against Darkforce and MotherBrain. Deban once, then sashu / saner all the way. Oh yeah.. let the main have the snow crown in his inventory ( I know he cant equip it.) The Deban is crucial first!! I would actually put him on that snow crown use and Amy on deban in case DF silences one of them. Once you get the deban up...it should be smoother sailing from there. After a few sashu's , you got him .. doesn't matter what DF does at that point.

I use Amy throughout the game, but I give the Snow Crown to Anna because she is the fastest of my final group (Rolf, Rudo, Amy, Anna). Deban is crucial if you're in the low-mid 30s in level, once you hit the 40s, not so much. Deban or not, Dark Force can still win easily.

That, and everybody has a GiRes item, two Star-Mists and a Moon Dew. I wrote a walkthrough on gamefaqs on all the original PS games.

voodlar
May 15, 2009, 07:28 AM
The last few times I've played the game thru, I usually hit DF in the mid 30s sometimes higher. Maybe because I enjoy the first half of the game more than the second. My strategy is pretty similar to yours. However I use Kain instead of Anna. I like his Nagaj (when he gets it off). He needs a neishield and Amy an emel. The deban is an absolute difference maker for me -- but you're right, Df can still wipe you out quickly -- it's not a battle saver. However, like you, I arm all characters with trimates and a couple starmists (and maybe a moon dew). If you can get deban, a few sashus (def + for all) off, you can take 2 lightning hits without dying. Without the shield/emel - Kain and Amy can't. This gives you a "warning round" so you know that char must heal or be healed. If I've used saner enough, there's a better chance of everyone going before DF but no guarantee. I've already gone like 30 some rounds (not sure) because of everyone being "greedy" or "crushed by despair" and had the neisword flash 3 times in one battle. My strategy is a bit cowardly and time consuming, but it keeps the characters alive. Motherbrain is powerless against it if I keep someone healing Amy for like 3 rounds (at first) regardless of whether or not she gets hit.

The Starbird
May 17, 2009, 06:47 PM
The last few times I've played the game thru, I usually hit DF in the mid 30s sometimes higher. Maybe because I enjoy the first half of the game more than the second. My strategy is pretty similar to yours. However I use Kain instead of Anna. I like his Nagaj (when he gets it off). He needs a neishield and Amy an emel. The deban is an absolute difference maker for me -- but you're right, Df can still wipe you out quickly -- it's not a battle saver. However, like you, I arm all characters with trimates and a couple starmists (and maybe a moon dew). If you can get deban, a few sashus (def + for all) off, you can take 2 lightning hits without dying. Without the shield/emel - Kain and Amy can't. This gives you a "warning round" so you know that char must heal or be healed. If I've used saner enough, there's a better chance of everyone going before DF but no guarantee. I've already gone like 30 some rounds (not sure) because of everyone being "greedy" or "crushed by despair" and had the neisword flash 3 times in one battle. My strategy is a bit cowardly and time consuming, but it keeps the characters alive. Motherbrain is powerless against it if I keep someone healing Amy for like 3 rounds (at first) regardless of whether or not she gets hit.

Yeah, that is a solid strategy. I used to use Kain, but I found that he's only really good in the Dams and when first going to Dezo. Hugh would be a better choice when going for the Nei Items if his techs went off. Anna is fast and is an excellent support character, especially with the Snow Crown.

The only one I do not recommend using much of the game is Shir. Just get her to level 10, steal a Visiphone, then be done with her unless you need to steal. Though she does learn NaGra and NaZan, her low TP allows her to use it about 2-3 times.