PDA

View Full Version : Grenade Launchers?

Sega011
Jul 7, 2008, 02:45 PM
I just got Fortegunner on my cast before I get WT on my beast, and I bought a grenade launcher... WTF? They're so awkward... how does anyone use them effectively?

Turb0
Jul 7, 2008, 02:51 PM
They're mostly used for big enemies with multiple targets like drua gohras and bosses (things that don't get sent flying). Try it out on a dragon boss and you'll see it has a pretty high damage potential. If you're planning on staying fortegunner, I'd recommend picking up boma duranga (50 frags). It hurts you, but as long as you have some trimates it's much, much stronger than elemental grenades.

Anduril
Jul 7, 2008, 02:51 PM
In my opinion they are more "Dragon Killers" than anything else. Some people can find use, like using it for air strike in certain areas, but they do really shine on Ragen, Ragnus and all their reskins.

Alia
Jul 7, 2008, 02:53 PM
They're mostly used for big enemies with multiple targets like drua gohras and bosses (things that don't get sent flying). Try it out on a dragon boss and you'll see it has a pretty high damage potential. If you're planning on staying fortegunner, I'd recommend picking up boma duranga (50 frags). It hurts you, but as long as you have some trimates it's much, much stronger than elemental grenades.

Definitely get Durega. It's 50 Frags well spent.

chaoskila
Jul 7, 2008, 02:56 PM
dragon killer.
only think its good at doing.

panzer_unit
Jul 7, 2008, 02:57 PM
Grenades are a win button against 90% of the large monsters out there and all of the most annoying small ones (orcdillians and worms). They do nice damage, hit hard with statuses, and every shot staggers or knock the thing down so they can't fight back.

Sometimes you'll see enemies closing in on a teammate who can't fight their way out and the knockback saves their butt.

All you have to do is get a feel for the range and AOE on the shell, you can only do that by using them a lot.

Ri0T
Jul 7, 2008, 03:28 PM
Knockback, nuuu~! >_<

Please, if I ever run with anyone with my FF and I am about to die in a mob of creatures, let my sorry ass die. I'd rather that then be the excuse for sending the whole mob sprawling into the nether reaches of the map.

Awesome for dragons, tho. Yah. :3

Alastor_Haven
Jul 7, 2008, 03:28 PM
Bosses / Large mobs

Ri0T
Jul 7, 2008, 03:43 PM
Oh, and also... don't use them on Bil De Vears unless no one is around. D:

ashley50
Jul 7, 2008, 03:48 PM
Oh, and also... don't use them on Bil De Vears unless no one is around. D:
No...its better for him to know the pros and Cons of each weapon on his own.

Para
Jul 7, 2008, 04:00 PM
Boma Maga = excellent support when there's no PT around.

Generic PAs / Duranga = destroyer of de ragan and clones (also good against druas and other monsters with 3 or more attack points)

Tetsaru
Jul 8, 2008, 06:50 AM
*throws in his 2 cents*

Grenades are best used for the dragon bosses, Drua Gohras... and that's about it, sadly. I wouldn't suggest using them on large mobs; I'd suggest either a laser (if they're in a tight formation), or a shotgun (if in a wide formation). They're MUCH easier to aim, and you won't be pissing off any of the melee fighters by knocking enemies around, lol... though, if your aim is good, you can keep enemies knocked into a corner or wall until they die, but that's usually only good for a laugh nowadays. :3

It's MUCH more beneficial to get your rifle bullets to lv31+ if you're playing FG. You'll be able to keep enemies knocked DOWN instead of BACK, and at much faster rate. Also, you'll pumping out lv4 SE's instead of the grenades' lv3 SE's. Also, keep in mind that, should you decide to go Gunmaster later on (if we ever get it...), you won't be able to use grenade launchers anyway.

As for bullet recommendations, Boma Duranga trumps all the others damage-wise by a longshot, though some people don't like the reflect damage it causes. I've gotten to where I can KO myself with it against Alterazgoug in about 3 or 4 shots, lol... but doing about 1700+ damage x4 is well worth it, imo. Otherwise, just pick an elemental bullet that you like. I wouldn't waste my time getting Boma Maga either; it only hits one target at first until you level it up, has HORRIBLE stat modifiers, a large PP cost, and the freeze effect doesn't last that long... though keep in mind that I deleted this PA LOOOOONG ago because I hated it, lol... >_< If you REALLY want to freeze something... use Frozen Shot, or just go PT and use a Freeze EX trap.

DAMASCUS
Jul 8, 2008, 11:34 AM
I found a couple of alternative uses for grenades can be good too.

- Circle around behind a mob and nail them a couple times to send enemies TOWARD your teammates. That will incapacitate them immediately and make them fodder. Just be sure to stop after the first couple grenades.

- In certain cases you can intercept a problematic mob like vandas and corral them into a corner. Once they are confined to the corner they can be taken out much quicker. But again...just remember to STOP shooting once they're under control.